Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Puppy Time posted:

It can be really hard for artists with only basic training to draw body types other than the default they learned. Check out Medieval and Renaissance pictures of the Madonna and child and see how many Baby Jesuses are basically midgets with weird heads.

I read this Quantum Leap comic where Sam inspires Steven Seagal as a child (also, um, hello, this actually happened), but the kid Steven Seagal had like an adult head on a kid body. Like maybe they thought nobody would believe it was kid Seagal, despite his mother inexplicably calling him by his full name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Infamous Sphere posted:

There's another thing to consider - Australia is not a huge creator of content. We do create content, and we do have a content law similar to Canada (I think it's 55% content) but we've got something like 7% of the US' population. So we import a lot of TV and movies. BBC stuff goes to ABC (our public broadcasting, government funded), American stuff usually goes to commercial television because it's more expensive and commercial channels are more likely to pay for licensing, and SBS (also public broadcasting, but it has ads now unfortunately) takes most of the subtitled and/or sexy stuff. I'm not sure how frequently the average Australian watches subtitled content, but the average Australian most definitely watches non-Australian content on a regular basis.
All of this is just free-to-air TV. I've never had cable.

SBS shows subtitled Asian game shows and is, therefore, objectively the best channel on television. When I was in Australia, I caught a couple of episodes of If You Are The One, China’s most popular and most brutal dating show, on SBS and I was hooked.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
SBS on Demand also has a lot of unusual gay movies and a whole section devoted to sexy movies just called "let's get it on" or something to that tune. Needless to say, SBS was the channel that aired Masters of Sex.
However, the channel itself used to only have ads between programmes and now they have them jammed in every 15 minutes, which is just annoying - compared to ABC which has no ads.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

That really sucked, the show literally ends with the bugs sending in another wave to earth and the heroes screwed. The show wasn't perfect, but I quite liked it. My only real gripes are with the spotty first campaign, where they were still trying to figure out if they were going for a more childish or more adult tone for the show. You get some downright awful lines like "Really deep doo-doo!" alongside episodes where Carth Onasi's squad gets murdered by arachnids. And I suppose Dizzy's voice actress bugs me, as well, but that's one mediocre va amongst a really solid cast.

Does anyone remember the Heavy Gear CGI series on Fox Kids? I think it had a similar sort of visual style.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember the Heavy Gear CGI series on Fox Kids? I think it had a similar sort of visual style.

You, me, and maybe two other people in the world :sigh:. And I'll see your Heavy Gear and raise you War Planets: Shadow Raiders.

DRAGONS FOREVER!

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Also for fans of SBS their online service is currently running The Story of Film, which is an excellent TV documentary series and well worth a watch. I think Kyle has referenced it a few times.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

achillesforever6 posted:

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/the-avengers-between-the-lines-7189206
Interesting video on superheros by Kyle

E: I learned more about the MCU and superhero movies than any musing from CD on how "bad" the MCU is and how I should not like these bad movies which are killing the art that is cinema

I don't know about cinema, I just really hope they start failing because most of them bore me to tears and I keep getting dragged to them.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't know about cinema, I just really hope they start failing because most of them bore me to tears and I keep getting dragged to them.

Puh-reach. Saw a facebook friend's early review from an Age of Ultron screening, and he said it was super-duper lorey and overcomplicated and bloated, with that specific homogeneous Marvelverse tone as homogeneous as it's ever been. This is a guy who's really into the Marvel-movieverse for that reason, so it was a kinda-positive review, just cautioning others. But his take was "Guardians of the Galaxy times 20, in both the good and bad ways." Uggggggggh. Not my bag. Will be so glad when the superhero movie bubble pops and we maybe get some kind of trend that's not so much the exact same bowl o' cereal in every film. I know it's all product, but give me a different flavor every now and then for chrissake.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jay O posted:

Puh-reach. Saw a facebook friend's early review from an Age of Ultron screening, and he said it was super-duper lorey and overcomplicated and bloated, with that specific homogeneous Marvelverse tone as homogeneous as it's ever been. This is a guy who's really into the Marvel-movieverse for that reason, so it was a kinda-positive review, just cautioning others. But his take was "Guardians of the Galaxy times 20, in both the good and bad ways." Uggggggggh. Not my bag. Will be so glad when the superhero movie bubble pops and we maybe get some kind of trend that's not so much the exact same bowl o' cereal in every film. I know it's all product, but give me a different flavor every now and then for chrissake.

Have you checked out Daredevil yet? It's Marvel really shifting tone and it's probably the best thing they've done in a while. It's not lore heavy at all, as I recall it mentions the greater MCU but it's very much used as a backdrop for a street level hero. The fight choreography works amazingly well and it's really moved away from the sort of "punch a guy through 40 walls" thing you see in a lot of the main line movies, it's got a very dark and at times brutal feel to it.

It's Marvel trying something new and drat if it's not a breath of fresh air, the Jessica Jones and Luke Cage shows are gonna be so awesome :allears:

It also helps that the main villain loving rules.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 15, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't worry, Disney is already preparing another multi-stage film franchise project in the event that the MCU fails. Hope you enjoy getting two star wars films a year for the next decade!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Have you checked out Daredevil yet? It's Marvel really shifting tone and it's probably the best thing they've done in a while. It's not lore heavy at all, as I recall it mentions the greater MCU but it's very much used as a backdrop for a street level hero. The fight choreography works amazingly well and it's really moved away from the sort of "punch a guy through 40 walls" thing you see in a lot of the main line movies, it's got a very dark and at times brutal feel to it.

It's Marvel trying something new and drat if it's not a breath of fresh air, the Jessica Jones and Luke Cage shows are gonna be so awesome :allears:

It also helps that the main villain loving rules.

The Netflix series are probably the only really interesting superhero stuff to come, since their very formats demand something different.

Except maybe the eventual crossover.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Netflix series are probably the only really interesting superhero stuff to come, since their very formats demand something different.

Except maybe the eventual crossover.

Do you mean the crossover with the main MCU films or the Defenders series the Netflix stuff is leading to? Jessica Jones is also planned to have a very different style as well, it looks to be an Alias sort of detective/spy story and the actor playing Luke Cage said his show is much more adult than the other MCU stuff so I see the crossover with all three of them working out pretty well. I don't think there are plans to bring them to the main stuff if I recall right.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Do you mean the crossover with the main MCU films or the Defenders series the Netflix stuff is leading to? Jessica Jones is also planned to have a very different style as well, it looks to be an Alias sort of detective/spy story and the actor playing Luke Cage said his show is much more adult than the other MCU stuff so I see the crossover with all three of them working out pretty well. I don't think there are plans to bring them to the main stuff if I recall right.

The Defenders, because I don't see a crossover being interesting for 13 hours.

e: Which they've probably realised too, so 'maybe'.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 15, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Defenders, because I don't see a crossover being interesting for 13 hours.

Well it all depends on, of course, what they do with it. If we're talking Avengers style quips and poo poo yeah that'll suck after 13 hours, but first it's just a miniseries PLUS I think if it's a street level situation like we see with DD it could work really well. A good writer can make anything work.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jay O posted:

It kind of hurts that I'm not very interested in most of the characters heading up the MCU. I like the Hulk, but he's been out of the spotlight for a while. GoG was a bit better because it was composed of characters I barely knew anything about. Was kind of hoping for Dr. Strange to be worth something, but Benedict Cumberbatch, while a decent actor, bodes ill.

Also yeah, same bowl of cereal in every film.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm totally okay with riding the superhero film train over and over again, because they're actually fun to watch. I'd rather watch a million fun movies about dudes in brightly colored costumes beating up hammy supervillains than the glut of dreary cynical bullshit that just seemed so everpresent for a while.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm totally okay with riding the superhero film train over and over again, because they're actually fun to watch. I'd rather watch a million fun movies about dudes in brightly colored costumes beating up hammy supervillains than the glut of dreary cynical bullshit that just seemed so everpresent for a while.
Basically I'm on the same boat, that and while they all have a template in terms of style and humor, they do try to differentiate themselves enough that I don't feel like its this bland cereal product that I'm eating over and over.

Also I doubt the superhero movie bubble is going to burst anytime soon, I mean people have been saying that for about a decade now. People love this stuff and it isn't like people didn't stop watching Westerns or James Bond flicks.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

One person's fun is another person's tv troper elbowing you violently in the ribs and telling you how much fun we're having.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

One person's fun is another person's tv troper elbowing you violently in the ribs and telling you how much fun we're having.

I mean, is the glut of superhero movies THAT bad? There's plenty of other blockbusters, horror films, comedies, indie films and stuff out there to watch. Superhero stuff makes up a fraction of what is out there.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sounds more like you're just insufferable and mardy. It takes a real git to get angry at folks enjoying something and shouting loudly into space about how they should hate it and how worthless it is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

I mean, is the glut of superhero movies THAT bad? There's plenty of other blockbusters, horror films, comedies, indie films and stuff out there to watch. Superhero stuff makes up a fraction of what is out there.

It really wouldn't be if my nerd friends didn't keep dragging me to them.

I realize this is my problem and no one else's, but it sucks anyway.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sounds more like you're just insufferable and mardy. It takes a real git to get angry at folks enjoying something and shouting loudly into space about how they should hate it and how worthless it is.

It is really, really, deeply okay that you are enjoying movies I don't enjoy. I don't like them. Neither of us are assholes for this fact.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

sever

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It is really, really, deeply okay that you are enjoying movies I don't enjoy. I don't like them. Neither of us are assholes for this fact.

I dunno, wanting things to fail just because your friends like you enough to have you around and engage in things they like kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I never have this happen to me and I don't know why... oh wait now I do :smith:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I dunno, wanting things to fail just because your friends like you enough to have you around and engage in things they like kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh my GOD.

Yes, I am a monster for not liking a movie. What a terrible, terrible person I am for not enjoying a movie. Where the gently caress do I get off.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are you guys trying to burn this guy over Marvel movies?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

you could tell them that you hate superhero movies instead of sitting in the theatre with your arms crossed all miserable

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find all of the weird hyperbole and defensive posturing way more exaggerated and mean than anything that guy said.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Do not even ask posted:

you could tell them that you hate superhero movies instead of sitting in the theatre with your arms crossed all miserable

I don't want to be a party pooper and I like to hang out with them at any rate.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Why are you guys trying to burn this guy over Marvel movies?

Wait for my next act, when I say everyone who likes Gurren Lagann is Literally A Nazi.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oh my GOD.

Yes, I am a monster for not liking a movie. What a terrible, terrible person I am for not enjoying a movie. Where the gently caress do I get off.

You didn't say you don't like them. You said you want them to fail. I viciously dislike Nicholas Sparks movies, but I don't give a flying gently caress about if other people go see them, or how much money they make.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

You didn't say you don't like them. You said you want them to fail. I viciously dislike Nicholas Sparks movies, but I don't give a flying gently caress about if other people go see them, or how much money they make.

I am just going to stop right now, because it is clear that nothing I say will make people stop jumping down my throat over this,

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

In passing like a page ago, and in the context that they would like to see the studio do something they liked more.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DStecks posted:

Basically this. You say you don't want to be a party pooper but you also say you want a bunch of people to lose money and jobs, and for your friends to be disappointed because you don't like something. Because if they start failing, that's basically what's gonna happen.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo guys I think Marvel can handle one dude saying he wishes they stopped making movies, he didn't say he wished the a charity would stop existing or something.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope transformers movies stop getting made.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Shut the gently caress up about superhero movies and how good/bad they are you impossible nerds.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It's still way dumb to pay money to sit in a cinema and watch a movie you hate. Is your social life that hard up that you can't just say, "Nah, man, not my thing, but let's hang out later in the week" or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Marvel films are boring phoned-in trash and I wish Michael Bay would direct them all to piss nerds off.

• Locked thread