Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's... more than one point worth of upgrade. Especially since that wording still works with PTL, so you could take an R2, do that, immediately PTL to get a focus/TL, and then do a green hard 2 to end up stress free with awesome position and no lost offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

zVxTeflon posted:

X-wings are in a weird spot. They aren't really bad or over costed and I think a fix would be a simple as a few more decent astros. Something like that one that lets you boost and target lock I one action only without that horrible arc restriction and maybe some sort of wingman type area of effect stress clearing astro.

so, you mean, an astromech that lets you :q:do a loving barrel roll:q:

Seriously though cheaper torpedoes would be cool, considering how literally no one uses them? If I have that right? Lock s-foils for some kind of 5-straight at some point could be a mildly gratifying tide-me-over. The problem is most possible fixes feel super hacky so I agree that a mess of astros is likely the most feasible. Can't help but feel sorta bummed that the titular ship....just isn't that good, and that the revisitation (Rebel Transport) felt wasted.

But enough whining out of me, instead I ask: anyone got any good X-wing only builds? Or any good uses for Janson/Porkins/Hobbie/Tarn? All I have right now is a stupidly loaded all stars list, which I feel would get me wiped in any serious competition:

Wedge + R5-K6 + Push the Limit
Biggs + R5-P9 + Stealth Device
Luke + R2-D2 + Draw Their Fire

And is also boring as gently caress to fly because all you do is truck down one side of the board tanking damage between Biggs and Luke while Wedge kicks back and leaves the controller on autofire.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I kind of like my Opportunist/Wes build, but I usually run Keyan and his B-Wing because it works so well with taking that Opportunist stress.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Strobe posted:

That's... more than one point worth of upgrade. Especially since that wording still works with PTL, so you could take an R2, do that, immediately PTL to get a focus/TL, and then do a green hard 2 to end up stress free with awesome position and no lost offense.

The difficulty is any upgrade that increases the cost considerably is basically a stealth upgrade to the B-Wing. You're right in that it is undercoated, especially with the PTL interaction I overlooked. Intended it to act as a decloak style reposition.

I see X-Wings as a lot more maneuverable than what is seen on the table. As it stands they're down there with Y-Wings in terms of maneuvering.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

X-Wing Title - Trench Runner

After revealing a white straight maneuver, you may take a free Boost action and immediately acquire a target lock. You may NOT perform any more actions this phase.

“Biggs, Wedge, let’s close it up. We’re going in. We’re going in full throttle.” - Luke Skywalker

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Why specifically white? Putting on an R2 Astromech would suddenly remove fully 1/3 of the conditions under which it triggers, and would restrict it to only higher speed maneuvers, making it utterly useless for dealing with ships that are already good arc dodgers.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Strobe posted:

Why specifically white? Putting on an R2 Astromech would suddenly remove fully 1/3 of the conditions under which it triggers, and would restrict it to only higher speed maneuvers, making it utterly useless for dealing with ships that are already good arc dodgers.

Because it works thematically with the whole "full throttle" thing for a cool movie tie-in. But I see what you mean, maybe change it to just a straight maneuver.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Would there be any way to make something like this work within the rules with any elegance?

Ionic Gyroscope

After you make a K-turn, you may perform a [action].

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PJOmega posted:

Would there be any way to make something like this work within the rules with any elegance?

Ionic Gyroscope

The card you're looking for is called "Adrenaline Rush", except Adrenaline Rush is better (and is still only 1 point).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Strobe posted:

The card you're looking for is called "Adrenaline Rush", except Adrenaline Rush is better (and is still only 1 point).

Errr, thank you but no, I'm actually asking the question I asked. Thank you though, I'd forgotten AR was even a card.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I haven't gotten a chance to play this semester, meaning I haven't touched Scum yet. What are some popular builds for them?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to play this semester, meaning I haven't touched Scum yet. What are some popular builds for them?

Two Aggressors is a really popular list, but it's super boring.

What you really want are Y-Wings.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Strobe posted:

Unless his card is multi-use. Isn't AR one use only?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It is, but I'm struggling to imagine the utility (or necessity to the game) you'd get from having a modification that lets you K-turn every other turn and get an action in something that isn't a Defender. The card sounds like a crutch, at best.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
I ran my improved Sum mini-swarm list last night.

Serissu (20)
Swarm Tactics (2)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)

3 X
Tansarii Point Veteran (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)

Flew against Kath with PTL, security droid, inertial dampeners and engine upgrade, Kaa'to Leeachos with HSB, Syndicate Thug with BTL-A4 and an Ion Canon. My opponent had to move 2 of his 3 ships first due to my Vets being PS7 so I found it easier to manoeuvre and Serissu's ability really helped on a few rolls so my ships stayed alive longer, although I had to punch through a bunch more shields than ever before so that the crits would start to bite. I destroyed the Y, lost two Vets, critted Kath so she couldn't use PTL or her ability and had her at 1 hull left. Then I lost Serissu and things were looking bleak but it wasn't impossible to come back from that considering my opponent had 1 hull on Kath and 2 hull on the Z95.

Around this time though we realised that my opponent had mixed up his scum dials when assembling them and his Z95 dial was actually a Firespray and vice versa we decided to call the game and make it null. Afterwards I realised I had totally forgotten to use Swarm Tactics the whole game but it was less important than if I had taken along a Cartel Spacer or two.

I really enjoyed flying this list with the higher PS. I found it better to fly and they survived longer so I got to dole out a bunch of crits. The ships are just so fragile though so it really is a risk/reward calculation.

Next I'm going to try some different combinations of the pilots and the cannons, mixing in an ion, flechette, HLC, Autoblaster etc. to see how that goes.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Ionic Gyroscope

While it isn't exactly what you are looking for, advanced sensors is pretty close. You can take an actio directly before the K-Turn which will let you do everything but a boost action to change your facing afterward.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Endman posted:

Two Aggressors is a really popular list, but it's super fun.

What you really want are evil robots.

FTFY. Jokin aside though Ive had alot of fun running Kath with 2 Z-95s and scyk interceptor.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Strobe posted:

It is, but I'm struggling to imagine the utility (or necessity to the game) you'd get from having a modification that lets you K-turn every other turn and get an action in something that isn't a Defender. The card sounds like a crutch, at best.

It's being thrown into a group hack x-wing board game/RPG thing as a possible talent.

Basically, was seeing if someone could think of wording off of existing templates that could allow actions to be taken while stressed.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I need to run a Tycho with PTL and something else to add stress. Just pour the stress onto him until he cracks, see how high I can get it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cobbsprite posted:

I need to run a Tycho with PTL and something else to add stress. Just pour the stress onto him until he cracks, see how high I can get it.

EI, Expert Handling, Daredevil. Three stress a turn.

Endman
May 18, 2010

It would be hilarious if both you and your opponent ran out of stress tokens.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I have more than three dozen stress tokens.

I can see I need to bring a bigger bag of tokens.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'd prefer to see something that emphasises the versatility of the X-Wing. If the A-Wing is the speedy arc dodger, and the B-Wing was the heavy bruiser, canonically (especially in the games, which FFG have been drawing from notably, generally ignoring the books, something I think is probably Disney/Lucas derived) the X-Wing has always been prized for being versatile, so something that gives it options would be preferable to a flat buff.

How about a Modification or Title like....

S-Foils in Attack Position (x)
At the start of the Combat phase, you may choose to either increase your primary weapon value by 1 and decrease your agility value by 2, or increase your agility value by 1 and decrease your primary weapon value by 2. You may not make secondary weapon attacks this round. This lasts until the end of the Combat Phase.

This permits the X-Wing one of three unique profiles per turn:
    3 Red / 2 Green
    4 Red / 0 Green (No Secondaries)
    1 Red / 3 Green (No Secondaries)
And if that makes the X-Wing the premier, 'main' Rebel ship, well, that's fine, that's the point, isn't it?

E: Added clarity text to prevent obvious FAQ'ing of 'Can I buff my Red forever', because players are dicks.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 15, 2015

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
How about something that reduces the cost of proton torpedoes and lets X-Wings make secondary weapon attacks out of arc, like the B-Wing pilot?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
No one will ever use something that reduces red dice by two for one measly green die.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No one will ever use something that reduces red dice by two for one measly green die.

Except the next time at the start of the Combat phase where there's nothing in arc anyway, so why not?

E: I didn't include a cost, but thought considering you always 'lose' a point overall to utilise the skill, I'd expect it to be relatively low, both in terms of points cost but also 'opportunity cost' in terms of slot it occupies.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 15, 2015

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009
How about an 1pt upgrade/modification that semi-emulates boba fetts ability/Inertial dampeners?

"When you reveal a green or white maneuver, you may instead do the same maneuver at +1 speed. This new maneuver is Red."

So a green straight 2 could become a red straight 3 / left bank 2 becomes a red left bank 3. Gives you some maneuverability options vs low PS pilots/blockers.

*Edit* Welp, forgot about Stay on Target, basically the same thing.

Spamius fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 15, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Shockeh posted:

Except the next time at the start of the Combat phase where there's nothing in arc anyway, so why not?

E: I didn't include a cost, but thought considering you always 'lose' a point overall to utilise the skill, I'd expect it to be relatively low, both in terms of points cost but also 'opportunity cost' in terms of slot it occupies.

Like no joke man, I wouldn't use that title unless it was negative points, because it's basically useless unless you have hosed up and are facing nothing. Which is the problem with X-Wings that people want fixed. 0 Agility is not worth 1 extra Red 99% of the time, and 3 Agility isn't enough to actually make you impossible to hit. The X-Wing's basic stats are fine, it just needs to be able to actually face the enemy without piling on Engine Upgrades that make it too expensive.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Why do Advanced and Inteeceptors just get straight up fixes but X-Wings have to get hilarious drawbacks to use boost or barrel roll

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'd like to further iterate on my Trenchrunner title idea.

Add the boost icon to your action bar.

After boosting you may immediately acquire a target lock, then receive a stress token.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The fix is easy. Kill like 17 birds with one stone.

R* astromech
2pts
Add Boost to your action bar.

R* Astromech
2pts

Add Barrel Roll to your action bar.

Rebels finally have droids worth using outside of R5-A3 and R2-D2. They are also priced intelligently. Y-Wings and X-Wings get a much needed fix and the E-Wing gets possibly slightly better. :getin:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Having yet another Astromech is such a boring fix, though.

I really liked the TIE Advanced fix because it tied in with the film where Darth Vader target-locks Luke and blows up R2-D2, and it was fairly creative, making the fix a kind of fun thing to have.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's also convoluted as hell and FFG as gently caress:

"We'll fix the Advanced by giving it a title that gives it access to system upgrades but at -4 cost and then have a 5 cost system upgrade that can only be given to the Advanced, yeah, that's a smooth fix"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Endman posted:

Having yet another Astromech is such a boring fix, though.

I really liked the TIE Advanced fix because it tied in with the film where Darth Vader target-locks Luke and blows up R2-D2, and it was fairly creative, making the fix a kind of fun thing to have.

Having good astromechs that are actually worth using isn't boring at all, as a Rebel player.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
New X-Wing Title: Republic Refit

3 points

Add the boost icon to your action bar. If you have an astromech equipped you may reroll 1 blank (green or red?) Per turn.

There, something to make the X-Wing a useful dogfighter, and a flavorful ability that fits the pilot/astro combo.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Tekopo posted:

It's also convoluted as hell and FFG as gently caress:

"We'll fix the Advanced by giving it a title that gives it access to system upgrades but at -4 cost and then have a 5 cost system upgrade that can only be given to the Advanced, yeah, that's a smooth fix"

I'll happily suffer FFG's inelegant problem solving for a cool movie tie-in that makes Darth Vader a fun pilot to play, but maybe that's just me.

But then I'd also take Biggs, Porkins, Dave and Dutch if it was possible cram them into 100 points to a tournament just to lose with the iconic pilots who died in the trench run.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Darth Vader was always viable, the ATC just kicks him into overdrive.

Stele is gonna really benefit from the change though and actually make him worth picking since his special is actually kind of good, just crippled by the 2 dice Advanced attack and unreliable ways to get crits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I don't know what it would do, but I want an X-Wing only talent for the Darklighter Spin. Like, maybe +1 attack die at range 2 as well as one. I dunno.

• Locked thread