Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

kastein posted:

Only half? That's not a very big molecule, and a lot of BANG.

The other thing about N8 as an explosive is that it'd probably asphyxiate anyone in the vicinity if it didn't blow them up first... if anyone ever successfully made some.

Hexaazabenzene might be a better thing to aim for, a few theoretical chemists have done research indicating it might be somewhat stable.

Forget that, let's make some hexecontanitrohexecontaazabuckminsterfullerene!

I forgot, nitrogen can only form three bonds. :saddowns:

Still hexecontaaazabuckminsterfullerene would make a hell of a bang.

And so would hexecontanitrobuckminsterfullerene.

But which would would be more terrifyingly explosive? :getin:

E #2: Hexadeca is 16, not 60. Fixed!

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, why it makes your skin weaker and more prone to wounds, makes those wounds take longer to heal, fucks your blood up, and fucks your gut up. Basically, the complications of older chemotherapies are a map for 'locations in the body in which cells divide fast'.

Your rear end in a top hat will rip itself to shreds.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I forgot, nitrogen can only form three bonds. :saddowns:

Not with that attitude.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Tunicate posted:

Not with that attitude.

If I remember right, and this is off the top of my head, c60 is easy to make. You take a bell jar with two graphite electrodes in it, drop just plain air in it to one 7th atmosphere and go to town. The energetics make the configuration rather stable once a load of ions are reforming bonds dropping out of the arc.

With N.. Hmm, graphene style 2d lattace (can't think of another topologically sound situation due to 3 bonds), but you couldn't layer it without some weirdo dipole moment thing going on.

I never want to see that in the world, go ask those Germans!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Phanatic posted:

Remember, the first chemotherapy drug was based on mustard gas, after it was noted that lots of gas attack victims had depleted white cell counts. Wasn't too big a leap from there to treating lymphoma with it.

Yep -- even today, the first line chemotherapy agent for lymphoma is a mustard agent (chlorambucil).

CSB time: My cat has small cell lymphoma and has been on oral chlorambucil for months. There's a chance of it being absorbed through the skin, so we have to handle it with gloves when we're pilling him. (It also gets partially excreted, so we have to wear a respirator and gloves when cleaning his litter box.) His whiskers and fur have stopped growing entirely. It's not fun :(

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Not with that attitude.

So would the nitrogens just refuse to bond at the right angles to form N60? What about just tacking nitro groups onto all of the carbons for fiery explosive goodness?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Woolie Wool posted:

So would the nitrogens just refuse to bond at the right angles to form N60? What about just tacking nitro groups onto all of the carbons for fiery explosive goodness?

Hexadecanitrofullerene?

I can dig it. :getin:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Psst. The old adage "give chemists a challenge and they'll try to make it" is true once again.

General article about N60
Theoretical research article, not freely accessible

The abstract of the latter says that the reaction N60 --> 30 N2 releases 1622.9 kcal/mol. That's 6790.2 KJ/mol.
According to the former article, the explosive energy of N60 would be 50% more of that of CL-20, that's hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, which was featured on Things I Won't Work With (see OP) as 'that thing that gets less explosive by mixing it with TNT'
:froggonk:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

To be fair TNT is relatively mild tempered for an explosive, both in terms of sensitivity and detonation speed.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Apr 15, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Phanatic posted:

And bloody stools!

Remember, the first chemotherapy drug was based on mustard gas, after it was noted that lots of gas attack victims had depleted white cell counts. Wasn't too big a leap from there to treating lymphoma with it.

There's a moderately interesting side note to that: Late in WW2, during the allied invasion of Italy, the US shipped artillery shells with mustard gas to Europe, to be used in retaliation if the Axis troops used any chemical weapons. One of the ships carrying those shells was bombed in the harbor in Bari, south Italy, and a number of people, both civilians and troops, were exposed. One of the doctors in charge of cleaning up the (classified) mess decided to keep autopsies and reports on the victims, and those were also a significant part of the early work on mustine .

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fucknag posted:

Hexadecanitrofullerene?

I can dig it. :getin:

I'm gonna close the door behind me when I leave.

I'm also going to run very quickly as soon as I close the door.

Have fun with your Hexadecanitrofullerene, because I won't be anywhere near that.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Carbon dioxide posted:

Psst. The old adage "give chemists a challenge and they'll try to make it" is true once again.

The abstract of the latter says that the reaction N60 --> 30 N2 releases 1622.9 kcal/mol. That's 6790.2 KJ/mol.
According to the former article, the explosive energy of N60 would be 50% more of that of CL-20, that's hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, which was featured on Things I Won't Work With (see OP) as 'that thing that gets less explosive by mixing it with TNT'

I know we're talking about explosives and the chemistry therein, but how likely would it be that that could that be made? And I guess, how stable would it be? (expecting the answers to be 'not impossible; not stable at all'). They just did some B3LYP/6-31G* calculations, and made some approximations of it, but I have a bit of a dim view of theoretical chemists.

hawaiian_robot has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Apr 15, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It would probably be stable for a few microseconds before the nitrogen decides that it liked life better as a free gas after all.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

So I'm doing a presentation for my medical terminology class on the pathophysiology and treatment of organophosphate poisoning.

Just, you know, because. Thanks for introducing me to that horror, FOOF thread.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Bertrand Hustle posted:

So I'm doing a presentation for my medical terminology class on the pathophysiology and treatment of organophosphate poisoning.

Just, you know, because. Thanks for introducing me to that horror, FOOF thread.

Yay! Don't forget to mention all the farmers poisoned using sheep dip! First time I heard about organophosphates as a kid.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm gonna close the door behind me when I leave.

I'm also going to run very quickly as soon as I close the door.

Have fun with your Hexadecanitrofullerene, because I won't be anywhere near that.

Close the door carefully, please.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Please don't breathe so hard

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Management would appreciate if you would refrain from thinking such loud thoughts around the hexadecanitrofullerene.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Collateral Damage posted:

To be fair TNT is relatively mild tempered for an explosive, both in terms of sensitivity and detonation speed.

Which is why it's popular as an explosive, incidentally. You generally want your explosives to go off when and only when you want them to, not whenever they feel like it or someone coughs a half-mile away like most of the stuff discussed in this thread. :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Management would appreciate if you would refrain from thinking such loud thoughts around the hexadecanitrofullerene.

Acknowledging the hexadecanitrofullerene's existence may anger the hexadecanitrofullerene.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Acknowledging the hexadecanitrofullerene's existence may anger the hexadecanitrofullerene.

Not acknowledging its existence may anger it as well. You really can't win with these things, but those drat Germans seem to love to play anyways.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Do not taunt hexadecanitrofullerene.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Do not taunt hexadecanitro Buckyball.
ftfy

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Not acknowledging its existence may anger it as well. You really can't win with these things, but those drat Germans seem to love to play anyways.

I'm actually getting slightly scared that just typing hexadecanitrofullerene now may cause enough residual vibration at the time when those [del]idiots[/del] fine experimental minds at Klapötke create a molecule that it spontaneously detonates.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:effort:

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Not with that attitude.

Not with any attitude.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

New Law: The longer the name, the bigger the bang.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

A White Guy posted:

New Law: The longer the name, the bigger the bang.

Only fragments that indicate nitrogen atoms - or the number or structure of them - count.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Isn't the longest compound name a muscle protein?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Isn't the longest compound name a muscle protein?

I think in principle there's no reason you couldn't turn an entire DNA strand into a compound name, but why would you?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I think in principle there's no reason you couldn't turn an entire DNA strand into a compound name, but why would you?

Not to mention, wouldn't things like graphene be a single molecule?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dinosaur Comics just informed me of Atomic Gardening.

Basically you take a bunch of plants, cluster them around a gamma source, and check out what type of weird mutant offspring they grow.

Lots of offspring from that, including red grapefruit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Feh, piddling little Co-60 source.

Read about a completely unshielded 10-megawatt research reactor in a forest near Atlanta:

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-naked-nuclear-reactor-georgia-part-i

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

I'm actually getting slightly scared that just typing hexadecanitrofullerene now may cause enough residual vibration at the time when those [del]idiots[/del] fine experimental minds at Klapötke create a molecule that it spontaneously detonates.

Klapötke is quite possibly incapable of creating compounds that don't spontaneously detonate.

I bet the coffee in their breakrooms has a tendancy towards spontaneous detonation.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Apr 15, 2015

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

rndmnmbr posted:

Klapötke is quite possibly incapable of creating compounds that don't spontaneously detonate.

I bet the coffee in their breakrooms has a tendancy towards spontaneous detonation.

That's just the nitroglycerin they add for "flavor".

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They don't need coffee, they've got a permanent tremor from the non-stop adrenaline surge that comes with working on the crimes against nature and decency that are floating around their lab.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Icon Of Sin posted:

They don't need coffee, they've got a permanent tremor from the non-stop adrenaline surge that comes with working on the crimes against nature and decency that are floating around their lab.

Yeah, but sometimes you need to come down from that - and for them, that's probably such a super-concentrated espresso that it's been banned in most countries for causing heart attacks in anyone who looks at it funny.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Dinosaur Comics just informed me of Atomic Gardening.

Basically you take a bunch of plants, cluster them around a gamma source, and check out what type of weird mutant offspring they grow.

Lots of offspring from that, including red grapefruit.

Did they ever notice the paths in the garden are shaped like a swastika?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That drat radiation! :argh: