Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Ozz81 posted:

This is the most unnerving part to me and says a hell of a lot about health care and the mental states of people living in the US, when someone is more likely to off themselves than kill someone else.

Surprisingly, this is true in the world generally [PDF], even when war is taken into account.

It's always seemed strange to me too, but I guess that people who commit suicide aren't deterred by the possibility of getting caught. Also, it's harder to kill someone who is trying to avoid being killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
What's a good podcast about strange events/phenomena and unsolved mysteries? I tried an episode of Thinking Sideways and hated the format. I'd much rather listen to one in the TAL/Reply All reporting style than Thinking Sideways' "3 idiots joke about murder while reading a wikipedia entry".

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Futility Closet does some unsolved mysteries and events, although their usual fare is "a collection of entertaining curiosities in history, literature, language, art, philosophy, and mathematics, designed to help you waste time as enjoyably as possible" so most of the episodes aren't too mysterious. I like that Greg Ross doesn't try to solve the mysteries or anything, just presents the facts and concludes with "If anyone can make any sense of this, please write in and let me know."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

"3 idiots joke about murder while reading a wikipedia entry".

Ah, the Caustic Soda style.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

What's a good podcast about strange events/phenomena and unsolved mysteries? I tried an episode of Thinking Sideways and hated the format. I'd much rather listen to one in the TAL/Reply All reporting style than Thinking Sideways' "3 idiots joke about murder while reading a wikipedia entry".
You mean other than Skeptoid, right? I forget if this is a thread that has ever had Skeptoid discussion. Brian Dunning's wikipedia page is kind of unnerving I guess.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Wild T posted:

THOR was an awesome idea in theory. Some ideas were scaled sized of projectiles from full-sized ones (your telephone poles) for hardened bunkers down to small-diameter or cluster rods for raining hypervelocity molten metal down on troop formations or other large area targets.

The problem was getting such a large system in orbit without anyone noticing. For full coverage you'd need a lot of satellites, and the second that a world power found out they'd be deploying anti satellite missiles to knock them out if you ever pushed too far. Blowing up satellites creates a lot of debris, taking down more satellites and before you know it low orbit is a junkyard of hell metal destroying anything you try to put up. It ended up not being worth starting an orbital Cold War that could gently caress up our entire global satellite networks when you can just produce a few thousand drones and slap some Hellfires on them. Not as sexy, admittedly, but it works.

Rods from God sound like the least efficient way to blow something up ever. It costs $4000-10000 to a kilo of mass into low earth orbit, and all that energy comes from rocket fuel. All that effort just to drop an inert payload, when you could drop one stuffed with explosives instead.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

There's not a single global nuclear war scenario that doesn't result in a horrific end-of-times hellscape for everyone in the civilised world.

They ran a computer simulation and it turned out the only winning move was not to play

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Everybody dies but the one who kills the most is still the winner. :downsgun:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Stick Insect posted:

Everybody dies but the one who kills the most is still the winner. :downsgun:

From the people who made Darwinia.

It's a simple game, but it can get very tense.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
There's an LP of it on the archive, if anyone wants to watch a series of nuclear wars play out.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Meet Clive Wearing

He has one of the worst cases of amnesia ever recorded after a Herpes complex virus attacked his brain in 1985.

quote:

Wearing developed a profound case of total amnesia as a result of his illness. Because of damage to the hippocampus, an area required to transfer memories from short-term to long-term memory, he is completely unable to form lasting new memories – his memory only lasts between 7 and 30 seconds.[2] He spends every day 'waking up' every 20 seconds, 'restarting' his consciousness once the time span of his short term memory elapses (about 30 seconds). He remembers little of his life before 1985; he knows, for example, that he has children from an earlier marriage, but cannot remember their names. His love for his second wife Deborah, whom he married the year prior to his illness, is undiminished. He greets her joyously every time they meet, either believing he has not seen her in years or that they have never met before, even though she may have just left the room to fetch a glass of water. When he goes out dining with his wife, he can remember the name of the food (e.g. chicken); however he cannot link it with taste, as he forgets what food he is eating by the time it has reached his mouth.

For more information here is a New Yorker piece about him

And a clip from a BBC documentary on him called Man Without a Memory. There's also an ITV documentary that can be found called The Man With a 7 Second Memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwigmktix2Y

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Deborah is married to a Labrador retriever, basically. Jesus. :psyduck:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BarbarousBertha posted:

Deborah is married to a Labrador retriever, basically. Jesus. :psyduck:

He seems happy enough... I guess.

What a bizarre, terrifying condition.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Do you know where they are?"

"No idea, I don't know where I am."

That's just terrifying, but at least he has absolutely no idea himself.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Waking up every morning must be particularly frightening.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Syd Midnight posted:

I've got Mullane's book "Riding Rockets" and one part, in which he describes in detail what the Challenger disaster would have been like for the people onboard, chilled me so much I never forgot it. I'm not sure if it's on-topic enough, the Wikipedia article probably isn't unnerving enough for reposting, but if anyone is interested I've been looking for an excuse to type out or copy/paste just that bit.

Sure, go for it

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Omnishambles posted:

And I thought 50 First Dates was creepy enough as it was.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

KozmoNaut posted:

I loved the amazingly lucid section where he's describing never having any long term thoughts. The upper crust english accent really seals in the uneasiness of listening to him

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly the best part is how happy he is to see his wife or w/e every time she shows up

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mr. Flunchy posted:

He seems happy enough... I guess.

What a bizarre, terrifying condition.

There's another video from the early 1990s that paints a slightly more grim picture.

Clive Wearing's Diary posted:

I DO LIVE!!!

7:46 AM I wake for the first time. This illness has been like death till now, all senses work. First Thought: I love Darling Deborah for ever.
8:07 AM I am totally perpetually awake. The time-
8:31 AM: Now I am really completely awake. 1st time
8:35 AM Time to see relaxing TV.
9:06 AM Now I am PERFECTLY, OVERWHELMINGLY awake. 1st time Stroll.
9:46 AM Now I am MAGNIFICENTLY, PERFECTLY awake. 1st time, the loo calls.
9:54 AM: I am completely awake with a cup of coffee. Patience...
10:20 AM: Now I am totally magnificently awake My first time (indecipherable scribbling)
10:38 AM: ** Time for a first stroll + ? TV.
11:01 AM * I AM REALLY SUPERLATIVELY PERFECTLY AWAKE. (1st Time.) Patience please.
11:03 AM First Thought - I love darling Deborah for eternity. (1st time) - -

Because every moment he is waking up for the first time, he feels compelled to record this astonishing moment in writing to reflect on it later. When he sees that someone has already written in the diary, and in his own handwriting too, he crosses it out and dismisses it as a clear fraud. That way, this new entry will really record his thoughts and not whatever nonsense was written above it.

QuoProQuid has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Apr 14, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

There's another video from the early 1990s that paints a slightly more grim picture.

Because every moment he is waking up for the first time, he feels compelled to record this astonishing moment in writing to reflect on it later. When he sees that someone has already written in the diary, and in his own handwriting too, he crosses it out and dismisses it as a clear fraud. That way, this new entry will really record his thoughts and not whatever nonsense was written above it.

It reads like a journal from a survival horror game.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

bean_shadow posted:

He has one of the worst cases of amnesia ever recorded after a Herpes complex virus attacked his brain in 1985.

This happened to a friend of mine. She was initially diagnosed with meningitis near the end of 2013, but turned out to actually be Herpes in the brain, and had to get some of her brain removed. I think she pretty much lost like a solid 6 months, and had a spotty memory for a pretty long time. Said she got As in her classes, but did so by rote memorization of as much text as she could for exams and doing assignments day of, or she wouldn't remember to. Basically strengthening her 'at the moment' memory, in her words. She's doing a lot better now, but still has issues with direction/not getting lost. She hasn't had an easy time at all, but it's terrifying to think that she could have ended up like Clive Wearing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He knows she's his wife, but he feels like it's the first time he met her? That doesn't really compute.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

He knows she's his wife, but he feels like it's the first time he met her? That doesn't really compute.

That's because there's nothing wrong with your brain.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
All of this from herpes, that's really hosed up.

Make sure you clean those glasses, people.

Kurtofan has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Apr 14, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

If it's the same as they guy in the Oliver Sacks book it's because his relation to specific people was committed to long term memory just fine, but all individual memories of them interacting were damaged in the individual onset.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

bamhand posted:

That's because there's nothing wrong with your brain.

I wouldn't go that far.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Kurtofan posted:

It's more that he thinks that he hasn't seen her in years instead a few seconds.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Omnishambles posted:

Relatedly, I wonder how he sleeps, and how he dreams.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Interesting thing is that he was a pianist and while he does not remember what he's playing, he's still able to play because of his procedural memory. Pretty crazy stuff.

Another case to do with amnesia is the story of HM (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Molaison) who was severely lobotomized to cure his seizures, leading him to have anterograde and retrograde amnesia, but without affecting his procedural and short term memory. What I find especially awful about it is that we owe him a huge amount for what we know about how memory is mediated in the brain but it's just incredibly hosed up nonetheless that he had to go through what he did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SC Bracer posted:

Interesting thing is that he was a pianist and while he does not remember what he's playing, he's still able to play because of his procedural memory. Pretty crazy stuff.

Another case to do with amnesia is the story of HM (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Molaison) who was severely lobotomized to cure his seizures, leading him to have anterograde and retrograde amnesia, but without affecting his procedural and short term memory. What I find especially awful about it is that we owe him a huge amount for what we know about how memory is mediated in the brain but it's just incredibly hosed up nonetheless that he had to go through what he did.

He had to have court-appointed guardians for most of his life. He was basically institutionalized forever because of it.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Syd Midnight posted:

I've got Mullane's book "Riding Rockets" and one part, in which he describes in detail what the Challenger disaster would have been like for the people onboard, chilled me so much I never forgot it. I'm not sure if it's on-topic enough, the Wikipedia article probably isn't unnerving enough for reposting, but if anyone is interested I've been looking for an excuse to type out or copy/paste just that bit.

Yes please

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

20 years ago, someone derailed an Amtrak train in the middle of the desert. That's basically it. Culprits left a manifesto but were never heard from again.

e: Wikipedia link and text of the letters they left.

RNG has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Apr 15, 2015

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Death of Edgar Allan Poe was as unnerving as his stories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Edgar_Allan_Poe

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SC Bracer posted:

From the relevant articles list at the bottom of that, meet S.M., the woman that cannot experience fear:

quote:

S.M., also sometimes referred to as SM-046, is a female patient first described in 1994[1] who has had exclusive and complete bilateral amygdala destruction since late childhood as a consequence of an extremely rare genetic condition known as Urbach–Wiethe disease. S.M. is notable in that, because of this damage, she has little to no capacity to experience fear or anxiety in her everyday life, a characteristic which has resulted in her being dubbed by the media as the "woman with no fear".[2] S.M. has been studied extensively in scientific research, and has helped researchers to elucidate the function of the amygdala.[3]
-
Experiments with S.M. revealed no fear in response to exposure to or handling of snakes and spiders (including tarantulas), a walk through a haunted attraction (Waverly Hills Sanatorium, specifically), or fear-inducing film clips (e.g., The Blair Witch Project, The Shining, and The Silence of the Lambs), instead only interest, curiosity, and excitement.[3] Research has revealed that S.M. is not immune to all fear however; along with other patients with bilateral amygdala damage, she was found to experience fear and panic attacks in response to simulation of the subjective experience of suffocation via carbon dioxide inhalation, feelings which she and the others described as completely novel to them.[4]

S.M. is described as very outgoing, extremely friendly, and disinhibited, as well as "somewhat coquettish" (playfully flirtatious) and having an abnormally high desire and tendency to approach others.[5] She is greatly impaired in recognizing negative social cues, such as being incapable of recognizing fear in the facial expressions of other people[1] and having difficulty judging trustworthiness and approachability in the faces of others.[5][6] These traits show consistency with the fact that she tends to quite indiscriminately approach and engage in physical contact with others.[6] In addition, S.M. appears to experience relatively little negative emotion,[3] whilst simultaneously experiencing a relatively high degree of positive affect, despite great adversity in her life (more on that below).[5] In accordance, she tends to be very positive about most people, situations, and issues.[5] S.M. also exhibits impairments in the emotional processing of music; specifically, she shows selectively impaired recognition of sad and scary music.[7]

In addition to her lack of fear, S.M. shows a lack of a sense of personal space, and experiences virtually no discomfort standing extremely close to strangers, even nose-to-nose with direct eye contact. She does understand the concept of personal space however, and acknowledges that other people need more personal space than she does.[8] S.M. also shows memory differences. Emotionally arousing stimuli is well known to experience an enhancement of consolidation into long-term declarative memory (see emotion and memory), and this effect appears to be dependent on the amygdala.[9][10] In accordance, S.M. displays impaired declarative memory facilitation for emotional material, while her memory consolidation for neutral material is normal.[11][12] Additionally, S.M. appears to have a relatively high capacity for empathy compared to others,[5] which is in accordance with an emergence of "hyper empathy" in another woman who underwent right amygdalohippocampectomy to control severe epilepsy.[13]
-
In her personal life, S.M. has been the victim of numerous acts of crime and traumatic and life-threatening encounters. She has been held up at both knifepoint and gunpoint, was almost killed in a domestic violence incident, and has received explicit death threats on multiple occasions. Despite the life-threatening nature of many of these situations however, S.M. did not exhibit any signs of desperation, urgency, or other behavioral responses that would normally be associated with such incidences. The disproportionate number of traumatic events in S.M.'s life has been attributed to a combination of her living in a dangerous area filled with poverty, crime, and drugs, and to a marked impairment on her part of detecting looming threats in her environment and learning to steer clear of potentially dangerous situations. S.M. herself has never been convicted of a crime.[3][14]

S.M. has been married and is an independent mother of three healthy children.[3][15]

I am not sure how you can experience more empathy if you are biologically incapable of experiencing their fear and anxiety (and so relating to them), but regardless being unable to experience the full spectrum of emotion sounds incredibly sad.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's important to know that you can have sympathy without empathy, the two get lumped together a lot. You can genuinely sympathize and offer somebody comfort and a nice cup of tea and a blanket, while not really understanding what they're going through emotionally, as opposed to emphasizing, where you're almost mirroring the same emotions as the person you're comforting, "stop it, you're making me cry too now"

I guess though if it's only fear-like emotions she can't feel, she can kind of make up for it in those situations by taking shared experiences and social knowledge to cover the gap, maybe even use the gap itself as an emotional link. "Oh you were robbed, I was robbed too, people say being robbed is very traumatic and I've seen the ways they react that I don't, so I can sympathize with what you must be going through, even while I can't feel those emotions myself"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

YF-23 posted:

From the relevant articles list at the bottom of that, meet S.M., the woman that cannot experience fear:

I am not sure how you can experience more empathy if you are biologically incapable of experiencing their fear and anxiety (and so relating to them), but regardless being unable to experience the full spectrum of emotion sounds incredibly sad.

S.M. got interviewed on the Invisibilia podcast, if you want to hear her talk. She has a weird voice, too, kind of scratchy and whispery, but she sounds so drat earnest and wide-eyed about everything. http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/377515477/fearless?showDate=2015-01-16

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

YF-23 posted:

It makes more sense to be sad over people suffering from depression. They can't experience emotions normally either but they have it much worse than this woman. Hell, maybe I'd take her condition and I'm not even depressed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doctor Malaver posted:

It makes more sense to be sad over people suffering from depression. They can't experience emotions normally either but they have it much worse than this woman. Hell, maybe I'd take her condition and I'm not even depressed.

An irrational, pant-making GBS threads fear of spiders is exactly what every person needs to lead a full and fulfilled life. As Aristotle said "the path to eudaimonia is paved with that time you piddled in your trousers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Doctor Malaver posted:

Death of Edgar Allan Poe was as unnerving as his stories. T
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Edgar_Allan_Poe

The last bar he drank in is still in operation, though obviously it's changed hands a few times. It's a bit of a tourist trap, and they use the connection as a selling point.

Relatedly, this isn't scary or unnerving, just sort of cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe_Toaster