Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Faustus posted:

Is it *really* an accurate representation that the Republican-held Congress was responsible for the lack of security at the mission in Benghazi, or is that just a simplification we tell each other to feel better about the lack of security at the (secret CIA base, that may have been under CIA or State Dept. funding but who the gently caress knows when gov't agencies don't work together) mission in Benghazi?

Nobody gave a poo poo about the security at the mission in Benghazi until it became politically expedient to point fingers.

And it's not like a few extra guards would have helped, the place was totally overrun with a huge number of militants. It was a hosed up thing that happened, very little could have been done to prevent it, but the right is making as much hay as they can because Obama is relatively scandal-free so they've got to overinflate Benghazi until it pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If there were 10 extra marines there, it would probably have meant 14 people died instead of 4. If you can round up 100 people, put rifles in their hands and go somewhere with the intent of killing, people are going to die unless they are in some sort of bunker.

That said, it's hard to perform diplomatic missions (and covert operations) from a bunker.

Diplomacy is a dangerous world, but the James Bond movies wouldn't be very fun if Bond just hung out in a bomb shelter the whole movie.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The number of Americans who give a poo poo about Benghazi (as a scandal, at least) is a subset of the people who would rather die than vote for a Democrat.

I mean, at least with the Swift Boat bullshit the average voter could figure out what the gently caress the scandal was. I don't think even the well-informed voter can actually figure out how Benghazi is supposed to be a scandal.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The number of Americans who give a poo poo about Benghazi (as a scandal, at least) is a subset of the people who would rather die than vote for a Democrat.

I mean, at least with the Swift Boat bullshit the average voter could figure out what the gently caress the scandal was. I don't think even the well-informed voter can actually figure out how Benghazi is supposed to be a scandal.

thats the beauty of it. the facts dont matter anyway so why waste time, just scrape together enough whatever so its not transparent bullshit and get it out the door

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Don't forget that there were 13 attacks on diplomatic missions with 60 deaths under Bush, and nary a peep came out of either Republicans or Democrats at the time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Remember when soldiers were getting blown up in their Humvees by IEDs because they had no undercarriage armor and they started welding scrap metal to the bottoms of them?
Can you imagine if that happened under Obama, he'd be impeached!

Republicans are actually really aggressive about the welfare of our troops and personnel abroad, but only when the President is a Democrat. That's why if you truly care about the troops, you'll vote Democrat.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't think you guys understand. The Obama administration said that there was a protest and then it turned out there wasn't. Impeachable offense imo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Nobody gave a poo poo about the security at the mission in Benghazi until it became politically expedient to point fingers.

And it's not like a few extra guards would have helped, the place was totally overrun with a huge number of militants. It was a hosed up thing that happened, very little could have been done to prevent it, but the right is making as much hay as they can because Obama is relatively scandal-free so they've got to overinflate Benghazi until it pops.

One of the (crazy) talking points is that Obama recalled special forces that were deployed to save the embassy.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

I know it's an old South Park joke but it really is:

Step 1 - Get US ambassador and 3 other Americans killed.

Step 2 - ?????

Step 3 - Profit Become President!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

One of the (crazy) talking points is that Obama recalled special forces that were deployed to save the embassy.

Yes the special forces with their faster than light jetpacks.

seiferguy posted:

Don't forget that there were 13 attacks on diplomatic missions with 60 deaths under Bush, and nary a peep came out of either Republicans or Democrats at the time.

There was a nice image pointing this out, anyone have it?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

seiferguy posted:

IIRC most of those deaths weren't Americans, and therefore officially Don't Count.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The 'real' Benghazi scandal is the CIA Annex in the area, which Petraeus' girlfriend spilled the beans about. The consulate was attacked because the militants thought the CIA was there, and the CIA couldn't blow their cover to reinforce the consulate.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

McDowell posted:

The 'real' Benghazi scandal is the CIA Annex in the area, which Petraeus' girlfriend spilled the beans about. The consulate was attacked because the militants thought the CIA was there, and the CIA couldn't blow their cover to reinforce the consulate.

Is there more i can read about this? I've never heard about this

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

But that's not the point is it? The point is to scream BENGHAZI over and over because "where there's smoke there's flame" and why would BENGHAZI still be a BENGHAZI thing if there was BENGHAZI nothing to BENGHAZI?

BENGHAZI.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SalTheBard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ENgEtazZA

Then in the comments you get elaborate theories that the CIA is engineering all world conflicts and Benghazi was a hub for arms smuggling which Amb. Stevens was going to expose.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SalTheBard posted:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/6/us-security-team-secret-cia-annex-we-were-told-sta/

The top CIA official was Obama, who cackled with glee as he ordered these brave soldiers to sit on their tails and not rush in to save the day.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/benghazi.asp

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Soviet Commubot posted:

Satanic blood magic, I imagine.

There's one dude on my Facebook who is sharing every anti-Hillary meme he can find right now. If a Democrat wins they'll completely break some of these people.

ftfy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Got this one recently: there are ISIS camps just south of El paso

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2015/04/isis-camp-a-few-miles-from-texas-mexican-authorities-confirm/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wow, that's extremely interesting! It's kind of like the t-shirt that someone found and called a 'prayer rug'.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/6/us-security-team-secret-cia-annex-we-were-told-sta/

The top CIA official was Obama, who cackled with glee as he ordered these brave soldiers to sit on their tails and not rush in to save the day.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/benghazi.asp

My god, I actually learned something relevant from reading about this jazz. I'll mark the calendar.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I just saw a person share a meme with Hillary Clinton (along with some video involving dumb and dumber). A lady made a comment about how no one could contend against Hillary.

A baseball playing gun-loving soldier-worshipping replied with "One word: Benghazi". Majestic.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Yeah but he earned those 9 bowls. And by earned I mean he is part owner in a business and siphoned the income by paying his employees as little as possible and not providing healthcare and then skirting the issue by only giving them 20 hour workweeks. Anyway he deserves to keep all his ice cream. :colbert:

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Have some more Hillary hate.

The comments remind me of a kid trying to think of bad things to say about someone, but not really
having anything to go on.

"And she um....eats boogers! And one time she scratched her butt and smelled her finger!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Yeah but he earned those 9 bowls. And by earned I mean he is part owner in a business and siphoned the income by paying his employees as little as possible and not providing healthcare and then skirting the issue by only giving them 20 hour workweeks. Anyway he deserves to keep all his ice cream. :colbert:

How to teach your kid about taxes: keep 90% of the ice cream for your self, and tell the rest of the family they're lucky to have anything. Take a few bites then throw the rest away. If one kid who doesn't get enough asks for some of yours, throw a crying screaming fit and call him an evil marxist dictator.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Kat R. Waulin posted:

The comments remind me of a kid trying to think of bad things to say about someone, but not really
having anything to go on.

"And she um....eats boogers! And one time she scratched her butt and smelled her finger!"

Hillary Clinton personally flew to Benghazi and strangled those four Americans while using her personal email account to tell the Marines to sit on the runway, and once she is elected she will round up all the straight white males and put them into concentration camps. :byodood:

Indy Nile is a fantastic name change, and that person is so close to the answer. People keep trying to attach her to scandals and she keeps coming out like roses..... because...

A. She controls the media and a majority of my fellow Americans are too stupid to realize it.
B. The scandals lack in substance when you look into them beyond a cursory glance.

Probably A! :eng99:

VitalSigns posted:

How to teach your kid about taxes: keep 90% of the ice cream for your self, and tell the rest of the family they're lucky to have anything. Take a few bites then throw the rest away. If one kid who doesn't get enough asks for some of yours, throw a crying screaming fit and call him an evil marxist dictator.

Throw away ice cream? Don't be absurd, we invest it. Every day ice cream is delivered to your house, and you take most of the ice cream in the house to add to your own, which you keep in a gigantic freezer that actually creates MORE ice cream as a result. Also the ice cream that is delivered is made by your kids and you keep the difference between their pay and the value of their labor.

I kinda want to make a "how to teach your kids about hard work" with an orange juice stand analogy where the end result is explanatory of the exploitation of labor. :ussr:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 15, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
How to demonstrate to children how taxes work in America:

Force them to make ice cream. They get to keep one of every 100 bowls four days a week. The fifth and sixth day they get to keep nothing. The seventh day they work 19 hours paving your driveway. All of the rest of the ice cream goes into a vault, never to be seen again, while you brag about how much ice cream you have.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's weird how you always see OP and the other Benghazi victims buried with each other; you'd think they'd be buried in their hometowns with their families or whatever. I guess that presupposes that they are actual people and not just political props for right wing shitheads.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That's it, in my will I'm going to insist on comic sans for my headstone.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I don't think you guys understand. The Obama administration said that there was a protest and then it turned out there wasn't. Impeachable offense imo.

Wasn't he literally quoting the public report from the CIA when he said that?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Mo_Steel posted:

Hillary Clinton personally flew to Benghazi and strangled those four Americans while using her personal email account to tell the Marines to sit on the runway, and once she is elected she will round up all the straight white males and put them into concentration camps. :byodood:

The only one who can stop her is Mike Cuckabee! :smuggo:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

point of return posted:

Wasn't he literally quoting the public report from the CIA when he said that?

Look just because it turned out to be something else and once that information was known the story was changed to match doesn't mean anything. They should know everything always and they should apologize any time they're wrong. Just like Susan Rice was apologized to when one of the terrorists involved in the attack came out and said that the video was one of the reasons for it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Can we be gross and make some of vilerats leftist quotes memes?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Let the dead lay. I'm the first one to sink to thier level to mock conservatives, but using a heroes bones as a cudgel is too ghoulish to consider.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
The Benghazi thing that still sticks in my craw is the Hillary line "What difference, at this point, does it make?"

I know it's some time ago, but I'll refresh as best as possible from memory: During/Just after the attack, Susan Rice says the attack was caused by muslim backlash over a dumb anti-muslim movie "Innocence of Muslims". While that was causing some uproar and stuff in Egypt, it was later determined that the Benghazi attack was way way way more coordinated than some simple "crowd anger". Clinton, when asked about why there was a discrepancy in the story says, "What difference, at this point, does it make?" and the whackjobs ran with it, completely flipping it over as Clinton being indifferent to the deaths in Benghazi.

It is both woefully ignorant and willfully disingenuous to keep this meme going, but I guarangoddamntee it'll be a solid 1/3rd of all the soundbites in GOP presidential hit ads against Clinton.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Gotta handle all the important issues on facebook, like both hating on transsexuals and why the gently caress your phone sent you an alert vibrate.

Also, this lady on my facebook is seriously going more and more ISIS crazy. It's pretty interesting to watch.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Here's the full Hillary quote:

quote:

With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans. Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night who decided that they’d they go kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator. Now, honestly, I will do my best to answer your questions about this, but the fact is that people were trying in real time to get to the best information. The IC has a process, I understand, going with the other committees to explain how these talking points came out. But you know, to be clear, it is, from my perspective, less important today looking backwards as to why these militants decided they did it than to find them and bring them to justice, and then maybe we’ll figure out what was going on in the meantime.

The full exchange is here: http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/article/2013/may/07/context-hillary-clintons-what-difference-does-it-m/

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly "what difference does it make" doesn't even matter since if she had said something totally different there would be some other phrase they could take totally out of context and rage over. "Acts of Terror" versus "Act of Terrorism" was such a thing we had to have this article on the matter since it's apparently a huge deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...a31f9_blog.html

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013

Kat R. Waulin posted:

No, Indy, the crazy Hillary-killed-a-guy conspiracy theory is Vince Foster. At least get the name straight! :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

I posted in this thread about a colleague of mine who was ranting about "Who Cares" Hillary. And of course the best thing to do to these people is make them feel retarded by asking them what question she was answering.

In my limited experience, 100% of Benghazi ranters don't even know the question.