Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ashcans posted:

Now it's 2015, and wow here they are! The exact models that were previewed in 2007 and just... not produced until now.

I think this is what gets me. They're so hilariously lazy about this poo poo, too, while insisting their plastic crap is the greatest thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Smart money adds a weapon option or two and reboxes them.

E: Ideally, [best weapon] is supplied one per sprue of three.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 15, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Night10194 posted:

I think this is what gets me. They're so hilariously lazy about this poo poo, too, while insisting their plastic crap is the greatest thing ever.

Some of the plastic crap is pretty impressive, to be completely fair about it. As a feat of engineering, at least, if not always something you'd want to try to paint or play a game with.

It still isn't appropriately priced.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

Some of the plastic crap is pretty impressive, to be completely fair about it. As a feat of engineering, at least, if not always something you'd want to try to paint or play a game with.

They are great models I will say that. But I am not going to pay 50 bucks for something that has a marginal use in-game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh god guys, no, no! We're going to get another page about loving Gundams now!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh sweet I remember wanting to get those new jet bikes way back! I was totally going to buy 5 of them 8 years ago too!

JerryLee posted:

We already had the Gundam chat!

E:

Leperflesh posted:

Oh god guys, no, no! We're going to get another page about loving Gundams now!

wow I should scroll down more

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013

Moola posted:

T

problem with that thread is that a lot of posters do take negative posts about GW personally

sunk cost fallacy and all that

Them frogs sure do love they's scorpions, amirite?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

KobayashiMaru posted:

Hey, I already started carrying this scorpion, if I put it down now then I'll have gotten stung for nothing

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
E: forgot to refresh

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 15, 2015

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
First time I really looked at the Bad Thread and oh my :yikes:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Attestant posted:

First time I really looked at the Bad Thread and oh my :yikes:

In their defense, it usually doesn't involve domestic abuse analogies.

It's terrible, but not that terrible.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KobayashiMaru posted:

It blew my loving mind to learn that there was a goon who had not read Aesop or seen Drive, and of all loving goons, that goon was BC. We are supposed to be nerds here damnit! :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

PeterWeller posted:

It blew my loving mind to learn that there was a goon who had not read Aesop or seen Drive, and of all loving goons, that goon was BC. We are supposed to be nerds here damnit! :v:

Ryan Gosling wears a scorpion jacket in Drive, so it kind of makes sense.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

lilljonas posted:

Ryan Gosling wears a scorpion jacket in Drive, so it kind of makes sense.

That movie is deep, son.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
A better analogy would be Stockholm syndrome or Scientology

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I took Armada with me to my local games club, and one of the big fat slobs who runs it was sneering that it was too expensive to get into while he sat and cleaned mold lines off of the massive stack of Necron sprues from the several boxes he had opened, with a gw crafting knife. Then he spent the rest of the night talking about the Skitari stuff. I just shrugged and had fun ramming Star Destroyers with my plucky Butt Plug frigates.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Was Apocalypse ever a big thing in the US? Maybe it's just because I live in Nottingham but here it felt like it was being pushed in a big way, and seeing people's reaction to it made me wonder just how brainwashed the people who played 40k were. it was like GW was this awesome uncle who had just given you an excuse to buy even more overpriced models, because now you could use them in *huge battles*. It was bizarre.

The defining moment for me was when one games day me and bunch of mates started playing a 6 player game of Twilight Imperium at the same time as another bunch of guys started playing an apocalypse game. 6-7 hours later, we are finishing our game of TI and getting kicked out of the building. We asked the 40k players how far they got as they are packing up. "Oh, about half way through turn 3."

There's no saving some people.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Phrosphor posted:

I took Armada with me to my local games club, and one of the big fat slobs who runs it was sneering that it was too expensive to get into while he sat and cleaned mold lines off of the massive stack of Necron sprues from the several boxes he had opened, with a gw crafting knife. Then he spent the rest of the night talking about the Skitari stuff. I just shrugged and had fun ramming Star Destroyers with my plucky Butt Plug frigates.

So here's my X-Wang story.

When I found out that there's a no poo poo actually good game store in Longview Washington one of the first things I bought there, on impulse, was an X-Wing starter set. Fast forward like three or four months and I still haven't played it though I've been regularly going there for board game night. I get to talking about X-Wing and some of the store regulars are like "hey come over on Thursday and we'll run you through some games."

It turns out that X-Wing is A). really pretty fun and B). hits me right in the consumerist sweet spot where I wake up one day and I've spent about $300+ on plastic toy spaceships. To be fair there's also cards and really good quality punchboard tokens and poo poo, but still. Three hundred bucks! For that money I could buy, I dunno, a new video game console, a good selection of board games or video games, I could buy a smartphone or tablet...long story short, $300 is, no matter how you slice it, a pretty sizable chunk of change to spend on a single game. It's not that I can't afford it, I'm not skipping meals to buy toys, but a life of frugality informs how I view expenditures like this and it's quite a step up from, say, a $60 copy of Kemet which I've yet to play to exhaustion.

That said, let's break this down some more. For that $300 purchase I have enough ships, cards, and incidentals to assemble and play a wide variety of different lists from all three playable factions...this isn't just "I spent $300 on one army," I've got everything I need to play Rebels, Imperials, or Scum and allow someone else to assemble their own list out of just the stuff I own to play against then and there. I don't have to buy any paints or modeling equipment...the only incidental expense I've needed is a couple of carrying cases to transport stuff. While I've spent what I consider a fair chunk of money on the game as a whole, the price points for individual ship packs sit at a comfortable impulse purchase threshold...I won't pony up $300 every day, but $15 once in a while is absolutely doable, I drop $15 pledging to Kickstarters I think might be interesting so I have no problem doing so to pick up a TIE Phantom or something.

And this is simply the financial side of things, disregarding other benefits such as the fact that I can, for example, take that impulse purchased ship, cut it out of the package, pop some tokens out and read over some cards, and be playing a game with it inside 15 minutes or so. Or the fact that games are very quick to set up and play, rarely going over six or so units per list unless you're playing a larger point-scale game. Or how the Scum and Villainy set came with the cards necessary to utilize several Imperial and Rebel ships as Scum ships which meant that if you owned any of those ships previously that they immediately became cross-faction compatible without you needing to buy new models or conversions.

So all in all, despite X-Wing being a game that's perfectly possible to sink hundreds of dollars into, I'd say that what you get for your money in terms of playability, flexibility, and user friendliness is actually worth the asking price. Admittedly I don't know that Armada grabs me the same way, but if I were into capital ship battles then based on my X-Wing experience I'd certainly be inclined to give it a try if nothing else.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

MikeCrotch posted:

Was Apocalypse ever a big thing in the US? Maybe it's just because I live in Nottingham but here it felt like it was being pushed in a big way, and seeing people's reaction to it made me wonder just how brainwashed the people who played 40k were. it was like GW was this awesome uncle who had just given you an excuse to buy even more overpriced models, because now you could use them in *huge battles*. It was bizarre.

The defining moment for me was when one games day me and bunch of mates started playing a 6 player game of Twilight Imperium at the same time as another bunch of guys started playing an apocalypse game. 6-7 hours later, we are finishing our game of TI and getting kicked out of the building. We asked the 40k players how far they got as they are packing up. "Oh, about half way through turn 3."

There's no saving some people.

The release of apocalypse was around that turning point for me with GW, there are scales suited to 'apocalyptic' scale games and 28mm isn't one of them and it felt like exactly like you described, just one big cash grab. The introduction of the plastic baneblade heralded what I'm going to call the 'big kit' age and after investing the money in the technology, they were going to find a way to use it..... aanndddd before you know it, every army has its own 'big' centrepiece model. In plastic.

I do want to play games with titans and super heavy tanks. I do play games with titans and super heavy tanks in it. It's called Epic and if GW were at all interested in 'the narrative' rather than shifting their jewel like objects of wonder then EA would still be a thing.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Video of the New White Dwarf doing the rounds - highlights are new codex is £35, Warlock/Farseer Bike is £20 for One,
New Formation that requires Vypers (cos Everyone has those, right), an option for 3 Crimson Hunters (But not 1 or 2).

'D' weapons (Wrathguard, Wrathknight etc) are now Destroyer-Strength, as is the Wrathknights' sword.

And jetbikes still have Battle Focus, which lets them shoot and run in the same turn. Except bikes can't run.

That's me done. I've already got rid of most of my GW Stuff, but I was holding onto the Eldar as I've had them since 40k started.
I'm getting rid of those as well now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just fyi $320 gets you 600 points of Eldar down here, real bargain

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

enri posted:

The release of apocalypse was around that turning point for me with GW, there are scales suited to 'apocalyptic' scale games and 28mm isn't one of them and it felt like exactly like you described, just one big cash grab. The introduction of the plastic baneblade heralded what I'm going to call the 'big kit' age and after investing the money in the technology, they were going to find a way to use it..... aanndddd before you know it, every army has its own 'big' centrepiece model. In plastic.

I do want to play games with titans and super heavy tanks. I do play games with titans and super heavy tanks in it. It's called Epic and if GW were at all interested in 'the narrative' rather than shifting their jewel like objects of wonder then EA would still be a thing.

Spot on my thoughts. That too felt like the turning point between playing decent 1500 games with good manoeuvring into APOCALYPSE BIG GAMES MORE MODELS BIGGER MODELS £££££££££££.

Mega battles/titans in 40k were nice to do every now and again, but having them in every game was stupid.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Those videos I've seen where there are 40 tables all in a line, and 1-2+ foot tall robots standing 4 feet across from each other with a smattering of tanks and irrelevant troops, nothing moving, just masses of dice being rolled, rerolled, rolled for something else, rolled again, for 6 hours, are the most absurd wargaming youtubes I've ever seen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

NTRabbit posted:

Those videos I've seen where there are 40 tables all in a line, and 1-2+ foot tall robots standing 4 feet across from each other with a smattering of tanks and irrelevant troops, nothing moving, just masses of dice being rolled, rerolled, rolled for something else, rolled again, for 6 hours, are the most absurd wargaming youtubes I've ever seen.

I've seen people try to do these big rear end games and for all the dice rolled they never finish, even when they put in 12-16 hours.

And for what it's worth I don't even think 28mm is suitable for 40k at its current battle scale sans apocalypse. I think 15mm is probably a better fit and lets you get out some better tables but people can disagree on this.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

NTRabbit posted:

Just fyi $320 gets you 600 points of Eldar down here, real bargain

So what you're saying is that an entire army of jewel like wonder is under $1,000 for almost enough to field an 1850 point list. I don't see what everyone is complaining about, that seems perfectly reasonable.

fart

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

Panzeh posted:

I've seen people try to do these big rear end games and for all the dice rolled they never finish, even when they put in 12-16 hours.

And for what it's worth I don't even think 28mm is suitable for 40k at its current battle scale sans apocalypse. I think 15mm is probably a better fit and lets you get out some better tables but people can disagree on this.

15mm sounds like a very good scale for what 40k games are trying to represent; it certainly works for Flames of War.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Panzeh posted:

Yeah the only times I ever finished huge scale games was as a kid/teen in the summer. We'd set up the entire basement or spare room as a table and play a huge game of WarZone/40k/Fantasy that would last days or whatever. Because that's a feasible thing to do when you're a kid and you have nothing but free time on a trip to the coast or w/e. We also used to keep track of our wrestling video games obsessively and all of our friends would have their own character and you could only play that character and we would have belts and poo poo that got passed around. There's a lot of stupid poo poo you can do when you're young and have no personal responsibility is what I'm saying I guess.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Joe_Richter posted:

15mm sounds like a very good scale for what 40k games are trying to represent; it certainly works for Flames of War.

Yeah, 15mm is great if you want a focus on skirmishing troops and a couple of tanks or similar vehicles, and 6-10mm is great if you want large groups of ranked infantry and big-rear end titans and stuff.

So 40K would work better as FoW, Apocalypse would work better as Epic, and and WHFB would work better as Warmaster. But going from how well Epic and Warmaster did I guess people are married to the idea of large battles in 28mm.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, 15mm is great if you want a focus on skirmishing troops and a couple of tanks or similar vehicles, and 6-10mm is great if you want large groups of ranked infantry and big-rear end titans and stuff.

So 40K would work better as FoW, Apocalypse would work better as Epic, and and WHFB would work better as Warmaster. But going from how well Epic and Warmaster did I guess people are married to the idea of large battles in 28mm.

What gets me is that a large reason that they're married to 28mm is "the increased detail of the miniature". So they can paint them to look fancy I guess. And you show up at a tournament or LGS or whatever and over half the miniatures are unpainted.

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013

lilljonas posted:

But going from how well Epic and Warmaster did I guess people are married to the idea of large battles in 28mm.
Well, not really. Its a pain to paint a 40k or WFB sized army of 28mm. It takes WEEKS. In reality, GW killed epic/warmaster because they make more money on huge 40k armies.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I enjoyed apocalypse. Back when my store had an active 40k scene we did apocalypse days every other month or so.

Did some minor guidelines that more or less turned it into a big team battle, ie bring ~2000pts of whatever you wanted, some people (me) had enough to double up if the number of players was odd.

The stakes were pretty much the winning team got a round of drinks, everyone more or less played to test out or show off dumb things (eldrad's seer council! Heirophants!) and was generally pretty pleasant.

I think there was one dumb argument and that was about how the heirophant stat line changed with the new tyrannid codex.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Its nothing personal to anyone who posts in the other thread, I just do think that GW has nearly brain washed a certain part of its part followers. Sure you should read there staff hiring manual from year back.

Not sure if they still have to do this but a few years ago I was hanging out after hours with some people at the local GW and one of the guys was prepping for the test he had to take for a raise. Half of it was a multiple choice test on the proper way to sell stuff to people but the other half was more hilarious. They showed you pictures of the GW management and you had to identify them. They had a big binder full of their photos that you had to study like HR and sales managers.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 15, 2015

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Radish posted:

Not sure if they still have to do this but a few years ago I was hanging out after hours with some people at the local GW and one of the guys was prepping for the test he had to take for a raise. Half of it was a multiple choice test on the proper way to sell stuff to people but the other half was more hilarious. They showed you pictures of the GW management and you had to identify them. They had a big binder full of their photos that you had to study like HR and sales managers.

The final test is the two minutes hate, they show you a picture of a warjack and you have to show sufficient HATE or no raise for you.

We have always been at war with Privateer Press

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

lilljonas posted:

But going from how well Epic and Warmaster did I guess people are married to the idea of large battles in 28mm.

I've said this before, but ultimately any success those games enjoyed was in spite of GW than because of it.

Warmaster launched with Empire and Tomb Kings, and didn't "complete" the miniatures range until like a decade later. When it was cancelled. Some armies were direct only. And Tomb Kings wasn't even a Warhammer army when WM came out! There had been rumours of a "dry undead" to go along with Vampire Counts' "wet undead," but this was the first anyone ever saw these guys.

Meanwhile, Epic: Armageddon got plenty of support... if you played Space Marines. Or orks, I guess. Otherwise you were hosed unless you had the old stuff. Chaos got a single plastic sprue and some chaos versions of vehicles. There was a handful of remastered figures for Eldar. Dark Eldar, Sisters, and Necrons never materialized. Tyranids were relegated to a single sprue and a handful of metals. Tau were Forgeworld exclusives. And when IG showed up, it was with a bunch of tanks the IG never had.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think my 'favourite' thing about Warmaster was that one of the scenarios in the rulebook involved Bretonnians, whose rules were not published in the rulebook.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Warmaster had an Araby army with genies and stuff which was a cool way to flesh out their world with stuff they couldn't do in Warhammer Fantasy. It's too bad that you practically had to already know it existed in order to discover it was something you could buy.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Radish posted:

Warmaster had an Araby army with genies and stuff which was a cool way to flesh out their world with stuff they couldn't do in Warhammer Fantasy. It's too bad that you practically had to already know it existed in order to discover it was something you could buy.

advertising is otiose in a niche

(I always wanted to play Warmaster and Epic, never got around to it :smith:)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
That reminds me of the Warmaster battle report they did in WD, Empire+Dwarfs vs Chaos. Chaos had the option of using a greater daemon as their general, except naturally they hadn't made a model for it in Warmaster scale. So they just used a 28mm scale one instead and tripled its stats to fit the fact it was fuckoff huge compared to everything else, which I thought was surprisingly fun for GW. It still got shot to death by cannons in the end, IIRC, so just like normal Warhammer I guess.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The most Warhammery moment ever was when the local store did a Clash of Worlds event where it was Warhammer Fantasy versus 40k megabattle. Everyone brought something like 200-300 points to fill up three tables worth of stuff and the base rules changed depending on whose turn it was. The local power gamers were the Fantasy players and just brought a ton of cannons and blew up all of the 40k tanks on the first turn since they were stronger than lascannons and could hit multiple vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Your local store was touching balls before it was cool

• Locked thread