Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Speaking of hacks, I was playing MM earlier and a player on the opposite team was pretty fishy. I had my doubts but as it wasn't overly blatant I kept my mouth shut. He was VAC banned mid-match. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Can you still offload your inventory items in a specific game if you get VAC banned from it? Seems like "freezing the assets" so to speak would probably scare away the more invested players from fooling around with cheats.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
Gotta love how salty people get when they are losing in ESEA. I have an overall 7.5 RWS because I don't give a gently caress, and 90% of the time I just throw the bomb away to someone else and go for kills. Today I played the game of my life on Cache and some dude was raging insanely hard, and calling hacks, and telling me I was terrible at the game because he looked at my match history and "I am an overall garbage player", etc. Ended up with 16 RWS in the game, and every time I ran into the guy I killed him and teabagged him and typed in "lol" just to rub it in.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Icept posted:

Can you still offload your inventory items in a specific game if you get VAC banned from it? Seems like "freezing the assets" so to speak would probably scare away the more invested players from fooling around with cheats.

VALVe has a vested interest in keeping cheaters around and buying skins and additional copies of the game so they'll never implement such significant policies. It might also run afoul of monetary policy in some domains as well.

but it would sure do a lot to stop hackers

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Icept posted:

VAC banned users also receive trade bans. It is possible to offload your inventory before the ban if you suspect you're going to be VAC banned, however.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Hackers ruin way more than just the games they are in

Every time I get on a team where people just start complaining about hacks even though the 'hacker' has a whole bunch of deaths, it gets really obnoxious to play. I don't usually mute people or use voice_enable 0, but hearing complaining in my ear about something as dumb as a match of counter-strike isn't a fun way to spend 30 minutes.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Flip side of the coin, being called a hacker is pretty flattering. I still get "triggerbot" tossed at me all the time, which is just the nicest compliment.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
The only thing worse than having a bad team to play with is having a bad team that also call the other team's best player a hacker just because they're playing well. Only time I've legitimately seen a hacker was when I jumped into a casual match and two people were voted off for blatantly hacking (both were like 15-3 and their only deaths were to each other).

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Matchmaking

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Playing on custom competitive servers makes me so confused about why casual exists. What if we made Counterstrike, but took away economy, ruined pistol round, put way too many people on the maps, and made the rounds take forever? Sounds great let's do it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Most of my matchmaking games have been good fun! I don't get the aversion to mm when the other alternatives either need a) a boatload of people, b) a paid service with an ostensibly higher skill ceiling, that isn't really guaranteed to be better anyway or c) casual, which is by far the worst game mode and mostly a joke option

E: compared to the pcws of days past and all the hassle that involved, mm is pretty fantastic

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 15, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Elysiume posted:

Playing on custom competitive servers makes me so confused about why casual exists. What if we made Counterstrike, but took away economy, ruined pistol round, put way too many people on the maps, and made the rounds take forever? Sounds great let's do it

None of that is overtly bad until you add in the free spectating. The only thing worse than wondering if everyone killing you is walling is if one of their friends is ghosting for them.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Lacedaemonius posted:

None of that is overtly bad until you add in the free spectating. The only thing worse than wondering if everyone killing you is walling is if one of their friends is ghosting for them.

e:nm

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i am really bad at this game but the hit boxes seem to be anally precise and i never seem to kill anyone despite looking like i was aiming at them all the time and then they jump do a 360 and headshot me with a handgun

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Give it a month or two and you'll be the one doling out instant 180' headshots, friend

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
drat, someone brought up the little tower up the T ramp on Inferno from 1.6. I had totally forgotten about that. It's been so long...

And then I was reminded of the fact that CSGO never got a de_prodigy. I really liked that map. :shobon:

Elysiume posted:

I wish casual was competitive ruleset with larger player caps.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Revitalized posted:

drat, someone brought up the little tower up the T ramp on Inferno from 1.6. I had totally forgotten about that. It's been so long...

And then I was reminded of the fact that CSGO never got a de_prodigy. I really liked that map. :shobon:

We played prodigy on a goonman a couple weeks ago, the nostalgia was real

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I wish Valve would run their servers at 128 tick and stop pushing their terrible in-house maps like Train and Nuke, and just add the good maps that everyone not on Valve servers plays like Mill, Season, Fire, Tuscan, etc

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Boy i'm sure glad I get mathcmade with a 4 stack of idiot clanmates who have mics muted (cause they're on skype) except to call me a useless shithead when I'm 2nd on the team, and to TK me because I'd picked up their awp from a previous round.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Revitalized posted:

Just like the good old days. I live in Aus so finding community servers can be a real bitch. I just want to relive the glory days of 1.3 pubgames.

I did find one 18 player comp rules server with UT99 announcer lines though... M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 15, 2015

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Bohemian Nights posted:

Flip side of the coin, being called a hacker is pretty flattering. I still get "triggerbot" tossed at me all the time, which is just the nicest compliment.

I've been asked if I used a macro. Is that even a thing?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Phosphia posted:

I've been asked if I used a macro. Is that even a thing?

I'm sure it's theoretically possible to make a macro that counteracts recoil to some degree, yeah. I doubt it's very widespread, though!

icantfindaname posted:

and stop pushing their terrible in-house maps like Train and Nuke

That's a strange way to say "Nuke is clearly the best map in the game"

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 15, 2015

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Elysiume posted:

Did you not play pubs in any of the previous cs versions? 12v12 $16k office/d2 with a 5 minute round timer was the most popular way to play cs. Cs go is actually weird in that so many people play 5v5 now.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Norton posted:

Did you not play pubs in any of the previous cs versions? 12v12 $16k office/d2 with a 5 minute round timer was the most popular way to play cs. Cs go is actually weird in that so many people play 5v5 now.

Lot of it was for the community though. Like people usually stuck to the same server and got to recognise each other so it got to be kinda like a big chill chatroom. Casual matchmaking doesn't let you select who you want to play with short of lobbies

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Casual is trash, Valve DM is trash. Just go find a real community server, then add to favourites.

In other news, a hacker in Silvers forced me to abandon my Nova in favour of the Mac-10 and MP9 temporarily, and I feel bad for betraying my own ideals :qq:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Norton posted:

Most popular servers were 32 players in my experience. I even played some 48 player games on source aztec. It was retarded.

I was used to 32, that was the quintessential cs experience for me all the way from 1.6 to whenever the gently caress I stopped playing source. 5v5 is definitely weird but got used to it too.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Prodigy was fun when you were just loving around in pubs back in the day but in today's competitive atmosphere it is total trash.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I never got the prodigy love. It's too small for even 5v5.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I never got the prodigy love. It's too small for even 5v5.
It's 100% nostalgia but that doesn't mean the fun isn't real!!

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Oh man the 16v16 office games back in the day. I want a competitive version of that, it would be crazy.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Elysiume posted:

People also played nothing but 32-slot 2fort in TF2. Some people like eating nothing but Hot PocketsŪ

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
The good thing being that the messy 10v10 casual CSGO brawl doesn't take anything away from the strategic and calculated competitive 5v5 CSGO, so feel free to play whatever mode you fancy.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Skiant posted:

The good thing being that the messy 10v10 casual CSGO brawl doesn't take anything away from the strategic and calculated competitive 5v5 CSGO, so feel free to play whatever mode you fancy.

Made a new steam account, went nova/deagle only the entire time unless we wound up with a bunch of smurfs on the other team. It ranked me SEM.

I just got to SEM playing legitimately on my normal account. Apparently my "loving around" is just as good, or better, than my sikk pro-strat calling in-game-leader dirtnasty flickshot try-hard.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

invision posted:

Made a new steam account, went nova/deagle only the entire time unless we wound up with a bunch of smurfs on the other team. It ranked me SEM.

I just got to SEM playing legitimately on my normal account. Apparently my "loving around" is just as good, or better, than my sikk pro-strat calling in-game-leader dirtnasty flickshot try-hard.

It turns out that unless you purposely miss shots (tedious), it doesn't matter what gun you use. I ranked into MGE running spawn pistol only.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

sleppy posted:

Maybe we're all just bad.

new thread title

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

kaschei posted:

It's 100% nostalgia but that doesn't mean the fun isn't real!!

prodigy is one of the most fun gman maps, same with mist. and believe me i was a mist hater before i played it!

the fun is real

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Ahdinko posted:

Oh man the 16v16 office games back in the day. I want a competitive version of that, it would be crazy.

Anyone remember runarena? http://www.aboutus.org/RunArena.com that's the only thing I can find online, server ruled.

vehk
Jan 31, 2014

invision posted:

You probably know this but the difference is on the first account you probably took some early losses as you learn the mechanics that tanked your initial ELO so you have to dig out of the hole. The fresh account starts on level ground.

I started this game having never played CS and didn't know anything about maps or recoil. I didn't do any DM or anything I installed the game and queued MM with some friends and it was a shitshow. Somehow I still ranked at S4 despite killing maybe 4 people in my first 10 games but it took 65 wins to get from S4 to Nova 1. Then only 6 more wins to go from Nova 1 to Nova 3.

Sometimes I wonder if I started a new account what I could initially rank at if I went try-hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

please add this accurate representation of cs to the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIXFR5Mh7gM

• Locked thread