Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Rocksicles posted:

I'm the same, don't like typical Ben Stiller movies for that reason. and i fast forwarded most of these two episodes for that reason. It's losing me pretty quickly, and i'm not a TV quitter.

There wasn't anything really cringeworthy in the second episode. You should watch all of it. Unless you're extremely sensitive. Nothing compares to that car scene at night. Man that was fantastic.

Also I think people are still being amazingly hard on Phil. Calling him a sociopath is a bit extreme. First you have to wrap your brain around the whole end of the world scenario so normal social conventions don't really mean poo poo anymore. I agree there's a bit of cowardice involved when it comes to Carol but I think deep down he's a decent guy. He just got stuck in an impossible situation that he made worse by lying instead of coming clean right from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

People keep bringing up that end of the world/he's been alone for so long angle, but then so was everyone else. Carol is nuts but probably always has been, but the rest of the cast managed to stay normal, well adjusted and pleasant people despite going through the same thing Phil did.

But yea, just caught up on the second ep, glad that chapter's dealt with, and seems this time Phil's realization about himself might have been genuine. As per the preview, looks like they are handing the villain ball to Carol now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone should just leave Phil and Carole in Tucson and go live anywhere else together since those two are just messed up crazy people. Then the show can be about two people that don't get along trying to get along during an end of the world scenario.....you know, like the show should have been.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
So far I've been enjoying this show a lot and not really understanding the issues some people have with it.

...except for that part some goon mentioned about why Phil is the only one who seems to have gone insane. Didn't at least Todd, Carol and Melissa also spend a very long time (was it 2 years?) thinking they were the last people on earth too? Were the Alive in Tuscon signs up for so long that they were able to cling to sanity with that?
I guess it's not really bugging me, and Carol seems to be pretty nutty - albeit it seems to be established that's just her personality since always - but I keep wondering each episode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
On the topic of that, a big swerve would be Melissa turning out to be some sort of black widow and killing Todd.

Go too long without human contact and anybody could go completely insane. That'd probably be pretty dark for a Fox sitcom, though.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Don't get why he keeps sticking with the sham marriage, he's shown he's willing to be a scummy dick in other ways, but telling the crazy woman that he doesn't want to play house any longer would cross the line?

Because it worked for Bill Clinton?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
MacGruber is a funny and sympathetic character for a 90 minute movie, but really really not for a television show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ChesterJT posted:

There wasn't anything really cringeworthy in the second episode. You should watch all of it. Unless you're extremely sensitive. Nothing compares to that car scene at night. Man that was fantastic.

I was just over his ridiculous lies, and man child act. It's poo poo to watch, hopefully it gets better because i love the premises and i like the other actors.

This is the first serious TV whinge i've had in ages, it's not how i roll.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

tarlibone posted:

"Let's just over with which to get this."

Because the rule about ending sentences with prepositions isn't a real rule in English except for those who hold onto it steadfastly, blissfully ignorant that it arose only because some people 200 years ago thought English should be more like Latin because that makes sense, Carol has to routinely come up with this kind of nonsense.

I actually spent some time trying to riddle this one out. Yes, I know it's her version of "Let's get this over with," but I think she's wrong here. To quote a great man, "That can't be right." Using "with which" implies that there is something with which something is done. Observe: That is the shovel he digs his holes with = That is the shovel which which he digs his holes. Carol is using this template inappropriately, unless "just" is a noun that describes an object with which Carol & friends will get something.

So I'm sorry, Carol. That can't be right.

The proper answer to this nonexistent English grammar rule, near as I can tell, is, "Let's just with this get over."

I'm using "get over (this)" as a verb phrase, which is actually a thing as long as I have an object (which I do, 'this'). Yes, "over" can be a preposition, but it isn't always one. In any event, it's not as wrong as Carol's horrible mangling of the sentence is.

I figured it'd be "Let's just get over with this."

I loved Phil's silent treatment. That probably had me laughing harder than most of the rest of this show in a long time.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Man these last episodes were ableist as gently caress
They writers need to check their sleeping privilege
SLEEP APNEA IS NOT A JOKE

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I love the list of grievances on the board:

- Stop peeing on the grass.
- Get new shoes.
- Pick up lawn garbage.
- Clean dishes from cul-de-sac.
- Empty port-a-potty.
- Stop driving snow mobiles on the street.
- Must clean toilet pool.
- Must empty garbage pool.
- Fix door.
- Husbands must live with their wives
- Wear shirt.
- Clean cow room.
- Stop driving on our lawns.
- Less staring.
- Don't use the flamethrower near dry bushes.

And then Phil's angrily scribbling:

- Less outside haircuts.

pentyne posted:

There is clearly going to be a new arrival before the finale that will gently caress the entire situation up, probably a new male character.

I'd love for some completely jacked male model-esque guy to show up and make Phil and Todd freak out and team up together only for them to find out right at the end of the episode that new guy is 100% gay.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

At least until Boris Kodjoe shows up, who's now listed as being a castmember on the Wiki page, which hasn't been wrong yet.

Think you pretty much nailed it.

The Last Man on Earth: "Let's just over with which to get this."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I think a big problem with the show is that no one other than Carol and Phil really have any personalities. They're just perfect goodie two-shoes straight men/women to bounce Phil's wackiness off of.

Also, even though Phil "learns" something at the end of a few episodes, it never sticks and he's back to being a jerk the next show. Of course, if he did learn to be a nice person, there wouldn't be any more conflict because of the whole 1-dimensional character problem mentioned above.

I dunno if I should stick with the show anymore, since the only good scenes are between Phil and Carol.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The show should just keep adding more & more characters until it has a LOST-esque ensemble.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Lovin the latest reveals for the show, I'm glad they came to a head to some of the more ridiculous behaviour Phils been doing.

Jerkface posted:

The show should just keep adding more & more characters until it has a LOST-esque ensemble.
Hey Jerkface come back to Hollywood Handbook, you would be great for a listener call in episode they started doing again

red19fire
May 26, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I think a big problem with the show is that no one other than Carol and Phil really have any personalities. They're just perfect goodie two-shoes straight men/women to bounce Phil's wackiness off of.

Also, even though Phil "learns" something at the end of a few episodes, it never sticks and he's back to being a jerk the next show. Of course, if he did learn to be a nice person, there wouldn't be any more conflict because of the whole 1-dimensional character problem mentioned above.

I dunno if I should stick with the show anymore, since the only good scenes are between Phil and Carol.

I think Will Forte is charismatic, but not enough to carry an entire network show.

I like the Phil character as a goon in that Burgess Meredith Twilight Zone episode, finally left alone he drives all over the country stealing art, eating cheetos and drinking all day. Instead of his glasses breaking, he meets another human and has to try to stop being selfish.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I'll have to go back and check, but Phil only came clean about lying, right? He never came clean about stealing the cow, never apologized for trying to kill Todd, nor do I remember him apologizing to Carol for explicitly trying to cheat on her with Gale and Erica.

My guess is that it is still a long way to go before Phil Miller is likeable.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't even want him to be likeable I got a bit excited near the end of the 2nd last episode because I thought they were going to completely abandon him while be becomes a mountain-man living on the fringes of their subdivision, The Last Man on earth in the sense that he is his own personal island but he knows full well there are other people around who cant stand him.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm fine with him being unlikable, I wish he was less pathetic and creepy. Right now he's not just unlikable but unsympathetic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just think it's not a very well written show. It started out really strong but then tanked pretty quickly.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just think it's not a very well written show. It started out really strong but then tanked pretty quickly.

I was excited because Phil Lord and Chris Miller had their names attached but they don't have any actual writing credits. Will Forte has the (usually sole) writing credit for every episode and if you look at his previous writing credits they include such highlights as being one of the ten writers for Extreme Movie, the infamous bomb The Brothers Solomon, and seven years of MTV Movie Awards sketches.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
And here comes the model. Sorry Phil, your market value just dropped

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I really liked this episode. Phil getting stuck on the billboard and then only being able to say "but, I'm phil." Then the call back to his jenga tower, and he even loses at that.

I'm excited for the phil and todd team up too.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Phil up on the billboard was pretty good. I do like that Phil's decisions always come back to bite him. I would like for more of the episodes conflicts to not be based on sex, but I'll take a good episode nonetheless.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
My only major complaint about the episode is that Phil didn't find the ladder on the back. Like, it's a fun punchline and all, but I don't buy even Phil being that incompetent.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Don't blow it, Todd :ohdear:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

NowonSA posted:

My only major complaint about the episode is that Phil didn't find the ladder on the back. Like, it's a fun punchline and all, but I don't buy even Phil being that incompetent.

I thought the punchline was if Phil had not gone up there, he would have got to bang Erica and Gail, and New Phil would not have gotten to be a hero when he came to the scene.

The comedy to me came from Phil being his own worst enemy, and the thing that hinders him getting what he wants. It reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George Costanza does the opposite of what his instincts tell him to do, and he is wildly successful.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

I thought the punchline was if Phil had not gone up there, he would have got to bang Erica and Gail, and New Phil would not have gotten to be a hero when he came to the scene.

The comedy to me came from Phil being his own worst enemy, and the thing that hinders him getting what he wants. It reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George Costanza does the opposite of what his instincts tell him to do, and he is wildly successful.

Well Phil being his own worst enemy is probably the biggest theme of the show so far, and has been documented thoroughly. Having that happen again is no big deal. The ladder punchline is a new wrinkle on this happening again, but again how do you not check out your entire surroundings when you're stranded there for 24 hours?

If my idea of a straight up willing-to-murder psycho showing up is paid off in new Phil Miller I'll love this show forever. New Phil being an intentional rear end in a top hat to the other guys wouldn't be bad either, for starters I have to believe he's lying about his name because it is just a vastly unlikely scenario. Phil was probably saying his name in the middle of a heat delusion.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Well Phil being his own worst enemy is probably the biggest theme of the show so far, and has been documented thoroughly. Having that happen again is no big deal. The ladder punchline is a new wrinkle on this happening again, but again how do you not check out your entire surroundings when you're stranded there for 24 hours?

If my idea of a straight up willing-to-murder psycho showing up is paid off in new Phil Miller I'll love this show forever. New Phil being an intentional rear end in a top hat to the other guys wouldn't be bad either, for starters I have to believe he's lying about his name because it is just a vastly unlikely scenario. Phil was probably saying his name in the middle of a heat delusion.

Interesting note, Mary Steemburgen and Boris Kodjoe are listed as recurring characters. Everyone else is listed as cast members.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

Interesting note, Mary Steemburgen and Boris Kodjoe are listed as recurring characters. Everyone else is listed as cast members.

I could see him going for the easy kill first. I'd say Phil's the easiest, but I imagine he'll have a gun on hand, maybe even a flamethrower if your timing sucks.

There are also rad high-concept ethical issues that they could get into. With so few humans around, can you really enforce capital punishment? You can't really exile or banish anyone, at least not when they're smart and willing to kill. Losing any member of society (even useless Phil Miller or murderer Phil Miller) means sacrificing the only valuable/limited resource of significance. And you do still need all the genetic diversity you can get, and unless artificial insemination tech is developed that means letting even killers make babies.

Of course, conversely if someone kills a really bad guy (even if he's been captured), you also can't really punish them at all for the same reason you can't execute a prisoner.

I don't expect this to come up this season, but having a real human threat in a later season makes a lot of sense to me. You can still have comedic elements to this too, the characters are chased out of Tucson by a newcomer and settle elsewhere in Arizona, then you do an episode where the new bad guy welcomes a new man or woman to Tucson and acts super nice, then ticks one of the horrific deaths or fates worse than death off his murder list. Then end that episode with the next person showing up... it's dark comedy, but you could pull it off. It would depend a lot on the writing and even more on the actor, of course. And with that approach, who better to be doing it than someone using the name Phil Miller...

Anyway, that's my overanalysis/wild ideas for the month, hope you enjoy it!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
My only slight problem is that Todd conveniently is becoming slightly less sympathetic the same moments a new perfect man shows up. Obviously, the show can't have two good men to contrast with Phil Tandy.

I wonder what direction they'll take Todd. He seemed legitimately grateful for running into Phil Tandy and the rest; initially created a great new impression with the community; and still has Phil Tandy's example of not what to do despite some emerging anxieties.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Echo Chamber posted:

My only slight problem is that Todd conveniently is becoming slightly less sympathetic the same moments a new perfect man shows up. Obviously, the show can't have two good men to contrast with Phil Tandy.

I wonder what direction they'll take Todd. He seemed legitimately grateful for running into Phil Tandy and the rest; initially created a great new impression with the community; and still has Phil Tandy's example of not what to do despite some emerging anxieties.

I think it was just Melissa saying "Thanks" to Todd's declaration of love that sort of threw him. It seems that really messed him up and introducing a much hotter and more reliable Phil that all the girls are going gaga over didn't help.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I don't think I like this show anymore. It just hasn't turned into what I would have liked. It's disappointing, it started out really promising.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The show was funny when the environment itself was more of a character. Now it's just "haha this guy has a boner and none of the hot chicks like him haha" over and over.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
A ladder on the other side of the billboard... but when I was watching, I didn't see a way to access the other side of the billboard.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I liked this episode more than the latest ones; Phil and Todd against new Phil seems like an interesting plot. Kristen Schaal cleans up nicely.

The only thing that dissapointed me was that from the title I thought Phil was actually going to move to Tampa and we'll get a new "Last Man on Earth" situation.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

tarlibone posted:

A ladder on the other side of the billboard... but when I was watching, I didn't see a way to access the other side of the billboard.

Most billboards have a ladder built into the support pole of the entire structure on the backside, like so:

and there are special ladders that the companies use with hooks at the top the grab onto the bottom rung so the ladder specifically doesn't fall down with someone on the billboard, like so:

The built-in ladder was just never shown because all we ever saw of the billboard was the front.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The fact they played Jenga to see who keeps the name Phil was especially hilarious to me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gynovore posted:

Unironically, this would be awesome.

Say it starts out like before. Phil searches the country and finds no one, then settles in Tucson. He has a gleeful few months living without rules, smashing bowling balls into things, smashing cars into other cars, drinking and masturbating 24/7. But before long loneliness sets in, he's talking to balls and considering suicide. Then Carol shows up and he's all "woo woo, pussy!" but she's batshit insane and after 15 minutes he's "uh, nope." But eventually they get 'married' and start making whoopie, albeit just to repopulate.

Then a slightly hotter and less insane girl shows up, and he's all "awww yeah!", and eventually convinces Carol to let hm do her "so our children won't have to have sex!!!" Then another, even hotter woman comes, and he's all over her. Then another, even hotter woman, and another, finally culminating in Miss Teen USA who just turned 18 two weeks ago. He's doing them all, and playing them off in his moronic way. And the girls all need him to do "Honey-do" things like fix the door and run water lines and grout the downspout or whatever, and they're all unilaterally against his poop-pool but he's too lazy to change.

And then at the end, when the show goes the way of all Fox sitcoms, we find it was all a dream. Phil is doinking all seven of them at once, then wakes up; he's a low-level scientist at the CDC. Returning to his lovely job, he passes by a vault with a dozen biohazard warnings on the door, pauses, and smiles...

So basically what you're saying is that this is the Last Man on Earth you were looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Q8DqtfHk0

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I think this show can be funny, but it's essentially morphed into Wiley Coyote except with loving being the objective instead of eating the roadrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I think this show can be funny, but it's essentially morphed into Wiley Coyote except with loving being the objective instead of eating the roadrunner.

An unsettling peek into the mind of Will Forte.

• Locked thread