Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

mrking posted:

I thought that was Gordon and Skye's mom

It was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is Reina related to Skye at all? I seem to remember this being a thing but I can't recall the details, so I might have imagined it. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Wait, hold the phone, Gordon and Skye share a mother?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

Wait, hold the phone, Gordon and Skye share a mother?

[Gordon] and [Skye's mom].

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

double nine posted:

Is Reina related to Skye at all? I seem to remember this being a thing but I can't recall the details, so I might have imagined it. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I'm pretty sure you are remembering the implications they were the same kind of thing back before they were transformed. We now know that meant they're both Inhumans, not that they're actually related.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Okay so some lazy sleuthing (typing Agents of Shield promo on Youtube) yielded the same promo held before the Kimmel show, with most of the clips being the ones throughout the season and the Ultron teasers. Anyone got a link to the other one mentioned?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
An Initiative spinoff would be awesome. Paul Rudd does TV sometimes, right?

Its kind of crazy to think there will be 6-7 ongoing Marvel tv shows alongside the film franchises.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The frustrating (actually it's incredibly good storytelling) thing about the Civil War leadup is that both sides really have legitimate points. Gonzales' SHIELD is wondering what in the ever loving gently caress Coulson is up to that he won't even tell his lieutenants and Coulson doesn't want Reel Big SHIELD to continue clamping down on people with powers where they could do some good in the world.

The tell, though, is in the language being used. When May, Jemma, etc. talk to inhumans, they say "fixed". When Coulson and Fitz talk about her, they don't use that kind of language. Also, isn't the Hydra doctor's name they're looking for Dr. Fix? Did I hear that right? :tinfoil:

Basically RSHIELD are being hypocritical authoritarian jackasses and I'm on Captain American's Phil Coulson's side. :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

The frustrating (actually it's incredibly good storytelling) thing about the Civil War leadup is that both sides really have legitimate points. Gonzales' SHIELD is wondering what in the ever loving gently caress Coulson is up to that he won't even tell his lieutenants and Coulson doesn't want Reel Big SHIELD to continue clamping down on people with powers where they could do some good in the world.

The tell, though, is in the language being used. When May, Jemma, etc. talk to inhumans, they say "fixed". When Coulson and Fitz talk about her, they don't use that kind of language. Also, isn't the Hydra doctor's name they're looking for Dr. Fix? Did I hear that right? :tinfoil:

Basically RSHIELD are being hypocritical authoritarian jackasses and I'm on Captain American's Phil Coulson's side. :colbert:

Then why is he hiding his super duper secret project? And not telling Simmons that she is actually making Deathlok batteries? Burn down both sides and start over fresh.:colbert:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

double nine posted:

Not in the slightest. I remember she was orphaned, lived with her grandmother, who regaled her with tales of special people they would become, then she died and she ran about with a bunch of kids on the streets similar to her until she met Cal, who took her away from that and raised her. It was kind of father/daughter, where he taught her about how to become Inhuman, not necessarily that results may vary, obviously. In exchange, she'd help him find Skye and try to keep him stable.

It's why she's so jealous of Skye, her relationship with Cal, everything.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Chokes McGee posted:

Also, isn't the Hydra doctor's name they're looking for Dr. Fix? Did I hear that right? :tinfoil:

Did I miss something here? Who is looking for a Hydra doctor?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Dr. List. Which, before you move on to another theory, is probably not because he's a Doctor of Lists, but is his name.

mikeraskol posted:

Did I miss something here? Who is looking for a Hydra doctor?

He was the Hydra boss they didn't kill. The one who was with Von Strucker in the post-Winter Soldier credit scene. Coulson mentioned that Mike Peterson had been tailing him.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mrking posted:

I thought that was Gordon and Skye's mom

Right. That makes more sense. I'd just watch Episode 7 of Daredevil Monday night, so Stick was fresh in my mind. Of course Gordon needs sunglasses when he's out in public. Also, of course they were there. That's how she knew the story of what happened.

Thank you.

Ambivalent posted:

Dr. List. Which, before you move on to another theory, is probably not because he's a Doctor of Lists, but is his name.

He was the Hydra boss they didn't kill. The one who was with Von Strucker in the post-Winter Soldier credit scene. Coulson mentioned that Mike Peterson had been tailing him.

Actually, I think it's Liszt. Pronounced like List, but not spelled that way.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Actually, I think it's Liszt. Pronounced like List, but not spelled that way.

I would think that, but it's in the credits as List, so.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

I would think that, but it's in the credits as List, so.

Welp. Thank you for that. Weird choice on their part, but... :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ambivalent posted:

Guys, it all makes sense now! What if---

oh

:smith:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

So that is set just before Iron Man 1?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Seven years ago", Iron Man came out in 2008, so yeah, that sounds about right. Just before or right around.

Actually, no. I mean, the Avengers reference might mean that was the intention but if so then they've done a sloppy retcon. The established timeline basically said:

Iron Man
(6 months pass)
Iron Man 2, Thor and The Incredible Hulk happen in the same week
(1 year passes)
Steve Rogers is found, and the events of The Avengers occur shortly afterwards.

Then Iron Man 3 occurs a few months later, and from then on I guess the movies are spaced in real time along with AoS.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So who, exactly, would be stockpiled in Coulson's superpower summer camp? There are presumably plenty of people on the Gifted index, but not that many we've seen who are both A. mentally stable and B. alive. The Inhumans have their own summer camp in the mountains of Whereversia, so I don't think they would want to come. Who does that leave? Mike Peterson? Brainwashed Ice Nerd that Skye shot and definitely did not kill because the show made a point of telling us they never found his body?

Because as far as I can tell, all the other superpowered people in the show fall into those three categories; dead, evil/insane, or Inhuman.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

This was a really, really good episode. Even though I'm really enjoying Daredevil, I'm glad I took a break to watch AoS.

They could basically have a Marvel channel on TV. Show all the movies, all the TV shows, the cartoons. I'd watch. Make it happen, Disney.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Spergatory posted:

So who, exactly, would be stockpiled in Coulson's superpower summer camp? There are presumably plenty of people on the Gifted index, but not that many we've seen who are both A. mentally stable and B. alive. The Inhumans have their own summer camp in the mountains of Whereversia, so I don't think they would want to come. Who does that leave? Mike Peterson? Brainwashed Ice Nerd that Skye shot and definitely did not kill because the show made a point of telling us they never found his body?

Because as far as I can tell, all the other superpowered people in the show fall into those three categories; dead, evil/insane, or Inhuman.

It could be preemptive in that he wants to start a training place rather than incarcerating any Gifted people they find in the future. Or it could be a total smokescreen, New Shield is wrong, and it isn't a Gifted school at all. New Shield shows up guns blazing and finds a big surprise banner and a new Shield school.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BreakAtmo posted:

Actually, no. I mean, the Avengers reference might mean that was the intention but if so then they've done a sloppy retcon. The established timeline basically said:

Iron Man
(6 months pass)
Iron Man 2, Thor and The Incredible Hulk happen in the same week
(1 year passes)
Steve Rogers is found, and the events of The Avengers occur shortly afterwards.

Then Iron Man 3 occurs a few months later, and from then on I guess the movies are spaced in real time along with AoS.

Comic book time: The Eternal Now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mikeraskol posted:

It could be preemptive in that he wants to start a training place rather than incarcerating any Gifted people they find in the future. Or it could be a total smokescreen, New Shield is wrong, and it isn't a Gifted school at all. New Shield shows up guns blazing and finds a big surprise banner and a new Shield school.

Coulson's school for gifted youngsters!

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
So after witnessing May's backstory, I've concluded that anytime somebody makes a joke about May being the Calvary they are unknowingly being tremendous assholes. :smith:

This episode went a long way to explain why May is the way that she is now. She's broken - not to the extent that she can't function, but now we know why she seems to cut off her emotions.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Should have given her pain.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Aphrodite posted:

Chloe Bennet is only 22.

THAT'S NOT HER AGE!!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

THAT'S NOT HER AGE!!

That is never NOT going to be funny.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Chloe Bennet is only 22. I wonder if there's a reason to make her older.
The significant looks her parents gave each other when she went 'wait, I'm 26?!' made me think they meant she was born in 1888 and just went with it. Which would make sense if she inherited her mom's healing ability or w/e.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oracle posted:

The significant looks her parents gave each other when she went 'wait, I'm 26?!' made me think they meant she was born in 1888 and just went with it. Which would make sense if she inherited her mom's healing ability or w/e.

What.

Edit: I'm sure I'll end up being wrong about this but it seems like you are reading way too much into that.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 15, 2015

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I think the year was wrong, but Cal went with it so they're not separated again. And now I'm wondering if that's even Skye's mom or just someone stealing her face.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SpikeMcclane posted:

I think the year was wrong, but Cal went with it so they're not separated again. And now I'm wondering if that's even Skye's mom or just someone stealing her face.

Yeah I was expecting the stories to not match up. There is something up with Cal and once again Daisy will be betrayed by the people she thought were family.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Spergatory posted:

It's not a huge leap to think that there are more gifted out there that haven't been grabbed/tagged/whatever. Hell, we just had a whole show dedicated to one of them. It sounds like Fury had a second list in the box, probably of useful gifted people who weren't insane, that wasn't shared with the rest of SHIELD. The man is 'THE' spy, after all, and this was probably one of a hundred contingency plans for 'suddenly, aliens attack!'

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah I was expecting the stories to not match up. There is something up with Cal and once again Daisy will be betrayed by the people she thought were family.

There's something up with that whole afterlife place. It's too much of a perfect utopian paradise for it not to have a million skeletons in the closet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some people's powers are to generate skeletons. Don't be a racist.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

I have to assume the Elders are going to love her, she'll get an in, and then really make trouble when she has visions of Skye leaving and/or Afterlife being invaded.

Did the mountain resort actually get called "Afterlife" in the show and I missed it, or is "Afterlife" just a nickname that's floating around here?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Did Skye's mom actually mention the year of her birth or just the day? I would have to go back and watch it, but I think it was just the day and she never mentioned the year.

It was just the fact that Cal mentioned the year and it was an extra little bit of surprise that she's a year older than she thought, that's all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That scene seemed a bit too awkward to not be relevant. But shrug. *insert Ward sex with dog joke here*

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Did Skye's mom actually mention the year of her birth or just the day? I would have to go back and watch it, but I think it was just the day and she never mentioned the year.

It was just the fact that Cal mentioned the year and it was an extra little bit of surprise that she's a year older than she thought, that's all.

That's probably the reason for the look, yeah.

The reason her being 26 stood out to me though is because usually a character is the same age as the actor that plays them, unless there's a reason not to be. The only thing that comes to mind is that they had Whitehall's release placed in 1989, so Skye had to have been born before that. That could even be the only reason. Maybe they just didn't think of Skye/Bennet's age when they put the date on there at the time or something.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Agree that the scene seemed really strange, but I couldn't come up with a decent reason why they would need to lie about it. It lines up with Whitehall being released, her Mom being captured, and her being dropped off at the orphanage.

Crackpot theory, Daisy is dead and Skye is her younger sister born after her Mom got stitched back together with possible Nazi experiment side effects. Her mom would have had to have gotten pregnant again almost immediately after giving birth to Daisy for this to be possible though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its just Skye surprised that she's a year older than she thought and the scene doesn't mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Love that SkyeMom called Skye Skye and Cal didn't correct her.

• Locked thread