Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

EDIT: gently caress I always have the worst drat snypes.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Holy poo poo guys I think Marvel can handle one dude saying he wishes they stopped making movies, he didn't say he wished the a charity would stop existing or something.

I genuinely wouldn't give a poo poo if he'd stuck to his guns and said in no uncertain terms "I hate superhero movies and want them to stop being made", what I objected to was the immediate backtracking, and defensiveness towards people accurately quoting him.

You don't get to say "I want this genre dead" and then say "it's all a difference of taste" and not expect people to notice a contradiction. Vosgian Beast, if you did not really mean that you want superhero movies to fail, then you should say so, and admit your mistake. If you really did mean that, then own up to it and don't act like people are calling you a Nazi because you don't like the same movies as them, that maybe what you said could be objected to, and if you don't care about the objections, then, well, discussion over. Just don't loving waffle and play martyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
To maybe bring this back on topic, I always enjoy stuff like RedLetterMedia's Half in the back when they cover superhero movies, because it is really nice to get a perspective from people who are not superhero fans.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

EDIT: gently caress I always have the worst drat snypes.

I genuinely wouldn't give a poo poo if he'd stuck to his guns and said in no uncertain terms "I hate superhero movies and want them to stop being made", what I objected to was the immediate backtracking, and defensiveness towards people accurately quoting him.

You don't get to say "I want this genre dead" and then say "it's all a difference of taste" and not expect people to notice a contradiction. Vosgian Beast, if you did not really mean that you want superhero movies to fail, then you should say so, and admit your mistake. If you really did mean that, then own up to it and don't act like people are calling you a Nazi because you don't like the same movies as them, that maybe what you said could be objected to, and if you don't care about the objections, then, well, discussion over. Just don't loving waffle and play martyr.

Try not giving a poo poo regardless please.

You are accusing this guy of playing martyr because he dislikes the marvel universe you spaz.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Try not giving a poo poo regardless please.

No thanks

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You are accusing this guy of playing martyr because he dislikes the marvel universe you spaz.

Try reading comprehension next time, it will take you places in life.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like the Marvel movies but I'm 100% sure if not for the use of nerd beloved guys like Joss Whedon the fans of them would be waaaaaaaaay less forgiving.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like the Marvel movies but I'm 100% sure if not for the use of nerd beloved guys like Joss Whedon the fans of them would be waaaaaaaaay less forgiving.

Which is probably why he was chosen, because, let's be honest, Avengers is an incredibly blandly made movie.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Marvel movies are enjoyable almost in spite of themselves, and their style of directing and choreography in the action scenes was pretty poo poo, except for Winter Soldier and now Daredevil, which when it gets away from unnecessary flips and obvious wires, is pretty goddamn legit.

There's good things happening in the comics, and I'd recommend anyone interested in both superhero action and the ideological ramifications of the contemporary superhero and nerd culture at large paradigm to check out the most recent volume of Secret Avengers, by Ales Kot and Michael Walsh, which involves M.O.D.O.K. trying to save the world from a Jose Luis Borges inspired otherworld with the power of love and empathy. And also a sentient bomb named Vladimir.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I see its time for the weekly reset button,

3,2,3,4 4,2,3 and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

Content, Chucks back from his week off and has another SG1 review up, given how big the Stargate franchise is (anyone remember that awful cartoon?) its impressive to see he speaks with almost as much authority on it as he does with Star Trek, he said years ago he wouldn't cover it due to being unfamiliar with the show until he'd caught up and it shows.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OldTennisCourt posted:

I mean, is the glut of superhero movies THAT bad?
Yeah.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This is outdated, but pretty illustrative, just ignore the Spider-Man stuff:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I mean, there's literally hundreds of movies beyond those though. Yeah people love em and there are a ton of them, but this whole idea that the very fabric of cinema is being destroyed by superhero films is dumb as hell. There's more than enough indie, interesting, out there stuff being made. It Follows just came out and it's outstanding.

It really seems like people are really desperate to not just dislike comic movies but to act like they're literally killing film as an artform when we've had bubbles and film trends since the literal beginning of cinema. If it wasn't superhero films it was going to be sci fi or horror or detective films or something. This isn't exactly a new thing here.

V-----It's....super easy to not talk about them? Just bring something else up or just not talk about them. Like are people in the street punching you in the stomach if you deviate from "Oh man Age of Ultron is gonna rule!" It's really not that big a deal dude.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 15, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No one's saying that the very fabric of cinema is being destroyed, they're saying that it's annoying and boring. It's nigh impossible to avoid talk about them, especially if you're interested in movies.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Okay.

Just, like, don't see all of them?

You don't need to see every movie right away, it can wait till it's on home video.

Or stop talking about them, you can step out of the conversation for a bit. That would include newsfeeds and forum posts too, which are incredibly easy to ignore. This is probably the reason most people get sick of these movies, because even though the ticket says it's 2 hours and a little bit, in reality you're spending hours, days even, talking with friends about it, watching the trailer on repeat before release, reading previews and watching reviews from a dozen different people, I think by around the point where your cross-referencing comics lore with the movie is the point where you're investing far, far too much into a single 2 hour movie. Repeat up to 9 times a year by 2017 and it's not surprising some people get burnout, to which I say, please watch other movies. Disconnect for a bit. Eat eggs instead of cereal for breakfast.

Considering just how saturated with entertainment we are today, I always find it slightly baffling when people say they're sick of something they enjoy, because the obvious answer, to me, is to do something else for a while. Entertainment is not going to go away. We can still watch movies from freaking 1935, the latest 2015 blockbuster is still gonna be there in 2016 when you feel like watching it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Okay.

Just, like, don't see all of them?

You don't need to see every movie right away, it can wait till it's on home video.

Or stop talking about them, you can step out of the conversation for a bit. That would include newsfeeds and forum posts too, which are incredibly easy to ignore. This is probably the reason most people get sick of these movies, because even though the ticket says it's 2 hours and a little bit, in reality you're spending hours, days even, talking with friends about it, watching the trailer on repeat before release, reading previews and watching reviews from a dozen different people, I think by around the point where your cross-referencing comics lore with the movie is the point where you're investing far, far too much into a single 2 hour movie. Repeat up to 9 times a year by 2017 and it's not surprising some people get burnout, to which I say, please watch other movies. Disconnect for a bit. Eat eggs instead of cereal for breakfast.

Considering just how saturated with entertainment we are today, I always find it slightly baffling when people say they're sick of something they enjoy, because the obvious answer, to me, is to do something else for a while. Entertainment is not going to go away. We can still watch movies from freaking 1935, the latest 2015 blockbuster is still gonna be there in 2016 when you feel like watching it.

I'm not really complaining, just pointing it out.

e: And I agree with you, it's the nerd hype culture that surrounds these movies that make them so tiresome.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 15, 2015

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

When the superhero movies start bombing at the box office we're probably going to see a whole lot of these movies canceled.

I have no confidence in Ant Man or Fantastic Four succeeding either.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mutation posted:

When the superhero movies start bombing at the box office we're probably going to see a whole lot of these movies canceled.

I have no confidence in Ant Man or Fantastic Four succeeding either.

Careful, Warren J. Marvel-Disney will hear you and shut down all of them forever and fire everyone who makes them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can I just say that I wish joss whedon had never touched the Marvel movies? I like a lot of the individual flicks but I felt that he sidelined most of the cast in Avengers to push Tony Stark and Black Widow to the front simply because they both play into his favorite character archetypes. Cap and Thor got turned into strawmen who are pointlessly disagreeable to screate false drama.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So can anyone recommend a critic who can say something about Marvel/superhero movies in terms of cinema?

e: Checking Brows Held Highs episodes

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Careful, Warren J. Marvel-Disney will hear you and shut down all of them forever and fire everyone who makes them.

And you say you're not an rear end in a top hat. :allears:

As for internet critics, there's a new Previously Recorded out, this time on Bloodborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTf-_FnGz68

Even though I don't usually agree with Jack on gaming fronts, I have to say, I do agree with him a lot on his feelings of discovering poo poo for yourself in games, that's the most fun you can have right there. And after their talk about it, I now really feel that he and Rich would absolutely adore La Mulana. Or hate it. I'm not sure.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

So can anyone recommend a critic who can say something about Marvel/superhero movies in terms of cinema?

achillesforever6 posted:

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/the-avengers-between-the-lines-7189206
Interesting video on superheros by Kyle

E: I learned more about the MCU and superhero movies than any musing from CD on how "bad" the MCU is and how I should not like these bad movies which are killing the art that is cinema

Also, if you feel like reading a whole lot, Film Crit Hulk has some good stuff on superheroes. Here's his words on Iron Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

As for internet critics, there's a new Previously Recorded out, this time on Bloodborne.

Even though I don't usually agree with Jack on gaming fronts, I have to say, I do agree with him a lot on his feelings of discovering poo poo for yourself in games, that's the most fun you can have right there. And after their talk about it, I now really feel that he and Rich would absolutely adore La Mulana. Or hate it. I'm not sure.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I put a price of 20,000 dyrrim on his head.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
These topics are pawns.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also, if you feel like reading a whole lot, Film Crit Hulk has some good stuff on superheroes. Here's his words on Iron Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2

I suppose there isn't a version that isn't written with that dumb gimmick?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Since we are talking superheroes, I'd recommend watching Superhero Rewind. It's one man's quest to review every superhero movie ever.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

I suppose there isn't a version that isn't written with that dumb gimmick?

No. You get used to it. It's also kinda fun to read aloud.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was watching their stream of Bloodborne and man can Jack get grating with some of the things he says, also Rich too with stuff about how they think "The Last of Us" is the oscar bait version of video games even though they never played it.

I would agree that discovering stuff on your own is great in video games, its what makes stuff like Fallout New Vegas so replayable since I still discover something new with every playthrough.

Also I would like to apologize for starting up this superhero bullshit, even though I can get wayyyyyy too defensive for the MCU. This must be what it feels like to be a fan of the Michael Bay Transformers movies, except with less apologizing for racist characters

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Zephirum posted:

These topics are pawns.

I think they're wonderful.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hey todd you fucker when you gonna do a one hit wonderland on rusted root

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FirstAidKite posted:

The greatest tragedy of SA was when the old Internet Critic thread on PYF closed down right when Todd was thinking of getting an account.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I think the franchise thing is really a spin-off from TV doing so much better nowadays. It used to be TV was kind of looked down on, "real actors" stuck to movies. But now that TV has stepped up its game and been given opportunities that weren't present before, lots of bigger actors are involved and the storytelling is far more satisfying than what can be told in one movie. And comics/superheroes are the perfect venue for franchises because they have pre-existing extended universes and name value. And more movies = more money, so hey.

EDIT: Yes to Rusted Root. Send me on my way...

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Miss Wallace posted:

I think the franchise thing is really a spin-off from TV doing so much better nowadays. It used to be TV was kind of looked down on, "real actors" stuck to movies. But now that TV has stepped up its game and been given opportunities that weren't present before, lots of bigger actors are involved and the storytelling is far more satisfying than what can be told in one movie. And comics/superheroes are the perfect venue for franchises because they have pre-existing extended universes and name value. And more movies = more money, so hey.

Plus, superhero movies translate well across cultures, making them easy sells in non-US markets, which make up a huge portion of Hollywood’s revenues these days. They also have lots of opportunities for marketing tie-ins, and the nerd market is so desperate for validation of their interest in comics that they’ll use a huge chunk of their disposable income to buy up graphic tees and statuettes.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can I just say that I wish joss whedon had never touched the Marvel movies? I like a lot of the individual flicks but I felt that he sidelined most of the cast in Avengers to push Tony Stark and Black Widow to the front simply because they both play into his favorite character archetypes. Cap and Thor got turned into strawmen who are pointlessly disagreeable to screate false drama.

I'm not a big fan of Whedon in general; I'm drawn to stories mainly for characters, and he seems to only view characters as snark dispensers. Not sure I'll bother to see any future Avengers stuff if he's at the helm, despite my general love for the individual characters, since he doesn't seem interested in what makes them cool.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hey KKall your marvel video was good.

that's all

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FirstAidKite posted:

Well he had 4 Patreon supporters request songs, maybe that's one of the three left. Also now I want to go watch Matilda.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Not only that, TV was almost always seen as a stepping stone to movies. The original SNL cast did not leave SNL to TV, they left to do movies.

TV becoming diversified not only drove down ratings for the networks, but meant that niche shows liked by a few million could still be hits, and more creative freedom. Shows like Breaking Bad would have never happened 15-20 years ago. Services like Netflix (DVRs as well) have helped, allowing binge watching to help people keep up with heavy serialized shows. Also, the technology has improved to the point that you can shoot TV with movie level cinematography.

I think TV is going through an evolution similar to what New Hollywood was in the late 60's and 70's.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Puppy Time posted:

I'm not a big fan of Whedon in general; I'm drawn to stories mainly for characters, and he seems to only view characters as snark dispensers. Not sure I'll bother to see any future Avengers stuff if he's at the helm, despite my general love for the individual characters, since he doesn't seem interested in what makes them cool.
Well its a good thing that the Russo Brothers seem to be the new darlings of Marvel since they are doing the next Avengers movies and hopefully the quality will be as good as Winter Soldier.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
They were only a hit in Canada so it's obviously not going to happen but I'm pretty curious as to how an episode about B-4-4 would go down. (I wonder if there were any Australian bands this insane)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhv6gipA3dc

Canadian one hit wonders are either really generic or really bizarre. I don't mean the stuff that everyone knows about like She's So High or The Safety Dance. Artists like Elise Estrada, Belly and Shiloh are lucky that the content law exists because they wouldn't have gotten radio play otherwise. Sure, I heard them constantly in 2007/2008 but no one actually cared about them and they dropped off the radar almost immediately.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

Well its a good thing that the Russo Brothers seem to be the new darlings of Marvel since they are doing the next Avengers movies and hopefully the quality will be as good as Winter Soldier.

Winter Soldier got a lot of buzz, so I am happy for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PassTheRemote posted:

TV becoming diversified not only drove down ratings for the networks, but meant that niche shows liked by a few million could still be hits, and more creative freedom. Shows like Breaking Bad would have never happened 15-20 years ago. Services like Netflix (DVRs as well) have helped, allowing binge watching to help people keep up with heavy serialized shows. Also, the technology has improved to the point that you can shoot TV with movie level cinematography.

I think TV is going through an evolution similar to what New Hollywood was in the late 60's and 70's.

I think it's been slowly percolating since 2000 or so. It probably started with The Sopranos (and possibly The West Wing, to a lesser extent).

• Locked thread