Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I don't remember if acls were on the first test but they were hard for me to understand. Study subnetting until your eyes bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Know subnetting forwards and backwards and all of your show commands as other have mentioned. And take your time! You cant go backwards in the exam, so really take your time to examine all of the details.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Anyone have any good resources for Citrix certification? Work has gone heavily into that, so I'm working on the 1Y0-200, and figure I should do some learning on Netscaler as well.

Problem is, I can't find jack all for books or anything.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I'm moving to US in a few months, does anyone have suggestions on certs/reading I could look at to get into employment fairly fast as someone without experience in the industry but general experience with home computer stuff, and family help desk guy type thing. Moving to Tucson, AZ if that changes what is relevant in terms of what drives the economy in an area.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

WetSpink posted:

I'm moving to US in a few months, does anyone have suggestions on certs/reading I could look at to get into employment fairly fast as someone without experience in the industry but general experience with home computer stuff, and family help desk guy type thing. Moving to Tucson, AZ if that changes what is relevant in terms of what drives the economy in an area.

CompTIA A+ is the basic entry level certification if that's what you want to do.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

CompTIA A+ is the basic entry level certification if that's what you want to do.

What kinda reading would you want to do to prepare for something like that? Is the OP still pretty up to date with regard to the Sybex books being good?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

WetSpink posted:

What kinda reading would you want to do to prepare for something like that? Is the OP still pretty up to date with regard to the Sybex books being good?

The books are still good, and so are Professor Messer's YouTube videos. Highly recommend you watch them.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Cisco ICND2 scheduled for this Thursday...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

MrBigglesworth posted:

You can do it. Know your spanning tree!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Best of luck! Let us know your thoughts on it when you're done. I think I'm going to have to bite it and write that exam just to have it on my resume.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

TeamIce posted:

Anyone have any good resources for Citrix certification? Work has gone heavily into that, so I'm working on the 1Y0-200, and figure I should do some learning on Netscaler as well.

Problem is, I can't find jack all for books or anything.

There's really no books for the 1Y0-200 - believe me, I tried looking and I studied/labbed hard on the Xendesktop 7 Cookbook.

That gave me a wonderful understanding of Xendesktop 101 that has directly helped me work on more and more Xendesk issues, but I got a 63% on the exam with 66% to pass.

It goes into Netscalers but not into troubleshooting them, at least, not much. It's readily available at many sources.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Passed my 801 today with a 736. Not as good as I wanted to do but a pass is a pass!
Now to crush the 802.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Congrats! Keep grinding.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Woo A+ certified!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

magicalmako posted:

Woo A+ certified!

Oh dang, grats - two right next to each other? Nice!

Now get that foot in the door!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks to dilbert as gently caress for recommending WGU to me

It was cheap, convenient, I learned a lot, got a lot of certs, and a job with a pretty good raise a month after graduating

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MrBigglesworth posted:

go over spanning tree , netflow, and how to read show ip int readouts and figure out whats wrong with them

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Eonwe posted:

It was cheap, convenient, I learned a lot, got a lot of certs, and a job with a pretty good raise a month after graduating

Is this online?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Is this online?
Yes. You can also knock out a bunch of upper level courses through industry certs. You can check out some of the transfer guidelines for various IT degrees here...

https://share.wgu.edu/sites/academi...FDocuments%2FIT

Not sure how the exact transfer forks but a CCNA + CCNA:Sec could be worth 25 credits if I'm reading it correctly? I think.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think they bumped up the credit hours afterward, but when I enrolled a ccna was 8. A+ was 8 as well, covered 2 of the 3 Intro to It courses

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ozu posted:

Yes. You can also knock out a bunch of upper level courses through industry certs. You can check out some of the transfer guidelines for various IT degrees here...

https://share.wgu.edu/sites/academi...FDocuments%2FIT

Not sure how the exact transfer forks but a CCNA + CCNA:Sec could be worth 25 credits if I'm reading it correctly? I think.

This is asking me for a login, is there another way I can check out the available classes?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

This is asking me for a login, is there another way I can check out the available classes?

The programs are listed here

http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/bachelor_degree_programs

I'm also a WGU Alumni and have nothing bad to say about it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Try this for the cert transfer guidelines...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7g8vi0i9c...0-2015.pdf?dl=0

There are also straight Information Technology and Software Development tracks that differ slightly.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Eonwe posted:

Seconding this. I got a new job with nearly double the pay after finishing my master's degree there, and I wasn't doing badly to begin with. Absolutely worth it.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I'm currently enrolled in WGU (started 1st of the month) and I'm quite enjoying all the resources they give you. Granted I looked at all my coursework in detail(as someone who started with only A+) and I suddenly felt a wee bit overwhelmed as someone who thought they might be able to knock it out in 3 years. :ohdear: I feel that's not gonna be realistic especially when I decide to actually look for a job once I get Net+ from the first semester.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zeratanis posted:

I'm currently enrolled in WGU (started 1st of the month) and I'm quite enjoying all the resources they give you. Granted I looked at all my coursework in detail(as someone who started with only A+) and I suddenly felt a wee bit overwhelmed as someone who thought they might be able to knock it out in 3 years. :ohdear: I feel that's not gonna be realistic especially when I decide to actually look for a job once I get Net+ from the first semester.

Its absolutely doable. Right now, the classes you are looking at are giving you a foundation. Do go through them slow and learn the stuff. There are some classes that build on each other or are kind of connected to another class. There are 12 credit hours of web development stuff. It seems like it would take a whole semester, right? Well if you do them back to back while you have the knowledge fresh in your mind you'll knock them out quick. There are like 24 credit hours of server administration stuff, but the first 8 credit hours are the really loving tough part. The other 16 are simply expanding the knowledge base you got from the first 8.

Don't rush and don't feel pressured to rush through the classes, but I guarantee you that you are going to naturally pick up the pace. I was in the exact same boat as you. Just for the love of gently caress sit down with it every night. Don't study once or twice a week, actually immerse yourself in it. I had another bachelors degree going into this, so I knocked a lot of time off of this degree, but I basically spent a full year either working or studying. You don't have to be as hardcore as that, but make sure you do the work. Don't casually read the textbook and then go download a brain dump and call it a day.

so what im trying to say is, you got this man

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also even after graduating I still have access to the library, Lynda.com and a ton of other resources. Its good poo poo

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
PASSED ICND2!

And I hosed UP.

I get nervous on testing, so when the first sim came up, as we know they usually have 4 questions, I answered the first one and hit next, leaving the next 3 completely blank. I hate the test UI and what looks to be 800x600 resolution.

But got out a 973 so the sim must not have been weighted too badly!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

Its absolutely doable. Right now, the classes you are looking at are giving you a foundation. Do go through them slow and learn the stuff. There are some classes that build on each other or are kind of connected to another class. There are 12 credit hours of web development stuff. It seems like it would take a whole semester, right? Well if you do them back to back while you have the knowledge fresh in your mind you'll knock them out quick. There are like 24 credit hours of server administration stuff, but the first 8 credit hours are the really loving tough part. The other 16 are simply expanding the knowledge base you got from the first 8.

Don't rush and don't feel pressured to rush through the classes, but I guarantee you that you are going to naturally pick up the pace. I was in the exact same boat as you. Just for the love of gently caress sit down with it every night. Don't study once or twice a week, actually immerse yourself in it. I had another bachelors degree going into this, so I knocked a lot of time off of this degree, but I basically spent a full year either working or studying. You don't have to be as hardcore as that, but make sure you do the work. Don't casually read the textbook and then go download a brain dump and call it a day.

so what im trying to say is, you got this man

How would you say the classes at WGU compared to classes from your previous bachelors? I've been auto-denied on a few job applications for not having a bachelors degree in a business or information science-related field, so I was thinking about enrolling at WGU for their Business IT or IT-Security program since I'm assuming my bachelors at Michigan State would knock off a ton of the gen-ed requirements and I could get the degree plus certs all at once, but I don't have a ton of experience with online classes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GobiasIndustries posted:

How would you say the classes at WGU compared to classes from your previous bachelors? I've been auto-denied on a few job applications for not having a bachelors degree in a business or information science-related field, so I was thinking about enrolling at WGU for their Business IT or IT-Security program since I'm assuming my bachelors at Michigan State would knock off a ton of the gen-ed requirements and I could get the degree plus certs all at once, but I don't have a ton of experience with online classes.

As far as busy work goes, there is basically no "do this thing and then this and this" in WGU, whereas with a regular bachelor's degree there are multiple tests, essays, etc. And I get why that is, you need to demonstrate throughout the semester that you are engaged and learning. With WGU, to be perfectly honest, there isn't as much handholding. They give you the material, they give you practice exams, and sims, and then you are expected to make your way through it. The bulk of my classes had only one grade, and that was a final exam (typically involving going and getting X or Y certification offsite). This is a good and bad thing. If you know the material, you don't need to write multiple essays proving it. If you don't know the material you will either fail or you will have passed using a brain dump and learned nothing.

A WGU degree can honestly be pretty worthless if you are just trying to pass classes. But if you actually put a lot into it and try to learn the material I'd say the amount I learned is at least on par with the amount I learned from a more traditional institution. I sat through 20 interviews before I finally got a job, and never once did I have an interviewer indicate that having an online degree was a problem, or honestly that they even knew it was an online degree.

And yes your bachelors at Michigan State will knock out pretty much anything non IT related. For some reason my humanities class didn't transfer along with a business class everyone had to take, but they were really really easy. I think the IT Security is probably the best bang for your back certification wise as well. The networking emphasis knocked out the CCNA (just get a Network+ now :psyduck:, but last I checked the security one still has it).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

MrBigglesworth posted:

PASSED ICND2!

And I hosed UP.

I get nervous on testing, so when the first sim came up, as we know they usually have 4 questions, I answered the first one and hit next, leaving the next 3 completely blank. I hate the test UI and what looks to be 800x600 resolution.

But got out a 973 so the sim must not have been weighted too badly!

Goongrats when I took it my mind almost totally blanked on show run, the most basic command in the book. Its amazing what stress can do.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

XakEp posted:

Seconding this. I got a new job with nearly double the pay after finishing my master's degree there, and I wasn't doing badly to begin with. Absolutely worth it.

Out of curiosity, masters in what? I've thought about an advanced degree (have a BS) but I honestly don't know what I'd do it in. I'm not a dev so CS doesn't seem worth it. MBA or some other business/management field? I aspire to a position like "Director of Operations" at a small to mid size company as one possible 5 year plan so learning to manage people and deal with the financial side of the house better is very appealing.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 24, 2015

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Docjowles posted:

Out of curiosity, masters in what? I've thought about an advanced degree (have a BS) but I honestly don't know what I'd do it in. I'm not a dev so CS doesn't seem worth it. MBA or some other business/management field? I aspire to a position like "Director of Operations" at a small to mid size company as one possible 5 year plan so learning to manage people and deal with the financial side of the house better is very appealing.

Information security and assurance.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

XakEp posted:

Information security and assurance.

If you don't mind me asking- where was your program? I have a MS in Information Management and I am considering going back, but a lot of the Security and Assurance programs around me seem new and untested.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Immanentized posted:

If you don't mind me asking- where was your program? I have a MS in Information Management and I am considering going back, but a lot of the Security and Assurance programs around me seem new and untested.

Not sure what you mean but I went to WGU.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Second shot at 70-411 tomorrow. Not hugely confident, have had less time to study than I did the first time.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I'm just finishing my first semester at WGU in the MSISA too. I thought it was decent so far. The only downside to the school is that I feel like I have to explain to everyone that it is a non-profit and fully accredit school to everyone that asks me where I'm going.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Haydez posted:

I'm just finishing my first semester at WGU in the MSISA too. I thought it was decent so far. The only downside to the school is that I feel like I have to explain to everyone that it is a non-profit and fully accredit school to everyone that asks me where I'm going.

Yeah the fact that it's regionally accredited and non-profit is extremely unusual for online schools and pretty awesome.

Eonwe posted:

As far as busy work goes, there is basically no "do this thing and then this and this" in WGU, whereas with a regular bachelor's degree there are multiple tests, essays, etc. And I get why that is, you need to demonstrate throughout the semester that you are engaged and learning. With WGU, to be perfectly honest, there isn't as much handholding. They give you the material, they give you practice exams, and sims, and then you are expected to make your way through it. The bulk of my classes had only one grade, and that was a final exam (typically involving going and getting X or Y certification offsite). This is a good and bad thing. If you know the material, you don't need to write multiple essays proving it. If you don't know the material you will either fail or you will have passed using a brain dump and learned nothing.

And yes your bachelors at Michigan State will knock out pretty much anything non IT related. For some reason my humanities class didn't transfer along with a business class everyone had to take, but they were really really easy. I think the IT Security is probably the best bang for your back certification wise as well. The networking emphasis knocked out the CCNA (just get a Network+ now :psyduck:, but last I checked the security one still has it).

That's awesome info, thanks for this. I'm definitely going to give them a look, and the fact that I'd be able to get that BS in an information science field from a regionally accredited university AND knock out a bunch of certs I was going to study for on my own at the same time seems like it'd be a great match and worth at least seeing how many of my credits would transfer over.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I am thinking my next course of study should be CCNA Data Center, then CCNP R&S, any opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Should I get the listed edition of CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition or the newer CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120? Keep in mind I'm a poor student. Thanks.