Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

anyone have any idea how to get around sony's stupid loving SD card emulation?

I'm trying to find a way to install apps on my SD card on my Sony Xperia SP, but they've set up this stupid system where the phone emulates a main external SD card using the internal storage. So apps that move things just don't work because they can't see the real SD card, or something. I can't figure out how to set the REAL SD card as the main one, either.

Why the gently caress did sony set it up this way in the first place? Apparently the newer models can move to SD by default, but only on ones running android 4.4 and up, but mine uses android 4.3 so I'm hosed, apparently.

I'm sure there's a way around this but I'm simply not experienced enough with android to figure it out. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

In more fun Android news... :v:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/15/some-paying-users-are-being-locked-out-of-youtube-music-key-and-google-has-no-idea-how-to-fix-it/
Some people are being locked out of YouTube Music Key even though they're paying for it and Google has no clue how to fix it.

YouTube Help posted:

Some Google Play Music subscribers are currently not being given access to YouTube Music Key. Normally, Music Key access is automatically granted if you're in a launched country, and you're using YouTube with the same account that your Play Music subscription is on. Unfortunately there's no workaround.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6208261?hl=en

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/04/15/ota-download-link-nexus-7-2013-wi-fi-receiving-ota-to-android-5-1/
Nexus 7 2013 WiFi FINALLY has the OTA for 5.1.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/15/deal-verizon-moto-g-is-just-25-at-best-buy-for-4-hours/
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-wireless-prepaid-motorola-moto-g-no-contract-cell-phone-black/3041063.p?id=1219086346405&skuId=3041063
:siren:Verizon Prepaid Moto G is now $25 until 3pm Central.:siren:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/15/verizons-galaxy-note-3-gets-lollipop-today/
Verizon Note 3 finally has 5.0.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 15, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

my...my turbo will never get lollipop :smithicide:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

the nicker posted:

Any in here used a Huawei phone before? I'm wondering how bad their software customizations are. Been slowly searching for a replacement for my beat up N5 and the P8 they just announced looks really interesting. Love the size and the camera.

I've used a friend's Ascend Mate 2 for a couple days and that phone was fantastic for what it was. The UI was meh, but not really different from any other Chinese manufacturer. The concern with Huawei is since they don't have a very sizable US presence they are spotty with OS updates and also their tiff with the US government. Only the just announced snap-to and Mate 2 support US LTE if that matters. If you live outside the US you'll have quite a bit more luck.

Edit: just saw that the P8 is supposed to come to the US in May.

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 15, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

this_is_hard posted:

my...my turbo will never get lollipop :smithicide:

Nah man, it's cool. 4.4.4 is the superior release. :unsmith:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So my Nexus 6 is great at streaming games using Limelight, they look great, stream smoothly, etc. Problem is, the volume buttons are exactly central on the side of the phone, which means that when I clip the phone into my Moga Power Pro I have to put it in off center because if I cover the volume buttons with the clip they get pressed randomly.

I've found an app that I can use to change the media volume via the notification bar, but I haven't found a way to completely ignore the volume keys when pressed. Does such an app exist? I know that I could manually disable them if I root but I'm trying to avoid that because I like automatic updates and am trying to avoid the rabbit hole that is Android modding.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Wasn't there some thing HTC was doing where if you buy one of their giant phones, they would give you a smaller phone you would tether to the larger phone to use when talking on the phone? Whatever happened to that?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444093286"]
Wasn't there some thing HTC was doing where if you buy one of their giant phones, they would give you a smaller phone you would tether to the larger phone to use when talking on the phone?
That "giant" phone was the HTC Butterfly with a 5" screen. Two years ago.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Yep, HTC made little Bluetooth phones to go with their regular phone.

I guess they stopped because they realised it was stupid.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ninmeister posted:

I have a Droid Turbo, and recently every time I make or receive a phone call, I'm getting an error of contacts has stopped. I can just hit OK and continue on just fine, but what the hell? Anyone else having that? I read that clearing the contact app cache and data fixes it, but it sure didn't.

edit: and just tried making a call and it didn't happen. Maybe online on incoming calls?

fake edit 2: nope. Apparently just happens at random. Android'd.

This has happened to me a lot recently on my 2013 Moto X

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Happened quite frequently on my Droid Maxx, weird that it seems to be a Motorola thing.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Lblitzer posted:

Happened quite frequently on my Droid Maxx, weird that it seems to be a Motorola thing.

Hm. Droid Maxx on 4.4.4; happens to me

errad
May 31, 2013
I ordered a Galaxy S6 today and am pretty excited (currently using a four year old razr maxx).

But now I'm paranoid about dropping the thing. Does anyone with an S6 have any case recommendations?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lblitzer posted:

Moto G, happens to me as well.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

errad posted:

I ordered a Galaxy S6 today and am pretty excited (currently using a four year old razr maxx).

But now I'm paranoid about dropping the thing. Does anyone with an S6 have any case recommendations?

Diztronic TPU. Now and forever.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rusty! posted:

Yep, HTC made little Bluetooth phones to go with their regular phone.

I guess they stopped because they realised it was stupid.

Yeah that poo poo was stupid as hell. Who the gently caress would want a smaller phone that connects to your larger phone over bluetooth, just so you don't have to take your big phone out of your pocket?

Oh hay need to charge my watch

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

Diztronic TPU. Now and forever.

Amen.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444093286"]
Wasn't there some thing HTC was doing where if you buy one of their giant phones, they would give you a smaller phone you would tether to the larger phone to use when talking on the phone? Whatever happened to that?

Everyone realized we already have Bluetooth headsets and you can play on your phone while talking. HTC was just REALLY slow on the uptake.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Everyone realized we already have Bluetooth headsets and you can play on your phone while talking. HTC was just REALLY slow on the uptake.

Or now people have smart watches.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Stupid question: Do android phones need special cables like Apple to charge fast?

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
I'm looking to replace my Droid Razr Maxx HD (xt926) and I'm split between the Nexus 6 and the S6/S6edge. I've played a round with the S6 and it seems nice, but I'd like to give a Nexus device a shot. The problem is that I can't find a store that has one set up to play around with and the few VZ places I stopped at just tried to push other phones down my throat. The Nexus would be a huge step up as far as size goes and that could be a deciding factor. Are there any phones with a similar size that I can try at least have a general idea about how it handles? I'm on Verizon at the moment and would most likely use a plan upgrade since I'm part of a family plan for now, I'm not opposed to buying a phone outright so I can eventually jump carries though. Are there any other options I should consider for other devices?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

b0nes posted:

Stupid question: Do android phones need special cables like Apple to charge fast?
No, the cables are standard, but you need a charger and phone that both support the same fast charging standard.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Anarchist posted:

Are there any phones with a similar size that I can try at least have a general idea about how it handles?

The iPhone 6 Plus is probably the closest thing you'll find in a store, but it feels a lot different in the hand as it's both thinner and flatter than the N6

The N6 is a drat big phone: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...,8626,8908,8577

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Anarchist posted:

I'm looking to replace my Droid Razr Maxx HD (xt926) and I'm split between the Nexus 6 and the S6/S6edge. I've played a round with the S6 and it seems nice, but I'd like to give a Nexus device a shot. The problem is that I can't find a store that has one set up to play around with and the few VZ places I stopped at just tried to push other phones down my throat.
Best Buy near me just started selling rawdog Nexus 6. You might be able to go handle one there if you have a store nearby.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
I'll make a point to take a look at Bestbuy over the weekend to see what the have. I don't known how comfortable I am getting a phone sight unseen... Again. I was foolish enough to grab the first Blackberry Storm, that still stings. The s6 doesn't look bad but I'm not fond of touchwiz and the bloat that's jammed in there. I'll most likely expand my search, are there any devices that should be completely?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I've been having issues with my 2013 Moto X Developer Edition; namely, the battery is utterly borked on it, only lasts for about 8 hours with an hour of screen time, and goes from 20% battery to 0% in five minutes. Took all of five minutes with tech support to get a new phone cross shipped to me - they didn't ask for proof of purchase or anything.

Motorola customer service still seems top notch.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Posting from lolhugefone N6.

I definitely like the fit and finish but haha it's so loving big. Active Display owns bones. How did I live without it? By pushing the power button like a god drat pleb, that's how.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Anarchist posted:

I'll make a point to take a look at Bestbuy over the weekend to see what the have. I don't known how comfortable I am getting a phone sight unseen... Again. I was foolish enough to grab the first Blackberry Storm, that still stings. The s6 doesn't look bad but I'm not fond of touchwiz and the bloat that's jammed in there. I'll most likely expand my search, are there any devices that should be completely?

Verizon stores have them in now.

It's virtually the same size as the 6 plus, a hair shorter and a hair wider, but the curved back feels much better in the hand than the slab.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
The Best Buy near me sells the Nexus 6 but doesn't have any out for display, not even fake/empty units. I was able to handle one in a TMobile store before buying. Doesn't matter if you're not with TMobile, just go in there and play with the phone.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gesture typing suddenly stopped working for secondary languages after Keyboard crashed a few days ago. Works fine in English, but it's completely broken for Swedish (behaves as if it's disabled).

Using Google Keyboard on Nexus 4 running KitKat 4.4. I tried restarting the phone and dis/enabling gesture typing. I'm not sure what else to do :shrug:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Anarchist posted:

A droid turbo would be similar enough to your current phone that it won't feel too different, as it's even closer to stock android. It's bigger than the HD but not as unwieldy as a Nexus 6. After trying to help someone setup a samsung phone (S4 I think) I personally stay far away from them. No one needs like 3 incompatible preinstalled apps for everything.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Anarchist posted:

I went from a Moto X (basically pure stock Android) to a Note 4 (fairly heavy Touchwiz). The Touchwiz launcher kind of sucks, so I installed the Google Now launcher. It's fine now. I only notice Touchwiz in the pulldown shade, where it is pretty useful if a tad ugly, and in the settings menu, where stuff is separated into (not) useful sub-menus. Point is, don't worry about Touchwiz so much.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Is it normal/okay to have the Wifi bar on the battery usage screen (near Awake, Screen On, Charging) as a solid bar? I even have Wifi turned off most of the time, since I get unlimited data, but it's looking like it's on 100% of the time anyway.

I've noticed that there's a setting to allow it to use wifi even when off to query location, etc. but constant usage seems a bit much.

EDIT: Moto X 2013, stock & unrooted.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
The bar isn't for usage, just whether it's on or not, and as you've noticed, it's on even when it's off (by default at least).

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
How are people liking their G2s? Especially now that they have lollipop. I have the opportunity to pick one up very cheap and the bigger screen sounds tempting. Also can get an Ascend Mate 2 for dirt cheap but that phone might be too big for my clown hands for a daily driver phone.

How are people liking the "phablet" experience as a daily driver? I honestly spend most of my time: texting, using the Awful app and reading poo poo online.

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 16, 2015

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Personally, I love the "phablet experience". I'm on the extreme side with the Nexus 6, but I wouldn't go back to anything below 5.5 inches unless someone paid me to. Like you, most of my usage falls in the "non talking" category and for that, a bigger phone is just plain awesome. And even if I have to make a longer call, I don't feel weird holding that big thing right next to my face. I'd say go for it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just upgraded to an Xperia Z3 Compact a couple of days ago, at the moment it's on 4.4- is upgrading to Lollipop gonna irrevocably gently caress it up like the upgrade to 4.2 did on my previous Xperia T?
If it makes a difference I'm using Nova launcher instead of the Sony one.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 16, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just upgraded to an Xperia Z3 Compact a couple of days ago, at the moment it's on 4.4- is upgrading to Lollipop gonna irrevocably gently caress it up like the upgrade to 4.2 did on my previous Xperia T?
If it makes a difference I'm using Nova launcher instead of the Sony one.

Yes, of course it will irrevocably gently caress it up

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

Yes, of course it will irrevocably gently caress it up

What the gentleman is trying to say is "Try it and find out, it will probably be just fine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
OK thanks guys