Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zingih
Jan 2, 2013
Yay they actually fixed the netcode, works pretty much perfectly now. Used to be I had to have my firewall on before I could play, I think it automatically throttled the crazy pinging going on or something.

Though I still get some bugs. Today I accidentally pressed save replay after winning, it got stuck uploading, I Alt+F4'd and got hit with -128pp. Also my game crashes to desktop every time someone has certain characters in their name, leading into the same -128. Oh well.

Oh, and I guess I'm still up for games against other EU people, add me at http://steamcommunity.com//id/zingih (don't mind the sieg heiling animes, I'm not actually a Japanese nazi.)

I've a good-ish Hakan and lots of bad characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'll be up late tonight if anyone wants to get a skype call going and play.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/manseriessa

Here's my steam ID for those that don't have it. Just let me know you're from here. I've been getting a lot of spam garbage lately.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 8, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rumors are going around that the PS4 version is coming out on May 26th.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Steam pushed out a standard client update last night.

Is....is it finally fixed? :ohdear:

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
yep, same as gfwl was now

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
According to many posts I've read elsewhere yes, it is a total and complete fix now and forever. Keep an eye out for Jesus' return and/or hell freezing over.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i think i'll just keep playing endless where it's always been fine :V

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Praise GabeN for stable netcode.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

so was it capcom or steamworks that hosed it up after the gfwl transition

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

It was probably steamworks since no other multiplayer games actually work on steam.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Sure am glad it works months after I bought it now that I have little interest in playing anymore....

10/10 would throw money away again.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Steamworks, most other games make their own netcode (think ggpo) or use a client-server architecture and just use it for match making which is why it was never noticed. The Steamworks P2P api was apparently hosed

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just played a handful of matches on steam while playing in training mode (so no private rooms). Mostly I got bodied, but I did manage to blow up a Seth who had links but not footsies (wtf). The important part was that the connections were good to great, so that's a very welcome change.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

A.o.D. posted:

I just played a handful of matches on steam while playing in training mode (so no private rooms). Mostly I got bodied, but I did manage to blow up a Seth who had links but not footsies (wtf). The important part was that the connections were good to great, so that's a very welcome change.

That's pretty understandable. I'm that kind of person who has spent a whole bunch of time in training mode but never actually plays anyone so my timings are good and I can perform links somewhat consistently but don't have any idea how to actually fight a person. Well, I used to be like that, but I haven't touched SF4 in like a year. Now that the netcode is fixed probably gonna get back into the game.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm an old man. Anything harder than Vega's cr. mk > cr. mp is impossible for me, and I mess that link up all the time. I really, really hate links.

But I love street fighter. :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I love playing against people like that, I call them Training Warriors, because I can just sit back and anti-air and out-footsie them all day. Vega in particular has great tools for that.

A.o.D. posted:

I'm an old man. Anything harder than Vega's cr. mk > cr. mp is impossible for me, and I mess that link up all the time. I really, really hate links.

But I love street fighter. :(

I feel ya. :(
I still love playing Vega though, because he's got insane mobility and great buttons.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Jack Trades posted:

I love playing against people like that, I call them Training Warriors, because I can just sit back and anti-air and out-footsie them all day. Vega in particular has great tools for that.

me, Dudley, wifi
low short, low jab, stand roundhouse
oh wait i dropped it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
After a break from playing since before omega mode was out I recently hopped on and hosed up the 43rd best ibuki on live with Hugo and when I went to upload it youtube I realized I did the same thing to him before my break when he was ranked 23rd lol

I'm terrible but I have that guys number I guess.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

After a break from playing since before omega mode was out I recently hopped on and hosed up the 43rd best ibuki on live with Hugo and when I went to upload it youtube I realized I did the same thing to him before my break when he was ranked 23rd lol

I'm terrible but I have that guys number I guess.

its not hard to be a "top" ranked player for an uncommon character. Is there a most played list? I was the #3 Thawk for several months last year. I'm terrible, but 99% of online cant handle safejumps and empty jump SPDs.

A lot of the top 10 players I run into pull the plug as soon as they fall behind. Thats all it takes to be top ranked, plug pulling and a 30% DC rate

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 14, 2015

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Anyone have a link to the goon music mod? My HDD died awhile back so I don't have it anymore.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I understand, I was top 50 for hugo for a while and I can't pull off a lot of advanced stuff at all. Hes a fun character for that. Like I never even really folded claps into my game and I still was doing pretty good overall just shoving armor in peoples faces and mixing up lariat and meat squashahhhh

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I know the PP and BP stuff doesn't really matter much, but I'm feeling happy I finally broke 3k. Went 2-2 against the guy in the end..

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Wow forums cancer still exists I had no idea.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
fighting me pls http://steamcommunity.com/id/curex

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell do I do about Guy's elbow drop if I don't have an invicible anti-air option? It's even stuffed chun's neutral jump hk a bunch :cripes:

edit:apparently the answer is to walk under and punish

Pomp fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 17, 2015

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pomp posted:

What the hell do I do about Guy's elbow drop if I don't have an invicible anti-air option? It's even stuffed chun's neutral jump hk a bunch :cripes:

Don't know if Chun has anything like that but I always go for a trip-guard/low-profile.
Elena's sweep totally counters the elbow for example.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Pomp posted:

Low profile is probably your safest and most consistent option. Chun cr.mp will definitely work.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Keep in mind that Guy's floaty down MP elbow drop and his flip elbow drop are two different moves with different hitboxes/hurtboxes and so on. A good low profile move still beats both even after d.MP's hitbox buff in Ultra but neutral jump normals are a better response to flipping because it stops him from jumping over you and flip elbow is hard to get a grounded punish on. Sometimes Guy will accidentally airthrow you out of your neutral jump but that's fine, the reward is worth it. Also for Chun in particular, her nj.HK might be the best neutral jump air to air in the game but nj.HP should be even better against flip, beastly damage and I assume you can get stomps into the corner or a U2 follow up for like ~400 damage.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Mio Bison posted:

Keep in mind that Guy's floaty down MP elbow drop and his flip elbow drop are two different moves with different hitboxes/hurtboxes and so on. A good low profile move still beats both even after d.MP's hitbox buff in Ultra but neutral jump normals are a better response to flipping because it stops him from jumping over you and flip elbow is hard to get a grounded punish on. Sometimes Guy will accidentally airthrow you out of your neutral jump but that's fine, the reward is worth it.

It does 180 damage though!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/04/17/ultra-street-fighter-iv-hits-ps4-on-may-26th/

May 26th on PS4 for 24.99, dlc included

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
I play Deejay. Seriously, gently caress Dhalsim everyday all day. That match is impossible. I know this is a rant but i just lost 9-1 and it's not that I'm salty, I just don't understand. My win was due to a lucky U2 on cr.hp, the guy knew the matchup and I couldn't do poo poo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mister Blueberry posted:

I play Deejay. Seriously, gently caress Dhalsim everyday all day. That match is impossible. I know this is a rant but i just lost 9-1 and it's not that I'm salty, I just don't understand. My win was due to a lucky U2 on cr.hp, the guy knew the matchup and I couldn't do poo poo.

Why are you still playing DJ in ultra, that's a huge streak of masochism

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mister Blueberry posted:

I play Deejay.

This. Fix this. Then go from there.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Mister Blueberry posted:

When you play bad characters, you have bad matchups. If you play really bad characters, you have near-unwinnable matchups.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Let me tell you about Vega's matchup vs. the divekick.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Mister Blueberry posted:

I play Deejay.

Normally I'd be inclined to say "play whatever you like, it will probably work out fine if you put the effort in" but at some point you really are just being limited by the choice. This would be one of those times.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

A.o.D. posted:

Let me tell you about Vega's matchup vs. the divekick.

Or Gief/Sagat in basically every SF ever.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Like several other famously "bad" SF4 characters including Fei, Cammy and Gen, Ultra Deejay is one innocuous-looking buff away from top tier. Thankfully Capcom knows what's up and will never give it to him.

Sim does clobber him though, none of Deejay's solid distance-closing tools change the fact that random limbs hurt and EX Upblast hell is a real place. At least cr.MP counterpokes are really satisfying :3:

fnox
May 19, 2013

I just got a fightstick (I think it's the entry level Qanba stuff), and I had Ultra on PC but I haven't played it much since it didn't feel right with a controller.

any tips on how to get started? I've always wanted to play SF at a good level but my country has a relatively small SF scene and we don't have any arcades anymore. I've been practicing DP FADC Ultra 1 on Ryu like every single day so I can do it cleanly but I don't know where to start with the more advanced stuff like plinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

fnox posted:

I just got a fightstick (I think it's the entry level Qanba stuff), and I had Ultra on PC but I haven't played it much since it didn't feel right with a controller.

any tips on how to get started? I've always wanted to play SF at a good level but my country has a relatively small SF scene and we don't have any arcades anymore. I've been practicing DP FADC Ultra 1 on Ryu like every single day so I can do it cleanly but I don't know where to start with the more advanced stuff like plinking.

This is a good place to start, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXP0kc9Sry8

• Locked thread