Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What did mtr / pathping / whatever say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Thanks Ants posted:

What did mtr / pathping / whatever say?

I'm, err, not quite sure. I don't know how to interpret the results.
I did a test from this site to the remote router, and vice versa. The sites are connected via a VPN, so I can ping the local router IP - if I do a standard ping test, I still see the slow packets.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

spiny posted:

I did a test from this site to the remote router, and vice versa. The sites are connected via a VPN, so I can ping the local router IP - if I do a standard ping test, I still see the slow packets.

This is why we have a smokeping vm set up in every datacenter, to provide a "it's not us, it's you" to recalcitrant ISPs. Thousandeyes is an actually-pretty-good service that does this with automation and gives you pretty "no, savvis, six geographically dispersed locations say they can't get past your edge router" graphics too, might be worth seeing if their free tier suits your needs.

Storysmith fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 15, 2015

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
cheers, I'll have a look :)

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Has anyone had an issue using RemoteApps on a windows server, where all Excel documents opened through the RemoteApp open in the same excel window? We access our Dynamics install via RemoteApp, and when multiple reports are exported to Excel they open in the same window regardless of the settings in Excel (ignore DDE just makes excel crash) or on the terminal server (taskbar is set to never combine buttons). I built a RemoteApp that points just to explorer.exe on the terminal server and opened a couple spreadsheets from it, and the same thing happened. if I RDP to the server, they open in different windows.

Holy poo poo am I tired of hearing about this already. Yes, it is annoying, but it is not why you cant do your job, so quit telling your boss that.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 15, 2015

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

A user posted:

Q. When I use Yahoo to search for our company, it lists our old phone number, can you fix this?
A. No. By the way, how is life back in 1996? I suggest investing heavily in an exciting new company called "Google"...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bagpuss_UK posted:

A. No. By the way, how is life back in 1996? I suggest investing heavily in an exciting new company called "Google"...

Hate to break it to you, but this is totally something you (or someone at your company) can and should do.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-web-hosting/SLN18233.html?impressions=true

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spiny posted:

Do it from your site to the public IP, it will give you more information than doing it across the tunnel.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

KillHour posted:

Hate to break it to you, but this is totally something you (or someone at your company) can and should do.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-web-hosting/SLN18233.html?impressions=true

Seriously, I actually did spend a couple of minutes looking at it and ended up at this exact link which unfortunately all appears to be US based and gave up looking for the UK equivalent.

It was more a glib comment on how no-one I know has actually used Yahoo to search for anything this millennium.

Basically a Google search returns all correct information, so use that like everyone else does :)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
O god I should totally refresh before posting.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Seriously, I actually did spend a couple of minutes looking at it and ended up at this exact link which unfortunately all appears to be US based and gave up looking for the UK equivalent.

It was more a glib comment on how no-one I know has actually used Yahoo to search for anything this millennium.

Basically a Google search returns all correct information, so use that like everyone else does :)

https://uk.local.yahoo.com/index.html

Finding a way to actually correct the information is left as an exercise to the reader.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Word has come in that we are now adding a new department of ~100 users to the groups we support.

I am given to understand that they are on a Novell network from circa 2000, are using Thunderbird for email, and everyone has local admin. No other information has been forthcoming, except that we may also bring on one of their current desktop guys, at least temporarily.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Of note, Firefox defaults to using Yahoo as it's search engine, it changed a few months ago with one of the updates and did change it from whatever you had to Yahoo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So that's why my browser on my phone started searching Yahoo. I only got around to changing that a week ago.

Probably one of Yahoo's last futile attempts at avoiding bankruptcy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So that's why my browser on my phone started searching Yahoo. I only got around to changing that a week ago.

Probably one of Yahoo's last futile attempts at avoiding bankruptcy.

Yahoo! had 7.5 billion dollars in profit for 2014. No idea where they're getting it from but they definitely ain't in trouble these days.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yahoo! had 7.5 billion dollars in profit for 2014. No idea where they're getting it from but they definitely ain't in trouble these days.

Ali Baba, thats where.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Gilok posted:

Word has come in that we are now adding a new department of ~100 users to the groups we support.

I am given to understand that they are on a Novell network from circa 2000, are using Thunderbird for email, and everyone has local admin. No other information has been forthcoming, except that we may also bring on one of their current desktop guys, at least temporarily.

Hahahahaahahaha. Oh how I dont envy you. Please be sure to update us regularly :D

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gilok posted:

How big is your current environment? Like, is this a doubling of your workload or just a drop in the pan?

Here's to praying you have established computer use policies with executives' signatures on 'em.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A regret came in...

Though we've presented acceptable use policies to management, we haven't gotten them to pony up and endorse and enforce them. We'd be hosed in your situation if the new users from the veritable Wild West resisted control.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FireSight posted:

Ali Baba, thats where.

Yeah. I don't follow finance too closely, but I heard on marketplace that shortly after the Ali Baba IPO, it was something like 1/2 or 2/3 of their total value. I am also pretty sure I remember hearing on that same segment that without Ali Baba, they would have been heavily in the red.

re: acceptable use: I really need to make some proposals to my boss for what I can do with the time that I'm not taking tickets. The only thing that is job-applicable right now is studying Meraki. I could make a half-assed case for powershell letting me automate one or two things, but it wouldn't be significant time savings unless and until we start doing more/any remote desktop support at my level.

So far I've just been browsing the forums on my phone or looking up wedding planning stuff.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah. I don't follow finance too closely, but I heard on marketplace that shortly after the Ali Baba IPO, it was something like 1/2 or 2/3 of their total value. I am also pretty sure I remember hearing on that same segment that without Ali Baba, they would have been heavily in the red.

re: acceptable use: I really need to make some proposals to my boss for what I can do with the time that I'm not taking tickets. The only thing that is job-applicable right now is studying Meraki. I could make a half-assed case for powershell letting me automate one or two things, but it wouldn't be significant time savings unless and until we start doing more/any remote desktop support at my level.

So far I've just been browsing the forums on my phone or looking up wedding planning stuff.

A network tech with meraki is 80% downtime so yeah you definitely need to find something to do with your time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A network tech with meraki is 80% downtime so yeah you definitely need to find something to do with your time.

They insist on making us unbox Merakis in the office to make sure they work before we send them to client sites and it pisses me off because it's so much more magical when you don't unbox them and they just pull the config.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm going to sound like an evangelist here, but if you're just thinking about PowerShell in a big-project capacity, you're thinking of it wrong. Sure, you can make big scripts that will do everything from automate moving a user's profile to cleaning the breakroom sink, but you can do a lot of little boring stuff more quickly, too. For instance, say you need to know what PCs haven't connected to the domain in more than a month. You can do that in a single line in Powershell, including dumping it out to a CSV. Just added a new web domain, and need to give everyone an email address in it? Twenty minutes to get the right formatting, five minutes for it to run. In Server 2012, you can manage roles and features all from PowerShell on your desktop. Standing up three new web servers and need them to have IIS? Done in one command.

You don't want to learn PowerShell because it can make your life a little easier now. You want to learn PowerShell because that's where Microsoft's going for managing infrastructure. The newer versions of Exchange use PowerShell underneath everything, even the GUI. You can even see what command it's going to run to do what you tell it to do in the GUI tools.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

:nsamad: Tons of these files in dropbox are showing up as not being backed up why is that?
:v: Well, your files are being listed with a temp flag, that's why.
:nsamad: well fix it! Also how do I compare what's not being backed up with what you have?
:v: Uhh, you don't (actually we have a way, just not what he wanted.)
:nsamad: well figure out how and call me back!
:j: (a manager) Uh yeah don't touch that one, escalate the case. Also don't promise anything (this aspect was not listed in the ticket)

So I ask my boss what the gently caress I'm supposed to do with it, because if poo poo is assigning your files as temp, it isn't us because the software quite literally can't do that, plus out of scope work I'm not supposed to touch. He was also listed as "the it guy". No name was put for who ever I was supposed to talk to.

Sooo, I call him a few hours later from when he called, and got voicemail. Waited a few minutes, called him back and again got voicemail. Well I hope he doesn't call back pissed that we can't do jack poo poo for him and he has to figure it out on his own!

On another topic:

"hi i wanna move some subscription time between OS" (no way other than higher level techs touching the ticket)
"okay, please verify over email, answer these questions"
"yeah i dont want to do anything like that, can you just cancel me"
:what:

I just love sending nice, but passive aggressive responses to poo poo like that that wastes everyone's time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You don't want to learn PowerShell because it can make your life a little easier now. You want to learn PowerShell because that's where Microsoft's going for managing infrastructure. The newer versions of Exchange use PowerShell underneath everything, even the GUI. You can even see what command it's going to run to do what you tell it to do in the GUI tools.
More importantly, in newer versions of Exchange a bunch of functionality is no longer accessible through the GUI and requires PowerShell.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm going to sound like an evangelist here, but if you're just thinking about PowerShell in a big-project capacity, you're thinking of it wrong. Sure, you can make big scripts that will do everything from automate moving a user's profile to cleaning the breakroom sink, but you can do a lot of little boring stuff more quickly, too. For instance, say you need to know what PCs haven't connected to the domain in more than a month. You can do that in a single line in Powershell, including dumping it out to a CSV. Just added a new web domain, and need to give everyone an email address in it? Twenty minutes to get the right formatting, five minutes for it to run. In Server 2012, you can manage roles and features all from PowerShell on your desktop. Standing up three new web servers and need them to have IIS? Done in one command.

Oh, believe me. I want to learn powershell, and not just for the ~5 seconds per task it could currently save me. It's just that that's the only applicability it has to my T1 help desk job.

I just need to find some job skills I can get approved to learn while not letting anyone know how vastly underutilized and overpaid I am right now. I think they brought me on in anticipation of some big growth in the next month or two, so I'm sure I'll be more busy down the line. But right now it's definitely more than 80% downtime.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

evobatman posted:

Assholes, idiots and morons, that's what I have to deal with.

All desktops of all models that are brought in and connected in a single specific one of our dozens of video rooms fail to boot. All desktops inside and outside all our other video rooms work perfectly fine.

"We must test more desktops in this room! What are the capabilities of the desktops used in this room? Can you try a few more desktops in this room?"

These are the questions I get AFTER I point out that "Hey, maybe you fuckers should take a look at the video conference equipment in this room?"

This is a case that has taken WEEKS because nobody will admit that the video equipment might be faulty.

And I just had to repeat this again because :supaburn: WE MUST TRY MORE COMPUTERS! THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE COMPUTERS :supaburn:

The problem isn't that I have to explain the basic logic of troubleshooting or even pointing out what the problem is or isn't, it's that I have to repeat myself to people in more senior position over and over and over again without being heard - them being the ones coming to me to ask about this!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

And I just had to repeat this again because :supaburn: WE MUST TRY MORE COMPUTERS! THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE COMPUTERS :supaburn:

The problem isn't that I have to explain the basic logic of troubleshooting or even pointing out what the problem is or isn't, it's that I have to repeat myself to people in more senior position over and over and over again without being heard - them being the ones coming to me to ask about this!

Have you raised the possibility that the room is haunted? :ghost:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

stubblyhead posted:

Have you raised the possibility that the room is haunted? :ghost:

All video conference room equipment is (1) overpriced (2) haunted.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

All video conference room equipment is (1) overpriced (2) haunted.

Polycom :argh:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Nintendo Kid posted:

My boss visits two websites about a thousand times a day: MSN and Yahoo! News. He's constantly asking if I saw such and such video on Yahoo! or this article on MSN. It's shameful how much of our web traffic is dedicated to those sites just for him.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
While we're talking about video conferencing, any recommendations for some cheap-midrange video/audio equipment that can be used via USB or something for Lync (SKYPE FOR BUSINESS) and GoToMeeting?

I am not an A/V guy, so I'm not even sure where to start.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Logitech Conference Cam I guess, if that was what you were asking. It's nowhere near as good as a £6k unit but you can have 12 of them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Also, it's the same case for Azure too.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, believe me. I want to learn powershell, and not just for the ~5 seconds per task it could currently save me. It's just that that's the only applicability it has to my T1 help desk job.

I just need to find some job skills I can get approved to learn while not letting anyone know how vastly underutilized and overpaid I am right now. I think they brought me on in anticipation of some big growth in the next month or two, so I'm sure I'll be more busy down the line. But right now it's definitely more than 80% downtime.

Are you sufficiently overpaid to pick up a $100/mo CBTNuggets subscription? Not sure if your office is headphones friendly or if you can afford the sub (I can do neither), but it's a fantastic site to learn a little bit of everything

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So our office bought us a subscription to CBT Nuggets, but it's under this weird token system. Like if we want access to a course, we have to request it, and it uses one of the tokens we purchased. I can't just start watching whatever I want.

Boss doesn't care what we watch and I can get access to anything, but I still feel like it's kind of weird. Especially for when I start working on my CCNA, which has like 4 or 5 associated courses.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uhh, that's kind of weird. We have a sub too and I manage the accounts. I add a user via their email and they are authorized to view any video I give them access to. We have 1 license and I can add infinite number of users, just only one can watch a video at a time.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Uhh, that's kind of weird. We have a sub too and I manage the accounts. I add a user via their email and they are authorized to view any video I give them access to. We have 1 license and I can add infinite number of users, just only one can watch a video at a time.

That's how I thought it'd work. Maybe it's because my supervisor wanted all of us to be able to watch stuff at the same time.

Also we just get access for 6 months to a given course per token. :shrug:

Actually, here we go:

quote:

Access Codes

If you want to give users access to specific content, for specific time periods (such as an academic term), our access codes solution is for you. Tell us your training requirements, and we’ll create codes you can issue to your users. Users simply log in to your branded CBT Nuggets portal, input the code, and begin training.

At my next job, if they don't have an account, I hope I'll be able to swing just getting a personal subscription. Really enjoying it since we got it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A really bad idea came in...

We're moving to a bigger space a few floors down in our current building. My boss asked for my opinion on what to do with our "work space," I asked if he meant our office. Right now me (sysadmin) and my to-be-hired-soon helpdesk guy would share an office, my boss gets his own office. The rest of the company is very loud.

The new floor plan as it is now has boss/helpdesk/me on the floor with the rest of the world. We'd have the "work space" as a hybrid storage room and workbench. Problem is we have no real need for a workbench - we're all VDI and private cloud. There are only two physical servers in use in this office and that number won't be going up with the move.

I tried to present a case that we routinely discuss confidential information and deal with passwords frequently enough that the storage part should be nixed in favor of consolidating our storeroom with the server room (which makes far better sense given that our storeroom is half empty, as is the server room) and the boss wasn't very convinced as to the need for it. Moreover, we have walkups galore when people should be calling in or emailing in tickets, and this is going to further disincentivize those methods.

Moreover, if we have a need for quiet to do our work, doesn't that mean we'll have a constant need for it?

I told him that this was a poorly-conceived idea and it merited these points being brought up to the Powers that Be in our small company, and I could easily quantify the amount of times I'm discussing stuff that the rest of the company shouldn't be hearing to the point that getting up and going into the work room would be a real schlep when we could just as easily be in that room, similar to our current setup.

I know this seems like a goony goon being goony but it's a pretty big step down and a noisy one too, let alone the security risk. The boss said he's looking into noise cancellation but that won't cancel out me talking on the phone with a vendor, and probably not the voices outside.

He said he was going to think about it but I could use some ideas on how to convince him this is a bad idea. Worst-case scenario, it's basically politics in that the C-levels want us on the floor and I might as well wear headphones, but it's a big step down and a big security hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tab8715 posted:

Also, it's the same case for Azure too.

I've had a Powershell book in my Amazon wish list for ages. Time to buy!

EDIT: Hmm it's for V.3. How different is 4 from 3 if you're a beginner looking to learn?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 16, 2015

• Locked thread