Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

mennoknight posted:

My air date is June 18. When an I gonna get my picture with Alex in the old email?

Congrats! A week before the one year anniversary of my air date!

And I got my contestant photo email 2 weeks before my air date, so it should be around then for you as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Alex winning with a non-runaway game this time. At least he pulled it out so we get so see more bitching from the peanut gallery. It's hilarious the amount of hate they have for this guy. Didn't do a true Daily Double this game since he only found one and bet $100 on it, but at least he bet big in Final and got a big payday out of it.

Got one of the Greek letters for Final, epsilon, since it's used as a variable in some higher math applications and proofs, but I couldn't come up with either of the other two.

Now for the Central time Jeopardy test!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 16, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can't loving watch when people like Alex play.

GhostStalker posted:

At least he pulled it out so we get so see more bitching from the peanut gallery. It's hilarious the amount of hate they have for this guy.

I've loathed the Forrest bounce since before Arthur became a thing.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I got 22 for sure right :suicide:

will have to check to see how many guesses I got later

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...Did anybody else have a thing where it looped back around to question one again? Because that totally just happened to me just now.

EDIT:

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 16, 2015

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

...Did anybody else have a thing where it looped back around to question one again? Because that totally just happened to me just now.

Guess I shouldn't have closed it out.

The clues are up on facebook. I think I got 35, so I guess my foot's in the door?

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
I think I got 40 to 42 (can't remember if I had finished typing when time ran out on a couple). I honestly thought I did way worse because most of my wrong answers were clumped together. Changed my answer like a dumbass on a couple and got them wrong as a result. Also got the first movie question wrong because I forgot to read the category.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Wound up with ~38/50. Didn't do too badly with this one.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think in my case it largely depends on which 50 they look at. Honestly, I'm afraid to look up the actual answers.

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
Alex owns. Let him and his ill-fitting shirts reign for a thousand years.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope Alex is the new host

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Arturo Ui posted:

Hopefully if I get picked (I've probably passed the test 5-6 times but never advanced any further) they will have sites closer to Michigan than Boston and KC.

I'm shocked there's one in KC. Especially considering the cities that don't get one. Chicago especially. Not that I'm complaining about Jeopardy auditions being within reasonable driving distance, but still...

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 16, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I respect Alex's game but as a viewer the category-hopping is driving me nuts.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
That was my first test. I'm pretty sure I got 33 or 34, if I counted right. I'm kicking myself, because looking back at the questions on Facebook there were four or five that I should have gotten on top of that but missed due to stupid mistakes on my part. If there's one thing I learned it's to read the categories and not just jump straight to the questions. The Russian Empress/F Scott Fitzgerald question made way more sense in retrospect when I realized it was a Before & After.

It was fun, but hopefully I'll be a little less scattered next year.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

I respect Alex's game but as a viewer the category-hopping is driving me nuts.

Typically it bugs me too, but that's when it's actually 100% random. Alex is actually using a decent strategy always starting with the 800/1600 clues and grabbing the 600/1200 or 1000/2000 next. That way by the time they get to the first two rows he's already built up a big enough lead to where his opponents can't hope to catch him.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

So does anyone know about how many of the online test questions you have to get right to "pass" and qualify for an invitation to auditions?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

So does anyone know about how many of the online test questions you have to get right to "pass" and qualify for an invitation to auditions?

The coordinators release no info about this, but data points suggest that the cutoff is around 35.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

zakharov posted:

The coordinators release no info about this, but data points suggest that the cutoff is around 35.

Yeah, the contestant coordinators keep it secret, but the rumored unofficial cutoff score is 35. If you miss it even by one, you're out, but if you get anywhere above it, you have a chance to be called back for an audition.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Alex continuing to kill it in these games. Surprised he didn't get Final, that was an instaget for me and I wanted to see what variation of Qaddafi he would put down. Two consecutive Daily Doubles in Double Jeopardy, for only $100 each. Broke even at least. That big true DD in regular Jeopardy was close too... Can't wait to see how much further he gets, but I think next week they're doing a couple episodes of Celebrity Jeopardy instead.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Alex is officially annoying me with his bouncing and his shirts that don't fit.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Alright, pacific time zone people, we who are about to test salute you.

e: Somewhere between 38 and 43 out of 50. I'm off my game, last test I hit 47. Oh well, that's good enough if random chance favors me.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 17, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Alright, pacific time zone people, we who are about to test salute you.

e: Somewhere between 38 and 43 out of 50. I'm off my game, last test I hit 47. Oh well, that's good enough if random chance favors me.

That is pretty good. Want that contestant coordinator email I offered above this page?

Also, watch your contractions, bondsman.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Worst case I believe I got 45, best case 48. Completely took a punt on George Elliot and got it right!

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Yikes. I maybe got a 35. Once again, 75% of the questions were ballet, opera, & literature and mostly at maximum difficulty level. I don't know how people can ace tests like this and then completely bite the dust on the televised show.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

zakharov posted:

Alex is officially annoying me with his bouncing and his shirts that don't fit.

I just think it's hilarious he only brought two shirts. That, or three shirts that look and fit exactly the same.

Just took the Pacific time test. I studied theatre in college, but I still blanked of the "rotund character appearing in two of Shakespeare's histories and one comedy." I am properly ashamed.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Dick Jones posted:

Yikes. I maybe got a 35. Once again, 75% of the questions were ballet, opera, & literature and mostly at maximum difficulty level. I don't know how people can ace tests like this and then completely bite the dust on the televised show.

Speaking as someone who did academic team in college and grad school? It's all about the difference between being comfy at home in a relatively low stress environment, and having the gnawing knowledge of people watching you competing with the need to precisely buzz in as fast as humanly possible but after you get a telltale sign saying it's okay to competing with 'actually remembering things'. Your brain's being yanked in multiple directions in competition, and it's really apples and oranges.

GhostStalker- that would be peachy, thanks!

My worst blank was on "This four letter word is both a stringed instrument and a type of fish". I froze, and then panic typed harp. I'm not proud.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Lute, right?

EDIT: bass, I'm a drat idiot. Depending on the wording of the clue mine might work though

Riptor fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 17, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Speaking as someone who did academic team in college and grad school? It's all about the difference between being comfy at home in a relatively low stress environment, and having the gnawing knowledge of people watching you competing with the need to precisely buzz in as fast as humanly possible but after you get a telltale sign saying it's okay to competing with 'actually remembering things'. Your brain's being yanked in multiple directions in competition, and it's really apples and oranges.

GhostStalker- that would be peachy, thanks!

No problem, sending PM now.

And as for your other point, it's exactly that. You need to buzz in at the right time and remember the correct answer under the lights within the limit, which is a lot harder than doing it at home, under a hell of a lot less pressure.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Welp, so the power went out here at 5:00, and didn't come back on until 8:15, so I missed the test.

I have no data on my phone and the power going out meant the garage door was stuck closed, so I had no way to get to the village either. Oh well, I probably wouldn't have done well enough to get an audition anyway.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Dick Jones posted:

If you're talking about tonight's test, there was only one ballet question, no opera questions and a handful of literature questions. I wouldn't exactly call it 75%.

Eh, I guess there was a "musical" question, which I think opera fans would shoot you over counting as opera.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 17, 2015

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
gently caress this, I wish I had taken the Eastern time zone test after looking at the questions.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Hope you all get auditions!

*stares longingly at phone, waiting for the call for another 8 months*

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

So who is the rotund character that's in 3 of Shakespeare's plays? I'm pretty sure I'm going to kick myself when I find out the answer, but I'm coming up with nothing, and it's the one question that isn't easily google-able.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Falstaff

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I'm glad I was busy during the other test nights, tonight's was insanely easy for me but I would have done not nearly as well Tuesday or Wednesday. I really need to start reading up on musicals though, there's always musical categories but I don't know anything about them.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Dr Zaius posted:

gently caress this, I wish I had taken the Eastern time zone test after looking at the questions.

Holy poo poo, I just looked and those clues were solvent-huffingly easy compared to the humanities dissertation that was tonight's test.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the first test I would have done WAY better on than tonight's or yesterday's. Yesterday's I'm pretty sure I would have scored about 10, whereas I had a chance at 35 on the first day.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The tests seemed to progress in difficulty throughout the week. Tuesday was easy enough. I did Wednesday's and did alright. I watched my roommate do tonight's test and I definitely wouldn't have gotten a good score.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Shneak posted:

The tests seemed to progress in difficulty throughout the week. Tuesday was easy enough. I did Wednesday's and did alright. I watched my roommate do tonight's test and I definitely wouldn't have gotten a good score.

I missed last year's test, but I took the it the year before that, and most people agreed that the difficulty increased each night that year. Coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Alex still killing it even without hitting a Daily Double. That Final was easy as poo poo, though. Still, good on him for the 6 game win streak, keep it going!

Celebrity Jeopardy next week, so the Alex haters can shut up about him for a couple of days.