Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Gillingham posted:

Maybe I'm over-worrying then, I guess fabric itself and layering probably makes as much a difference as just having perforation once you get beyond textile/mesh.

Probably. If you have to sit still in traffic alot then definitely try for more perf than I have. Mine are ok, but I'm usually moving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gillingham posted:

Do decent gauntlet gloves that work in socal summers exist? Browsing through revzilla seems to say no, everything seems to be perforated with no carbon anything or really safe but no venting at all

I wear handroids year round, they breathe extremely well.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SaNChEzZ posted:

I wear handroids year round, they breathe extremely well.

How are they holding up for you? I've worn Handroids for about 3k miles and they're starting to yellow a bit (white leathers), but besides that they're doing well.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is there any real difference between Knox' full gauntlet summer gloves other than price? I see a slightly different arrangement of plastic widgets on the back, and maaaybe the roid looks slightly beefier than the mech?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Radbot posted:

How are they holding up for you? I've worn Handroids for about 3k miles and they're starting to yellow a bit (white leathers), but besides that they're doing well.

Still look newish, but obviously worn. No discoloration except in the palms which is to be expected.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is there any real difference between Knox' full gauntlet summer gloves other than price? I see a slightly different arrangement of plastic widgets on the back, and maaaybe the roid looks slightly beefier than the mech?

Main difference is beefier back hand protection, I think thicker/better materials, and those finger guard things that are meant to keep your fingers from bending too far back in a crash.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Held Airstream 2s breath really well and have a decent amount of protection. Not a full gauntlet, but decent wrist and ulna coverage.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Does anyone have any opinions on Alpinestars Alloy gloves?

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009
Anyone have any opinion on Motorcycle Superstore or alternatively Sport Bike Track Gear as online stores? Reviews aren't great but hey... most people that review things do so because they are pissed off in the first place. I'd rather go revzilla but they are out of stock for good :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've never had an issue with either of them, personally.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you're on the west coast, superstore delivers fast.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've never had any problems with motorcycle superstore.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Lynza posted:

My god... the stories are true! The Sasquatch is real!

Sorry! Not helping.

Man, dude, I don't know. That is a really big size. Do you know what your Euro size is? It's possible you might be able to find some Sidi, Dainese, etc. that would fit. Maybe something in a slightly smaller size that runs big? Are your feet wide, too, or just long? Although I would highly recommend giving RevZilla a call. Their salespeople are generally top notch and should be able to point you in the right direction.

I think it's a euro 55. I've bought a few things from Revzilla, that's a good idea to give them a call, I'll do that. I've been told that there is some possibility of getting something custom made, but I can't imagine what the cost will be. I think I'm gonna end up buying a high ankle work boot and go with that.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Goddamn, and I thought 14 was enough to get me laughed out of every shoe store in town

Please post a picture riding a grom

The BRC in May should be amusing enough, I'm 6'6" with these feet, those little Honda Rebels or whatever tiny rear end bike they toss me on will be awesome.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ninmeister posted:

The BRC in May should be amusing enough, I'm 6'6" with these feet, those little Honda Rebels or whatever tiny rear end bike they toss me on will be awesome.

I was gonna say, some decent leather work boots might honestly be your best bet. Try looking at ATV or off road boot styles, I got lucky and found a pair of Fly Maverick ATV boots that fit my 14 for a hundred bucks. That style of boot seems much more accurate for sizing than everything else I tried on at iron pony, which ran at least a size or two down.

You might get lucky, my MSF course had Yamaha TW-200 dual sports that were awesome for us taller guys. Tiny cruisers are just impossible to ride without some serious leg cramps.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Anyone have an experience with those Vanson textile mesh jacket things?

It's all this coarse rear end mesh and armor. http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-Vent_Max_4_Star-631.aspx

I like the idea for something to wear on days when it is REALLY hot.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was gonna say, some decent leather work boots might honestly be your best bet. Try looking at ATV or off road boot styles, I got lucky and found a pair of Fly Maverick ATV boots that fit my 14 for a hundred bucks. That style of boot seems much more accurate for sizing than everything else I tried on at iron pony, which ran at least a size or two down.

You might get lucky, my MSF course had Yamaha TW-200 dual sports that were awesome for us taller guys. Tiny cruisers are just impossible to ride without some serious leg cramps.

I rode a Suzuki DR250 at mine. It was loving awesome and made all the drills a cinch.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm pretty sure I rode a tw200 at my msf too. They had 2 TW200 and 8 rebels, lol. At 6'6 automatically got the tw200.

Boots at those sizes are a pain. I wear 15 and got some sidi and they fit fine in length but my ankle was nowhere near big enough for it. I returned the boots and got some red wings instead, and they've saved me a couple times.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My cheepo overpants have crap knee protection. Would these be ok for everyday riding?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fox-racing-titan-race-kneeshin-guards

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If AGV helmets tend to fit me really well in terms of oval-ness, does anyone know what other helmets to try (preferably sub 200)?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Dutymode posted:

My cheepo overpants have crap knee protection. Would these be ok for everyday riding?

I've got some Taichi similar to those, no hard shell, but the same idea. I love mine. They're comfortable. I can wear them all day and they stay in place and work good.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I Gotta replace my helmet (a Seven Zero Seven Backlash) because one of my cats pushed it off the chair it was sitting on. Don't see any damage, but should probably replace it.

I'd like some suggestions, though. I have rather severe claustrophobia, so i need something that doesn't feel claustrophobic. Trying helmets out if they are claustrophobic at all takes one hell of a emotional toll, hence asking for some suggestions to try out.

I'd also like to try and find something quieter than the helmet I currently have. I always wear hearing protection, but on longer rides, the one I have now is still pretty loud, even with -25NRR hearing protection in.

So suggestions, in order of importance:

1) Not clausterphobic, decent for hot texas summers
2) reasonably quiet
3) under $350

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Your helmet is fine. NBD if it's dropped without a head actually inside it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nitrogen posted:

I Gotta replace my helmet (a Seven Zero Seven Backlash) because one of my cats pushed it off the chair it was sitting on. Don't see any damage, but should probably replace it.

I'd like some suggestions, though. I have rather severe claustrophobia, so i need something that doesn't feel claustrophobic. Trying helmets out if they are claustrophobic at all takes one hell of a emotional toll, hence asking for some suggestions to try out.

I'd also like to try and find something quieter than the helmet I currently have. I always wear hearing protection, but on longer rides, the one I have now is still pretty loud, even with -25NRR hearing protection in.

2) reasonably quiet
3) under $350

Bump to 30-32NNR at the very least - Moldex makes some that are NRR33, which is totally worth going for.

There's also Howard Leight earplugs - buy some samplers and try them out.

Seconding that your helmet is totally fine if it dropped with no head in it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I usually hate the foamy ones because they are much harder to put into my ears (I have weirdly shaped ear canals) but I have a pack of them that I will try next time I go on a longer ride.

Nice to know I don't have to replace my helmet then, i've had it for less than a year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nitrogen posted:

2) reasonably quiet
3) under $350

I had the same helmet as you do before switching to an Icon Airmada. I don't know what you mean by "claustrophobic". The Airmada is a more race oriented helmet, so the fit is incredibly snug and the first few times you pull the helmet on will probably trigger flashbacks to your birth. If that's a problem for you then the helmet is out. If by "claustrophobic" you mean you want a good viewport and to have peripheral vision, then this is the helmet for you. I'm absolutely in love with my field of view. Airflow is excellent, better than the backlash, and noise levels are comparable for me, though they might not be for you.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Snug is fine, but I must have excellent peripheral vision. If I see "helmet" in the side of my vision, then it's not going to work. (the cheaper BILT helmets gave me a panic attack at cycle gear when I tried them on, to give you an example.)

As I said before, nice to know that I don't NEED a new helmet now, but if I see one of these I might need to try it on. it'd be nice to have something a bit quieter: The only downside I keep reading about the backlash is the fact that it's louder.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
There are some Nolans that have enormous view areas. That might be something to take a look at, once you do actually need to replace your helmet.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

I have a pair of these. I use em offroad, and for commuter duty. they'll be fine.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nitrogen posted:

Snug is fine, but I must have excellent peripheral vision. If I see "helmet" in the side of my vision, then it's not going to work. (the cheaper BILT helmets gave me a panic attack at cycle gear when I tried them on, to give you an example.)

Try the Airmada then. It is only the second helmet I've ridden with, but I probably tried 20 or 30 before buying the Airmada, and I am still constantly amazed by how great my peripherals are.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah you gotta get a real bad helmet (Biltwell?) to have peripheral vision issues. They're all wide as hell by design. Good anecdote: I used to ride most of the time with a full face clear visor and sunglasses on under them. At some point I tried getting a tinted visor and ditching the sunglasses. I was totally blown away by how much more I could see. (Or maybe just felt like I could see, but either way, the sensation was much less claustrophobic and much more comfortable) The sunglasses were restricting WAY more than the helmet ever did.

As for up/down visibility, someone mentioned the Nolan, there's also a cheapo copy of that Nolan made by Fly now.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lynza posted:

There are some Nolans that have enormous view areas. That might be something to take a look at, once you do actually need to replace your helmet.

Yep, pimping my N104 again. The peripheral (side-to-side) is a bit better than my old HJC, but the up-and-down visibility is massively better. It's probably more just psychological than anything, but I appreciate the extra visibility.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Just bought a new Z1R Helmet for this season. The XL I ordered doesn't fit so I bought some 2XL cheekpads.

My head is growing guys. Pretty soon I will need supports to hold it up :(

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
But you'll be able to mentally control everything around you!

Silver linings, man.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What brands besides Rev'it and Dainese are good for skinny guys? I'm looking to get a mesh jacket, preferably an ADV looking 3/4 length one.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alright, so a little while ago I had a AGV K3 Gothic on order of sorts. When I went to pick it up I realized that it was seriously way too small (it was a small) while the medium was gigantic. So, I was lucky to get it refunded. But now I went out and bought all my riding gear including a proper helmet. Spent about two hours at the store just testing on a variety of gear and speaking with the sales reps to make sure everything fit as it should (this will be my first year ever riding). We went through a shitload of helmets until we finally found on that fit my head perfectly. Snug all over but secure and firm. No pressure points, no pain, totally stable.

It's a Bell RS-1. I'm quite happy with it. The only issue now that I have this helmet home and I've been putting it on lately is that the chin strap seems to not be that great. Maybe it's just my inexperience doing it the strap up (there seems to be a lot of excess strap when I do it up) but it seems to put some pressure on my adam's apple. Is this normal? Am I maybe doing it up too tightly? This is literally my only issue with this helmet so I'm hoping it's not too big a deal and is easily adjustable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Can you take a picture? It shouldn't be putting pressure on your Adam's apple - should be under your jaw more than around your neck.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I ordered a Dainese Mike jacket from MotardInn.com on Sunday and it shipped from Spain and arrived today. It also only cost $360 shipped, versus $530 from Revzilla. I'd highly recommend checking them out as they have great prices on some European gear, provided they have your size.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Z3n posted:

Can you take a picture? It shouldn't be putting pressure on your Adam's apple - should be under your jaw more than around your neck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

I ordered a Dainese Mike jacket from MotardInn.com on Sunday and it shipped from Spain and arrived today. It also only cost $360 shipped, versus $530 from Revzilla. I'd highly recommend checking them out as they have great prices on some European gear, provided they have your size.

Is your name Mike though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That seems reasonable enough - I'd probably just keep the strap a shade looser.