Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Tyma posted:

Hello thread!

I haven't dabbled in Jailbreaking since IOS 7, but I'm on the verge of finally getting an iPad, and I can't for the life of me find any information on which firmware versions the UK iPad Air 2 actually ships with.

If I grab one today, is it likely to be jailbreak-able out of the box, or should I be sensible and patient, and not impulse-buy an iPad until some progress is made on 8.3? ^^;

If you can check the serial number before you buy it, it's possible to decode the serial number and figure out the manufacturing date. Just cross reference that with the iOS version releases to be sure it came with 8.1.2. I did this last week but I wasn't buying through apple. They might have less old stock around so a reseller might be a better bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

spongeworthy posted:

Super Recorder is fantastic.

This awesome, and the volume amplifier that comes with it is tits!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
What would be a good tweak that would let me show a to-do list on the lock screen? I use Things, and I like their widget, but it would be awesome if I could have it just on my lock screen there to remind me every time I check my phone. Is there any widget that would work like that, or something I could fool around with to do that? What is recommended?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

cryptoclastic posted:

What would be a good tweak that would let me show a to-do list on the lock screen? I use Things, and I like their widget, but it would be awesome if I could have it just on my lock screen there to remind me every time I check my phone. Is there any widget that would work like that, or something I could fool around with to do that? What is recommended?

Check out "Reminders for Lockscreen" - I use the same author's "Calendar for Lockscreen" and I love it. I'm sure the Reminder one is just as polished.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

spongeworthy posted:

Check out "Reminders for Lockscreen" - I use the same author's "Calendar for Lockscreen" and I love it. I'm sure the Reminder one is just as polished.

Impulse bought it. I love it. Thank you!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

spongeworthy posted:

This is exactly what I needed to replace the hole left by LockInfo after it pissed me off for the last time.

Great post.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Bucket Joneses posted:

This is exactly what I needed to replace the hole left by LockInfo after it pissed me off for the last time.

Great post.

What did LockInfo do to you?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bummey posted:

What did LockInfo do to you?

Wouldn't clear notifications, kept getting confused by album art for some reason, would go away and not come back if I sent a QC message with bitesms... Other things.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I want to upgrade from jailbroken 8.1.2 to the latest. I assume it's just a matter of plugging into iTunes and upgrading?

Years ago when I used to jailbreak regularly, even upgrading the latest OS, some "tweaks" would stick around but be partially functional or straight up broken. Should I uninstall any tweaks before trying to upgrade?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
At that point, why wouldn't you do a full backup, then erase and restore?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I want to upgrade from jailbroken 8.1.2 to the latest. I assume it's just a matter of plugging into iTunes and upgrading?

Years ago when I used to jailbreak regularly, even upgrading the latest OS, some "tweaks" would stick around but be partially functional or straight up broken. Should I uninstall any tweaks before trying to upgrade?

To be clear, you want to lose your jailbreak? Just restore in that case.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I want to lose my jailbreak and make sure there aren't any tweaks left over to mess with anything.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

dexter6 posted:

I want to lose my jailbreak and make sure there aren't any tweaks left over to mess with anything.

Run an full backup on your device, then a restore to a fresh 8.3 or whatever is the newest iOS now, then "revert" to the backup you created.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Run an full backup on your device, then a restore to a fresh 8.3 or whatever is the newest iOS now, then "revert" to the backup you created.

Jailbreak stuff can come over from a backup. It won't be 100% clean

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Yep don't restore, use icloud to get your data back

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The gently caress is bitesms

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

The gently caress is bitesms

Gone. Unless you're < ios 8

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Is there no way to disable "shake to undo" on ios 8? I looked all through settings and can't find it. Found one on cydia but only works on ios 6.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What's the best way to download older versions of app store apps? Would like an older version of facebook

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That's a tricky one.

1. Do you have a Time Machine backup? You can find the stored version of Facebook.ipa on your computer and see if you have any previous versions backed up.

2. Piracy. But I doubt pirates bother to crack and upload apps like Facebook?

3. Certain old versions of apps can be downloaded if you have an iDevice running an old IOS version. It would probably have to be pretty old though.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What's the best way to download older versions of app store apps? Would like an older version of facebook

Can only answer as far as Facebook but there's a tweak called Facebook++ that will let you downgrade the Facebook app to back when messenger was built into it. There's a version of it on BigBoss that doesn't automatically downgrade due to repo rules or you can add the dev's repo: beta.unlimapps.com and the version on there will automatically downgrade the FB app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That's all I need I'll try that when I get home thanks!

Edit - works great. Gotta pay $2 to remove ads though. Which is fine but I have to make some fb++ account?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 17, 2015

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

~Coxy posted:

2. Piracy. But I doubt pirates bother to crack and upload apps like Facebook?

Free apps are cracked and filezed all the time. You can get older versions of facebook, no problem. Theoretically.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
whats the deal with this?

http://torrentfreak.com/popcorn-time-releases-jailbreak-free-ios-app-150407/

there is no mention that the new firmware can't do this. how do they get apps on to an iphone without a jailbreak? some sort of semi jailbreak? would they have had to have burned an unknown exploit since it apparently works on even the new firmware?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Denim Dude posted:

whats the deal with this?

http://torrentfreak.com/popcorn-time-releases-jailbreak-free-ios-app-150407/

there is no mention that the new firmware can't do this. how do they get apps on to an iphone without a jailbreak? some sort of semi jailbreak? would they have had to have burned an unknown exploit since it apparently works on even the new firmware?

Basically enterprise certificates, and it asks you to turn off wifi/data while installing so Apple can't revoke it I think.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kazy posted:

Basically enterprise certificates, and it asks you to turn off wifi/data while installing so Apple can't revoke it I think.

The certificate is already revoked. Probably even was from day one. It sounds like iOS only checks Apple's revocation blacklist once (at install time), and if it fails to get an answer because the network is unavailable, it permits the app to be installed.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there a way to get the new multiracial emoji set on a jailbroken <8.3 device?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If I switch carriers and keep my number and everything, do I need to restore? I'm already unlocked.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 7, 2015

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Bouchacha posted:

If I switch carriers and keep my number and everything, do I need to restore? I'm already unlocked.

no

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Sweet!

Is there any jailbreak app which disables volume buttons? My friend's volume icon is persistently up as a result.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Bouchacha posted:

Sweet!

Is there any jailbreak app which disables volume buttons? My friend's volume icon is persistently up as a result.

Possibly something you can do with Activator?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Sunblood posted:

Possibly something you can do with Activator?

Just set press/hold volume up to "do nothing" or "play continuous fart noises".

Since bitesms is never coming back, is there a good tweak to restore some of its useful features to messages? Quick reply exists in ios8 (shittily), but id love to have quick compose and or passcode lock back in messages.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Somebody gave me their old iphone 4 but they tell me it's locked in with Rogers and I have pay them $50 to unlock. Can I use jailbreak to unlock it so I can go with a different carrier?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

drowningidiot posted:

Somebody gave me their old iphone 4 but they tell me it's locked in with Rogers and I have pay them $50 to unlock. Can I use jailbreak to unlock it so I can go with a different carrier?

Only if modem firmware is the original version, I think 1.59.00 or something like that.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

Ezrem posted:

Only if modem firmware is the original version, I think 1.59.00 or something like that.

It's 04.12.09. So I'm out of options?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

drowningidiot posted:

It's 04.12.09. So I'm out of options?

Other than the $50 one, pretty sure that's true.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

$50 doesn't sound too expensive considering some of the third party ones charge over $100.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
Jailbroke a phone for a friend today and realized my go to site, jailbreakmatrix, is a wasteland now. Not even links to firmware downloads past 7.1.2. I had to make due with some random site from a google search so whats the hot new site these days?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Filtering through shady links and Chinese jailbreaks until enough people do it and confirm its legit on reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
http://jailbrea.kr used to be my go-to, but that's stopped being updated as well. The sidebar on the jailbreak reddit is basically the best place to check now.

Edit: This site looks like a good alternative also: https://ipsw.me

Cawd Rud fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 22, 2015

• Locked thread