Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

As much as I love some of the alpha kids, their inclusion contributed to a lot of snarl in Homestuck. Act 5 dragged on setting up their session, and Act 6 got bloated as hell because we had to now alternate between the original characters while also introducing and developing these four new kids.

I think in one of his Q&As Hussie mentioned the alpha kids being thought up midway through the early acts, and it definitely shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I honestly wish Jane had flat out died when her mailbox exploded.

That plus completely excising the Dirk/Jake quasi-romance, along with never even making a single loving alpha troll, would probably have gotten rid of, I dunno, 3000 pages? Maybe even more?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Honestly everything in Act 6 is kinda pointless now since John retconned it all. I mean, some poo poo would have happened the same, but it's still annoying to see literal years of updates rendered moot or at least questionable.

I'm waiting on Intermission 5 before really judging it, but that's definitely a thing that bugs me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The most chilling possibility is that thanks to the retcon, penis ouija never happened.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Honestly everything in Act 6 is kinda pointless now since John retconned it all. I mean, some poo poo would have happened the same, but it's still annoying to see literal years of updates rendered moot or at least questionable.

I'm waiting on Intermission 5 before really judging it, but that's definitely a thing that bugs me.

John did not retcon much of act 6, since he was only able to intentionally return to situations that Terezi remembered, and she was not there for most of act 6. Everything up to the start of 6.6 was virtually untouched except for intermissions.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i think the big question there is one john even raised, which is whether ghost vriska still exists

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

GunnerJ posted:

The most chilling possibility is that thanks to the retcon, penis ouija never happened.

I'd like to think that any universe where Karkat and Dave meet up will inevitably have penis ouija in it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GeneX posted:

I honestly wish Jane had flat out died when her mailbox exploded.

I actually like Jane, but other than becoming an incredibly boring evil robot she doesn't really get to do anything.

Just look at the claymation fight with Caliborn: Jake did the hope-splosion, Dirk sealed his soul away, Roxy banished the evil puppet into the void, and Jane just kind of stood there after getting her rear end kicked.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

AriadneThread posted:

i think the big question there is one john even raised, which is whether ghost vriska still exists

I don't think so.

So far, of the two Thieves we've seen, Vriska and Meenah, they have not had any additional ghosts unlike everyone else. It is like Thieves don't get dead-alternate-selves.

Based on this we could possibly infer that Thieves get to... steal? the experiences of their dead-Beta selves.

So there is a possibility that new-Alpha Vriska has the memories and experiences of old-Alpha Vriska.

life_source fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 16, 2015

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

And now, some amusing update reactions from Tumblr:

quote:

Just gonna get this out of the way. You know these three characters trapped in the puppet together? They're an adoptive Father, his Son, and a Swole Ghost. It's a Holy Trinity.

quote:

okay but out of all the things homosuck cleared up now I just want to know

how much of the Handmaid’s suffering is the direct result of Equius’ fixation on Aradia

quote:

IT’S NEPETA

NEPETA IS THE ANSWER

As a god tier Rogue of Heart, she could steal the beta kids’ souls back, as well as rescue her meowrail

Nepetaquest 2015: Commence.

quote:

quote:

So.

If Lord English is Caliborn, AR (Dirk), Equius, and Gamzee, and three of these characters are known for their ability to rap…

And we’ve got all this stuff about how Dave thinks he’s destined to be the one to take LE down…

The most important rap battle in the history of Paradox Space.

THIS IS ENGLISH. BACK TOGETHER. AND I’M NEVER GOING DOWN AT THE HANDS OF THE LIKES OF YOU. AND YOUR DEFEAT IS CERTAIN. AND SEVERAL PARTS OF ME ARE SAYING GO GET HIM.

THE FOUR OF US AIN’T GONNA FOLLOW YOUR RULES. COME AT ME WITHOUT ANY OF YOUR FANCY TOOLS. LET’S GO YOU USELESS BORE. LET’S GO JUST ONE ON FOUR.

quote:

You know, with the new update introducing claymation, we now know that the reason it took so long was because there was a medium he had yet to apply.

And it made me wonder, what if this is a new trend for Homestuck?

In six months, Andrew Hussie releases the next panels as beautiful watercolors.

A year from then, Andrew Hussie mails a lovingly hand-drawn animated flipbook to every Homestuck reader.

Three years pass. Andrew Hussie has an opening at an art gallery in downtown Manhattan, where he exhibits abstract mixed media sculptures and calls the whole show “Act Six.”

Another Five. Andrew Hussie tours the world with his ballet company. The man who plays Dave Strider is America’s new sweetheart.

After your kids have all left for college, you wake in the middle of the night. There is a noise. You walk downstairs, a baseball bat in your hands in case of an intruder. You turn on the lights. Andrew Hussie stands in your living room, surrounded by empty paint cans, replacing your curtains. What is this? you ask. The update, he says.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Lord English is part Equius? Please let this be foreshadowing somehow:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

John did not retcon much of act 6, since he was only able to intentionally return to situations that Terezi remembered, and she was not there for most of act 6. Everything up to the start of 6.6 was virtually untouched except for intermissions.
John is dead for a good chunk of the trip to the new session, Vriska is alive on the entire trip, and presumably Gamzee is not causing Terezi mental anguish which would change of lot of interactions on the meteor. Oh, and Roxy dies at some point because of the Nix deal. And EVERYTHING that happens once the kids land in session 2 is pretty much undone since Vriska disables Jade and Jane from the start.

While a lot of major plot beats would likely still happen, you can't say "oh, everything happened the same way" when a major character is added to one setting and one is removed from the other (two if you count Davesprite). Like I said, we haven't really seen how the post retcon timeline works now, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

And EVERYTHING that happens once the kids land in session 2 is pretty much undone

So, very little of consequence then.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Two things:

First of all, check it. There's a lot of foreshadowing that happened here right under our noses, including the knowledge that the cueball is LE's only weakness, that he would die surrounded by horses as he was birthed, and that somehow Jack figures into everything.

Second of all, I'm still not totally sold that everything that got retjohnned is going to stay retjohnned at this point. Consider Hussie's conversation with Caliborn about Trickster Mode, how undoing mistakes robs people of necessary growth and experience, even if those experiences are traumatic. Think of what Terezi had to go through as the result of her decision to kill Vriska, and the experience of dating and subsequently being dumped by Dave after hate-dating Gamzee, which she also tries to prevent in the other things she has John do. She no longer experiences these trials, and now no longer has to live with the guilt of killing what was once her best friend. That is essentially everything Hussie (the character) stated is wrong with Caliborn's character in the first place, and I can't see Hussie (the author) pulling a 180 on that for Terezi.

I think that at some point, it's going to become clear that John needs to undo at least some of the changes that he did, much like he undid his interruption of Dave and Jade as she threatened the mayor. The implications of this is that John's power, while seeming like a deus ex machina to the extreme, will ultimately prove to be detrimental to the larger goals, and thus another solution will need to be found.

Just my thoughts.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

We're pretty much in the same place except for a few changes. John, Roxy, and Davesprite are dead. Everyone else is still alive. Jade and Jane are being kept asleep and Jane's tiaratop, if the kids have a lick of sense between them, has been destroyed. Terezi is blind and happy, Rose is not a drunk, and Vriska is alive. Basically everything has been shaken up to improve the heroes' chances.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

simply amazing

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ariong posted:

We're pretty much in the same place except for a few changes. John, Roxy, and Davesprite are dead. Everyone else is still alive. Jade and Jane are being kept asleep and Jane's tiaratop, if the kids have a lick of sense between them, has been destroyed. Terezi is blind and happy, Rose is not a drunk, and Vriska is alive. Basically everything has been shaken up to improve the heroes' chances.

you didn't actually read plom's post did you

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It also just occurred to me that "the most important character in Homestuck" page really was in reference to the Cal that Gamzee was holding since it is not only LE but several other characters combined into one terrifying puppet creature.

Specifically, it shows the right side of Gamzee (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005119).

Which, is also, coincidentally, the side that is :o( when he is cut in half.

( Also, the mirthful messiahs were always both him :o) )

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Second of all, I'm still not totally sold that everything that got retjohnned is going to stay retjohnned at this point. Consider Hussie's conversation with Caliborn about Trickster Mode, how undoing mistakes robs people of necessary growth and experience, even if those experiences are traumatic. Think of what Terezi had to go through as the result of her decision to kill Vriska, and the experience of dating and subsequently being dumped by Dave after hate-dating Gamzee, which she also tries to prevent in the other things she has John do. She no longer experiences these trials, and now no longer has to live with the guilt of killing what was once her best friend. That is essentially everything Hussie (the character) stated is wrong with Caliborn's character in the first place, and I can't see Hussie (the author) pulling a 180 on that for Terezi.

That wasn't "growth" that Terezi experienced. It was a VH1 Behind the Music spiral of red sugar drinks and bad clown relationships, culminating in a tearful murderous mental breakdown. The only growth that occurred was at the last moment, as she was about to drop dead, when she realized that she could in fact do something and that she was not the lovely failure she imagined herself to be. Which led to the outcome you just described: all of the above never happening.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Adversity doesn't automatically build character.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Also, John screwing around with Dave was just that - him screwing around without really knowing what he was doing. The big retcon was him acting on Terezi's, the Seer of Mind, input.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mazerunner posted:

you didn't actually read plom's post did you

It wasn't meant to be a response to Plom Bar, I didn't actually see their post until after I made mine.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

That's a reference I didn't expect to pop up 10 years later.

edit: Okay, 5.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

Two things:

First of all, check it.

That whole sequence was so funny.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

That wasn't "growth" that Terezi experienced. It was a VH1 Behind the Music spiral of red sugar drinks and bad clown relationships, culminating in a tearful murderous mental breakdown. The only growth that occurred was at the last moment, as she was about to drop dead, when she realized that she could in fact do something and that she was not the lovely failure she imagined herself to be. Which led to the outcome you just described: all of the above never happening.

The only reason growth didn't come out of it is because it never had the chance to. The act of tying her scarf around her eyes, I suspect, was symbolic of the growth that follows the catharsis of hitting one's lowest point. But then Aranea ruined everything by stealing the Ring of Life, an act which both she and Meenah acknowledge as "not supposed to happen".

On that note, every time a deviation from the "correct" sequence of events occurs, the characters all feel it and acknowledge it in some way, first seen when John was killed by his denizen, and notably seen when John interrupted Dave and Jade, and when John stopped Terezi from killing Vriska.

GeneX posted:

Adversity doesn't automatically build character.

Sure it does. Not always positively, but all of us are the sum total of our successes and failures, each of which played a pivotal role in shaping how we approach and react to situations.

Also, John screwing around with Dave was just that - him screwing around without really knowing what he was doing. The big retcon was him acting on Terezi's, the Seer of Mind, input.

Right. She had him write the message "you don't need him", which could have referred to Karkat, Dave, or Gamzee. Yes, John supplemented his own addenda, but he was prompted to do that by the initial instruction.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Plom Bar posted:

Two things:

First of all, check it. There's a lot of foreshadowing that happened here right under our noses, including the knowledge that the cueball is LE's only weakness, that he would die surrounded by horses as he was birthed, and that somehow Jack figures into everything.

I think that at some point, it's going to become clear that John needs to undo at least some of the changes that he did, much like he undid his interruption of Dave and Jade as she threatened the mayor. The implications of this is that John's power, while seeming like a deus ex machina to the extreme, will ultimately prove to be detrimental to the larger goals, and thus another solution will need to be found.

Just my thoughts.
The loss of Terezi's trials was made up for the strange path she sent John through that showed her in the past that there were other, worthwhile solutions besides heads/scratch, yes/no, kill/let everyone die.

Trickster Mode ended with the growth and experience the Alpha kids went through just before hitting God Tier as they were challenged to deal with their issues, since their relationships seemed stagnant up to that time.

John may need to undo some of his changes, but Terezi and others will find other trials to overcome, bolstered by strengths they didn't know they had thanks to John's meddling, which was to save Terezi as much as her scourge sister.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Right. She had him write the message "you don't need him", which could have referred to Karkat, Dave, or Gamzee. Yes, John supplemented his own addenda, but he was prompted to do that by the initial instruction.

Yes, and as such its enormously distinct from previous instances of the story getting hosed with. When Terezi killed John, she was doing it for a laugh to see if she could. When John interrupted Dave and Jade, he was ineffectually dorking around with his new powers. The big retcon, by comparison, is a result of Terezi living up to her role as the Seer of Mind, finding a way to guide people carefully between opportunities for failure based on her ability to extrapolate the outcomes of their actions. She discards her doubts about her abilities, embraces her role, and empowers someone to fix the situation. This is now the "correct" sequence of events.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Yes, and as such its enormously distinct from previous instances of the story getting hosed with. When Terezi killed John, she was doing it for a laugh to see if she could. When John interrupted Dave and Jade, he was ineffectually dorking around with his new powers. The big retcon, by comparison, is a result of Terezi living up to her role as the Seer of Mind, finding a way to guide people carefully between opportunities for failure based on her ability to extrapolate the outcomes of their actions. She discards her doubts about her abilities, embraces her role, and empowers someone to fix the situation. This is now the "correct" sequence of events.

But her version of "fixing the situation" is undoing what she perceives to be her mistake, rather than owning up to having made the mistake and accepting its consequences. The only change necessary to avoid the clusterfuck that was Game Over was to prevent Aranea from getting the Ring of Life. Undoing Vriska's death, while seeming to be advantageous NOW, I think will ultimately prove to be detrimental, and thus needing to be undone.

I mean, juxtaposing Vriska's resurrection with her budding romance with Meenah had to have been done with intention, to clue us in that maybe what Terezi thinks is best isn't what's actually best for Vriska, and by extension, everyone else.

Also, it gives an out for the incredible deus ex machina that is John's retcon powers, which most seem to agree would not be a satisfying end.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The real problem with the retcon plan being a scheme by Terezi to help herself grow up a bit is that it ended not with Terezi figuring out another way of handling Vriska, but with John just showing up and punching her.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

The real problem with the retcon plan being a scheme by Terezi to help herself grow up a bit is that it ended not with Terezi figuring out another way of handling Vriska, but with John just showing up and punching her.

Subtlety

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Blackheart posted:

That whole sequence was so funny.

I still giggle at "Who am I kidding, magic is fake as poo poo"

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

GunnerJ posted:

except that was hilarious so I'm 100% ok with how it turned out.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Plom Bar posted:

But her version of "fixing the situation" is undoing what she perceives to be her mistake, rather than owning up to having made the mistake and accepting its consequences. The only change necessary to avoid the clusterfuck that was Game Over was to prevent Aranea from getting the Ring of Life. Undoing Vriska's death, while seeming to be advantageous NOW, I think will ultimately prove to be detrimental, and thus needing to be undone.

I mean, juxtaposing Vriska's resurrection with her budding romance with Meenah had to have been done with intention, to clue us in that maybe what Terezi thinks is best isn't what's actually best for Vriska, and by extension, everyone else.

Also, it gives an out for the incredible deus ex machina that is John's retcon powers, which most seem to agree would not be a satisfying end.
I disagree that the only necessary change would be to prevent Aranea from getting the Ring of Life. The kids were unable or unwilling to directly deal with Jane and Jade even before bringing their powers into the picture, not to mention the Batterwitch herself-a problem close to what Terezi faced when dealing with Vriska herself.

In fact, learning from beta/retconned versions of themselves are how we were able to get to this point!

Beta John Ghost told Vriska Ghost his choice was a necessary thing-where was the personal growth Alpha John got from that?
Davesprite went back in time to undo prototyping Cal. Alpha Dave might have been cheated out of the personal growth he'd get from a doomed session with Jade dead, but he got his own share of experiences.

I'd say Terezi grew more retroactively through Act V than she did in Act VI all the way up to her epiphany before her demise.

You don't have to learn from your mistakes alone.

edit:

GunnerJ posted:

Terezi lead herself and John up to that point. Terezi picked up her fingerprints from the bread trail she had John leave, much like the money she had Dave send them. The conductor doesn't personally play all the instruments.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 16, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Incidentally I really hope that Vriska isn't the leader that's been getting hinted at. Because while I am Vriskapologist Prime, even I can't think of a way to make that not be bullshit. She's not leadership material.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

except that was hilarious so I'm 100% ok with how it turned out.

Sure. It makes for a great gag but a poor retroactive self-improvement plan based on overcoming one's most damaging mistake. I'm not saying one is necessarily preferable to the other.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Bell_ posted:

I disagree that the only necessary change would be to prevent Aranea from getting the Ring of Life. The kids were unable or unwilling to directly deal with Jane and Jade even before bringing their powers into the picture, not to mention the Batterwitch herself-a problem close to what Terezi faced when dealing with Vriska herself.

Aranea's involvement is what fast-forwarded the whole scenario to its bloody end. Without an alive Aranea, Jake doesn't go Further Beyond, doesn't attract everyone to LOFAF, doesn't kill Jade, doesn't spur Dave to protect Jade's body from the Becs, and everyone lives to fight another day.

Martini Mice-Cream
Feb 17, 2011

Incidentally I really hope that Vriska isn't the leader that's been getting hinted at. Because while I am Vriskapologist Prime, even I can't think of a way to make that not be bullshit. She's not leadership material.

I don't know, I mean she is the Thief of (spot)Light.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Rorus Raz posted:

John is dead for a good chunk of the trip to the new session, Vriska is alive on the entire trip, and presumably Gamzee is not causing Terezi mental anguish which would change of lot of interactions on the meteor. Oh, and Roxy dies at some point because of the Nix deal. And EVERYTHING that happens once the kids land in session 2 is pretty much undone since Vriska disables Jade and Jane from the start.

While a lot of major plot beats would likely still happen, you can't say "oh, everything happened the same way" when a major character is added to one setting and one is removed from the other (two if you count Davesprite). Like I said, we haven't really seen how the post retcon timeline works now, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

We have seen most of the post retcon timeline, including how roxy died, through jade and jane's storytime with Calliope. About the only thing we don't know is the interpersonal relationships of the characters on the meteor now that vriska's in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I don't understand all the talk about the pacing and how Act 6 should never have happened. First of all, there's a lot of story left. It doesn't make sense to say something was a waste of time when we haven't seen the payoff. Hussie is really good at reaching back and making connections.
Complaints about pacing are unfair. We are serial readers. We have had to deal with gaps, pauses, cliffhangers, and artificial barriers to reading forward in the story that disappear when you read it through the archives. Act 5 was super long, maybe as big as the previous four Acts. Act 6 is super long, maybe as big as the past five Acts. But that isn't important. The Act division is meant to guide us and tell us when the focus of the story has changed, but there's no reason for us to expect them to be equal in length or significance. It's the content of the Acts that matter, not where Hussie draws us a curtain and tells us we are moving on.
I think a lot of the reason people have disliked Act 6 has been the serial reading effect. It really has taken a very long time to get through it. Not only is it very long, but it has been full of paiuses and delays. But there's tons of good content in it. There really has been a lot of great stuff in it. Caliborn is gold. Roxy is gold. Condy is gold. I really like Dirk too, and the mystery of figuring out what his personality tells us about Bro and Dave was really good. Jane and Jake are a little less interesting from a character perspective, IMO, but they aren't bad characters.
Act 6 feels like it is dragging because it has been so long in the making, but the plot events have been pretty cool. It's the same thing Hussie has been doing for the whole comic. He sets up some rules and expectations for us about how the story will go, both in terms of the in-universe rules about how things are supposed to work and our own natural expectations about narrative itself, and then he breaks the rules. In the meantime, he develops characters through interpersonal drama and personal quests. Even though the whole "gimmick" of the Alpha kids is stagnation, that hasn't stopped them from becoming characters we care about. Similarly, the Beta kids and trolls have been through a lot. It just doesn't feel like it because our experience with Act 6 has been attenuated compared to earlier acts.
Cascade was a major narrative climax. It was the culmination of the whole action of the first five acts. But as he always does, Hussie showed us that what we thought was a big deal was still just a prelude to the real thing. The significance of Bec Noir being subsumed into an insigificant chase scene is exactly that: the villain we thought was one of the most important forces in the universe is actually a sideshow, a distraction. The Exiles were supposed to rekindle the world, not die like chumps. The reason they died was exactly to show just how badly things are off course and how badly the basic rules of the world of Homestuck are being disturbed by the influence of Lord English. He twists the way narratives should work to serve himself. He steals happy endings from other people. He's a true villain, and his mere presence perturbs the rules of the narrative whether he intends it or not. Even with retcon powers, John and co are having a hard time beating him. Even though they can influence narrative in a similar way, they don't have his depth of malice and self-interest, so they need to do even more. Their personal flaws and strengths both limit what they can do and give them new ways to attack English. Their personalities are weapons, of a sort. It makes sense that through John, they can hone those weapons to their optimal sharpness.
We've seen through the whole comic that the powers of the characters are directly related to their personal growth. It doesn't surprise or upset me that to take their strength to the next level, the heroes need to take full advantage of that fact.