Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the order is no where near as bad as people have made out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yes it is. The Order is incredibly boring and the combat is ball-numbingly mediocre. When your game has Nikola Tesla giving you weapons and the best he can do is a gun that lights gas on fire that you use in like, one level, you hosed up. Where's my arc cannon or steampunk railgun or anything interesting at all other than "handguns, machine guns, rifles"?!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

precision posted:

Yes it is. The Order is incredibly boring and the combat is ball-numbingly mediocre. When your game has Nikola Tesla giving you weapons and the best he can do is a gun that lights gas on fire that you use in like, one level, you hosed up. Where's my arc cannon or steampunk railgun or anything interesting at all other than "handguns, machine guns, rifles"?!

there is literally an arc cannon though?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
See, the game was so boring I forgot it had a gun that shoots lightning in it!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
maybe it helped I had really low expectations going in but ive been enjoying it and the gunplay is really fun and visceral v:shobon:v

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

OTOH i can finally get wild arms 3 for 2 bucks or whatever, Gamestop's PS2 game prices went crazy low before they were liquidated

Yeah some stores are still selling PS2 games for 90% off.

They still have some RPGs because I picked up a bunch a few months ago. I also got Super Bombad Racing because it was only a dollar.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Oh hey I watched that one Red Letter Media video about the game too.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stux posted:

maybe it helped I had really low expectations going in but ive been enjoying it and the gunplay is really fun and visceral v:shobon:v
This is probably true but everything you just mentioned was better in the new Wolfenstein

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I thought it was obnoxious when people started parroting RLM Star Wars reviews but I never foresaw the deluge of smug "heh you criticised this thing? Red Letter Media did too........ gotcha b*thc" posts, endlessly, forever. I miss those innocent days.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sleeveless posted:

RLM does video game reviews now? Huh? :confused:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wish Plinkett did videogame reviews, AVGN is far too normal and I would honestly like a serial killer's perspective.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's something a little too on-the-nose about a media-obsessed fat guy who subsists on pizza rolls and keeps women locked in his basement reviewing videogames imo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I haven't played The Order but the huge amount of backlash against it seems to be a reaction to the marketing more than anything else: if it had quietly come out with little fanfare nobody would have really cared but since the developers were running at the mouth about it being a revolution in cinematic storytelling and Sony tried to market it as a tentpole game people got really worked up at a game that was mostly just forgettably mediocre.

It wasn't even that much fun to mock after thethe Xbox One's continuing trainwreck of broken and microtransaction-riddled first-party offerings.

precision posted:

RLM does video game reviews now? Huh? :confused:

It's called Previously Recorded and it's all on YouTube, it's pretty hit-or-miss (Mike and Jay aren't really into video games so it's hosted by Rich Evans and Cancer Patient Moby) but their episode of The Order: 1886 has some good laughs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG0zJ89Fv8c

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

I haven't played The Order but the huge amount of backlash against it seems to be a reaction to the marketing more than anything else: if it had quietly come out with little fanfare nobody would have really cared but since the developers were running at the mouth about it being a revolution in cinematic storytelling and Sony tried to market it as a tentpole game people got really worked up at a game that was mostly just forgettably mediocre.

It wasn't even that much fun to mock after thethe Xbox One's continuing trainwreck of broken and microtransaction-riddled first-party offerings.

It's called Previously Recorded and it's all on YouTube, it's pretty hit-or-miss (Mike and Jay aren't really into video games so it's hosted by Rich Evans and Cancer Patient Moby) but their episode of The Order: 1886 has some good laughs:

Why are they talking to each other from isolated voids

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Why are they talking to each other from isolated voids
Do you really want two gamers in the same room? Even they know better

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

CrashCat posted:

This is probably true but everything you just mentioned was better in the new Wolfenstein

ironically the new wolfenstein was actually really mediocre and had awful gunplay. that game got so hyped up here and then I played it and ugh. how do you go from the 2009 reboot to such a pile? never even finished it.

Sleeveless posted:

yeah it's definitely not a revolution in any sense, but it's a fun game. the story and characters aren't a masterpiece but they're engaging enough to drive the game, the gameplay is way more scrappy than GoW and feels more like a faster paced TLOU and the graphics are legitimately fantastic. I have honestly not realised ive been given control again a few times as there's no downgrading of visuals from cutscenes to gameplay and it looks that drat good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

nu-wolfenstein was like the epitome of "good but not great"

like i had no complaints other than underwhelming boss fights but there wasn't really that much that made me go "wow." the whole mood of "what if the nazis used wacky superscience to conquer the world with robots and build a moonbase, but also yeah they're genocidal monsters that murder millions of people" kind of prevents either it from being full-on horror or over-the-top fun, and it doesn't even quite gel into where eagles dare/guns of navaronne/the eagle has landed wwii action flick territory. (the new dlc does look like it'll be more lighthearted tho)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you didn't have fun tearing up an aerospace museum with dual rocket launchers or escaping prison on a mech idk wtf

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

idk, i think it just might be that it was hyped up a bunch?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

summer 2014 wasn't exactly halcyon days for new console game libraries after all goons were hyping anything and everything.
anyone who quit before the end is dumb as gently caress though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

yeah, i finished it, enjoyed it, will prob pick up the dlc, but i didn't think it was mindblowing either. (also wasn't the 09 game incredibly mediocre?)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Enjoy Wolf New Order and Old Blood because I don't think there's like any good shooters coming out right now for the rest of 2015

I mean I'm sure there's a new COD and Battlefield and Far Cry coming but I'm talking about good shooters

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Enjoy Wolf New Order and Old Blood because I don't think there's like any good shooters coming out right now for the rest of 2015

I mean I'm sure there's a new COD and Battlefield and Far Cry coming but I'm talking about good shooters
Killing Floor 2, man.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I thought I was clear when I said good shooters

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

StashAugustine posted:

It's important to remember that when discussing media on the internet there is no such thing as "good" or "bad", only continuous fluctuations between "overrated" and "underrated".

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
video games are good

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
some video games arent fun.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
other video games transcend art

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
video games are good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

id rather play whatever the new CoD is than new order again

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
"the new order is like old shooters and really good because of it, because old shooters were just better somehow"

the reason is you were 10 and new order doesn't regress your age so actually its bad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The New Order isn't really like old shooters though, or at least not Doom/Quake era run and gun shooters. You still move really slowly, have half your abilities locked behind skill trees, primarily rely on cover to avoid damage and use almost exclusively various flavours of hitscan guns; even the old-school concessions like overcharging your health work in such a way that they're of extremely fringe benefit

Also old shooters are great, screw you Stux!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked Wolfenstein TNO but the thing that dragged it down for me is that I never really had enough ammo for the big guns to do anything fun with them so I just used the standard assault rifle pretty much the entire time. The laser gun/sniper rifle and laserkraftwerk have pretty tiny battery life and you get maxed out on rockets way too quick for them to be useful in normal combat. Also the robot enemies kinda suck because there's no real way to tell if you're hurting them until they spontaneously explode because you killed them. I agree with the guy that said it was good but not great tbh.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the order to hang yourself with a noose

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

VideoGames posted:

some video games arent fun.
some video games are owned by people who really want you to know that they are having fun with them

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

im not saying these two are the same thing but

y'know...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Some video games you're just playing wrong and are totally perfect in every way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i am so goddamn tired and i have to work until midnight instead of playing video games.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I never played The Order (and most likely never will) but I remember it having a pretty neat werezombie-ish enemy in the trailers that is actually intelligent but I think I read somewhere that they rarely pop up and instead you mow down tons of normal soldiers or something because that would mean it did something novel and fun and we can't have that in our AAA cover shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are 2 fights with them in the entire game, although "the entire game" is not saying much because it's quite short.

• Locked thread