Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are you guys still really arguing with the dude who wanted to nuke the entire Soviet Union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Effectronica posted:

That's pretty arrogant of you, assuming that you're a person.

Be careful not to appropriate any culture when you suggest a grisly method of execution for me.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Venom Snake posted:

Are you guys still really arguing with the dude who wanted to nuke the entire Soviet Union.

Human life is so precious, that if we had to kill a million people to save a million and one different people, we would have a moral duty to do it.

That's my position, what's yours?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Be careful not to appropriate any culture when you suggest a grisly method of execution for me.

By the way, the last time I saw the "everyone is laughing at you" tactic, it was a guy who only ever talked in the third person yelling about how he was sharing this on facebook where literally thousands of people were laughing at you guys. Was that guy your smarter cousin or something

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TheImmigrant posted:

You know, after the post about me being paralyzed and everything, I was going to carry on in the same spirit and as it that after re-reading what I'd said, I was going to tear all the panels off my car and weld them together to form a makeshift cauldron, which I would fill with oil and boil myself alive as punishment.

But then I thought, I'm a pretty normal white American who strongly identifies with American culture, and such an exotic means of execution has never been practiced by my people, so I'do best not.

But, you empowered me with your example, so now I'm sharing.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

hakimashou posted:

Human life is so precious, that if we had to kill a million people to save a million and one different people, we would have a moral duty to do it.

That's my position, what's yours?

Not killing hundreds of millions of people in the name of capitalism.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Effectronica posted:

By the way, the last time I saw the "everyone is laughing at you" tactic, it was a guy who only ever talked in the third person yelling about how he was sharing this on facebook where literally thousands of people were laughing at you guys. Was that guy your smarter cousin or something

You know, I know just what you're talking about!

That was Robert. He's my aunt and uncle's son, and boy is he clever. The person you're talking about is literally -my- smarter cousin!

Small world!

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 15, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Venom Snake posted:

Not killing hundreds of millions of people in the name of capitalism.

In the name of saving hundreds of millions +1.

Because one extra life saved makes it a duty.

Surely we can both agree that if the choice is between fifty million people dying and fifty million and one people dying, the former is preferable to the latter.

I refuse to concede that human lives are just numbers or statistics, venom snake, I belive they matter.

What if that one life was yours, or someone you loved very much?

ETA: to put it more simply, the marginal utility of a single life does not change under any circumstances. One person dying to save two is not morally different to a billion dying to save a billion and one.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 15, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

hakimashou posted:

In the name of saving hundreds of millions +1.

Because one extra life saved makes it a duty.

Surely we can both agree that if the choice is between fifty million people dying and fifty million and one people dying, the former is preferable to the latter.

I refuse to concede that human lives are just numbers or statistics, venom snake, I belive they matter.

What if that one life was yours, or someone you loved very much?

ETA: to put it more simply, the marginal utility of a single life does not change under any circumstances. One person dying to save two is not morally different to a billion dying to save a billion and one.

wow I didn't know the Soviet Union killed a billion people, makes u think

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Scenario A contains a population in which everybody leads lives well worth living. In A+ there is one group of people as large as the group in A and with the same high quality of life. But A+ also contains a number of people with a somewhat lower quality of life. In Parfit's terminology A+ is generated from A by “mere addition”. Comparing A and A+ it is reasonable to hold that A+ is better than A or, at least, not worse. Addition of extra worthwhile lives cannot make an outcome worse. Consider the next scenario B with the same number of people as A+, all leading lives worth living and at an average well-being level slightly above the average in A+, but lower than the average in A. It is hard to deny that B is better than A+ since it is better in regard to both average welfare and equality. However, if A+ is at least not worse than A, and if B is better than A+, then B is also better than A given full comparability among populations (i.e., setting aside possible incomparability among populations). By parity of reasoning (scenario B+ and C, C+ etc.), we end up with a scenario Z where the population has a very low positive quality of life. Thus, the final conclusion is that Z is better than A.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Venom Snake posted:

wow I didn't know the Soviet Union killed a billion people, makes u think

Well, I didn't want to bring it up, but Russia didn't have "hundreds of millions of people" living in it during the 1940s.

Really though, what does it matter?

If the marginal utility of a single life doesn't change based on any circumstances, then the figure given can't possibly matter. One dying to save two lives, a million for a million and one, a trillion for a trillion and one, either life is precious or it isn't.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Effectronica posted:

Scenario A contains a population in which everybody leads lives well worth living. In A+ there is one group of people as large as the group in A and with the same high quality of life. But A+ also contains a number of people with a somewhat lower quality of life. In Parfit's terminology A+ is generated from A by “mere addition”. Comparing A and A+ it is reasonable to hold that A+ is better than A or, at least, not worse. Addition of extra worthwhile lives cannot make an outcome worse. Consider the next scenario B with the same number of people as A+, all leading lives worth living and at an average well-being level slightly above the average in A+, but lower than the average in A. It is hard to deny that B is better than A+ since it is better in regard to both average welfare and equality. However, if A+ is at least not worse than A, and if B is better than A+, then B is also better than A given full comparability among populations (i.e., setting aside possible incomparability among populations). By parity of reasoning (scenario B+ and C, C+ etc.), we end up with a scenario Z where the population has a very low positive quality of life. Thus, the final conclusion is that Z is better than A.

How did you know that Derek Parfit is basically my favorite person in the whole world?

I recognized Reasons and Persons in the very first line of that!

Anyhow, I take your point.

In future I will only claim, and in past only meant, that the marginal utility of a single life doesn't change based only on the total number of lives involved, absent other relevant circumstances like vital quality of life.

I didn't really expect anyone would come at me with Parfitianism and mere addition, ( considering this is really just a shameless display of 'make it personal' ad-hom boorishness) and it really wasn't what I was getting at, but large he looms, and right!

But can any discussion of Reasons and Persons really carry on without mention of his most profound conclusion?

Identity is not what matters.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 15, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm happy to take a break from pretending not to understand racism to discuss my true passion, colossal utilitarian genocide.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

hakimashou posted:

Well, I didn't want to bring it up, but Russia didn't have "hundreds of millions of people" living in it during the 1940s.

Really though, what does it matter?

If the marginal utility of a single life doesn't change based on any circumstances, then the figure given can't possibly matter. One dying to save two lives, a million for a million and one, a trillion for a trillion and one, either life is precious or it isn't.

The Soviet Union didn't kill hundreds of millions of people. In your hypothetical world of nuking the entire Soviet Union all of Europe would be a radioactive wasteland nobody could live in, which would in the end result in hundreds of millions dead.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey, maybe don't be a dick yo.

:smug: What if I buy ice cream for my niece? Is that being a dick? Ha ha, of course not. Guess that proves being a dick doesn't exist!

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Effectronica posted:

I dunno where to start. I think this really deserves to be broken down thought-by-thought, assuming there are any in there.

So let's begin at the top. You are refusing to engage with what I actually wrote, except in this vague way where you agree that the process I have outlined is a bad thing, but the remedies I proposed don't exist. Instead, you're arguing that although it may be a bad thing, I can't call it cultural appropriation because you've defined that word differently. I guess that, given the totality of this thread so far, I should probably start making burnt offerings to Hera Argeia for shared definitions, because that will be probably more effective than asking for common ground on them.

His post seemed to be engaging with what you wrote. You're both looking at the link between "Outsiders adopt a diluted form of some cultural practice" and "Insiders end up with a diluted meaning". You're disagreeing about who's doing the dilution. You're saying that outsiders are diluting the insider's understanding of X. Rudatron is saying that insiders are still free to practice X however they want. If they choose to adapt their practice, then that's not a problem. A specific scenario makes it clearer.

quote:

Suppose Springfield has a decent-sized Evangelical population. A few years ago, the Evangelicals (and only the Evangelicals) celebrated Easter. It was a solemn religious holiday where everyone went to church and then had a quiet meal with their family. Evangelicals said that solemn, religious, Easter was very important to them. This peaked in 1985, right when the current leaders were raising kids.

Recently, other people have started holding 'Easter' with egg hunts and bunnies and brightly colored baskets of candy. Evangelical leaders have noticed that fewer people are coming to Easter services. Evangelical kids are starting to describe Easter as "The Holiday with the Bunnies." Evangelical community leaders are unhappy.

Has Easter been appropriated? Should non-Evangelicals feel bad?

This looks like a clear case of appropriation. (Unless we go with the "it only counts when it's exotic" definition)

I don't see why the non-Evangelicals should care. They don't have a duty to preserve Evangelical culture. In particular, they don't have a duty to preserve it's state in some semi-arbitrary year.

I agree with Rudatron's argument. The non-Evangelicals didn't dilute Evangelical-Easter. How could they? They weren't the ones going to church. Outsiders don't get to vote when we ask about a thing's meaning within a culture. Instead, the non-Evangelicals created their own holiday that shared some trappings with Evangelical-Easter. Evangelical practices changed because Evangelicals decided to skip church in favor of egg hunts. That's a grass-roots change happening within a culture.

The shift might make the cultural leaders unhappy. But ultimately, if the average member of the culture wanted to be in church, they'd be in church. And while parents have a right to introduce their kids to their culture, it's ultimate the kid's decision to accept a practice or not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes but Evangelical Christianity is not a real culture. I think you all take my meaning.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Yes but Evangelical Christianity is not a real culture. I think you all take my meaning.

These people have Culture, you racist.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes, but that culture is not "evangelical" any more than their culture would be McDonald's if they ate a Big Mac.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

falcon2424 posted:

His post seemed to be engaging with what you wrote. You're both looking at the link between "Outsiders adopt a diluted form of some cultural practice" and "Insiders end up with a diluted meaning". You're disagreeing about who's doing the dilution. You're saying that outsiders are diluting the insider's understanding of X. Rudatron is saying that insiders are still free to practice X however they want. If they choose to adapt their practice, then that's not a problem. A specific scenario makes it clearer.

This looks like a clear case of appropriation. (Unless we go with the "it only counts when it's exotic" definition)

I don't see why the non-Evangelicals should care. They don't have a duty to preserve Evangelical culture. In particular, they don't have a duty to preserve it's state in some semi-arbitrary year.

I agree with Rudatron's argument. The non-Evangelicals didn't dilute Evangelical-Easter. How could they? They weren't the ones going to church. Outsiders don't get to vote when we ask about a thing's meaning within a culture. Instead, the non-Evangelicals created their own holiday that shared some trappings with Evangelical-Easter. Evangelical practices changed because Evangelicals decided to skip church in favor of egg hunts. That's a grass-roots change happening within a culture.

The shift might make the cultural leaders unhappy. But ultimately, if the average member of the culture wanted to be in church, they'd be in church. And while parents have a right to introduce their kids to their culture, it's ultimate the kid's decision to accept a practice or not.

You understand that I am not talking about "sharing some trappings", right? And your example is on the one hand stupid for using misleading terms (evangelical interpretations diverged from mainstream ones, there was no real appropriation or borrowing beyond the initial act of people adopting German traditions for Easter in much of the USA, which is not appropriative in my definition because of the relationship between the two cultures) but also very appropriate, because the exact phenomenon I outlined as a way to preserve culture- retreating from the broader society- is something that actual evangelicals have done, which is why you have Christian bookstores and a whole series of ways for people to avoid interacting with mainstream culture. Is this the best practical result we can expect? If not, what should we do instead.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Effectronica posted:

You understand that I am not talking about "sharing some trappings", right? And your example is on the one hand stupid for using misleading terms (evangelical interpretations diverged from mainstream ones, there was no real appropriation or borrowing beyond the initial act of people adopting German traditions for Easter in much of the USA, which is not appropriative in my definition because of the relationship between the two cultures) but also very appropriate, because the exact phenomenon I outlined as a way to preserve culture- retreating from the broader society- is something that actual evangelicals have done, which is why you have Christian bookstores and a whole series of ways for people to avoid interacting with mainstream culture. Is this the best practical result we can expect? If not, what should we do instead.

hmm yes, whats the punchline?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

SedanChair posted:

Yes, but that culture is not "evangelical" any more than their culture would be McDonald's if they ate a Big Mac.

This is kind of the inverse of the racism inherent in exoticicing other cultures. Instead engaging in the typical noble savage fallacy you deny them agency and insist that their choice of how to develop their culture isn't real.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok, let's try something.

In 1993, at the Lakota Summit V, the assembled members unanimously passed the "Declaration of War Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality."

Now are the practices described in this document

A. Real problems with cultural appropriation that the council was attempting to address.

B. Real problems, but not cultural appropriation because *INSERT 50 PAGE TANGENT HERE*

C. Not actually problems and those dumb minorities should have better things to worry about.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

7c Nickel posted:

Ok, let's try something.

In 1993, at the Lakota Summit V, the assembled members unanimously passed the "Declaration of War Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality."

Now are the practices described in this document

A. Real problems with cultural appropriation that the council was attempting to address.

B. Real problems, but not cultural appropriation because *INSERT 50 PAGE TANGENT HERE*

C. Not actually problems and those dumb minorities should have better things to worry about.

The majority of people arguing against CA in this thread have repeatedly emphasized that it's B.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Reading through the Declaration of War, all of the WHEREAS statements boil down to "We are very offended by the manner in which some are using our sacred symbols", except this one:

quote:

WHEREAS the absurd public posturing of this scandalous assortment of psuedo-Indian charlatans, "wannabes," commercial profiteers, cultists and "New Age shamans" comprises a momentous obstacle in the struggle of traditional Lakota people for an adequate public appraisal of the legitimate political, legal and spiritual needs of real Lakota people

Which seems most directly to be appropriation. The concern doesn't seem to be that appropriation literally destroys authentic Lakota spirituality, but that appropriation negatively influences public perceptions of the Lakota. Is opposition to cultural appropriation rooted in a desire to control public perceptions of a minority group by that group?

Further down, more complexity:

quote:

4. We especially urge all our Lakota, Dakota, and Nakota people to take action to prevent our own people from contributing to and enabling the abuse of our sacred ceremonies and spiritual practices by outsiders; for, as we all know, there are certain ones among our own people who are prostituting our spiritual ways for their own selfish gain, with no regard for the spiritual well-being of the people as a whole.

5. We assert a posture of zero-tolerance for any "white man's shaman" who rises from within our own communities to "authorize" the expropriation of our ceremonial ways by non-Indians; all such "plastic medicine men" are enemies of the Lakota, Dakota and Nakota people.

It seems like the Lakota believe you can, in fact, appropriate your own culture. How, then, do we differentiate between spiritual prostitutes and true believers?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Let us English posted:

This is kind of the inverse of the racism inherent in exoticicing other cultures. Instead engaging in the typical noble savage fallacy you deny them agency and insist that their choice of how to develop their culture isn't real.

There is no "inverse." Turning it around is not meaningful. And giving money to polo shirt wearing pastors is not "developing your culture" it's being a sucker. A racist posted pictures of rambunctious Africans like it was kryptonite to me, but I'll call them suckers the same as I would white folks who do the same. Anybody who has a problem with that needs to discover their own racism before looking at others.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Refusing to engage? I did engage, I pointed out that you're linking, without justification, the act of cultural appropriation with imposition. I've made this point several times now, each time you've dodged it. If they are necessarily linked, I want you to explain why. The logic you've provided so far have relied on this assumption. You handwave it around with words like 'confusion', but there's not enough explanation there to satisfy me.

Now, naturalness: Natural is always a bad word to use because it has subjective qualifiers attached to it, but doesn't disclose them that easily. I've preferred to use the word 'normal' because that's very obviously a subjective word. I and most people would recognize imposition as a violent action - it should be avoided when possible. You've continually linked appropriation with imposition, and I've been attacking that link each time, to show how bad it is. But I have seen before attempts to show how important cultural diversity itself is, as a goal, with analogies to biological diversity, to show why cultural diversity should be a priori valued. Now perhaps you don't believe in that, that you have other reasons for valuing it in and of itself, such that any action that may lead to a loss is automatically bad. But the bio-analogy is very common.

But then we come to your example. I dunno effectronica, is banning a cultural practice at all like cultural appropriation? It's clear imposition, you're stopping people from what they want to do without just cause. If, on the other hand, a culture can die without it being imposed to die, then it means its practitioners have abandoned it. Their values have changed. Obviously there's no 'ethereal plane' action here, but cultures definitely aren't people. I said it before, they're tools. If nobody wants a tool, it has no value.

Now apply that to your crossing-the-street example. Black people are not a 'thing', their welfare matters (and it is definitely not abstract), so you can consequentialist your way into saying 'that's bad'.

And now, for tolerance: you have asked to me to do a great many things that you have not done. Where is your justification? You say tolerance is not an social ideal, where is your proof? If you don't agree, you don't agree. I don't have iron-clad proof, but neither do you. Neither does anyone else, or racism would already be over. And as for misattribution, again, the closest you have come to any kind of counter-argument is accusing society of not valuing it high enough. How is that not moralizing? X has failed because people didn't believe in it enough: is that kind of logic convincing to you?

rudatron fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 16, 2015

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

SedanChair posted:

There is no "inverse." Turning it around is not meaningful. And giving money to polo shirt wearing pastors is not "developing your culture" it's being a sucker. A racist posted pictures of rambunctious Africans like it was kryptonite to me, but I'll call them suckers the same as I would white folks who do the same. Anybody who has a problem with that needs to discover their own racism before looking at others.

You didn't call them suckers, you said that there choices weren't part of their culture. They are suckers. Evangelical Christianity is part of their culture. American pastors spreading those beliefs are dangerous assholes. Those three statements are not mutually exclusive.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 16, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

Refusing to engage? I did engage, I pointed out that you're linking, without justification, the act of cultural appropriation (the copying of elements) and cultural destruction (the loss of elements). I've made this point several times now, each time you've dodged it. If they are necessarily linked, you must show that. The logic you've provided so far have relied on this assumption. You handwave it around with words like 'confusion', but there's not enough explanation there to satisfy me.

Now, naturalness: Natural is always a bad word to use because it has subjective qualifiers attached to it, but doesn't disclose them that easily. I've preferred to use the word 'normal' because that's very obviously a subjective word. I and most people would recognize imposition as a violent action - it should be avoided when possible. You've continually linked appropriation with imposition, and I've been attacking that link each time, to show how bad it is. But I have seen before attempts to show how important cultural diversity itself is, as a goal, with analogies to biological diversity, to show why cultural diversity should be a priori valued. Now perhaps you don't believe in that, that you have other reasons for valuing it in and of itself, such that any action that may lead to a loss is automatically bad. But the bio-analogy is very common.

But then we come to your example. I dunno effectronica, is banning a cultural practice at all like cultural appropriation? It's clear imposition, you're stopping people from what they want to do without just cause. If, on the other hand, a culture can die without it being imposed to die, then it means its practitioners have abandoned it. Their values have changed. Obviously there's no 'ethereal plane' action here, but cultures definitely aren't people. I said it before, they're tools. If nobody wants a tool, it has no value.

Now apply that to your crossing-the-street example. Black people are not a 'thing', their welfare matters (and it is definitely not abstract), so you can consequentialist your way into saying 'that's bad'.

And now, for tolerance: you have asked to me to do a great many things that you have not done. Where is your justification? You say tolerance is not an ideal, where is your proof? I have at least provided some kind of argument, all you done is just make demands. If you don't agree, you don't agree, nothing I can do about that. I don't have iron-clad proof, but neither do you. And neither does anyone else, or racism would already be over. I'm not discussing this because I want there to be a 'smackdown', I do it because its interesting. So let's see you put your cards on the table, and maybe they'll be something new to talk about.

You have done nothing to respond to the actual argument that was made, which sought to show a way by which borrowing could become destructive, and have not even acknowledged it in passing. If you're not going to respond to people meeting your demands and just repeat yourself, there is no reason to engage further beyond pettiness. Unless maybe you have some sort of objection you're not being clear about, in which case you're merely an rear end in a top hat.

The big problem here is that you're using definitions that are different from mine, and then treating them as inherent truths, presumably as Platonic Forms, so I am personally disinclined to use your definitions, connotative as they are of you being a prick. So I can't really respond very well because you're using, e.g. a definition of the term "imposition" that I find nonsensical and I have no reasons to adopt your definitions, several reasons against, and several reasons why I feel that my definitions are good in their own right. Maybe you could address this, but I doubt you are inclined to do so.

Now we get to the meat of any D&D thread- arguing over how well a figurative statement fits the given situation. The only real response to that is "Go gently caress yourself". I guess the next part would also be worthy of a "Go gently caress yourself" for puking libertarianism, but I know that you don't really mean that and are just operating under bad definitions.

I guess that there is room for another "go gently caress yourself" for dodging away from the point of how you are measuring such harm, but that's a cruel thing to ask consequentialists to do and I don't want you to hurt yourself in the attempt.

You know, you're the one who started with the assertions, and yet you're demanding that other people prove their statements first. Why don't you just abandon your claim, which you admit is something you can't support? Because among the things that would be better than listening to semantical claims that neglect basic semiotic principles and then arguing about them, I can count:

-pouring boiling water over my head
-going for a swim in freezing temperatures
-discussing what fictional characters people masturbate to.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Effectronica posted:

You have done nothing to respond to the actual argument that was made, which sought to show a way by which borrowing could become destructive, and have not even acknowledged it in passing. If you're not going to respond to people meeting your demands and just repeat yourself, there is no reason to engage further beyond pettiness. Unless maybe you have some sort of objection you're not being clear about, in which case you're merely an rear end in a top hat.

The big problem here is that you're using definitions that are different from mine, and then treating them as inherent truths, presumably as Platonic Forms, so I am personally disinclined to use your definitions, connotative as they are of you being a prick. So I can't really respond very well because you're using, e.g. a definition of the term "imposition" that I find nonsensical and I have no reasons to adopt your definitions, several reasons against, and several reasons why I feel that my definitions are good in their own right. Maybe you could address this, but I doubt you are inclined to do so.

Now we get to the meat of any D&D thread- arguing over how well a figurative statement fits the given situation. The only real response to that is "Go gently caress yourself". I guess the next part would also be worthy of a "Go gently caress yourself" for puking libertarianism, but I know that you don't really mean that and are just operating under bad definitions.

I guess that there is room for another "go gently caress yourself" for dodging away from the point of how you are measuring such harm, but that's a cruel thing to ask consequentialists to do and I don't want you to hurt yourself in the attempt.

You know, you're the one who started with the assertions, and yet you're demanding that other people prove their statements first. Why don't you just abandon your claim, which you admit is something you can't support? Because among the things that would be better than listening to semantical claims that neglect basic semiotic principles and then arguing about them, I can count:

-pouring boiling water over my head
-going for a swim in freezing temperatures
-discussing what fictional characters people masturbate to.

You sound angry. You should get laid. Pay for it, if you must - I'll lend you the money if you need it. Just remember not to appropriate any cultural taboos while you engage in gay prostitution, because, like, racism.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

You sound angry. You should get laid. Pay for it, if you must - I'll lend you the money if you need it. Just remember not to appropriate any cultural taboos while you engage in gay prostitution, because, like, racism.

You should reclaim your throne as prince of GBS. With your ability to tell people they're angry, you would be loved.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

This is what it always comes down to for the likes of you, isn't it? Jock poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mods please gas.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Jock poo poo.
lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haha loving jocks

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Cultural appropriation is bad because its dilutes the exotic authenticity of a culture, but a culture's exotic authenticity only matters to people outside it, because our own cultures aren't exotic to us.

So, cultural appropriation can only be bad from an outside perspective, since diluting or diminishing the exotic authenticity of another culture is only bad from the perspective of someone who values it because it is exotic.

So, for people who believe they are part of a culture but also are alarmed when its exotic authenticity is diminished, there is a contradiction. Somewhere along the line they identified with a culture but never really came to see or value it from an insider's perspective.

Fundamentally, if we think our own cultures have intrinsic values rather than extrinsic ones- for example "I like this about my culture because i think it is good" vs "I like this about my culture because only we do it-" then we can't possibly see cultural appropriation as wrong, since at worst, it is just people trying to imitate something we think is good, and we should want the best for one another.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

Cultural appropriation is bad because its dilutes the exotic authenticity of a culture, but a culture's exotic authenticity only matters to people outside it, because our own cultures aren't exotic to us.

So, cultural appropriation can only be bad from an outside perspective, since diluting or diminishing the exotic authenticity of another culture is only bad from the perspective of someone who values it because it is exotic.

So, for people who believe they are part of a culture but also are alarmed when its exotic authenticity is diminished, there is a contradiction. Somewhere along the line they identified with a culture but never really came to see or value it from an insider's perspective.

Fundamentally, if we think our own cultures have intrinsic values rather than extrinsic ones- for example "I like this about my culture because i think it is good" vs "I like this about my culture because only we do it-" then we can't possibly see cultural appropriation as wrong, since at worst, it is just people trying to imitate something we think is good, and we should want the best for one another.

You could have just written "Native Americans aren't real" and gotten the same point across much more efficiently.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

quote:

Suppose Springfield has a decent-sized Evangelical population. A few years ago, the Evangelicals (and only the Evangelicals) celebrated Easter. It was a solemn religious holiday where everyone went to church and then had a quiet meal with their family. Evangelicals said that solemn, religious, Easter was very important to them. This peaked in 1985, right when the current leaders were raising kids.

Recently, other people have started holding 'Easter' with egg hunts and bunnies and brightly colored baskets of candy. Evangelical leaders have noticed that fewer people are coming to Easter services. Evangelical kids are starting to describe Easter as "The Holiday with the Bunnies." Evangelical community leaders are unhappy.

Has Easter been appropriated? Should non-Evangelicals feel bad?

Effectronica posted:

Why would ancient origins of Easter matter? It's a hypothetical. The whole situation is made up anyway, so we can just assert that the Non-Evangelicals got their Easter via the Evangelicals.

If so, it's quintessential appropriation, unless you're sticking in that hidden, "only 'exotic' stuff counts" clause.

And I agree that the Evangelicals clearly have a right to withdraw from broader culture if they want. I'm saying that I don't have any particular obligation to help. And I have no reason to be upset if a once-distinct Evangelical evangelical population starts merging with the mainstream.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know whats worse: the people who deny cultural appropriation exists or the people who basically want to tell minorities what they REALLY should be angry about.

You basically got it. It's not that people are just wearing poo poo. It's people wearing poo poo without understanding the context in which it is worn or what it signifies. In Iggy Azalea's example, its about her taking on this persona while not even getting it right. I mean, for as terrible Macklemore is, he at least doesn't do near the amount of stupid poo poo that Azalea does.

blackguy32 posted:

Yes, a white girl from Australia who is even clueless about the racism in her home country and how it relates to Aboriginal housing, comes to the United States, adopts rap music as her platform, then proceeds to poo poo on minorities using a myriad of stereotypes while making money off a "hood" persona.

http://black-australia.tumblr.com/post/86986108822/in-this-video-iggy-azalea-is-interviewed-by-the

http://piggyazalea.tumblr.com/

Also, note how I never called it black culture. I mean Eminem while receiving many of the same criticisms has never poo poo on his audience in the way that Iggy Azalea has.
This is from way back earlier in the thread, but I looked at the Piggy Azalea tumblr and the blogger said it doesn't matter if she has a black boyfriend, she can still be a racist. That may be so, but I'd like to hear somebody say she's a racist to that guy's face. Y'know?

I've always seen this kind of thing as something people accuse each other of when insulated through social media or behind their backs. But at the end of the day, we don't actually know any of these people, what they're like as people, or what their individual relationships are like. Which is why left-wing movements that tend to obsess over things like cultural appropriation tend to drive wedges between *actual people* and turn them off.

The argument is that her persona is a giant put-on and it's inauthentic (how do you define that?), and that she's not "getting it right," and that she's from Australia and that's all she's ever going to be. It's a very dreary form of ethno-cultural determinism, really. But what I'd say is: this is America. She came here to re-invent herself and be somebody else, and no one has a right to judge her for that, and that's what makes this country a place of opportunity -- we should be proud of that!

FourLeaf posted:

Honestly I think the problem with the term cultural appropriation is that, like "problematic," it's a really weaselly coward way of not hurting people's feelings by saying "racist." Like that picture of the Redskins fan isn't cultural appropriation, it's a loving horrendous racist caricature of actual living people.
I agree with this.

Lowtechs posted:

Seems to me that the best way to stop cultural appropriation by Whites is White Pride World Wide. Have White people reject non-White cultures and learn to love their own White culture will stop cultural appropriation.
Well, if you take the extreme argument to its logical conclusion, then this is basically correct. The one group of white people who can't be accused of appropriating anything at all -- at the extreme -- are probably going to be into some kind of European racial neo-paganism.

I also have to say I'm depressed by these conversations. It really strikes me as an example of the "narcissism of small differences," and how white and black Americans tend to heighten and emphasize the differences between them, which is really pretty tragic, because they are actually quite similar in most respects, and have far more in common with each other than either do with white Europeans or black Africans.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Effectronica posted:

You could have just written "Native Americans aren't real" and gotten the same point across much more efficiently.

How do you figure that?

• Locked thread