Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
You're also forgetting the possibility that Christ Christie really does believe that marihuana is bad for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What the gently caress is Christie doing? The rotund rear end in a top hat is my governor and I'm getting a huge kick out of watching him collapse on himself like the souffle he resembles, but between comments like the above and his Social Security statement, he seems to be deliberately sabotaging himself. I don't see the angle in it. He's a bad person and a worse politician, but he's always been smarter than this at loving people over.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

but he's always been smarter than this at loving people over.

He closed down lanes on one of the highest volume bridges (actually I think the actual highest?) on the planet to get revenge for a political slight. He is not smart about loving people over, other than himself at least. Hes very good at that. Dudes gonna end up in a cell next to Blago once the IRS catches up to him too so there's that to look forward to.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spaceman Future! posted:

He closed down lanes on one of the highest volume bridges (actually I think the actual highest?) on the planet to get revenge for a political slight. He is not smart about loving people over, other than himself at least. Hes very good at that. Dudes gonna end up in a cell next to Blago once the IRS catches up to him too so there's that to look forward to.

Yeah the GWB is the absolute busiest bridge in traffic counts globally and has been for decades. Nearly 300,000 vehicles per day and god only knows how many people what with all the bus traffic.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Spaceman Future! posted:

Not only that, an elderly woman died that day, possibly because the traffic problems doubled EMS response times.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Spaceman Future! posted:

There's no evidence that he was involved directly, and I don't personally believe he was involved. I feel like he wouldn't have made the jokes he made about it during press conferences if he actually was involved. I still think he's responsible, though. He knew what kind of character Wildstein was, and he definitely created an environment where that kind of stupidity was encouraged. There's other examples like handing out 9/11 wreckage as souvenirs to people who did political favors for him that demonstrate this pretty well. The theories of his involvement in the bridge plot don't really make sense, though.

Also, a small correction, but an important one. Lanes on the bridge itself were not closed down. A few lanes that were on-ramps to the bridge were closed in Fort Lee. Other on-ramps continued to function. It was hosed up for sure, but people shouldn't inflate the numbers just because Christie is a humongous prick.

Both doctors and her family both stated it was her time to go, and that the delay had no impact on her death. EMS response times being doubled could have had disastrous consequences, though, and that part is super hosed up. That specific case, though, isn't really an example of it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 16, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ErIog posted:

Also, a small correction, but an important one. Lanes on the bridge itself were not closed down. A few lanes that we're on-ramps to the bridge were closed in Fort Lee. Other on-ramps continued to function. It was hosed up for sure, but people shouldn't inflate the numbers just because Christie is a humongous prick.

My wife commutes from Harlem to Paramus, typically a 15 minute drive and that particular morning she was three and a half hours late due to the entire infrastructure on and around the bridge being completely crippled so your "small correction" means functionally squat.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Spaceman Future! posted:

My wife commutes from Harlem to Paramus, typically a 15 minute drive and that particular morning she was three and a half hours late due to the entire infrastructure on and around the bridge being completely crippled so your "small correction" means functionally squat.

Yeah, that's why I said it was a "small correction." I never claimed it didn't have a large impact. I just cautioned that maybe you shouldn't literally lie about what happened.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ErIog posted:

Also, a small correction, but an important one. Lanes on the bridge itself were not closed down. A few lanes that we're on-ramps to the bridge were closed in Fort Lee. Other on-ramps continued to function. It was hosed up for sure, but people shouldn't inflate the numbers just because Christie is a humongous prick.

That's not inflating the numbers dude, the bridge barely manages to handle its capacity when all exits and entrances are open. Closing even one is a huge problem, closing multiple is literally asking for people to die when there's no prior notice to arrange priority routes for emergency services.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ErIog posted:

Yeah, that's why I said it was a "small correction." I never claimed it didn't have a large impact. I just cautioned that maybe you shouldn't literally lie about what happened.

It was political sniping and Christie was definitely involved I'm sorry you don't feel that way but Barnum will console you in his tent, he can show you the hall of honorable Jersey politicians and Mermaids.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's not inflating the numbers dude, the bridge barely manages to handle its capacity when all exits and entrances are open. Closing even one is a huge problem, closing multiple is literally asking for people to die when there's no prior notice to arrange priority routes for emergency services.

Spaceman Future! posted:

He closed down lanes on one of the highest volume bridges...

Wikipedia's Description posted:

Bridgegate is a U.S. political scandal in which a staff member and political appointees of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie collaborated to create traffic jams in Fort Lee, New Jersey by closing lanes at the toll plaza to the George Washington Bridge.

I also need to go take a long look in the mirror if Fishmech is telling me to :spergin: about something less.

Spaceman Future! posted:

It was political sniping and Christie was definitely involved I'm sorry you don't feel that way but Barnum will console you in his tent, he can show you the hall of honorable Jersey politicians and Mermaids.

This is a claim that requires evidence, and so far there is no evidence. If there ever is evidence then I'll change my opinion, but from the facts as they exist now it does not seem like he was. I'm gonna need more than "nu'uh!" and "I'm a victim of this tragedy!" before I believe you.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 16, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ErIog posted:

I also need to go take a long look in the mirror if Fishmech is telling me to :spergin: about something less.

the toll lanes are part of the bridge you doufus they are literally charging a toll for the bridge itself and are in no indirect way a part of its infrastructure and traffic flow, you don't even win on technicality as the brige toll plaza is on raised pilons on the ramp to the bridge itself, IE part of the bridge construction.

ErIog posted:

This is a claim that requires evidence, and so far there is no evidence. If there ever is evidence then I'll change my opinion, but from the facts as they exist now it does not seem like he was. I'm gonna need more than "nu'uh!" and "I'm a victim of this tragedy!" before I believe you.

I would really need the motivation to effortpost this kind of reasoning and when someone is trying to make a distinction between the toll plaza attached to the bridge and a nebulous bridge lane I have a feeling that it would be effort better spent at literally anything else.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 16, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Weed uh, makes you paranoid. And it makes you eat too much." -Chris Christie

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Spaceman Future! posted:

the brige toll plaza is on raised pilons on the ramp to the bridge itself

Okay, I'm cool with this admission that your earlier statement was not entirely correct.

Spaceman Future! posted:

I would really need the motivation to effortpost this kind of reasoning and when someone is trying to make a distinction between the toll plaza attached to the bridge and a nebulous bridge lane I have a feeling that it would be effort better spent at literally anything else.

The impact of lanes on the bridge itself being closed versus lanes to the bridge being closed is different. I'm sorry, but one is smaller than the other. You don't get to conflate the two just because you were affected by it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 16, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

We have finally reached it. The most pedantic point ever made in D&D

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ErIog posted:

Okay, I'm cool with this admission that your earlier statement was not entirely correct.

The ramps are part of the bridge stupid, its how things get on to the bridge, otherwise known as the entrance, part of the bridge construction, colloquially "the bridge" I mean this is a concept so simple I dont even know where you are trying to make a line but holy poo poo youre way too invested and so wrong.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think this is my first time in D&D aside from through the Leper's Colony, too. Just in time for this momentous occasion.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I think this is my first time in D&D aside from through the Leper's Colony, too. Just in time for this momentous occasion.

We have such sights to show you, fellow snake.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

*in the voice of an extremely cool dude with lots of attractive friends who dont smell like soup* Ummm, saying he closed lanes on the worlds busiest bridge to cause traffic delays is a lie and you are incorrect. He actually closed lanes on the ramp-on to the worlds busiest bridge to cause traffic delays

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

*in the voice of an extremely cool dude with lots of attractive friends who dont smell like soup* Ummm, saying he closed lanes on the worlds busiest bridge to cause traffic delays is a lie and you are incorrect. He actually closed lanes on the ramp-on to the worlds busiest bridge to cause traffic delays

he caused delays at the bridge

loving fishmech don't understand how to communicate with 99% of america, news at 11

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

See that's the thing, though. I also made a separate point that "he closed lanes" is also not correct. There's no evidence he closed the lanes. Right now it looks like he is responsible in a very general way due to being the leader of his administration, but the evidence points to Kelly and Wildstein being directly responsible.

I guess I just care less about using hyperbole to score points for team D than some other posters in D&D.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If they weren't on the bridge, why would they be charging a toll for the bridge there?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ErIog posted:

See that's the thing, though. I also made a separate point that "he closed lanes" is also not correct. There's no evidence he closed the lanes. Right now it looks like he is responsible in a very general way due to being the leader of his administration, but the evidence points to Kelly and Wildstein being directly responsible.

Actually you will find that you are TECHNICALLY INCORRECT as both Kelly and Wildstein were not on the bridge, otherwise known as the portion of the bridge that you pay for your transversal across the span of the bridge, IE the toll plaza, they were not physically at the lanes in question marking them off with cones QED they did not close them, they merely gave the order to close them. I think you will find that not making this distinction makes your post a lie. *snortle* You see, this absolved them of responsibility as they did not interact with the lanes that caused so much trouble, therefore they are not responsible, therefore you are a filthy liar and I will see you in court.

ErIog posted:

I guess I just care less about using hyperbole to score points for team D than some other posters in D&D.

There is no ironicat big enough for someone who tries to make a nonexistent distinction between water spanning and span adjacent bridge infrastructure tying to complain about point scoring.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 16, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Do you always flip out this much when somebody gives you a small clarification?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

he caused delays at the bridge

loving fishmech don't understand how to communicate with 99% of america, news at 11

For once the pedanticness (pedanticity?) is not from Fishmech

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

For once the pedanticness (pedanticity?) is not from Fishmech

pageantry

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ErIog posted:

Do you always flip out this much when somebody gives you a small clarification?

Your frame of reference for what is happening here is absolutely fascinating, go ahead and adjust that to enthusiasm and you may be able to find the fault in your logic.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
A bridge was closed by Chris Christie, and with it, a presidential bid.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Nah, fishmech looking up decade old milk prices to try and disprove someone saying (in the course of making a completely different point) that they drank a lot of milk as a teen still tops it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

Nah, fishmech looking up decade old milk prices to try and disprove someone saying (in the course of making a completely different point) that they drank a lot of milk as a teen still tops it.

That fucker acted like drinking multiple gallons of milk a day was some kind of normal and cheap thing. He admitted he actually drank like a fuckin' quart at most.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nintendo Kid posted:

That fucker acted like drinking multiple gallons of milk a day was some kind of normal and cheap thing. He admitted he actually drank like a fuckin' quart at most.

Jesus Mary and Joseph you have literally no idea how real actual people communicate, do you?

You wear it like some sort of medal.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Link to this exchange please, I need detailed proof of how much of a liar this milk-drinker was.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

VitalSigns posted:

Link to this exchange please, I need detailed proof of how much of a liar this milk-drinker was.

It was pretty funny.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Jesus Mary and Joseph you have literally no idea how real actual people communicate, do you?

You wear it like some sort of medal.

The guy claimed it was acceptable to drink like double your daily caloric value per day in milk. It was strange and he was trying to use it to justify some other dumb argument.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

And he got shut the gently caress down with just a little research and forums posting elbow-grease.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Maybe he was just trying to get swole actually fat http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Spaceman Future! posted:

How would that matter to any GOP candidate? Its not an issue this cycle

As of a month ago, marijuana legalization will be on the ballot in Nevada in 2016. Chances are good that California, Arizona, Maine and Massachusetts will get ballot initiatives as well.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Pohl posted:

I moved to California and was really excited to try it but, meh. It wasn't that great, in fact it was barely palatable. The burger was ok, but the fries were complete poo poo. The restaurant was packed, and I still don't get what is so drat great about it. I feel like I need to go back and try it again just in case I had a bad experience.

I heard so much about it and was exited to try it but it sucks. All of my midwestern colleagues forgo actually-good restaurants that serve good food to get a loving in and out burger at least once per visit. I hate fast food but in and out is like... the best poo poo-tier fast food there is. It's still poo poo-tier though. It's poo poo food. We have like, thai, ramen, mexican, italian, mediterranean, pho, steak, restaurant burgers (not poo poo fast food burgers) in walking distance, and they can expense food, but they drive to loving in and out. What the hell.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

As of a month ago, marijuana legalization will be on the ballot in Nevada in 2016. Chances are good that California, Arizona, Maine and Massachusetts will get ballot initiatives as well.

Remember the whole "first gay president" thing with Obama? I want to see a Time cover of Hills with a giant glowing pot leaf behind her and the tagline "the first stoner president"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It seems gay marriage managed to spread across America mostly as a state-by-state thing, in no small part assisted by the Obama Administration being quietly supportive, to the point that even if a Republican President were to win in 2016 and immediately try to crack down on states where gay marriage has now been legal for years it'd be wildly unpopular and be met with stiff resistance.

I imagine if Hillary proves similarly compliant and unwilling to crack down on Washington and Colorado, allowing more states to effectively legalize marijuana, legalization could reach a similar place in eight years where a Republican would find rolling all that state-level change back would be too daunting.

Maybe my grasp on the history here isn't as strong as it could be, but it seems these days a lot of controversial issues don't get decided nationwide with sweeping federal decisions, like Roe v. Wade or the Civil Rights Act. They just sort of creep up into being, one state at a time, until there's two parallel Americas each of whom are allowed to get away with whatever they want so long as they don't try to force the other states to comply.

• Locked thread