Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The wait was because the translator's in the middle of an urgent commission, so he had to juggle his freelance work alongside the three weeklies, being the stubborn man that he is :colbert: Nin2 was translated last, and unfortunately the rest of Team Nin2 is busy on weekdays, so we had to wait for people to be available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
What a lovely way to end what could have been one of the best plotlines in the series with Ninjadad

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really digging the Kakuranger and Hurricanger remixes from this episode. Very classy

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
List all the sentai where someone wants to surpass Red.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Stallion Cabana posted:

What a lovely way to end what could have been one of the best plotlines in the series with Ninjadad

"Being in a situation where I could have helped if I had powers made me realize that I'm fine with not having powers."

Man I was really hoping that his desire to be able to use ninjutsu would actually be a recurring thing in the series but nope guess it's over now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Being in a situation where I could have helped if I had powers made me realize that I'm fine with not having powers."

Man I was really hoping that his desire to be able to use ninjutsu would actually be a recurring thing in the series but nope guess it's over now.

Use the Ninja Storm method. "I can't be a ninja? Fine, I'm a samurai then."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh wow, even the crossover episode was Takaharu-centric. I must admit, I respect the sheer effort they're putting in shoving Takaharu down our throats.

I just really don't enjoy it. Kyoryuger was more subtle about being Red-centric and it was a series where even the non-Daigo episodes had everyone shouting "where's Daigo".

Next week, finally a Fuuka episode! Which I don't doubt will be entirely about Takaharu.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh wow, even the crossover episode was Takaharu-centric. I must admit, I respect the sheer effort they're putting in shoving Takaharu down our throats.

I just really don't enjoy it. Kyoryuger was more subtle about being Red-centric and it was a series where even the non-Daigo episodes had everyone shouting "where's Daigo".

Next week, finally a Fuuka episode! Which I don't doubt will be entirely about Takaharu.

The crossover needed more ninjas

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The crossover needed more ninjas

Also Akaranger's cameo felt kind of pointless and I wished they found someway to use the Kakuranger/Hurrricanger mechs somehow, maybe let the shurikens transform Shurikenjin into one of the mechs instead of just using the same techniques the rangers did.

Personally, I felt the Dino teamup was handled a little better. Even if it was at the expense of the Go-Busters.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 16, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Blaze Dragon posted:

the preview already makes it pretty clear it's going to be about Fuuka dealing with Takaharu, so yeah, I'm imagining 10% Fuuka, 90% Takaharu.

I realize it's only episode 8 counting next week but how many non-Takaharu episodes have we even had? episode 2, and like kind of Episode 5 or whenever UFO-maru was? Even Yellow's episode was about how he wasn't as good at Yakumo and Takaharu and needed to stop trying to learn everything from books.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hopefully there will be a bigger crossover later in a movie or something because I'd really like to see characters like Jiraiya and Nanami again (also Ninjaman and Shurikenger with his original actor but that might be too much to ask). I'm surprised HurricaneBlue's actress didn't make an appearance at least seeing as she's at least come back to voice the character in nearly every major appearance she's made, including Akibaranger if I'm remembering correctly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uh

So

That's going to be a thing apparently

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

Uh

So

That's going to be a thing apparently

Is that an Ultraman who makes armor out of Kaiju parts, or something? :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

Is that an Ultraman who makes armor out of Kaiju parts, or something? :allears:

I swear to God it looks like it.

He looks like freaking War Greymon from Digimon, but wearing Gomora armor. It's kind of beautiful.

At first I was confused and didn't realize what was going on and just kinda thought he looked dumb in the armor. Then I realized what the armor WAS and it sold me so hard.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stallion Cabana posted:

I realize it's only episode 8 counting next week but how many non-Takaharu episodes have we even had? episode 2, and like kind of Episode 5 or whenever UFO-maru was? Even Yellow's episode was about how he wasn't as good at Yakumo and Takaharu and needed to stop trying to learn everything from books.

The UFO-maru episode was ostensibly a Kasumi episode, but Takaharu was still spotlighted. He stumbled on the way to beat the monster, he got the buddy shuriken and he piloted Shurikenjin in the final fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And we all had such high hopes for Disco Ninja Ranger.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't care if red gets more focus on the others as long as they don't portray him as a sueish "can do no wrong" character. And thats exactly what they've been doing. It actually feels more organic to me than single-character centric episodes where the show randomly focuses on one member of the team for an episode and then the stuff they did is just never brought up again. We used to get those things all the time in the 80s/90s and even up to the present to a limited extent.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It would also help if the guy playing Takaharu was a better actor, every time he yells that he's getting fired up it just sounds so fake and half-hearted. If he actually could pull off playing the character better I think it'd go a lot further in making him likable or at least more tolerable.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Twelve by Pies posted:

It would also help if the guy playing Takaharu was a better actor, every time he yells that he's getting fired up it just sounds so fake and half-hearted. If he actually could pull off playing the character better I think it'd go a lot further in making him likable or at least more tolerable.

Someone mentioned it sounded like he was talking through his nose a week ago and I'm starting to agree; he sounds so nasally when he walks up to the camera, looks directly at it, and tells you how he's getting fired up.

Also I would kind of argue that he is kind of being portrayed relatively 'sue-ish'ly. What are his flaws, really? He does bad on tests but then in a real battle situation excels? That's not really a flaw; the reverse is kind of a Flaw, but 'I only do good when it actually matters' kind of isn't. He has trouble with teamwork but outside of Gabi Raizou has never really had an issue because of it, because he beats up the monsters anyway? Sure he's ended up trapped by the Spider, but he got busted out by Grandpa and himself, rather then by the team. The most obvious one was when he was fighting Gabi in the Tengu's Space, and the others had to break him out, I guess.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 18, 2015

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I liked Toqger better.

At least Right was a loveable doof even if he was a doof.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

Someone mentioned it sounded like he was talking through his nose a week ago and I'm starting to agree; he sounds so nasally when he walks up to the camera, looks directly at it, and tells you how he's getting fired up.

Also I would kind of argue that he is kind of being portrayed relatively 'sue-ish'ly. What are his flaws, really? He does bad on tests but then in a real battle situation excels? That's not really a flaw; the reverse is kind of a Flaw, but 'I only do good when it actually matters' kind of isn't. He has trouble with teamwork but outside of Gabi Raizou has never really had an issue because of it, because he beats up the monsters anyway? Sure he's ended up trapped by the Spider, but he got busted out by Grandpa and himself, rather then by the team. The most obvious one was when he was fighting Gabi in the Tengu's Space, and the others had to break him out, I guess.
Daigo's weakness was literally "I have no weaknesses to overcome", and he still feels less sue-ish than Takaharu.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That's probably because Daigo was willing to work together with his friends, and they were portrayed as competent as well. Ninninger has a problem of Takaharu constantly doing things on his own (they had to do the oden thing twice because he forgot it) and the others are portrayed as a lot less skilled in actual combat even if they do better on the tests. It makes him feel like, even when he does do the teamwork thing, that it's more "Oh well I guess I need to hold myself back because you guys aren't as good as me."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's bad because it'd be really easy to set up every character with different skills (Takaharu is the best fighter, Yakumo is cool-headed and can use magic, Nagi has a lot of book knowledge, Kasumi is the tech-savvy one and also cool-headed, Fuuka has potential but lacks training). Instead, it comes across as Takaharu being the best and no one else mattering. Kasumi's tech skill was only useful in her own episode, Yakumo's magic seemed entirely forgotten until the crossover (and even there was used for a gag instead of actual combat), Nagi's book knowledge is a weakness, and Fuuka seems to just be poo poo at everything.

Even in this episode, where Takaharu was with two far more experienced and skilled ninja (being, you know, old Reds), he ends up coming across as the best. He cuts a super version of the attack no one could stop before, survives despite everyone expecting him to be dead, and gets the last blow alone. What was the point in bringing NinjaRed and HurricaneRed back? Making Takaharu look even better?

Bad writing is bad writing, and Ninninger is suffering from it. The character writing is usually really good, but Takaharu is a massive black hole for both spotlight and characterization and it hurts the series far more than it has any right to.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's probably because Daigo was willing to work together with his friends, and they were portrayed as competent as well. Ninninger has a problem of Takaharu constantly doing things on his own (they had to do the oden thing twice because he forgot it) and the others are portrayed as a lot less skilled in actual combat even if they do better on the tests. It makes him feel like, even when he does do the teamwork thing, that it's more "Oh well I guess I need to hold myself back because you guys aren't as good as me."

Also I'm starting to get to the realization that Daigo actually did have a flaw, and it was that he would basically get too caught up on minor things and suffer for it, or even sometimes he would just get way too hotheaded and excited and get punished for it. There were a couple of different episodes where he would get way too emotional at the bad guy and end up getting trashed pretty bad. That and being way too trusting sometimes.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Finally a clear picture.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
We're getting Robo-Matryoshka in here.

Robot's piloting robot's piloting robots.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This is why BoukenRed is the best Red, to me: he was presented as the best of the team, but the show made it clear that was due to his experience more than anything else, and that experience meant he didn't take up too much of the spotlight since there wasn't any room left for him to progress. Boukenger is as much Masumi's show as Akashi's, and you could even legitimately call him the real main character. It was an interesting twist on things.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Cernunnos posted:

We're getting Robo-Matryoshka in here.

Robot's piloting robot's piloting robots.

Keep in mind that this is only the Q3 catalog too. We haven't even hit peak roboception.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah with the way the robot's arms look on the right side of that picture it seems like maybe there's an even bigger robot that it pilots, and if so then that will almost make up for the show so far.

Also there's still hope that Burger Ninja will increase the quality of the show.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah with the way the robot's arms look on the right side of that picture it seems like maybe there's an even bigger robot that it pilots, and if so then that will almost make up for the show so far.

Also there's still hope that Burger Ninja will increase the quality of the show.

God that toy will be crazy.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

jivjov posted:

I'm really digging the Kakuranger and Hurricanger remixes from this episode. Very classy

The music guys are unsung heroes. Gokaiger's remixes of themes could be pretty fantastic.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Actually there's a pretty solid chance were gonna be looking at some other combined form that rides Lion HaOh somehow. Shurikenjin has clips on the side of his legs that haven't been used yet.

Basically look forward to another parade float ala Shinkenger. It will be glorious.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's probably because Daigo was willing to work together with his friends, and they were portrayed as competent as well.

I think this finally hits home what's been bothering me about Ninninger, it isn't that Takaharu is being put over more than the rest of the cast, it's that he's being put over at the expense of the rest of the cast. Kyoryuger's approach to its cast was basically right there in the tagline "The strongest and bravest in history", and they wanted you to know it and believe it. Daigo might have been sold as basically "the most strongest and bravest", but the Kyoryugers all had episodes where they got to show off and be cool. The reason why the rare 10-member role was so great was because the show had spend quite a lot of time putting over every single Kyoryuger, so having the whole team show up to fight together was a huge pop. Super Sentai has usually gone with the idea that the Red Ranger is the best on the team, but I think this is the first time where I've really seen the show denigrate the rest of the cast.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I gotta say, Ninninger really has been disappointing as hell so far, for all the reasons people have been saying. :( Maybe StarNinger will redeem things?

I think I'm gonna restart Kyoryuger again soon. I forgot why I never finished but it was so much better then this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I gotta say, Ninninger really has been disappointing as hell so far, for all the reasons people have been saying. :( Maybe StarNinger will redeem things?

I think I'm gonna restart Kyoryuger again soon. I forgot why I never finished but it was so much better then this.
It loses some momentum in the third quarter and the finale is a bit red centric? My guess, at least.

Edit I just remembered that TVN decided to translate the lead in for the Kyoryuger role call as "you'll be surprised when you hear!". Because yes, that is exactly the right phrasing to portray the tone and intent of that line. :jerkbag:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 20, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

It loses some momentum in the third quarter and the finale is a bit red centric? My guess, at least.

Edit I just remembered that TVN decided to translate the lead in for the Kyoryuger role call as "you'll be surprised when you hear!". Because yes, that is exactly the right phrasing to portray the tone and intent of that line. :jerkbag:

It just sounds so drat awkward and dorky. "Hear our roar" isn't an exact translation, but it's a hell of a lot closer in tone.

Kyoryu's my favorite sentai though, so I'm of course a bit bias. It's hella Red-centric, but Daigo is absolutely the man so that's fine and the team as a whole is so good. I'm so happy they made the Bounty Hunters movie just so we could see'em once more than we otherwise would've.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
TV-N doesn't understand the concept of tone and translating for an audience. You don't go to a movie with professional translations in it and find a bunch of inane poo poo and TL notes. Not everyone wants to learn Japanese, and TVN isn't even good at translating to begin with.

I don't know why there's a shocker that most Sentai revolves around red. Red has always been the leader and leading role of every single series for decades, it's like that for every single one of them.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Flameingblack posted:

I don't know why there's a shocker that most Sentai revolves around red. Red has always been the leader and leading role of every single series for decades, it's like that for every single one of them.

Yeah, but he's usually not such a dead-center Shonen protagonist. He's even got that "ugh, I'm so bad at school things but what I'm really good at is battling monsters" thing going.

Usually when Red is a Mary Sue, he's kind of a backseat Mary Sue that plays off the rest of the team, like Daigo or Akashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Shinkenger had the most reason to make it red centric (Lord and his 4 vassals) but the rest of the crew including his "father-figure" were evenly developed throughout the show.

• Locked thread