Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
get in a M13 gun carrage, get a buddy or two in M13 too, get API belts for everyone. Then drive around in a pack yelling YOLO! every time you round corners and open fire on people. It's surprisingly effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Plan Z posted:

US .50 cals can do that type of thing early on, and Pz. IIs have autocannons that can fire successive rounds.

I've had success in killing the lightest tanks like the T-26 and Panzer II with the .50 cal machine guns on my Sherman squad. They can still cause injury to crew members with shots through driver's ports and damage optics all the way up to Tigers, though you'll need to put a good amount of ammo into it. Plus the amount of particle effects on your victim's tank will drop the frame rate on people with worse performance.

kashbrok
Jul 11, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I'll have to try those .50 cals out. I tried out the Pz. IIs already. They don't have nearly the fire speed/ammo belt size but I guess they don't have the painful reload either. I realize it's a weapon/strat that obviously won't work in higher tiers when everyone actually has armor.

The later tier AA trucks generally have AP/APCR rounds that can be extremely effective at pissing in peoples cheerios. The Russian ZSUs are an excellent. The rage that comes out of murdering Tigers with the ZSU is classic good times.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Do shots to optics/damage to viewports actually do anything to tank performance though?

It'd be cool if damaging gunner optics gave them a hosed up zoom aim view or something.

Side note getting a Talisman for the Jumbo 76 was a good investment. Definitely is making the grind for the Pershing a fair bit less painful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Even if you can't gently caress up a Tiger or Panther with your AA gun, a ton of drivers are really dumb and actively stop firing on tanks to try and shoot the .50 cal that's plinking off their armor almost harmlessly. I've even seen a Tiger turn to machine gun my M16 in the middle of its duel with a T-34.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

chitoryu12 posted:

Even if you can't gently caress up a Tiger or Panther with your AA gun, a ton of drivers are really dumb and actively stop firing on tanks to try and shoot the .50 cal that's plinking off their armor almost harmlessly. I've even seen a Tiger turn to machine gun my M16 in the middle of its duel with a T-34.

All that matters is your K/D rate, so obviously you would go for the easy kill. That's also why you swoop on the first crabbing P51 in air matches.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

kashbrok posted:

The later tier AA trucks generally have AP/APCR rounds that can be extremely effective at pissing in peoples cheerios. The Russian ZSUs are an excellent. The rage that comes out of murdering Tigers with the ZSU is classic good times.

Ah, good to know that being the obviously ignored little tin can with an AA gun of death will still be effective later on.

I love how every now and then I get a moment like a STUG adamantly ignoring the tiny little T-60 spewing hate at him until he dies. Had that happen last night where the STUG obviously saw me, looked at me, and then dismissed me last night, only for me to run right up next to him and kill him by bullet erosion. I'm guessing one of my first shots ruined his track as he kept shooting off into the distance and never tried to turn to face me.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Gepard can be incredibly effective so long as you use HVAP or API belts and do not engage more than one thing at a time. You have effectively unlimited ammunition, are pretty quick and can keep up almost constant fire which penetrates just about anything at its BR (if you get uptiered it might be bad).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Gepard can be incredibly effective so long as you use HVAP or API belts and do not engage more than one thing at a time. You have effectively unlimited ammunition, are pretty quick and can keep up almost constant fire which penetrates just about anything at its BR (if you get uptiered it might be bad).

As an added bonus in CARB, the Gepard is also a perfectly good AA vehicle. I am absolutely terrible at hitting planes from the ground, though. I have a much harder time getting a sense of distance and lead in an AA vehicle.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Jade Star posted:

get in a M13 gun carrage, get a buddy or two in M13 too, get API belts for everyone. Then drive around in a pack yelling YOLO! every time you round corners and open fire on people. It's surprisingly effective.

This is actually hilariously fun and BT's (among other tanks that low BR) don't bounce .50 API-T for poo poo. Lots of hits, lots of pens, lots of dead crewmen and damaged components.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I haven't seen it mentioned on here but they have updated the list of battle rating changes due to player feedback and have delayed implementing them until tomorrow. Thread is here: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/232319-battle-rating-economy-changes-16042015

Can't remember off the top of my head all the biggest changes, but ones that stand out to me are the 190 A5 and D12 aren't getting bumped up, the Ki-43-III Otsu is getting bumped down, and the XP-50 is getting a huge reduction. Nothing noteworthy appears to have changed with tanks.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Also 109G2 isn't moving up. That one Zero isn't getting bumped up. F8F-1 is moving up.

Seems pretty good overall. Except moving the 190D9 up, idk why they are doing that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How terrible is the XP55? I have a love of lovely weird planes and I've been tempted to get it to go with my XP50.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some times the damage model and how lucky people can be in this game can really piss you off.

I'm in a KV-1, I come up against a PzIV F2. I put a round through the upper part of his hull which kills three crew members, damages the gun breech and destroys the turret ring. That should leave him fairly crippled, right? Nope, he continues on for a second then brakes, lines up his turret and blows up my ammo with one shot. :argh:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lol the Pershing going from 2 to 1

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Ludicro posted:

XP-50 is getting a huge reduction

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Night10194 posted:

How terrible is the XP55? I have a love of lovely weird planes and I've been tempted to get it to go with my XP50.

It used to be kinda cool, it was okay at going fast but not very maneuverable. It ate a huge nerf a while back and now is just painful to fly.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Did they nerf the Tiger again? Wondering what the impetus is for this current Nazi seal clubbing air event.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Wooper posted:

Also 109G2 isn't moving up. That one Zero isn't getting bumped up. F8F-1 is moving up.

Seems pretty good overall. Except moving the 190D9 up, idk why they are doing that.

P47 still 3.0 in arcade :getin:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lol the Pershing going from 2 to 1

Probably a good change, but it makes me sad. The Pershing is just so good.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Here's a video from the old absolute sim events in which a T-34-85 juggles Tigers while Cool Music from Big O plays. Please imagine a waving Soviet flag fading in at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey9hZfM6dYk

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I unlocked the Pershing a few days ago and I haven't really been feeling it until I had this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIoIoqcAZnY

I think im in love

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

So much for having a bit of fun in the events. Constantly getting stuck on the opposite side against a 4-squad of Goons and then always bumping into them with my lovely selection of tanks that I never use.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Blistex posted:

I would kill for some more Mozdok action
I'll gladly trade you my endless Mozdok rounds* for your FIBUA in Poland/Eastern Europe

*invariably against Tiger IIs and IS2-1944s that can one-shot my best tank (M4A3E2 76W) from just about any angle without leaving their spawn

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Sard posted:

Here's a video from the old absolute sim events in which a T-34-85 juggles Tigers while Cool Music from Big O plays. Please imagine a waving Soviet flag fading in at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey9hZfM6dYk
A good video.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well tried my first RB today. Went pretty poorly! Planes turn like molasses compared to arcade- you guys weren't kidding. Turns out I can't aim for poo poo without that lead indicator either. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't get discouraged! You can and will adjust. What were you flying?

Also, don't be afraid to go into test fly mode to get used to flying whatever plane. Learn what you can and can't do, how fast it can dive before breaking up and when/if it'll snap its wings in a high-speed turn. On the same note, don't be afraid to do some kind of AI custom thing to practice your gunnery.

Roumba posted:

A good video.

Indeed, and it reminded me I need to throw Big-O's soundtrack onto my Google Play. Such a good soundtrack.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 16, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think I took out a stock BF 109 F-1. I really enjoy energy fighting in this game, but I know I need to master my flight maneuvers better to get the most out of that flying style.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Siets posted:

I think I took out a stock BF 109 F-1. I really enjoy energy fighting in this game, but I know I need to master my flight maneuvers better to get the most out of that flying style.

It's a great plane and with practice you'll do great. RB is a ton of fun once you get over the initial humps.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

The arcade event:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I don't know what it is about BR 5 Russian tanks, but they loving hate me. I cannot win a single game right now in my IS-1 or SU-152, whereas BR 4 or BR 7 I find it difficult to lose a game.

I think it's the fact most people try to fight Jumbos and Tigers frontally every time they see them, and melt away before I even have a chance to do anything.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Not surprising. That's about the BR where penetration can be a problem with some of the Russian guns, and the lack of gun depression on Soviet tanks starts getting really irritating. Take time to practice the SU-152, because the ISUs are more of the same. They're solid enough for what they do, but holy poo poo their transmissions might just be worse than the Panther's.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Not surprising. That's about the BR where penetration can be a problem with some of the Russian guns, and the lack of gun depression on Soviet tanks starts getting really irritating. Take time to practice the SU-152, because the ISUs are more of the same. They're solid enough for what they do, but holy poo poo their transmissions might just be worse than the Panther's.

Once I hit the T-54 line I'm not sure I'll ever actually play the ISUs, the Su-100 gets a pass because it's reasonably quick and the gun makes up for any other problem there, but I really don't like turretless shitboxes.

The IS-1 is extra bad though because it feels as capable as the T-34/85 except it eats up 1.5x the spawn points to use so you can't follow it up with a Tu-2 as easily.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Mazz posted:

Once I hit the T-54 line I'm not sure I'll ever actually play the ISUs, the Su-100 gets a pass because it's reasonably quick and the gun makes up for any other problem there, but I really don't like turretless shitboxes.

The IS-1 is extra bad though because it feels as capable as the T-34/85 except it eats up 1.5x the spawn points to use so you can't follow it up with a Tu-2 as easily.

Now you understand why Russia was super disappointed in heavy tanks and TDs. The KV/IS bought it's existence because it mounted the 122mm gun, and SUs were easier to produce, even from what would be heavily damaged, knocked out tanks.

Americans also came to the same conclusion about TDs and heavies - why build them when your mediums are doing or are capable of doing all of that anyway?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mazz posted:

The points are what makes the ISU useful. It's dirt cheap. The 152mm isn't that great at the tier it sits in, but it's OK. The later guns are much better. It's not the best tank, but if you know how and where to ambush people, you can use it to leverage yourself into something better.

Unless you're on something like Mozdok or whatever where it's pretty easy to spot the big ugly box trying to hide.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

FaustianQ posted:

Now you understand why Russia was super disappointed in heavy tanks and TDs. The KV/IS bought it's existence because it mounted the 122mm gun, and SUs were easier to produce, even from what would be heavily damaged, knocked out tanks.

Americans also came to the same conclusion about TDs and heavies - why build them when your mediums are doing or are capable of doing all of that anyway?

I understand the reality of it, it's more that I'm a huge loving sperg that is trying to both spade the trees while caring about my stats. The pair mentioned are the only 2 I have under 60% and they are only getting worse because I've won like 3 of 10 games tonight, mostly due to my team evaporating and them being too slow or immobile to break open a flank like I try to do in all my mediums/Su-100. I will say you could probably drop the IS-1 down to 5.0/5.3 and it wouldn't hurt anything though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The points are what makes the ISU useful. It's dirt cheap. The 152mm isn't that great at the tier it sits in, but it's OK. The later guns are much better. It's not the best tank, but if you know how and where to ambush people, you can use it to leverage yourself into something better.

I have a habit of getting my bomber up as my second vehicle since the Russians get a whole tree of agile bombsight planes, I've taken a liking to the SB-2s because 6x100kg individuals are actually pretty good when you have a bomb cursor and turn like an La-5 :v:. So I'm either completely dry of spawn points or loaded in them by the time I get to my third spawn.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 16, 2015

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Ok so I got that premium Russian Sherman and I like it. But I think the T34/57 mod 43 is the better premium tank.

The only advantage the Sherman has is the gun depression. The marginally better armor on it isn't worth anything at the BR they're both at.

I think the T34 has the better gun though. The 57mm has a second tier APHE round which has only slightly less pen than the 76mm APCR but with the benefit of a behind armor explosion. The 57mm APCR round is great and will pen pretty much anything in their BR frontally. On top of that it has such a flat trajectory and high rate of fire that it is easy to shoot from point blank out to long range.

I like having them both though, maximises grinding towards the T54.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Execu-speak posted:

Ok so I got that premium Russian Sherman and I like it. But I think the T34/57 mod 43 is the better premium tank.

The only advantage the Sherman has is the gun depression. The marginally better armor on it isn't worth anything at the BR they're both at.

I think the T34 has the better gun though. The 57mm has a second tier APHE round which has only slightly less pen than the 76mm APCR but with the benefit of a behind armor explosion. The 57mm APCR round is great and will pen pretty much anything in their BR frontally. On top of that it has such a flat trajectory and high rate of fire that it is easy to shoot from point blank out to long range.

But fighting against things that you can penetrate on both, the 76mm will have bigger boom with it's APHE. I find the 57mm to be too weak behind the armor usually.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Execu-speak posted:

The Soviet M4A2 does not have APCR though? The M4A2 also has a hilariously higher post penetration survival rate, the T-34 57 (both) is comparatively more volatile and really prone to getting complete hosed on the first shot. To be fair, the APCR for the mod43 is wonderful and honestly the tank should have been on the tree. Russia has other options for premium for that slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks for recommending OBS, It's pretty simple to use and I didn't notice much of a performance hit :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-fcSSPzJcU

• Locked thread