Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's on Netflix, even the somewhat meandering beginning of the first season is going to be fine when you binge through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I just thought of something. We're building up to a crossover with Age of Ultron, Dethlok is following one of the guys experimenting with creating Enhanced, Coulson is building a large barracks/prison/dormatory/something-that-needs-cots, maybe Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch aren't the only experiments and Coulson is planning a large-scale rescue. As folks have said, Coulson's School for Gifted Youngsters, my idea is just where these characters may come from.

Yeah my assumption was Coulson's sideproject is somehow Ultron related, but it sounds unlikely given that I think it's confirmed that he won't appear in Avengers 2 at all?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

double negative posted:

I tried to check out this show right from jump and quickly realized I wanted nothing to do with it. Daredevil, however, has got me hooked back into Marvel's television efforts, and while I recognize that they're much different shows, I've heard that Agents improves drastically in quality, so I'm thinking about trying to wade back in. What episodes can I skip/where should I get back in?

I would say the actually important/good episodes are 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 10, 11, then from 14 onward just watch everything. You will be missing a few plot threads here and there probably (though I'm pretty sure the show always does the relevant 'previously on''s, so pay attention during those once you're skipping a lot) while you will skip the more boring filler episodes.

You won't quite understand the show as well as if you'd watched every episode. Pretty much everything in the first season, boring though many parts may be., comes up again at some point. But if you really wanna blast through it as fast as possible then if you follow that order you should be alright. 4, 6, and 7 are kinda skippable in terms of story importance but I think they're the best early episodes and I think most people would agree, and together they'll give you a pretty good coverage of the "mission of the week" part of the show as well as character development.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah my assumption was Coulson's sideproject is somehow Ultron related, but it sounds unlikely given that I think it's confirmed that he won't appear in Avengers 2 at all?

My theory is that Ultron is using SHIELD to set up a bunch of poo poo and Coulson is investigating/stopping it without knowing what it actually is. The Ultron in the MCU is going to have a pretty different origin than in the comics, at least thats what it seems like so far.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So like, if the whole Skye's Mom thing is supposed to be kept secret, why did they even let Lincoln just walk in on Skye and her mom and dad having a family dinner

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Coulson is setting up places to train gifted people. So it might be something like Avengers Academy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Codependent Poster posted:

Coulson is setting up places to train gifted people. So it might be something like Avengers Academy.

They're tying it in with 'Powers' and he's building the shaft

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
That last transition with the "PRESENT DAY" super was so goddamned unnecessary.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Coulson is just building a giant bedroom for all the Koenigs so they can game with a LAN instead of the internet. It's the only way to really be competitive.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
We don't actually know what Coulson is doing. The assumption that he's making a facility for powered people is from REALSHIELD, and we have no evidence that they didn't just jump at that conclusion because they're racist against Inhumanity. It's entirely possible that, say, running a giant, world-protecting secret agency requires secrecy and also large buildings in various places.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, but, If the answer is just 'we needed extra bunk space' then that's really stupid.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

FirstAidKite posted:

So like, if the whole Skye's Mom thing is supposed to be kept secret, why did they even let Lincoln just walk in on Skye and her mom and dad having a family dinner

He walked in on an Inhuman elder supervising a dinner between her trainee and the trainee's crazy known crazy father.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"Costco had a sale on bunkbeds. I couldn't afford NOT to buy a bunkers worth!"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

He walked in on an Inhuman elder supervising a dinner of Skye and her father.

The father was talking about the supervisor as his wife tho

Regardless, I guess he knows now and poo poo's gonna happen when Reina figures it out too I guess.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has there even been any foreshadowing of this theta protocol poo poo? I feel like it just got dropped now and they're like "yeah this whole time Coulson's been doing poo poo! Yeah!"

reply is not edit whoops

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

The father was talking about the supervisor as his wife tho

Regardless, I guess he knows now and poo poo's gonna happen when Reina figures it out too I guess.

I'll have to rewatch the scene, but I'm pretty sure that he did not say anything in front of Lincoln, and he doesn't know.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

mikeraskol posted:

I'll have to rewatch the scene, but I'm pretty sure that he did not say anything in front of Lincoln, and he doesn't know.

Yeah I was watching for this as well, and I'm pretty sure he didn't say anything specifically to indicate she was his wife. I think he was even specifically referring to her in third person as if she wasn't in the room looking right at him.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Thanks to Ambien and fear of Ambien knocking out my memory-generation systems for a while, I put watching this episode off until just now. God drat, what a good episode. And I hope to poo poo that's not the last of Cal being happy we ever see. He just wanted to give daisys to his daughter with his scarred-up Inhuman wife.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think the thing we're supposed to take away from that scene is that Reina is going to figure out the family secret and tell everyone because she's now precognitive in addition to being spiny. Lincoln will tell Reina that her dreams and coming true and it will spiral from there.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
While I wouldn't really be surprised or complain if they DID go with that plot, just learning that it was precognitive isn't going to actually give Raina enough to go on to figure out that Jiaying is Skye's mom because it'd make sense that Skye's guide would be there when Skye is meeting with her crazy dad.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

reignonyourparade posted:

While I wouldn't really be surprised or complain if they DID go with that plot, just learning that it was precognitive isn't going to actually give Raina enough to go on to figure out that Jiaying is Skye's mom because it'd make sense that Skye's guide would be there when Skye is meeting with her crazy dad.

Well I don't think that alone will be all the evidence that Raina gets., they'll probably build it up with some more dreams and I'd guess that Skye will have another interaction with her and let some information about her past slip.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FirstAidKite posted:

Has there even been any foreshadowing of this theta protocol poo poo? I feel like it just got dropped now and they're like "yeah this whole time Coulson's been doing poo poo! Yeah!"
Nope. E: Maybe one mention before the last few episodes?

Fury's Toolbox only really started being an actual MacGuffin in this half of the season as well (it had a few blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearances earlier though).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 16, 2015

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Ambivalent posted:

Worth mentioning. Jiaying specifically mentioned that Eva stole a bunch of Terrigen crystals. She obviously used one on her daughter. What happened to the others? Were they confiscated by Shield (Hydra?) in Bahrain? The one that created Skye and Raina was found by Whitehall in the 40s. Sif and her Kree pal were after some crystals as well.

I'm just wondering if this a nod that there are some crystals out in play somewhere.

Well yeah and the fact that when they went looking for the Crystal cache they found an empty box with Crystal shaped holes in it.
The fact that there are crystals out in play is sort of a major plot point.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

Well yeah and the fact that when they went looking for the Crystal cache they found an empty box with Crystal shaped holes in it.
The fact that there are crystals out in play is sort of a major plot point.

Before this episode it was entirely possible that they were JUST in "orthodox" inhuman hands, seeing as Gordon has one and (presumably Jiaying) whoever he was on the phone with PROBABLY has one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bio347 posted:

We don't actually know what Coulson is doing. The assumption that he's making a facility for powered people is from REALSHIELD, and we have no evidence that they didn't just jump at that conclusion because they're racist against Inhumanity. It's entirely possible that, say, running a giant, world-protecting secret agency requires secrecy and also large buildings in various places.

Didn't they say he had spent more on his secret project than what he spent on his version of SHIELD? :homebrew:

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I wonder how many innocent animals Skye killed with that avalanche.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Piriwi posted:

THAT WASN'T HER AIM!!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:regd08:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

reply is not edit whoops

Didn't Coulson tell Kennig to go back to the base and enact Theta protocols if they don't make it back from the city?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Theta Protocol is for all the Koenigs to turn themselves into stand-up comics and start showing up in films and TV and movies.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Theta Protocol is for all the Koenigs to turn themselves into stand-up comics and start showing up in films and TV and movies.

Coulson is the greatest monster in human history.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Piriwi posted:

I bet her mom will wait until she comes to terms with what she has become and feels all Zen about it.
And then break the news that she destroyed a bear family and killed a bunch of skiers too.
Just for funsies.

Jokes aside, this was a great episode. I am not sure if they will be able to keep on showing Cal's well meaning - old self side, but it's amazing to me that they can pull off scenes like the dinner one, where you get the glimpses of him being happy for the right reasons.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Regarding season 1 watchlist, I'm assuming you're watching the Marvel movies, but if you aren't at least watch Cap 2 immediately before the episode called Turn Turn Turn because otherwise a bunch of stuff might lack some impact

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't Coulson tell Kennig to go back to the base and enact Theta protocols if they don't make it back from the city?

According to IMDB, Patton Oswalt comes back next week and the following week, in eps 18 & 19.

His last appearance is ep 10, when they go into the city. The exact scene is:

Tripp: "Where has your brother been hiding?"
Sam: "Well, all this excitement fried his circuits, his cooling system kicked in and he's recharging his batteries." :smug:
Tripp: "I know what you're doing."
Coulson: "I want you and Billy to immediately return to HQ. If things go radically south here, I'll need you to implement the Theta Protocol."
Sam: "Sir..."
Coulson: "That's an order, Agent Koenig."

I think that was a 100% honest answer, and the Koenigs aren't clones or anything like that, they're Life Model Decoys.

As to what Theta Protocol is...

Maybe it's a Secret Warriors thing. Maybe it's something else. But clearly Coulson intends for it to go through even if he, Coulson, is killed. That makes it clearly some kind of long-term plan he is working on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I find it hilarious the character most freaked out by the Koenig's is named Triplet

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Keshik posted:

According to IMDB, Patton Oswalt comes back next week and the following week, in eps 18 & 19.

Sam: "Well, all this excitement fried his circuits, his cooling system kicked in and he's recharging his batteries." :smug:
Coulson: "I want you and Billy to immediately return to HQ. If things go radically south here, I'll need you to implement the Theta Protocol."

I think that was a 100% honest answer, and the Koenigs aren't clones or anything like that, they're Life Model Decoys.

Maybe it's a Secret Warriors thing. Maybe it's something else. But clearly Coulson intends for it to go through even if he, Coulson, is killed. That makes it clearly some kind of long-term plan he is working on.

The way they set up the whole Coulson's secret plan thing was pretty subtle. There's a scene early in the season where May takes him to task for going out and doing all of the recruiting alone, and he kind of blows it off. Then there's the Theta Protocol thing you just mentioned. It basically sounds like typical spy-gibberish, kind of nice that it's turning out not to be.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Keshik posted:

Thanks for pulling this together. I didn't know Oswalt was coming back next episode, I guess we know that the Theta poo poo is hitting the fan.

Right now I'm consistently surprised at the subtle way the writers have connected things and called back to previous episodes, from this Theta thing to Raina now being clairvoyant.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone was mentioning us only ever seeing Coulson lock-up or kill powered people, but since the Theta Protocol team or whatever it's going to be is presumably the spin-off it makes perfect sense if they're all new characters anyway.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have to hand it to them, Skye's power is perfect for TV. The effects budget can range from pulling things apart on an atomic level, to just shaking the camera. It fits all scenarios.

Apoplexy posted:

Thanks to Ambien and fear of Ambien knocking out my memory-generation systems for a while, I put watching this episode off until just now. God drat, what a good episode. And I hope to poo poo that's not the last of Cal being happy we ever see. He just wanted to give daisys to his daughter with his scarred-up Inhuman wife.

Ambien is legitimately horrifying. I've known a dozen people to be given prescriptions for it, and every single one has a horror story.

I wish you luck.

FirstAidKite posted:

I really thought that it was going to be revealed with the music and framing in that scene that he was going to be a villain, and possibly had poisoned them or something. I was kind of surprised when the dramatic music had nothing to do with that.

Xtanstic posted:

I kind of bet he has a small cameo with zero credit ahead of time just to surprise people. Not enough to confuse audience but enough for TV viewers to go "Hey! Coulson's in the background there!" Maybe I'll be wrong, but wouldn't be out of line with Marvel in general.

double negative posted:

I tried to check out this show right from jump and quickly realized I wanted nothing to do with it. Daredevil, however, has got me hooked back into Marvel's television efforts, and while I recognize that they're much different shows, I've heard that Agents improves drastically in quality, so I'm thinking about trying to wade back in. What episodes can I skip/where should I get back in?

They do a lot to call back to the crappy-ish first 16 episodes of the show that makes it feel, retroactively, like less of a waste - almost every monster, item, or tech of the week re-appears - but I was about to give up on the show before "Turn, Turn, Turn." Which I only checked out because of the AOS trailer in front of Winter Soldier that actually had me going "That looks interesting, and I want to see how they deal with all this."

So I gave the show another shot and at the same time, it began an upward spike in quality. It's a different show now almost from the ground up, with grown, 2.0 versions of the characters.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It is still pretty weird that Daisy's mom seems to have actually been stitched back together by the crazy rear end father/husband.

• Locked thread