Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Choco1980 posted:

The 90's were, in general, pretty lovely in retrospect. I say this as a guy who spent his entire teen years in that decade. Does that make me a 90's kid? I have zero good nostalgia for that decade.

Unprecedented prosperity (even if it was also the beginning of squeezing the Middle and Lower Class thanks to Outsourcing, which would bear fruits after 2000) and Consumerism, the beginning of many social liberal policies (DADT was a tremendous step forward from what was before, even if we see it as lovely now) and the Western world won all wars (which happened far away from the US) inside of weeks and overwhelmingly. The time of the PS1, Dreamcast and N64. Early Internet and Multimedia/Cyber buzzwords. The nostalgia for the Nineties is already pretty strong and will only increase the longer the lovely current situation goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Men's hairstyles were shamefully stupid-looking in the 90s and I hope that poo poo never comes back.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bobby Digital posted:

Denny's is pretty good on Twitter and should contract out their social media services to other businesses.

They do, basically all the good food twitters are run by the same agency.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
90s fashion was atrocious with the exception of the little blip in '99 or so when some of the hippie looks came back for a second

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There were some pseudo-50s styles (not the zoot suit poo poo that was popular for like a month) that were alright but it was usually combined with terrible haircuts and most dudes boiled it down to "ugly-rear end bowling shirt-style tops."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
90 chat: Is there any video or piece of media that someone can post that shows the definitive change from the 90s look to the 2000's look? I'm thinking of all those terrible video game ads and stuff from the 90s and how they had a distinct flavor and I know those kinds of things don't exist in the same style now....but I can't pin it to an exact time or date.

Anyone have examples of marketing progressing from the 80s/90s to today?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jastiger posted:

90 chat: Is there any video or piece of media that someone can post that shows the definitive change from the 90s look to the 2000's look? I'm thinking of all those terrible video game ads and stuff from the 90s and how they had a distinct flavor and I know those kinds of things don't exist in the same style now....but I can't pin it to an exact time or date.

I honestly think the best way to do this would be a time lapse of boyband music videos. Since boybands are first and foremost marketing platforms they are always decked out in the most gaudy fashionable styles, and since they are engineered to have different flavors of guy (the nerdy one, the sporty one, etc) they have a wide variety of styles.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
9/11 changed everything.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

PUGGERNAUT posted:

9/11 changed everything.

and Janet Jackson's nipple.

Also, the 90's were a weird time for fashion, because there was a major disconnect between how celebrities and commercials dressed and acted and how actual people did. Like, all that absurd stuff you see in retrospect to think "lol, 90's fashion" is almost always about ten times as outrageous as people ACTUALLY dressed at the time, ESPECIALLY in the early 90's with the ridiculous colors and way things fit.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
90s fashion always makes me think of both florescent green baseball hats and neon pink t-shirts, and the exact opposite with the grunge flannel look.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Re: corporate Twitter chat, DiGiorno accidentally making light of abusive relationships is my all-time favorite.

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/pizza-apologizes-to-victims-of-domestic-violence-1632536910/+robharvilla

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dr_Amazing posted:

90s fashion always makes me think of both florescent green baseball hats and neon pink t-shirts, and the exact opposite with the grunge flannel look.

It makes me think of jeans and sweaters two sizes too big.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Henchman of Santa posted:

Re: corporate Twitter chat, DiGiorno accidentally making light of abusive relationships is my all-time favorite.

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/pizza-apologizes-to-victims-of-domestic-violence-1632536910/+robharvilla
I am actually perfectly okay with how they handled that. Awkward and even hurtful mistakes like that will always happen, but I fail to read the apologies as anything but absolute and genuine.

EDIT: vvvvvv the article does not accept the apology, however.

Simply Simon has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Apr 16, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I am actually perfectly okay with how they handled that. Awkward and even hurtful mistakes like that will always happen, but I fail to read the apologies as anything but absolute and genuine.

No one is disputing that they're genuine. That's not why it's funny.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT: vvvvvv the article does not accept the apology, however.

Gawker is pro-domestic violence so whatever.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well it's no pearl harbour spaghettios tweet

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Wait, in Gilmore Girls? A lot of stupid stuff was said in that show, and it's been a few years since I've seen it, but I don't remember more than one episode even talking about gay people.

It's pretty casual. Little things like calling things that are annoying "that's gay," or just calling a man's masculinity into question being the same as being gay. Once I noticed it the first time, I couldn't help but notice it a bunch.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

9/11 changed everything.

Without any irony or sarcasm, this is absolutely true. If you had to specify a date where, both culturally and politically, the 90s ended and the Aughts (or whatever) began, 9/11 is it.

Aughts to 10s, however, is a lot more fuzzy. I think I'd put it somewhere in late 2008, with the recession and Obama's election, but I might be biased because that's also the year I started college.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FAROOQ posted:

Gawker is pro-domestic violence so whatever.

Based on?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pageviews.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Without any irony or sarcasm, this is absolutely true. If you had to specify a date where, both culturally and politically, the 90s ended and the Aughts (or whatever) began, 9/11 is it.

Aughts to 10s, however, is a lot more fuzzy. I think I'd put it somewhere in late 2008, with the recession and Obama's election, but I might be biased because that's also the year I started college.

For the yanks maybe, it was a pretty big deal sure, but it wasn't the hallmark of my life :S

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Davfff posted:

For the yanks maybe, it was a pretty big deal sure, but it wasn't the hallmark of my life :S

Sorry, but your culture revolves around our culture.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This is a surprisingly common misspelling, at least here in Malaysia. God knows how many times I've had to correct people on this.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Jastiger posted:

It's a bit gamey and techincal but there's a really detailed article somewhere on Gamasutra that deals with Sega's attempt to shoehorn both styles into the same marketing campaign with the Dreamcast's launch lineup (and how the campaign wound up falling completely flat due to mixed messages) but 20 minutes of searching hasn't turned it up. Hopefully someone else knows the title, it had a lot of good stuff about the Sonic franchise going off the rails into weird quasi-furry territory among other things.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I though I'd share some vintage dumb marketing ideas from the Great War days.

Similarly, American Civil War-era advertising from 1865:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

bucketmouse posted:

It's a bit gamey and techincal but there's a really detailed article somewhere on Gamasutra that deals with Sega's attempt to shoehorn both styles into the same marketing campaign with the Dreamcast's launch lineup (and how the campaign wound up falling completely flat due to mixed messages) but 20 minutes of searching hasn't turned it up. Hopefully someone else knows the title, it had a lot of good stuff about the Sonic franchise going off the rails into weird quasi-furry territory among other things.

Video Games have seemingly been one of the worst marketed things in my life time, and I say that as a guy who's always been a gamer, since like, before he could even read. It often felt like (especially in the 90's) that the PR departments actually had never played a game and had zero insight into gamer culture. Then there was the mid-90's where everything in ads became edgy, such as the infamous sega ads that looked like poorly masked technical instructions for masturbation. I even remember a Garfield game, which was about as kiddy aimed as a platformer would be in the late 90's, where the ad focused entirely on the fact that cats could lick their own genitals.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

According to this Mental Floss article, "wet" referred to his anti-Prohibition stance.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Sorry, but your culture revolves around our culture.

Not really, not anymore.

Maybe he's right after all, if I was to try and pinpoint a time where this stopped being true, it was about 15 years ago...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Davfff posted:

Not really, not anymore.

Maybe he's right after all, if I was to try and pinpoint a time where this stopped being true, it was about 15 years ago...

If you look at political and cultural developments in Western Europe, there is a clear break between the happy-go-lucky 'politically correct' nineties where it was assumed that Western liberal democracy would go on to conquer the world and immigrants would inevitably absorb our superior values, and the right-wing populist backlash that occurred in many countries during the 2000's when people realized this wasn't the case. It wasn't caused by the attacks on the Twin Towers, but it was certainly part of the same trend, and that date is as good as any. You don't have to get all 'Americans :argh:'

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

the posted articles that celebrate domestic violence

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FAROOQ posted:

the posted articles that celebrate domestic violence

I have literally never seen a Gawker article celebrating domestic violence. This is the media group that produces Jezebel.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Choco1980 posted:

Video Games have seemingly been one of the worst marketed things in my life time, and I say that as a guy who's always been a gamer, since like, before he could even read. It often felt like (especially in the 90's) that the PR departments actually had never played a game and had zero insight into gamer culture. Then there was the mid-90's where everything in ads became edgy, such as the infamous sega ads that looked like poorly masked technical instructions for masturbation. I even remember a Garfield game, which was about as kiddy aimed as a platformer would be in the late 90's, where the ad focused entirely on the fact that cats could lick their own genitals.

Even Nintendo had the bizarre Play It Loud campaign. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stvktzVjZJw

gently caress you dad I'm playing Nintendo

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Choco1980 posted:

It often felt like (especially in the 90's) that the PR departments actually had never played a game and had zero insight into gamer culture.

Choco1980 posted:

Then there was the mid-90's where everything in ads became edgy, such as the infamous sega ads that looked like poorly masked technical instructions for masturbation. I even remember a Garfield game, which was about as kiddy aimed as a platformer would be in the late 90's, where the ad focused entirely on the fact that cats could lick their own genitals.

I don't know that seems pretty spot on

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Even Nintendo had the bizarre Play It Loud campaign. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stvktzVjZJw

gently caress you dad I'm playing Nintendo

The song from that ad is the Butthole Surfers' 'Goofy's Concern':

quote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't give a gently caress about the FBI
I don't give a gently caress about the CIA
I don't give a gently caress about CASHIER'S CLAIM
I don't give a gently caress about anything
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't care what you want me to say
I don't give a gently caress about it anyway
I don't give a gently caress about the whole drat thing
I don't give a gently caress about LSD
I don't care who you want me to be
I don't care what you want me to see

I could give a gently caress about who I am
I could give a poo poo about me and them
I don't give a gently caress about your mom and your dad
I don't give a gently caress about the things you had
I don't give a gently caress about what you do
All I ever fuckin' think about is you

The bolded parts are the ones they actually used.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have literally never seen a Gawker article celebrating domestic violence. This is the media group that produces Jezebel.

Funny you should mention Jezebel.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FAROOQ posted:

Funny you should mention Jezebel.

Are you having fun being cryptic?

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
yes

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Holy poo poo, that's literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

Are you having fun being cryptic?

I guess I'll spoil his fun, Jezebel is a very divisive website among feminists, with probably most of them disliking it. It has been known for many faux pas like (this is an old example but whatever) a discussion on sexual assault with its writers that resulted in them turning up drunk and making a bunch of jokes about the subject instead of saying anything insightful. Gawker does a lot of hypocritical things like criticizing the Fappening but posting Hulk Hogan's sex videos on their site and posting candid pictures of female celebrities without their consent. Not entirely sure what the domestic violence thing FAROOQ is talking about is though since I have long started tuning out when I see the names of these sites.

Basically, Gawker and Jezebel are both founded on getting clicks and anything they profess to as a principle is just them going along with what they think will facilitate that. Individual writers may be OK people but there are better places for them to be. There have certainly been suggestions that editors get them to deliberately post controversial stuff to bait people. Buzzfeed is the same, it has a very do-gooder liberal veneer but is owned by Gawker and ultimately its content is governed pretty solely by clickbait. What's even more annoying is that right wing people will use all these sites as an example of leftist/feminist hypocrisy while seemingly not realizing that reputable people and organizations despise them. So we get these sites full of awful content (often stolen or farted out for pageviews) that add insult to injury by claiming to be supportive of genuine progressive thought.