Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

butt dickus posted:

I'm working a minor mobile site for some of our techs who are on the road. The icons on my desktop site end up being way too small so I figured I'd just use HTML entities in place of icons. I have a few things that look like this:
HTML code:
<a>
<h1>&#128663;</h1>
<h3>Map</h3>
</a>
It looks fine when I preview it on a desktop browser, Android or Windows phone, but on an iOS device the entities are super tiny! Can I fix this or do I need to do something like make SVGs?
e:
Android

iOS

You should be able to adjust the font size just like anything else? If worst comes to worst you could use conditionizr to target some CSS specifically at iOS. But try setting an explicit font-size first if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I'm using em but I just changed it to px and they're still tiny!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can you post a JS fiddle or something? Also, if you're on a Mac with Xcode installed you can use Safari's developer tools in iOS to figure out what the hell is going on.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I cut away everything that's not relevant.
https://jsfiddle.net/rkpabr2f/

We don't have any Macs here.

e: He tried a different ticket that displayed the "Check In" block which uses a more standard &check; entity and that one displays at the right size.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 13, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

butt dickus posted:

I cut away everything that's not relevant.
https://jsfiddle.net/rkpabr2f/

We don't have any Macs here.

e: He tried a different ticket that displayed the "Check In" block which uses a more standard &check; entity and that one displays at the right size.

Try using -webkit-transform: scale(whatever number); on the h1. Works for me adjusting the CSS in Xcode/Safari dev tools.

e: You're still probably going to need to target iOS specifically for that because -webkit will also target desktop Safari and Chrome.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

That does work but it fucks up mobile Chrome and also the checkmark gets super huge. I'm going to switch to SVGs. Thanks, guys.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Maluco Marinero posted:

What's the purpose? You can set scrollLeft and scrollTop on an element whilst it is set to overflow: hidden.

That said though, locking natural scrolling without a good reason is one of the worst design trends of the modern era, so thats why I asked about the use case.

Its what the client wants. Real estate agents want what they want, can't dissuade them.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sitting Bull posted:

Its what the client wants. Real estate agents want what they want, can't dissuade them.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Kobayashi posted:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

yeah i told them i'd do snap scrolling, win/win

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
edit: poo poo, I keep forgetting about the Django thread

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 13, 2015

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a good article / book on SEO that just explains the legitimate, relevant bits in a sober, technical way? I need to be able to tell people I offer SEO with a straight face, but it's not really a world I want to invest too much time in.

nanerpuss
Aug 6, 2005

voudrais-tu une banane, mon amie?

fuf posted:

I need to be able to tell people I offer SEO with a straight face

god bless and goon speed

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35291?hl=en

From the horse's mouth. The jist of it is "code things the right way, have a sitemap, provide a good service and don't try to gently caress with us." There are a lot of new tangents you can pursue these days (Google preferring https over http, or sites with mobile views over sites without) but the core of SEO from a developer's perspective hasn't changed a lot in the past five plus years.

I generally tell clients that I offer "organic SEO," meaning I code things in a way that makes Googlebot happy, but nothing past that. True SEO requires someone carefully monitor a site's analytics and actually spending money on adwords and content generation in response to trends. I refer clients to third parties for stuff like that.

A lot of clients who want SEO would be better off hiring a marketing firm, it'd get them far more bang for their buck.

kedo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 14, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The key is sincerity. If you can fake that, you've got it made!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah if you're going to offer SEO you need to be comfortable with telling them how to change their content (or changing it yourself). I think at this point there's not a lot of technical stuff you can do to help game the system in anyway, you need good content that is tied to the keywords you are trying to hit and prioritize (through code) the important phrases.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Actually you should just add a footer to every page on every site you make and fill it with super hot keywords like "doggy day care" and "real XXX sex." Then set the font color to match the background.

That'll show those stupid bots :smug:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

There's also http://schema.org/ and https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing/webmasters#markup if you want to sound really impressivemake their eyes glaze over as your impenetrable technobable defeats their conscious reasoning.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of og tags, what's the policy on using non-standard properties? I'm working on an academic journal where DOI numbers are a thing and would love to do something like this:

code:
<meta property="article:doi" content="000043" />

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Hey. I've been having this problem that's proving really tricky to figure out.

I'm using flex box on two paragraphs that start off side-by-side, but become linear when the window resizes. The only problem is, there's too much space on the left and right sides when the paragraphs become linear because of an image (that does not flex) above it.

Here's a pen: http://codepen.io/mmckenna/pen/QweOrQ

Basically, I want each paragraph take up roughly 85% percent of the body div when they become linear.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 15, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They're doing it because you have width: 45% and no flex instructions.

Add flex-grow: 1; to the .index_content css.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Works like a charm. Thanks!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've only just started looking into replacing my <div>s with modern HTML5 tags, but I have some questions about semantics/best practices:

(1) Which of these two are preferable:

HTML code:
<ul id="nav" role="navigation">
    <li>Foo</li>
    <li>Bar</li>
    <li>Baz</li>
</ul>
vs

HTML code:
<nav id="nav" role="navigation">
    <ul>
        <li>Foo</li>
        <li>Bar</li>
        <li>Baz</li>
    </ul>
</nav>
The same applies to a seemingly redundant <header> around an <h1> with no tagline.

(2) Second, should I use <article> for a similar index list of articles, or should I just leave them in a <a>s inside a <li> inside an <ul>? <article> seems like something you wrap around a bigger blog with title, content, and so on.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Any tips on an easy and not terrible way in JavaScript to implement something similar to http://paletton.com/#uid=1020u0k4lllaFw0g0qFq1g0w0eC using a hash to be able to save and share variables via a URL?

I've got about 50 variables that have various 1 digit numbers assigned to them and it looks ridiculous to save it as a 50 character string in a URL. I tried doing a base36 conversion but JavaScript hates huge numbers.

I'm sure there is a really obvious solution that I'm overlooking.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 15, 2015

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I'm a .NET developer and am curious to learn more about SEO basics. I know of the IIS SEO Toolkit but was curious if there is anything comparable that doesn't require a site be hosted in IIS. Any general links or resources are appreciated as well as recommendations on services that provide SEO as well. Any advice, links or suggestions are appreciated.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ufarn posted:

I've only just started looking into replacing my <div>s with modern HTML5 tags, but I have some questions about semantics/best practices:

(1) Which of these two are preferable:

HTML code:
<ul id="nav" role="navigation">
    <li>Foo</li>
    <li>Bar</li>
    <li>Baz</li>
</ul>
vs

HTML code:
    <ul>
        <li>Foo</li>
        <li>Bar</li>
        <li>Baz</li>
    </ul>
</nav>
The same applies to a seemingly redundant <header> around an <h1> with no tagline.

(2) Second, should I use <article> for a similar index list of articles, or should I just leave them in a <a>s inside a <li> inside an <ul>? <article> seems like something you wrap around a bigger blog with title, content, and so on.

(1) I've seen:
code:
    <a>Foo</a>
    <a>Bar</a>
    <a>Baz</a>
</nav>
Something about ul and screen readers.

(2) I would think article is just the article itself not the list of articles. So I'd leave it with li.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dr. Poz posted:

I'm a .NET developer and am curious to learn more about SEO basics. I know of the IIS SEO Toolkit but was curious if there is anything comparable that doesn't require a site be hosted in IIS. Any general links or resources are appreciated as well as recommendations on services that provide SEO as well. Any advice, links or suggestions are appreciated.

Scroll up this page a bit. :)

Thanks for the SEO responses everyone, that google article is perfect ammunition to fire at clients.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

The Merkinman posted:

[
code:
    <a>Foo</a>
    <a>Bar</a>
    <a>Baz</a>
</nav>

Ding ding ding. Too many websites express everything in lists, this is more apt. role="navigation" is redundant though, should be deprecated for nav elements soon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would argue id="nav" is even more redundant than role="navigation".

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
Depends how many navs you have, id selectors are still the best.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I didn't meant to not use id, but id="nav" is from a pre-nav era and only makes sense when you're targeting div#nav because you need to distinguish the navigation bar from the other divs in order to give it navigation specific stuff, but if you're distinguishing your navigation bar from other navigation bars you should at least use nav#top or something because nav#nav is quite opaque.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've jumped aboard the "IDs in CSS are gross" train, so the way I would do it:
code:
<nav class="nav-main">

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
How the hell do I allow a user to upload JPGs and an XML file, and compile it into an html5 virtual tour serverside..!??! pano2vr seems like the ticket, but their docs don't really explain what I'm supposed to do, or I'm looking at the wrong docs.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Only use IDs for interpage navigation and JS imo. <nav id="primary" class="horizontal"> looks nice to my eyes.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Funking Giblet posted:

Ding ding ding. Too many websites express everything in lists, this is more apt. role="navigation" is redundant though, should be deprecated for nav elements soon.

So all screen readers will treat a nav element as if it had role=navigation on it sometime in the near future? Do you have a link, as I have not been keeping up on changes in web accessibility as of late.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

Lumpy posted:

So all screen readers will treat a nav element as if it had role=navigation on it sometime in the near future? Do you have a link, as I have not been keeping up on changes in web accessibility as of late.
Screenreaders *should* implement it that way, but whether they will or not...
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/CR/dom.html#sec-strong-native-semantics

Funking Giblet fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 16, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anybody know how the CSS class/ID name style standard managed to settle on "object-name" rather than "object_name" or "objectName" like in every other context?

Hyphenated names make me itchy, because some languages (including JS) always want to try to subtract poo poo.

E: I mean I assume it's because CSS properties follow the hyphenated style, but that annoys me for the same reason (having to expose them in JS with alternative camelcased versions like backgroundColor).

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I heard that in CSS1, you had to escape underscores which was awkward and not always well supported and I guess it just came from there, people preferred dashes out of convenience

code:
p.your\_mom
For instance

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is <main> a canonical element, or is it still tentative? I don't see it in the majority of the official documentation, so just wondering whether I should stick with my <section role="main">.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Data Graham posted:

Anybody know how the CSS class/ID name style standard managed to settle on "object-name" rather than "object_name" or "objectName" like in every other context?

Hyphenated names make me itchy, because some languages (including JS) always want to try to subtract poo poo.

E: I mean I assume it's because CSS properties follow the hyphenated style, but that annoys me for the same reason (having to expose them in JS with alternative camelcased versions like backgroundColor).

I used objectName for a long time until I started using Wordpress, then I switched to object-name to be one of the cool kids. Now I reserve camel case for js function names and Sass variables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

ufarn posted:

Is <main> a canonical element, or is it still tentative? I don't see it in the majority of the official documentation, so just wondering whether I should stick with my <section role="main">.

It's in the specification: http://www.w3.org/TR/html/grouping-content.html#the-main-element