Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

UltraVariant posted:

Been looking for bands that sound in the vein of Pennywise; Metal-tinged hard-hitting riffs with smooth vocals and memorable beat, minus the ska sound that plague other bands like Sublime and (some) NOFX and minus the poppy bullshit demonstrated by later Offspring and Rise Against. Anti-Flag, Deviates, and Ignite are among those I've found. Any other recommendations?

De Heideroosjes, nations afire, propagandhi and since I've gotta throw in some UK stuff you could try 4ft Fingers they might be a bit poppy for you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Direct Hit! might be a good fit.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

UltraVariant posted:

Been looking for bands that sound in the vein of Pennywise; Metal-tinged hard-hitting riffs with smooth vocals and memorable beat, minus the ska sound that plague other bands like Sublime and (some) NOFX and minus the poppy bullshit demonstrated by later Offspring and Rise Against. Anti-Flag, Deviates, and Ignite are among those I've found. Any other recommendations?

Strike Anywhere maybe? 2nding Propagandhi but you should listen to them anyway because they own.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Went to damaged city fest this weekend. Would have been awesome if penny wise played instead of all those terrible bands haha

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
ooooooo get em

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Formerly broken up Good Riddance is back to doing some shows and recorded a new album that's coming out this month. A couple new tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4262x5zf5AE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n20A_xWskDw

Millencolin is in a similar boat with a new album for the first time in several years coming this month,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0InNoCjry7k

Between these and the new Lagwagon earlier this year, I'm loving this resurgence of a bunch of my favorites from way back. The late 90s were amazing.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 13, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GOD IS BED posted:

Direct Hit! might be a good fit.

This is always a good rec because everybody should listen to Direct Hit!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

answersyouseek posted:

Went to damaged city fest this weekend. Would have been awesome if penny wise played instead of all those terrible bands haha

Heratys would have been the only reason worth going, glad to hear it sucked otherwise hah.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Parachute posted:

Heratys would have been the only reason worth going, glad to hear it sucked otherwise hah.

Yeah I mean Heratys was certainly one of my main reasons for going but it was still awesome nonetheless. Highlights being: Aggression Pact, Career Suicide, Government Warning (twice), Night Fever, Vaaska, and some others that my burnt out brain is just forgetting.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CwICLInIl8A

First studio track from brand news up coming album. Sounds like a mix of vices and your favorite weapon. And its really really good which is surprising because those albums really really weren't.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Don't you ever talk poo poo about Your Favorite Weapon. That album owns.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

TheAbortionator posted:

And its really really good which is surprising because those albums really really weren't.

Watch yourself.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Hahaha the album did grow on me but it took a long long time and I would never start with it when trying to sell the band to other people.

Soco and 7x7 were the only tracks where my initial impression wasn't a desire to immediately hit skip.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rear end Catchcum posted:

Have you heard of lagwagon? They're sick.

I have unironically been listening to Lagwagon delivering pizza the last few nights and it turns out Double Plaidinum, Hoss, and the live album are all really good.

TheAbortionator posted:

Hahaha the album did grow on me but it took a long long time and I would never start with it when trying to sell the band to other people.

Soco and 7x7 were the only tracks where my initial impression wasn't a desire to immediately hit skip.

I would because it's a loving amazing high school pop punk album about break ups and Jude Law is a great song.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Fair enough. I retract.my comment about yfw but I stand by what I said about vices (when the songs aren't being played live and excluding sink)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I think their last album was ferocious but this song is kinda bland and doesn't really feel like it's doing anything new. I feel like I've heard it before, even though I haven't, if that makes sense.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Merauder posted:

Formerly broken up Good Riddance is back to doing some shows and recorded a new album that's coming out this month. A couple new tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4262x5zf5AE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n20A_xWskDw

Millencolin is in a similar boat with a new album for the first time in several years coming this month,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0InNoCjry7k

Between these and the new Lagwagon earlier this year, I'm loving this resurgence of a bunch of my favorites from way back. The late 90s were amazing.

Wow - Good Riddance were an amazing band back in the day. I saw them with Down By Law, and they blew them off the stage.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just saw The Menzingers in a tiny venue and it was the best. Just FYI.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Don't care for them. I like Joyce manor.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I am considering seeing them in a tiny venue although I am not their biggest fan.

Also for those of you who are so inclined, mewithoutYou and Foxing are touring this summer (and playing said tiny venue five days after the Menzingers).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Don't care for them. I like Joyce manor.

I like both, do I have to pick only one?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am considering seeing them in a tiny venue although I am not their biggest fan.

You should probably go, they have a good energy about them :shobon:

EDIT: Also on the way out everybody got a free copy of the show's poster on nice paper, too. Thanks Red Bull!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 15, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Well for me it boils down to the fact that menzingers are pro stage diving and Joyce are not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I saw them at Bled Fest last year and it was just alright, but the vibe is always different when you're bouncing between 25-minute performances than at a band's own show.

I do get "The Obituaries" stuck in my head every other day or so.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Well for me it boils down to the fact that menzingers are pro stage diving and Joyce are not.
I'm pretty sure they are just anti fat dude diving on girls stage diving

but if you endorse that I don't know what to say

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

TheAbortionator posted:

Fair enough. I retract.my comment about yfw but I stand by what I said about vices (when the songs aren't being played live and excluding sink)

What is this Vices album you speak of? Daisy on the other hand is great except for Bed and In a jar in my opinion.
You Stole slowly became one of my favorite Brand New tracks.

New song is alright...nothing earth shattering, but its nice to know that they are doing stuff.
I think the whole album will just drop digitally one random day this year.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I only finally dipped into this thread recently and haven't read too far back, but I'm surprised that no one else made it to Total Punk Total Fuckoff Weekend II in Orlando the other week. The lineup was bananas for $30, and I used to live there so I crashed with friends for the sum total cost of buying them breakfast and some records, plus cheap airfare with Spirit. Here's a scattered collection of thoughts and impressions.

Friday preshow was Uniform from Atlanta and Nervous Ticks from Richmond. I didn't make this show - my flight didn't land until it was halfway over.

Friday night show:
False Punk - good, a little thrashy, vocalist was dynamic and energetic
Wymyns Prysyn - these guys are great, I've listened to them off and on for years, first time seeing them live. Played hard.
Manatees - they were alright. Didn't really have enough energy to hold up to the first two bands or enough quirk to hold up to Gary Wrong.
Gary Wrong Group - Gary Wrong albums are super layered and freaky. Sometimes he plays freaky live music, sometimes he plays it as uptempo punk. This was an uptempo punk set. Kind of a let down. On the plus side, Gary Wrong is a wild card and the collapsing mic stand pissed him off enough that he kicked it into the audience. Throw in some fuckups by the bassist on top of that and he wound up launching his guitar at the wall, breaking it into two or three pieces. He was in a good mood at the end of the night, said he'd repair it before and he'd repair it again - apparently it's the last Gibson Kalamazoo off the assembly line or some such.
Action Swingers - slayed. Abe from Manatees was too hammered to play second guitar to Ned at this point, but had the presence of mind to mute his guitar and just come in during the solos. Ned still had it, and the songs are classics.

Friday night afterparty was Tight Genes (Orlando) and Giorgio Murderer (New Orleans). I spent more time drinking in the parking lot than watching these sets. I went inside for a little while, it was friggin' bananas.

Saturday day show:
Nuka Waves - missed 'em.
Heavy Lids - Fun Spits-style punchy rocknroll. I would party to this soundtrack.
Slugga - straight ahead hardcore, decent.
Vatican Dagger - some more basic hardcore, but I liked it more than Slugga. The singer just stalked from side to side, but I liked the overall songcraft.
Black Panties - extremely my poo poo. A little hometown pride for this St Louis area native, but this just represents everything I like about Midwestern punk DNA - hyperactive basslines, staccato guitar, and a particular type of demented front man. I would highly recommend seeing this band live.
Predator - I expected more, wasn't really into it.

Saturday evening show:
Golden Pelicans - I love this band - they're basically Bon Scott-era AC/DC but with more punk swagger. I don't care for the specific timbre of Eric's voice, but he's a great frontman and he sprayed the audience with champagne as part of his birthday celebration. He loves casually swinging the microphone in big orbits during guitar solos, wound up hitting a dude in the head.
Foster Care - Eh. The drummer seemed strung out. Other guys were good, but he held things back.
Spray Paint - Yoooo this was extremely my poo poo. Sounded like Earth, but played at double speed without pitch shifting. A surprise at a punk festival, but enough of a freak vibe that they fit in. Wanted to buy their LP but I missed my chance. I would highly recommend seeing this band live.
Achtungs - A group of young Finnish guys playing a tasty style of garagepunk that ranged from Bad Brains to The Animals. Their LP is great. Stupendous leads and a solid rhythm section. I would highly recommend seeing this band live.
Buck Biloxi & the Fucks - Eh, the night was getting really interesting. Kinda ruined it with a band that sounds like The Queers. I've seen plenty of bands that sound like The Queers.
Lumpy & the Dumpers - A super duper live set. Not as chaotic as the legendary footage of the New York's Alright set from last year, or some of the shows they've played in St. Louis and Springfield, IL, but one of the more aggressive sets at this particular weekend. No slime at this venue, but Lumpy slapped all the photogs with a sausage and the crowd did get pretty wild and partly naked.

An Orlando dude operating as Tantrum Dan has great video of the whole fest, posted HERE

Recently I managed to see Chicago locals MAMA (early KISS rock riffs punched up and punkified) for the second time and Muscles Plant (tough guy hardcore) for the first time. I would see both again. I finally saw NWI's darlings The Coneheads - and yes, they are that good. Definitely one of the best things happening in punk right now. Sheer Mag from Pennsylvania was also highly recommended - good posi vibes and some crunchy leads. I was into it.

Other than that, I probably haven't seen a great show since Jolly Korea, Fake Limbs, Gnar Wave Rangers and Rad Payoff played a house show on a stray warm weekend in January or February. Chicago winter kept me chained to my Netflix account, but I'm definitely looking forward to lots of basement shows in the near future. The DIY scene here right now is on another level, it's a really special time and place.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Any Aussie goons going to Weekender this year? I'm pretty pumped about the lineup.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

tnimark posted:

Any Aussie goons going to Weekender this year? I'm pretty pumped about the lineup.

Really hoping Modern Baseball play in Brisbane.

I'm pretty sure it's about respecting other people's space and ability to come to and enjoy a show without being hurt or whatever.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Giving a gently caress is the new not giving a gently caress, bruh

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Bread Dragon posted:

I only finally dipped into this thread recently and haven't read too far back, but I'm surprised that no one else made it to Total Punk Total Fuckoff Weekend II in Orlando the other week.

If you'd read more you'd've noticed that this isn't a Total Punk type of thread. A Good Post doe.

I haven't seen anything notable lately except Brainbombs a few weeks ago, but one of Finland's finest have a new LP out: https://lapinpolthajat.bandcamp.com/album/iii-lp

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A bit late, but thanks for all of the suggestions of bands. I've listened to Propoghandi before (pretty much just How to Clean Everything, though), but everything else was brand new and kicked rear end. Thanks, mates. :cool:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Bread Dragon posted:

I only finally dipped into this thread recently and haven't read too far back, but I'm surprised that no one else made it to Total Punk Total Fuckoff Weekend II in Orlando the other week. The lineup was bananas for $30, and I used to live there so I crashed with friends for the sum total cost of buying them breakfast and some records, plus cheap airfare with Spirit. Here's a scattered collection of thoughts and impressions.

even tho this isnt what ppl normally post about in here this post is extremely good and im glad you had a good time. the achtungs are really really good (hat tip ras het) and i'm gonna look @ a few things you mentioned so thank you for the write up!

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Giving a gently caress is the new not giving a gently caress, bruh

I care so much, you have no idea

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Inspector_666 posted:

This is weird because if I had to pick one band that I would consider listening to a civil rights violation, its The Menzingers

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i don't care for the menzingers. they do not please me.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Ras Het posted:

If you'd read more you'd've noticed that this isn't a Total Punk type of thread. A Good Post doe.

stay depressed posted:

even tho this isnt what ppl normally post about in here this post is extremely good and im glad you had a good time. the achtungs are really really good (hat tip ras het) and i'm gonna look @ a few things you mentioned so thank you for the write up!

Thanks for the info and the feedback. I'm as eclectic as any punk, although it does seem like I'm skewing in a slightly different direction than the thread. I'll skim the back posts and chime in every two or three weeks to talk about things that sound like Estrus Records or Not Normal Tapes or the Minutemen, and about good Midwestern DIY shows that I've seen recently.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
post about whatever you like as often as you like because it would be nice to talk about something other than brand new, pop punk and lovely epitaph/fat wreck/etc bands that are desperate to stay relevant

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We could talk about Jeff Rosenstock some more

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
one time i totally met jeff at a show and me and my friend 'crusty craig' were so drunk and like talked to him and everything!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mods change my name to Crusty Craig