Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
loving gently caress, man.

You need to work out expectations and details with your sister immediately. Really you should have done it six months ago when everybody was telling you to and you were all "it's cool, she's a pro, it'll all be good." I also don't see what the gently caress the big deal is about an extra half hour of her lounging at your house. It sounds like your mom is difficult and sister has nowhere else to be. And it's not like ever-changing retail shifts is a surprise to anybody. Clearly boundaries and expectations with sis aren't so great if she's passive-aggressively sending you car ads. gently caress, man. How is it that the only person in this thread surprised by this is you?

You also need to negotiate more work-from-home time, if you're so under-paid. gently caress, the boss is gone for a whole week at a time every month. Do you really need to be in the office? Maybe during your review you can have a real heart-to-heart with your boss. Tell him you like working there and you understand he can't pay market rate, but that you'd like to be compensated in other ways. Like working from home three days a week. Another option, reduced hours four days a week, made up by shorter lunch breaks and working a ten-hour shift on Fridays. Or something. Buying a car sends you in a negative direction. Find solutions that work towards the positive.

At SOME point you're going to realize that there's ALWAYS something "unexpected" coming up. That's reality, dude. Nothing is holding you back except for you. Stop making excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

Good answer. I'm also in for $100. :toxx:

OK well yes I'll be a total rear end in a top hat if I don't hit this. This is a really cool opportunity everyone thanks for giving it to me. :hfive: BFC you guys are some good people.

I'm going to try to get my resume ready today, and I'll get the 3 month budget going forward this weekend when my wife and I can find a minute. I need to reread all of the rules for this challenge to ensure I don't miss anything.

Old Fart we've got that settled and I agree/we will sit down with my sister to work some more things out. We have 99% of it down but the stuff Robo brought up are great points that we'll be going over.

Someone accused me of never taking the advice posted in here seriously. Since I'm sure other people believe that, I think it deserves an explanation, so here it is: that's flat out wrong. I do have trouble putting the advice into practice sometimes. However I think if you believe that I'm ignoring everything in here then you're looking at me and all of this in the wrong light. I do I have the problem of trying to take all of the advice given and it's just too much. I will be working on that going forward. And March? Yes that was a bad month and a complete failing of my own. It wasn't due to preparedness, or not budgeting for stuff in advance, it was about us prioritizing wants over needs and it got out of control.

Droo regarding biking it's just a highway kind of like this but with walking paths along the side, so it's fairly safe:

Really though I'll consider the biking along the highway a temporary measure. I'm going to get a significant pay raise or a new job and that may mean no commute if I can score something remote. I can appreciate more benefits if the difference is $5-8,000 a year or something, but we're talking bigger numbers than that.

e: clarification

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 16, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Really though I'll consider the biking along the highway a temporary measure. I'm going to get a significant pay raise or a new job and that may mean no commute if I can score something remote. I can appreciate more benefits if the difference is $5-8,000 a year or something, but we're talking bigger numbers than that.

Or you could get fired and be completely screwed in 1-2 months once you burn through your emergency fund. This is a prime example of you always assuming the best.

Your boss has told you in the past that he isn't willing to give you a raise unless you have an "offer in hand", so it's probably unlikely you'll receive a big raise this year. (Maybe something changed?)

Finding a new job can be very hard and very time consuming it could be months or years before you find another company that is a good fit. It personally took me about 1 year to find a better job. That takes going through some hard rejections (jobs you really want) and turning down some offers after considering "total compensation" (including things like commute distance and non-monetary "perks").

You should consider the biking along the highway a permanent thing until you actually have some promising offers not promising leads.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Or you could get fired and be completely screwed in 1-2 months once you burn through your emergency fund. This is a prime example of you always assuming the best.

Your boss has told you in the past that he isn't willing to give you a raise unless you have an "offer in hand", so it's probably unlikely you'll receive a big raise this year. (Maybe something changed?)

Finding a new job can be very hard and very time consuming it could be months or years before you find another company that is a good fit. It personally took me about 1 year to find a better job. That takes going through some hard rejections (jobs you really want) and turning down some offers after considering "total compensation" (including things like commute distance and non-monetary "perks").

You should consider the biking along the highway a permanent thing until you actually have some promising offers not promising leads.

Well yes I won't be going to him asking for a raise. If I didn't have a dependent and a bunch of money in the bank I'd probably feel different, but I don't. What I mean is when I have an offer in hand I will give him/the Texas company an opportunity to match or beat it. I agree leads are worth little comparatively.

And the highway I don't really care about it too much. Plus it's spring and summer is coming I like the heat way more than the cold. Biking will be more comfortable moving forward.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 16, 2015

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

So, did you post your March budget reconciliation and April budget yet or...? I honestly don't remember since we're halfway through the month.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

So, did you post your March budget reconciliation and April budget yet or...? I honestly don't remember since we're halfway through the month.

Yep. Here it is again.

http://i.imgur.com/29FtJhc.png

Still have half our grocery budget left too.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Jesus loving christ...

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
pre:
Net Monthly Income:
Me: $4,250
Her: $1,100 // My wife has insurance and HSA come out of her paycheck, so it's deceptively low.
---
Total: $5,350

Total Debt Start of Thread::
~$60000 (including ~$20000 oldish medical collections)

Total Debt: April 2015
$53706 (including ~$20000 oldish medical collections)

Debts paid off since thread started (As of April 2015): 
Speeding ticket ~$700
Taxes $2700 (adjusted withholding after this happened)
Truck @ 10.95% APR ($14,208)
Car @ 18% APR (~$8000)

Debts taken on since start of thread: 
Car @ 10.99% APR ($26,000 w/ 50,000 mile maintenance plan)
Taxes $2700
Delivery Fees

Old interest on old car (18%): 

Calculated Old Truck Interest ($11,000 @ 10.95%): $100

New interest (10.99%): 

Debt Breakdown:
March 2015
Toyota Corolla ~$24,700 @ 10.99% (negative equity from previous cars rolled into this)
Student Loans: ~$8,000
Personal: $1,800

April 2015
Toyota Corolla $24,288 @ 10.99% (negative equity from previous cars rolled into this)
Student Loans: $7732
Personal: $1,700

Gross Yearly Household Income:
Start of Thread
~$82,000
April 2015
~$88,000

Goals:
Get 3-6 months of emergency funds setup and save (April 2015 - Monthly Expenses = roughly $3,500)
Pay off the debt
Save for a house down payment ($0/30,000) 0% met

Progress:
Start of thread
Savings: $0
Retirement: $0
HSA: $0

12/3/2013 Update:
Emergency Savings: $514.03
House Down Payment: $0

8/31/2014 Update:
Emergency Savings: ~$4,700.00

Moved twice here, started HSA

1/22/2015 Update:
Savings: $3795 (Owed $2700 to the tax man)
HSA: $4700

4/30/2015 (Forecasted on 4/16) Update:
Savings: $7000
HSA: $6000

Net worth October 2014 - April 2015 (Forecasted on 4/16)

Using American date formats (mm-dd-yyyy)
I keep the OP updated with this kind of stuff. Here's the new version.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 16, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I really think you need to add your medical debt in. Your goal is 30k for a house down payment but no bank will give you a mortgage with that outstanding delinquent debt.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

I really think you need to add your medical debt in. Your goal is 30k for a house down payment but no bank will give you a mortgage with that outstanding delinquent debt.

OK it seems like everyone wants me to include it. Done and the OP has been updated. My day just got a little harder to get through :sad:. I'll add it to YNAB too why not I guess. I'm sure I'll manage to piss some people off either way :drac:.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Updated to include medical debt.

The burden of debt definitely feels heavier now.

Edit: added charity info to OP as well.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 16, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Any unsettled debt should be in your YNAB if you're going to include things like HSA and your car KBB value. If you're going to play the game play it both ways. Also when are you going to pay your wife's delivery fees? What was the total cost? Seems odd you don't have this information yet.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Any unsettled debt should be in your YNAB if you're going to include things like HSA and your car KBB value. If you're going to play the game play it both ways. Also when are you going to pay your wife's delivery fees? What was the total cost? Seems odd you don't have this information yet.

Yea unfortunately we don't have the data for the delivery fees yet. We've had two pediatrician bills and a doctor bill or two, but we're still waiting on the big ones. But yea everything of note is now reflected in YNAB, minus some small collections I'm not going to bother with. A few $100 or so.

These 3 months of coming under budget will help. I'm working on the resume first thing after work, but if what you said applies to me then 3 months probably won't be a long enough time for me to find a new job. I'm pretty experienced looking for work, but not a whole lot in this field, and I know more what I'm looking for in a workplace now when I wasn't sure before.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
If the delivery fees are above $4500, does this mean you had a negative net worth increase since October?

Also seeing your gross income laid out made me realize you make a lot more than a lot of people. Time to pay the piper now as they say.

Edit: Misread the chart, but I think it seems like it will kind of show you treaded water for the last 6 months or so?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Been gone for ~24 days on a kayaking trip in the Grand Canyon. I gotta say, the 450 posts I just read through were pretty depressing. You're still constantly trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

MrEnigma posted:

If the delivery fees are above $4500, does this mean you had a negative net worth increase since October?

Also seeing your gross income laid out made me realize you make a lot more than a lot of people. Time to pay the piper now as they say.

Edit: Misread the chart, but I think it seems like it will kind of show you treaded water for the last 6 months or so?

Delivery fees aren't current in the graph at all. But I don't think so regarding the treading water even though some people have described our situation as that. Our net worth was $10,000 lower at one point. It's a slog especially now that we're showing as shoulder deep in that medical debt, but we'll get out. We've made positive progress since November (December actually has a small uptick). We'd be in a much better place if we had applied ourselves more though. Like you said time to pay the piper I suppose. April is looking really good too budget wise.

Yea we make pretty good money I'm pretty thankful of that. I've said this a few times, but there was a time less than two years ago that my wife and I made a combined $28,000 a year. Well mostly my wife I think I made $9,000 that entire year.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Been gone for ~24 days on a kayaking trip in the Grand Canyon. I gotta say, the 450 posts I just read through were pretty depressing. You're still constantly trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Nice I wish we had spent our March overages on a cool trip at least. How was the trip? That sounds like a blast.

A lot of my March troubles were due to alcohol. We would have about $350 of March's budget overages back if it wasn't for that. Maybe more. I got drunk one night with a couple friends and made some really bad financial choices with them. But that's why I'm not drinking anymore. I've already lost 7 lbs and saved at least $28 this month (and realistically much more). I think that's a pretty significant positive change.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

There is always something. Medical bills. Travel. Booze. Car stuff. Clothing. Hobbies. Food. Unforeseen expenses of every shape, size, and color.

Let's say you got a job that was a $20,000 increase. I guarantee that with your current behavior the extra $1,000 a month take home would be consumed by the unforeseen and you would still be roughly treading water and chipping away slowly at debt and savings. Other people here would have the discipline to throw it all at debt and savings. Yet others would buy a $32,000 car before the job even started.

Getting more income won't fix your situation. It sure is nice and it helps, but things are still very broken for you in other ways.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Knyteguy posted:

Delivery fees aren't current in the graph at all. But I don't think so regarding the treading water even though some people have described our situation as that.

But the HSA still is, isn't it? Or did you pull that out? If not, that means you're only a bit ahead.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

MrEnigma posted:

But the HSA still is, isn't it? Or did you pull that out? If not, that means you're only a bit ahead.

It is yes. But the HSA is actually $6000 since I have $1600 of it sitting in our checking from a refund. The delivery should cost less than or equal to that according to hospital and doctor estimates. We've still payed down debt and saved up ~$5000-$7000 in that time though. It's not ideal but I don't like writing off progress either.

Ultimate Mango posted:

There is always something. Medical bills. Travel. Booze. Car stuff. Clothing. Hobbies. Food. Unforeseen expenses of every shape, size, and color.

Let's say you got a job that was a $20,000 increase. I guarantee that with your current behavior the extra $1,000 a month take home would be consumed by the unforeseen and you would still be roughly treading water and chipping away slowly at debt and savings. Other people here would have the discipline to throw it all at debt and savings. Yet others would buy a $32,000 car before the job even started.

Getting more income won't fix your situation. It sure is nice and it helps, but things are still very broken for you in other ways.

I think some of these assessments are unfair. Medical I can't do much about, travel we've only taken 1 trip in the past year and it was an overnighter, together my wife and I have probably spent $200 on clothes in the past 1.5 years.

Food yes, hobbies yes, booze yes. Especially food. Previously booze. Moving YES. We're doing really well this month and if we stay on track it will be the best yet food and booze wise. I don't think any of those are really unforeseen expenses though. They were me ignoring the budget. I believe that's the core issue. If we stick to the budget with ample planning then we're good. I will be talking to my psychologist Saturday about this (first visit back in over a year since I know what I want to work on now).

I don't expect an income to fix the problem, but our lifestyle will absolutely be staying the same. 100% of whatever extra money we bring in will go directly to debt and then directly to savings.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 16, 2015

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
You probably shouldn't count the HSA as savings when you know the majority of it has been spent. It's odd you still don't have the final bills but I'd suggest creating a negative entry that's roughly equal to your current HSA to better represent reality. You've spent a large sum but your books don't represent that accurately when you include the savings in your net worth and not the imminent bills.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Knyteguy posted:

It is yes. But the HSA is actually $6000 since I have $1600 of it sitting in our checking from a refund. The delivery should cost less than or equal to that according to hospital and doctor estimates. We've still payed down debt and saved up ~$5000-$7000 in that time though. It's not ideal but I don't like writing off progress either.

I guess you see it as, hey we actually saved this much money and paid it off, go us.

I see it as, if you're going to have a future expense, that is what you (as not just 'you', but everyone) should do. Is it better than going into debt for this, absolutely. Someone a few posts ago said that it is always going to be something, and that is completely true. In the future I can imagine all kinds of things, hobbies you want to get into, second car, etc.

I can't help feel like it is rewarding yourself by not buying the PS4 (ok maybe not that bad...but you know).

You've successfully treaded water for now, but now let's swim.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What was the bad financial choices you made drunk?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

What was the bad financial choices you made drunk?

Eh I'm not telling this one. It was expensive though.

Here's my resume draft! It takes a few seconds to load.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OgE-vCpvl7LhrLWr4Gtx_zlctBGi4k-ehj2AYbTDvgA/

I found the template on my Google Docs when looking for my old resume. I couldn't find my resume, but I found this in there. I'm not sure who did it, but hopefully they don't mind me using it.

Thanks anyone willing to help with the resume. I did change the company names and stuff, so my real resume does look a little nicer with the real data. I'm going heavily for the Dynamics AX side of things since that's where the money seems to be.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Eh I'm not telling this one. It was expensive though.

:rubshands: Alcohol is an expensive habit all by itself without throwing more money at it, Knyte!

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007
I work in SF in a tech startup as a devops engineer/lead. I am part of the hiring process for devs, and typically review resumes and conduct interviews at least twice a month. Having said that, I'm not familiar with Windows, C#, Dynamics AX and whatnot but here's my take on your resume:

Remove the education portion, this just highlights you didn't complete a degree.
Remove the personal portion, that's stuff you can bring up depending on the vibe of the interviewer.
Remove the "and more..." unless that's some sort of placeholder?

I would put work experience at the top, and project highlights below that.

The 'increased performance' portion of your highlight is vague and a bit weird. You improved something by 20 seconds? From what? Percentages work well here, and if anything I saw had a performance increase of 20 seconds I'm appalled at what it was and what it may still be. Something like "Improved site performance by 30% through refactoring and blah" may work a bit better here.

Just a few things I see on my end, I'm sure others will contribute.

egoslicer fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 17, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Your resume is confusing. If I'm not wrong you're being somewhat deceptive because your work for one person who consults you out, but your resume makes it look like you work for all kinds of companies.

If someone was to call those companies to verify employment what would they say?

Edit: Nvm I see what you did. Experience should go first typically. Confusing format + phone.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 17, 2015

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007
I'll add that if you only have 2 years of experience as a developer and are paid $80k, that's really solid outside of NYC and SF. I may have your salary wrong, but I thought I saw that in this thread. I'm not sure where it comes from where you think you are really underpaid.

edit: I see, that's your household, not yours alone. My bad.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Please look into the goon-run resume2interviews. It's kind of expensive, but it took my boyfriend from working as a cook for 6 years to getting an entry-level IT job with no relevant job experience and only two industry certs. And then six months later he updated that resume through their service again and landed a mid-level job half way across the U.S. that paid him more than double. Sure, it's not the resume that got him either job, but that resume looked drat Good for him not having any actual experience at all or even graduating high school. They work with you closely to help highlight the skills you do have, what you have managed to accomplish, etc. It takes time to develop a resume through their service (think 3 weeks or so? depending on how fast you respond and how detailed you get with them), but for us that time and money was worth spending. If you feel disciplined enough to do that legwork yourself, it might not be worth the money to you, but you really need to work on your resume. How it is formatted, the content of it, etc.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The interview/resume/get a job thread in CoC should take a crack at this too, but here's one change I would make: move those "Technical" things into the descriptions of your projects/work history rather than the top. They're just there for bots to find anyway, and you'll make super vague and uninteresting things like "Developed website features on the frontend and backend of their website" and "Updated web design throughout website." if you throw the " SSRS, TSQL, C#, MVC" stuff in there where appropriate. Otherwise both the Technical and Work Experience fields come off a little flat. Technical definitely doesn't seem like it should be at the top, if anywhere at all -- unless you really can't get all of the technologies into task descriptions of Work Experience.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Sweet thanks for the resume tips everyone. I'll get those changes up today. This weekend I'll be stuffing my nose in that Cracking the Coding Interview book (e-book).

SWSP I think that's a good idea, especially if I can find someone with AX experience (I've run into a couple in there). I also didn't realize the technical skills stuff was just for bots. That's good to know since I really dislike that section (skill level ambiguity even with "moderate knowledge of..." descriptions).

egoslicer load times are now all in the <1000 ms range. It was stupid slow before since the nopCommerce creator refused to acknowledge scalability problems until recently. He was testing with 2,000 products and 2 levels of nested categories, where we use 5-7 levels of nested categories and 100,000+ products. And level 1 of the categories have a pagified list of products which required pulling every product from the database and parsing information. Then filter plugins on top of that that would do that again to get more product data.

Edit: New resume is up with most of the changes. Same link as above.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 17, 2015

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

I think some of these assessments are unfair. Medical I can't do much about, travel we've only taken 1 trip in the past year and it was an overnighter, together my wife and I have probably spent $200 on clothes in the past 1.5 years.

Let's remember that these chickens eventually come home to roost. To wit, this post from ~7 months ago:

Knyteguy posted:

Aside:
I'm just going to throw it out there: September's budget is now blown by a couple hundred dollars. I'm getting too fat* and I broke the buttons on 2 pairs of shorts in 2 days, bringing me down to 1 presentable pair of shorts, so I got some replacement jeans. Shoes were also lovely and in my wife's case painful so we just replaced those too. I was going to hold off until October but I want to absolutely ensure we meet our new budget (again next post)

Just a short while age you said something about needing new shoes, which would take you over that couple of hundred. Also, I find it hard to believe (though can't entirely rule it out) that your wife didn't get any maternity clothes. It's possible she got by with gifts from outside family or maybe she wore your clothes, maybe she just had roomy clothes to begin with, but I don't really believe that the $200 in 18 months figure is all that accurate when that entire dollar value was spent getting you some extra jeans and shorts.

The point of this isn't to accuse you of or catch you lying, rather to highlight that you have some trouble anticipating expenses and a bit of a selective memory when it comes to purchases, both made and their dollar values. These are problems when it comes to your budgeting/reconciliation process and you really have to sort that out, or those cats just aren't going to get spayed.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Antifreeze Head posted:

Let's remember that these chickens eventually come home to roost. To wit, this post from ~7 months ago:

Just a short while age you said something about needing new shoes, which would take you over that couple of hundred. Also, I find it hard to believe (though can't entirely rule it out) that your wife didn't get any maternity clothes. It's possible she got by with gifts from outside family or maybe she wore your clothes, maybe she just had roomy clothes to begin with, but I don't really believe that the $200 in 18 months figure is all that accurate when that entire dollar value was spent getting you some extra jeans and shorts.

The point of this isn't to accuse you of or catch you lying, rather to highlight that you have some trouble anticipating expenses and a bit of a selective memory when it comes to purchases, both made and their dollar values. These are problems when it comes to your budgeting/reconciliation process and you really have to sort that out, or those cats just aren't going to get spayed.

My wife used this spandex type belt thing instead of maternity clothes. I don't think she bought anything.

My original estimate on clothing is pretty close. $300-$400 is probably more fair though you're right.

It's funny looking back to see I'm still dealing with the same poo poo then that I am now. Yeesh. Quoting this one for myself:

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

There are few constants in life, but not being able to please everybody all the time is one of them. If you ask 5 people for their opinion, you're likely to get 10 opinions back - especially in a place like BFC where you have a lot of experts with their own methods, ideas, and mantras. Any time I'm in a position where I have lots of feedback coming from lots of different sources, I take it all in, discard the outliers, and try to find the average of what the group seems to be saying. That does not even mean I will follow the group's desires to the letter, but it does give me a way to tackle things without trying to implement every tiny detail or suggestion that each person comes up with.

KG you strike me as a clever, motivated guy who's bursting with energy but also stressed out. Don't feel like you've got to immediately tweak your budget just because an internet expert said "well maybe you should try X". Just think things through calmly and logically, and if you don't agree with what the internet says, don't lose any sleep over it.

That being said, you've been given some stellar advice recently and I hope you're able to make sense of it, implement what works for you, and don't lose hope.

I was just again given a similar piece of advice. It's time to get my poo poo together. I'm tired of going in circles and I can tell you guys are too. Scheduling with my psychologist or whatever is kind of a commitment to that. Quitting drinking too. Can't let those cats go unspayed! :arghfist:

e on a side note I updated the resume based on the input. I'm not sure if I hit all the points yet though.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Eh I'm not telling this one. It was expensive though

I'm not sure you can get away that easy. If you don't face your problems, you'll never solve them.

At the very least, how much was it, and where did it come out of the budget?

I'm assuming blackjack, hookers, and blow.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Glad you found that post helpful, but after the recent nearly-bought-a-car episode I was not able to formulate anything helpful. I kinda just shook my head and said "that boy ain't right" lol.

Anyway I wish you the best on your 3 month budget contest, but I am really concerned about what happens the month after the contest. I'm very tempted to wager $100 to the charity of your choice for the month after the contest. We'll see.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Glad you found that post helpful, but after the recent nearly-bought-a-car episode I was not able to formulate anything helpful. I kinda just shook my head and said "that boy ain't right" lol.

Anyway I wish you the best on your 3 month budget contest, but I am really concerned about what happens the month after the contest. I'm very tempted to wager $100 to the charity of your choice for the month after the contest. We'll see.

Once we have 3 months of expenses saved (tallied EOM) completed then it'll be on like Donkey Kong. We should be at $7,000/$10,000 at the end of April. Paying off debt finally is going to feel so good.

So CoC hasn't said much about my resume, which might tell me it's at a good or good enough point. I think I'll start updating recruiters and stuff this weekend. Thanks again for the help guys.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 17, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Progress. Despite wanting to go I skipped the bachelor party completely to stay on track with finances, studying, and the alcohol goal. The result of this means I have a small sum of discretionary left to get me through the month. So I proved you wrong something clever you said I was going to go over by mid month I think.

Did some yard work, gonna take a walk for an hour per therapist orders, and I'm on cracking the coding interview the rest of the night and tomorrow.

April may very well be the most successful month yet as far as sticking to the budget goes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
:toot:
That's a good update, and great job on staying in your budget!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Progress. Despite wanting to go I skipped the bachelor party completely to stay on track with finances, studying, and the alcohol goal. The result of this means I have a small sum of discretionary left to get me through the month. So I proved you wrong something clever you said I was going to go over by mid month I think.

Did some yard work, gonna take a walk for an hour per therapist orders, and I'm on cracking the coding interview the rest of the night and tomorrow.

April may very well be the most successful month yet as far as sticking to the budget goes.

Once is an aberration. Multiple times is a pattern.

Develop this into a pattern and I think you'll have something, Knyteguy.

(But really, good going.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Don't forget to take the time to have fun too, so you don't feel like you need to spend lots of money on having fun as a reward later. There's lots of inexpensive ways to have a good time!

And yes, good going!

• Locked thread