Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Don't be the frog. Be the scorpion. You're both going down, but at least it's the other guy who is the chump.

I think the rear end in a top hat self destructive scoprion is my spirit animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

because theres no money in it I reckon

only the dumb whales buy that poo poo anyway

nobody wants a t-hawk or manta because they have poo poo rules and you'll be disappointed the one time you use it every year

reaver/warhounds let you take 4/9 large blast destroyer shots and the ability to piss in the cheerios of assholes with all knight armies

resin baby will let you take, like, 12-16 large blast destroyer shots

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

The desire for wealth is in reality a desire for the ability to fill your house with robots.

This is pretty much spot on. I'm fortunate in that unlike my stupid gaming hobby, my wife's been doing a lot of robotics as part of her art practice. So, assuming "is a robot but isn't working at the moment" is sufficient to qualify as "a robot," there are in my house and garage right now, uh...

um.

Enough robots that I have lost count. More than ten?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

nobody wants a t-hawk or manta because they have poo poo rules and you'll be disappointed the one time you use it every year

reaver/warhounds let you take 4/9 large blast destroyer shots and the ability to piss in the cheerios of assholes with all knight armies

resin baby will let you take, like, 12-16 large blast destroyer shots

I really hate large apoc games so this sounds daaaaamn poo poo to me bruv

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
same, but that's why people get them- bring two models, drink beer,make everyone else remove their models from the table

besides, the whole game has basically turned into apocalypse anyway thanks to the LOW slot. at least in 30 gay it can't be more than 25% of your army

ExtraCheese
Apr 16, 2014
Is there actually any substantive rule differences between 30k and 40k? I keep hearing people saying how much better 30k is, are the rules different or is it just more expensive plastic soldiers?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

osirisisdead posted:

GW mastered the art of creating anticipation, but it was anticipation for something that doesn't exist. That's how they keep people on the 'hams for life. Like cocaine... it doesn't feel like much when you actually do it, but you keep wanting more anyway.

They also mastered of creating so much negative anticipation that customers fire sale armies they've had for years/decades.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It’s like a total conversion. Different FOC, different FOC rules, new units, new special rules, different weapons, you can choose to treat strength D weapons as S10 AP1, different missions, and only troops score. No dumb tactical objective cards, you get a single allied detachment, but you can use special FOCs that modify which units you can take.

It’s a bit like a refined and up-scaled 6th edition. So it plays different and feels a lot more grounded than 7th.

Comically enough the red books are cheaper than a new GW codex. If you stick to FW resin it ain’t cheap though. But really, who sticks entirely to FW resin anyway?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Recasters. :haw:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

an I also buy a robot frog to ride the robot scorpion?

I am somewhat proud I was there when this saying became a thing.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Moola posted:

this is true tbh

I just want more bigger better robots in my life

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2012/01/mega-size-148-gundam-age-1-normal.html This motherfucker is like a good foot and a half or more tall. You don't even need tools to assemble it. 120 bucks or so normally going for 82 dollars right now.

82 bucks isnt even two of the new Skit walkers that you basically need three of for a loving unit. At 66 bucks a model. And you really would want two of these 90-135 points a model units in your force. (2 in a squad with the gently caress AIRCRAFT gear with a gently caress MARINES build, and then the other with 1 gently caress AIR, and maybe 2 gently caress TANK builds.) But sure you can only take one. If you are a poor scrub who only wants a 6+ invul save. Keep a unit of three within 4" of each other and it goes up to a 4+. Yes. Oh, and one of the gently caress MARINES builds reduces cover saves when it hits.

For a model that is about as big as the Imperial ship for X Wing I bought today that came prepainted, rules included, and assembled for 40 bucks. (Though the store had a roll D20% off today. I only got a 7. :failure: )

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Anyone know what the most pricey model per point is? Bonus points (ha!) if it's near mandatory for an effective army.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

petrol blue posted:

Anyone know what the most pricey model per point is? Bonus points (ha!) if it's near mandatory for an effective army.

7.98 for a 14 point sister? .57 cents per point? Not sure, but it has to be up there.

Though warmachine is much worse. 54.99 for 6 points... 9.16 per point!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Not sure. The Ironstrider Dragoon is pretty bad; 45 points base, $49. more than a dollar per point before upgrades.

quote:

Though warmachine is much worse. 54.99 for 6 points... 9.16 per point!

Though 6 points is 12% of a standard tournament army in WMH, whereas 45 points is 3% of a 1500 point 40K army.

I suppose it all depends on where you find value. Warmachine stuff is pretty loving expensive, for sure.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 16, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Captain Rufus posted:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2012/01/mega-size-148-gundam-age-1-normal.html This motherfucker is like a good foot and a half or more tall. You don't even need tools to assemble it. 120 bucks or so normally going for 82 dollars right now.

82 bucks isnt even two of the new Skit walkers that you basically need three of for a loving unit. At 66 bucks a model. And you really would want two of these 90-135 points a model units in your force. (2 in a squad with the gently caress AIRCRAFT gear with a gently caress MARINES build, and then the other with 1 gently caress AIR, and maybe 2 gently caress TANK builds.) But sure you can only take one. If you are a poor scrub who only wants a 6+ invul save. Keep a unit of three within 4" of each other and it goes up to a 4+. Yes. Oh, and one of the gently caress MARINES builds reduces cover saves when it hits.

For a model that is about as big as the Imperial ship for X Wing I bought today that came prepainted, rules included, and assembled for 40 bucks. (Though the store had a roll D20% off today. I only got a 7. :failure: )

I really really wish that I liked the Gundam aesthetic more, because the kits all look really great. Can the company please make some insane baroque robots? Thanks.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

FrostyPox posted:

Though 6 points is 12% of a standard tournament army in WMH, whereas 45 points is 3% of a 1500 point 40K army.

I suppose it all depends on where you find value. Warmachine stuff is pretty loving expensive, for sure.

:thejoke:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've figured out GW's strategy with the SoB! They have tons of back stock sitting around. They still sell metal sisters on their website. How long has it been since they produced metal models?

If they raise the price on everything else to absurd levels, by comparison the SoB will be affordable!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ashcans posted:

I really really wish that I liked the Gundam aesthetic more, because the kits all look really great. Can the company please make some insane baroque robots? Thanks.

How do these tickle you?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
lol at pink hooker heeled gundamn

let me guess, it's piloted by a strong quiet female character suffering from sexual repression
e: with a dark past explaining why she's lawful evil

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

By a dude, it seems

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

is there a gurren lagann I can buy like that? That's the only big anime robot I care about

E: in Australia I went to a shop with a huge wall of mecha kits and it was loving awesome I wish there was somewhere like that here, I guess that's a side effect of being nearer japan

Phoon fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 16, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

moola im looking forward to your fetus av being born and becoming a strong, strapping scrunt

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BULBASAUR posted:

lol at pink hooker heeled gundamn

let me guess, it's piloted by a strong quiet female character suffering from sexual repression
e: with a dark past explaining why she's lawful evil

Nope.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Ok real question about these Gundams since they come up a lot when people complain about WM/H models as well - if you took one of those things and started using it as a game piece (regular handling, falls over occasionally) would it hold up or break instantly?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

evenworse username posted:

Ok real question about these Gundams since they come up a lot when people complain about WM/H models as well - if you took one of those things and started using it as a game piece (regular handling, falls over occasionally) would it hold up or break instantly?

They pretty much just break apart at the joins due to not being glued so you can pop them back together fairly easily.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Depends on the kit and if you assembled it with cement or just snap fit. Some of them will shatter if you so much as look at then funny, but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Thankfully the parts rarely break, but they can come apart yeah. Cement, while making it look better, can help with this. Still, it's a problem you'll run into with most model robots since they're made to be poseable, which means the parts are still mobile and not rigidly secured.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

boom boom boom posted:

How do these tickle you?

Not so much, although I do like this guy:

It's possible I just want to get some crazy Macross robots, seeing as that was the show I really got stuck into as a kid and it tickles the same nostalgia vibe that Warhammer does.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Don't be the frog. Be the scorpion. You're both going down, but at least it's the other guy who is the chump.

This pretty much the GW Corporate policy.

The parable of the Bloodthirster and the Whale.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Moola posted:

an I also buy a robot frog to ride the robot scorpion?

Let me tell you of the Gheluka and the Nui-Jaga...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

If you are intending to use it as a game piece, you could always just glue the joints and affix it to the base, same as you would with a regular miniature.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

boom boom boom posted:

If you are intending to use it as a game piece, you could always just glue the joints and affix it to the base, same as you would with a regular miniature.

This one is done pretty loving well!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That is loving rad as hell.

In "bad thread" news, the new Eldar Codex is $58 USD. :toot:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not one of those gundams is encrusted with skulls. Do not want.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Well, you know, if you don't want to get a Gundam?

You can just go for one of THESE

Dreamforge Kickstarted those robots a couple of years back, they are completely badass, articulated, you can swap their arms around for multiple weapons, and they ALSO come in a SKULL model for your SKULL needs. They are probably the right size too, seeing how one of them is just as large as my Stompa:

They are currently under 100 and the extra arms are at about 35 each. they also have a 15mm model that is $59 and $17.50 for extra arms.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

Not one of those gundams is encrusted with skulls. Do not want.

How about one big skull?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kerzoro posted:

Well, you know, if you don't want to get a Gundam?

You can just go for one of THESE

Dreamforge Kickstarted those robots a couple of years back, they are completely badass, articulated, you can swap their arms around for multiple weapons, and they ALSO come in a SKULL model for your SKULL needs. They are probably the right size too, seeing how one of them is just as large as my Stompa:

They are currently under 100 and the extra arms are at about 35 each. they also have a 15mm model that is $59 and $17.50 for extra arms.

Cool, but still way way too expensive. But cool.

boom boom boom posted:

How about one big skull?

That looks hilariously tacked-on, haha. Somewhere there's a really confused Tau engineer going "am I doing this right? Uh..." (glances at his notes) "... A skull is intended to the Skull Deity."

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

Cool, but still way way too expensive. But cool.

That looks hilariously tacked-on, haha. Somewhere there's a really confused Tau engineer going "am I doing this right? Uh..." (glances at his notes) "... A skull is intended to the Skull Deity."

There's a laser cannon in the mouth

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

There's a laser cannon in the mouth

It gets some points for that, but one skull just isn't enough.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
We need encrusted, jeez. :rolleyes:

I'm not a great fan of the gundam designs, but they make me realise how much GW covers poor design by just throwing more skulls and scrolls and hoses and other pointless crap bitz at their box-vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The cooler designs are always the bad guy suits since all gundams have to pretty much share the same design aesthetic.

• Locked thread