Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I think someone here mentioned the book: "The Girl With All The Gifts" by M. R. Carey and i just finished it yesterday, a wonderful book. :zombie: :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
This thread can get really loving weird.

:suspense:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Wade Wilson posted:

I started to have a tirade about how stupid it is to have Leslie interested in Peter like that, but she did try to get him to have sex with her while she was drunk that one time.
Yeah, that happened in "Whispers Underground". There was definitley a deep affection from Lesley towards Peter but again, he felt way too guilty to reciprocate. Then again, under the circumstances, could anybody blame him? Would anybody blame him?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Benny the Snake posted:

I finished "Broken Homes" earlier this week. Wow.

Peter is one of the few persons out there who's used to the fact that the lower part of her face literally fell off
Yeah I'm not so sure about that He's too wrapped up on himself and his guilt to ever truly get used to it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just started Whispers Underground myself (finally).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm working on Foxglove Summer, which is the latest one I think. It takes Peter out of London for the first time and it's kind of a nice break because things happen more slowly out in the countryside. I am a little sad that the series seems to be outgrowing London just like Dresden outgrew Chicago eventually though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mistaya posted:

I'm working on Foxglove Summer, which is the latest one I think. It takes Peter out of London for the first time and it's kind of a nice break because things happen more slowly out in the countryside. I am a little sad that the series seems to be outgrowing London just like Dresden outgrew Chicago eventually though.

It's gonna happen with any series that runs long enough. Past a certain point your only options are to go stale or raise the stakes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

New to the series, and I just read the first two books in the last week. I'm glad the OP said the first two were the worst in the series, as I can see their flaws becoming unbearable over time. But don't let me give the wrong impression, I really really liked them. Especially Storm Front, which was a lot more fun than Fool Moon.

My biggest gripe so far is Fool Moon's treatment of women. I'm not saying every book has to be make a statement (there's room for all kinds of stories and characters in fiction), and I'm certainly not trying to bring up the arguments from the last couple of pages I just scanned over, but Fool Moon has three major female characters. The first is the hard, tough police officer from the first novel, here relegated to the bitch role of constantly trying to stop our hero from doing what we, the reader, clearly know is right. The second is naked for most of the book, literally thrusting her body at men to distract them. And the third is literally naked while suiting up our hero before the final battle. If the rest of the series is going to be a man's wish fulfillment, that's fine, I like James Bond, too. But I'm hoping this is the worst it gets in that respect.

Again, though. I really liked the books. Can't wait to start the third one, after reading the OP.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Murphy gets less stupid, but women continue to throw themselves at Dresden, usually because they're evil and want to manipulate him. So kinda James Bondy, if James Bond were an awkward nerd who could throw fireballs, nonetheless, the series only gets better, so if you enjoyed the first two you'll have an absolute blast as you go on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Murphy gets better.

The big thing is that Dresden's behavior is (somewhat retroactively) revealed to be kind of lovely and dumb and he stops trying to hide everything from everyone which, unsurprisingly, helps make Murphy chill the hell out. She always is there to call Harry out on his poo poo but Harry needing people to call him out on his poo poo is an established thing and the books play with that. Harry thinking he is right isn't the same as Harry being right.

However you're not going to stop hearing about hot women throwing themselves at Dresden anytime soon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thrawn527 posted:

New to the series, and I just read the first two books in the last week. I'm glad the OP said the first two were the worst in the series, as I can see their flaws becoming unbearable over time. But don't let me give the wrong impression, I really really liked them. Especially Storm Front, which was a lot more fun than Fool Moon.

My biggest gripe so far is Fool Moon's treatment of women. I'm not saying every book has to be make a statement (there's room for all kinds of stories and characters in fiction), and I'm certainly not trying to bring up the arguments from the last couple of pages I just scanned over, but Fool Moon has three major female characters. The first is the hard, tough police officer from the first novel, here relegated to the bitch role of constantly trying to stop our hero from doing what we, the reader, clearly know is right. The second is naked for most of the book, literally thrusting her body at men to distract them. And the third is literally naked while suiting up our hero before the final battle. If the rest of the series is going to be a man's wish fulfillment, that's fine, I like James Bond, too. But I'm hoping this is the worst it gets in that respect.

Again, though. I really liked the books. Can't wait to start the third one, after reading the OP.

This is a valid critique but Murphy at least is, in fact, actually right and actint correctly, given what she knows and what Dresden has told her. Later in the series *he* has character development and their relationship improves. I think part of what Butcher was *trying* to do with fool moon was show how patronizing "chivalry" leads to bad outcomes, though there is an argument over how much he succeeded.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just finished Whispers Underground, which I enjoyed. I have Broken Homes but I'm a bit reluctant to start it, because there's still a couple of months before the Foxglove Summer paperback comes out, then probably a year before The Hanging Tree is out in paperback; I never enjoy catching up with series I started reading after the fact. If I'm reading them as they're published, that's fine - it was fine even when I was eight and desperately waiting for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to come out - which is why I tried to pace myself a bit with these.

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed because one of the blurbs I read beforehand made a lot more of the conflict between Peter and Reynolds; it gave the impression that they were going to have it out because she's got this evangelical background and won't suffer a witch to live, but in the end there wasn't really any of that.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

ImpAtom posted:

However you're not going to stop hearing about hot women throwing themselves at Dresden anytime soon.

This is true, but the variety of female characters also improves along with Murphy chilling out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

effervescible posted:

This is true, but the variety of female characters also improves along with Murphy chilling out.

Murphy doesn't so much chill out, as she gets brought in on what's happening. She's still slamming people into walls (which is awesome), just not doing it to Harry.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

effervescible posted:

Does it? I guess if you count the Ordo Lebes witches, some of whom are described as a bit plump. But still, of the set of female characters in the series, a vast preponderance of them are at least incredibly attractive (many being blistering superhotties), and of these most of these (good or evil) are sexually attracted to Harry. Hell, Butcher even takes one of the handful of women in the series who are of a certain age and deages her into a sexy twentysomething who wants to bone Harry.

And speaking of (early series Murphy), that's the problem with the main character being a jerk without immediately acknowledging that he's acting like a jerk: we as the reader are automatically disposed to sympathize with him over anyone else. I guarantee you that if Fool Moon were about Lieutenant Karrin Murphy of the CPD having to deal with a gruesome murder while also finding out that the weird paranormal consultant who basically lives off of the work she throws his way has been intentionally loving up her investigation, our opinions of the two characters would be very different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair the books really do try to show that Harry fucks up often.

I mean it's fun but holy poo poo how many problems could Harry have solved much more easily if he had an iota of diplomacy in his veins.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair the books really do try to show that Harry fucks up often.

I mean it's fun but holy poo poo how many problems could Harry have solved much more easily if he had an iota of diplomacy in his veins.
Still, you get the feeling the author wants you to think "Harry is an tough badass who is Right" rather than "Christ he can be a fuckup at times".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

Still, you get the feeling the author wants you to think "Harry is an tough badass who is Right" rather than "Christ he can be a fuckup at times".

I feel that was a little early on but by the midpoint I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be an established Harry Is Kind Of A Fuckup trait, sort of like how his treatment of women evolved.

There's absolutely times when Harry mouthing off to people is supposed to be cool and satisfying but there are also plenty of times he ends up paying a really heavy price for something that could have been trivially avoided or where he just can't help himself and usually he gets the utter poo poo beaten out of him because of it.

In general I feel like Harry began as the kind of guy who did all these things unironically but as the books evolved and Butcher got more comfortable he began to adapt it towards it being flaws in Harry instead. Which isn't really a bad thing and it helps keep things feeling a bit more coherent instead of just retconning out elements that go against the flow. It also helps humanize Harry a bit and it makes his mouthing off feel more natural that it works sometimes and other times he gets the poo poo beaten out of him for it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mars4523 posted:

Exactly this.

Compare it with Felix Castor, who is an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat and brings every single problem he has down on himself because he's an rear end in a top hat. There's a scene in the second (I think) book where he needs to get some info from a guy, and while the guy is initially suspicious there's no reason to believe he can't be convinced or bribed or something, but nope, Felix just starts screaming at the guy for no real reason. I stopped reading there series because every situation is like that.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I feel that was a little early on but by the midpoint I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be an established Harry Is Kind Of A Fuckup trait, sort of like how his treatment of women evolved.
Perhaps (although we're talking about Fool Moon which is very early). That said, I feel like we're drifting back towards "Harry is always Right" territory again. Like how in Ghost Story we touched on how Harry's choices hosed everybody else over in a massive way, but now it kind of feels like that's been papered over a bit. If Harry needs to confront the consequences of those actions, I fear that he (and the reader) will view that blowback in terms of how it affects him rather than how it affects his friends and loved ones.

And still, audience reactions to the framing of a story and all that. Murphy presents an obstacle for Harry to overcome and so we don't like her (despite her being in the right). Flip the narrative and have Harry presenting an obstacle (his boneheaded insistence on withholding vital intelligence from the proper authorities who can act on it) for Murphy to overcome and . . .

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mars4523 posted:

The entire point of Ghost Story is how he is such a gently caress up and all the nasty poo poo that happened to others as a result of it and his thinking he is right all the time.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Mars4523 posted:

Perhaps (although we're talking about Fool Moon which is very early). That said, I feel like we're drifting back towards "Harry is always Right" territory again. Like how in Ghost Story we touched on how Harry's choices hosed everybody else over in a massive way, but now it kind of feels like that's been papered over a bit. If Harry needs to confront the consequences of those actions, I fear that he (and the reader) will view that blowback in terms of how it affects him rather than how it affects his friends and loved ones.

And still, audience reactions to the framing of a story and all that. Murphy presents an obstacle for Harry to overcome and so we don't like her (despite her being in the right). Flip the narrative and have Harry presenting an obstacle (his boneheaded insistence on withholding vital intelligence from the proper authorities who can act on it) for Murphy to overcome and . . .

No I'm pretty sure the reason I don't like murphy is that she makes no goddamn sense. Harry is still Wrong, but murphy is just impossible to suspend my disbelief about any more.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just finished Whispers Underground, which I enjoyed. I have Broken Homes but I'm a bit reluctant to start it, because there's still a couple of months before the Foxglove Summer paperback comes out, then probably a year before The Hanging Tree is out in paperback; I never enjoy catching up with series I started reading after the fact. If I'm reading them as they're published, that's fine - it was fine even when I was eight and desperately waiting for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to come out - which is why I tried to pace myself a bit with these.

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed because one of the blurbs I read beforehand made a lot more of the conflict between Peter and Reynolds; it gave the impression that they were going to have it out because she's got this evangelical background and won't suffer a witch to live, but in the end there wasn't really any of that.

You do know online retailers and international shipping are things that exist right? Hell, Bookdepository will even give you free worldwide shipping on all their stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.48 posted:

You do know online retailers and international shipping are things that exist right? Hell, Bookdepository will even give you free worldwide shipping on all their stuff.

Yes?

I'm not sure what point you're making; I prefer paperbacks to hardcovers, that's all.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yes?

I'm not sure what point you're making; I prefer paperbacks to hardcovers, that's all.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Foxglove-Summer-Ben-Aaronovitch/9780756409661

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused now. Amazon says it's out not out until July.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Exactly this.

Compare it with Felix Castor, who is an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat and brings every single problem he has down on himself because he's an rear end in a top hat. There's a scene in the second (I think) book where he needs to get some info from a guy, and while the guy is initially suspicious there's no reason to believe he can't be convinced or bribed or something, but nope, Felix just starts screaming at the guy for no real reason. I stopped reading there series because every situation is like that.

Felix gets better later on. Probably because his assholishness nets him multiple beatings until he ends up in hospital. He also gets better at anti-ghost music.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Mars4523 posted:

Kind of a hardboiled detective genre thing, I'd think.

To quote Brandon Sanderson talking about the Suvudu cage matches which kinda sums it up:

quote:

Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

fordan posted:

Kind of a hardboiled detective genre thing, I'd think.

To quote Brandon Sanderson talking about the Suvudu cage matches which kinda sums it up:

That quote should really go in the OP.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm confused now. Amazon says it's out not out until July.

The US paperback is out (they only get a paperback edition and it comes out midway between the UK hardback and paperback releases)

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

fordan posted:

...talking about the Suvudu cage matches...

'What is a "Suvudu Cage Match?"' turns up nothing incredibly descriptive in Google.

What is a Suvudu and why do people fight it in cages? And what does that have to do with Dresden, besides evoking a very accurate statement from a prolific fantasy author?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Blasphemeral posted:

'What is a "Suvudu Cage Match?"' turns up nothing incredibly descriptive in Google.

What is a Suvudu and why do people fight it in cages? And what does that have to do with Dresden, besides evoking a very accurate statement from a prolific fantasy author?

Suvudu is the website that said cage match story thing appeared on

Edit: I dunno if the Sanderson thing was there but they do regular cage match tournament things with various characters

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ookiimarukochan posted:

The US paperback is out (they only get a paperback edition and it comes out midway between the UK hardback and paperback releases)

It would probably be a slightly different size from the rest of my set. :spergin:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

Suvudu is a website about books/

Every year they put up a bracket of characters from various fantasy series, and have votes on who would win.

Authors often get involved and do a short piece about interesting matches.

For example, Vin vs Zeddicus Zu’l Zorander, which is pretty funny.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blasphemeral posted:

Usually a bunch of garbage that is badly written.

http://suvudu.com/2010/04/cage-match-2010-championship-5-rand-althor-versus-15-jaime-lannister.html

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Tunicate posted:

Ahaha this is great

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tunicate posted:

:allears: oh god this is wonderful. Makes me feel slightly less bitter about reading Sword of Truth.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Rothfuss turned in a nice tribute to Pratchett in the most recent suvudu. Here's his blog (the first google hit for it)

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2015/04/suvudu-cage-match-felurian-vs-death/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So a question I can't recall the answer to with regards to Dresden.

The first time Harry encounters a Naagloshii, Bob makes fun of him for even trying to gender the being, claiming it doesn't reproduce. So how the hell does Goodman Grey work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So a question I can't recall the answer to with regards to Dresden.

The first time Harry encounters a Naagloshii, Bob makes fun of him for even trying to gender the being, claiming it doesn't reproduce. So how the hell does Goodman Grey work?

Bob probably assumed they didn't reproduce.:ssh: