Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

gently caress Lazarus Pits for completely cheapening death in the Arrow universe. We need explanation on the limits of this awful device, and soon.

Its a goddamn reset button built into the series. Hack writers have been using it for decades, I really hoped that the Arrow team knew better.

Dude, they haven't even USED them yet and you're already freaking out and calling the Arrow writing team poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Scyantific posted:

Dude, they haven't even USED them yet and you're already freaking out and calling the Arrow writing team poo poo.

Narcissus1916 is obvious Barry Allen's puppet account. He's back from the future, he's seen the devastation that Lazarus Pits cause, and he's fighting their usage the only way he knows how: bitter posts on an internet comedy forum.

In the future, Ray's still awesome.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Narcissus1916 posted:

gently caress Lazarus Pits for completely cheapening death in the Arrow universe. We need explanation on the limits of this awful device, and soon.

Its a goddamn reset button built into the series. Hack writers have been using it for decades, I really hoped that the Arrow team knew better.

Ras already said something about how 'the healing powers of the waters are losing their effect on him' so it would appear there is a limit to the amount of exposure you can have to the pit before your body develops a resistance to the effect.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm okay with lazarus pits keeping you from aging. That's totally kosher.

But there have been literally tons of stories where characters are burnt, shot, stabbed, impaled, decapitated - but dip them in the mystical do-anything pit and they're back to normal.

Oh yeah, and some stories justify it with a "it'll make you insane for like...a day." as some pittance towards consequence.

Tell me, when you saw Thea or Roy get stabbed did you get swept up in the moment? Or did you go "pits. lol." and shake your head?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Ever since the Sarah reveal way back when I've expected dead characters to show up with little or no explanation all the time. It's a staple of comics and they're not gonna stop doing it :kiddo:

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Narcissus1916 posted:

But there have been literally tons of stories where characters are burnt, shot, stabbed, impaled, decapitated - but dip them in the mystical do-anything pit and they're back to normal.

Oh yeah, and some stories justify it with a "it'll make you insane for like...a day." as some pittance towards consequence.

Tell me, when you saw Thea or Roy get stabbed did you get swept up in the moment? Or did you go "pits. lol." and shake your head?

I'm hoping they will increase the insanity effects as a justification for never using them again.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

With Roy I thought he was right hosed.

With Thea I assumed it was a ploy to get Ollie to join since him joining would mean access to the Lazarus Pit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Narcissus1916 posted:

We need explanation on the limits of this awful device, and soon.
We kinda have one already. They already mention that the Pits lose potency each time it's used. Using it to bring someone back to life will probably deplete this Pit outright.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Narcissus1916 posted:

What's the difference between a Pit and mirakuru bringing you back to life?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

BrianWilly posted:

We kinda have one already. They already mention that the Pits lose potency each time it's used. Using it to bring someone back to life will probably deplete this Pit outright.

They were losing their effect on Ras himself from continued use, that's it.

edit: I hope we get some fish out of water Nyssa stuff soon, it's funny :)

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Floppychop posted:

With Thea I assumed it was a ploy to get Ollie to join since him joining would mean access to the Lazarus Pit.

Yeah, there is no other reason to have Ra's kill her himself.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone else see Sarah in the trailer?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Crowsbeak posted:

I can't tell if it was Sara or Laurel in the outfit.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

I thought it was her for sure but I think it's Laurel

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TLG James posted:

All the mirakuru in the world is gone now.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Valeyard posted:

If that's Laurel she's wearing Sara's costume...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Valeyard posted:

Actually only Sara's costume has the exposed arms. Laurel's is full coverage.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There we go then, mission accomplished

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh man I completely forgot about Merlyn. Maybe uniting Ollie and Merlyn in pissed off gonna gently caress you up mode wasn't the best of ideas.

I mean I know he's trying to get Ollie to kill him and take his place, but drat son, you just brought the entire team down on your head.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
code:
 [spoiler]Thing from preview, interview, or set photo[/spoiler] 
poo poo ain't hard.

TLG James posted:

None, really. They're both pretty dumb and cheapen death.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think it's worse that they busted it out for Thea, but not Ollie. She just isn't important enough.

Also lmao at Merlyn's entire plan to save Thea's life backfiring just a little bit.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 16, 2015

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I think it's worse that they busted it out for Thea, but not Ollie. She just isn't important enough.

Also lmao at Merlyn's entire plan to save Thea's life backfiring just a little bit.

I think that it holds up to Ollies reasoning. He was willing to let himself die/rot in prison/go away, but he will (presumably) without a second thought take up the mantle of the Demon's Head in order to save Thea. If he had access to the Pit from the beginning, he would argue that it should never be used for him, but immediately dunk Thea given the necessity

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JohnSherman posted:

code:
 [spoiler]Thing from preview, interview, or set photo[/spoiler] 
poo poo ain't hard.

None, really. They're both pretty dumb and cheapen death.

Are spoiler tags needed for previews too?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah gently caress the writing team for introducing and using a tool that's directly connected to the season's villain, right? :jerkbag:

Seriously, the pits were just introduced. It's not like they decided to go grab Tommy, Moira, Robert, Yao Fei, and Shado and toss them all into the pit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah gently caress them for including a important part of the season villain mythos. I mean its not like the pits were introduced at the same time as Ra's was?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah gently caress them for including a important part of the season villain mythos. I mean its not like the pits were introduced at the same time as Ra's was?

I agree, people who write comics are bad at telling good stories.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JohnSherman posted:

I agree, people who write comics are bad at telling good stories.

Like Arrow as they have comic book writers on the writing staff!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

TLG James posted:

Because Mirakuru is meant to kill you some 95% of the time. They were burning through henchmen in season 2 to get one Grundy.

Sure it's worked on every named character, but hey.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Like Arrow as they have comic book writers on the writing staff!

So we agree.

I love how whenever the Lazarus Pit is (rightly) attacked as a lovely plot device, people defend it not by saying how it's actually clever or compelling, but by saying that it's always been part of the character. "We've always done it like this" is not a good reason to continue doing something.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Name ONE person on ARROW that has been brought back to life using the Pits.

Ra's healing his hand does not count.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I would like to take the time out again to remember that if this was season 1 I would be ecstatic at the idea of Thea getting run through not horrified and fearful at what will happen to her after getting dunked in the Pit

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

So we agree.

I love how whenever the Lazarus Pit is (rightly) attacked as a lovely plot device, people defend it not by saying how it's actually clever or compelling, but by saying that it's always been part of the character. "We've always done it like this" is not a good reason to continue doing something.

Have you tried being clever or compelling? It's exhausting.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Scyantific posted:

Yeah gently caress the writing team for introducing and using a tool that's directly connected to the season's villain, right? :jerkbag:

Seriously, the pits were just introduced. It's not like they decided to go grab Tommy, Moira, Robert, Yao Fei, and Shado and toss them all into the pit.

Oh poo poo, remember that episode where they introduced Shado's secret twin sister?

That was really really stupid

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Man, it sure would've been more compelling when Ras killed Thea if he hadn't stabbed Oliver in exactly the same way and Oliver was fine a couple weeks later.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

boom boom boom posted:

Man, it sure would've been more compelling when Ras killed Thea if he hadn't stabbed Oliver in exactly the same way and Oliver was fine a couple weeks later.

But Oliver doesn't know how to make tea from ~the mysterious orient~.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh hey, they removed a character! Finally an actual change!

...wait, it was just Roy. We're still in the same situation as usual considering he was a non-entity in the show. Okay.

The fake-out with Roy/Thea was pretty good, as was everyone saying bye to Roy. Brandon Routh is still the best part of season 3. It's pretty sad how despite being an absolutely good person who has been nothing but helpful, he gets repaid by Felicity being an idiot who wants to gently caress someone else but can't just go and say it to him, instead she's constantly wavering between "do I love Ray no I love Oliver but let's gently caress and kiss Ray and pretend I'm a couple but wait Oliver".

Both Arrow and Flash really need to stop every romantic plot forever. They're really, really bad and only make characters more unlikable.

At least Oliver seems to be slightly growing as a character? Too little, too late, but hey maybe it will lead to something. Just maybe. I'd rather watch a full show about The Atom though, considering he doesn't make me want to punch him in the face repeatedly.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if post-pit Thea will become Speedy. With Roy gone, the sidekick slot is open, and she's in on the secret.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Are spoiler tags needed for previews too?

Yes. I don't think people bother to report it, but it is a rule.

quote:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

ERROR: Ballsack Armor Failure

• Locked thread