Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie would probably get to play more if he didn't insist on sitting at 1/3 health :v:

Probably for the best, his sense of direction has apparently vanished since DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I find it hilarious whenever he starts spinning around or attacking air while Pat shouts at him and points at stuff IRL. Well that and a bit depressing.
Can we get Mortal Kombat every day instead? I'd watch that for 3 months in a row (you know BB will take that long).

Oh man Liam is loving furious.

Liam on Reddit posted:

GOD loving gently caress PAT I TOLD HIM YOU GET THE BADGE WITH WHICH TO BUY THE PILE BUNKER JESUS CHRIST

HGH fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 16, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, those Mortal Kombat story mode fights look freakishly hard.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Woolie would probably get to play more if he didn't insist on sitting at 1/3 health :v:

Probably for the best, his sense of direction has apparently vanished since DS2.

Well that sense of direction was a ginger shouting where to go in his ear, in between getting lore wrong, so that element is indeed gone. Personally I feel it is better for it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Personally I feel it is better for it.

Man Woolie literally can't sort his mental map out without Pat pointing at the TV, that's no good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In terms of Bloodborne's map I really can't blame him, that game has like a twisty turny cobble brick road and stairs fetish or something.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RareAcumen posted:

They're pretty difficult sometimes. I got rocked as Kotal Khan a few times. But it's hard to transition from SF to MK since the systems are so different. Plus the block button is throwing me for a loop a lot of the time.

hoobajoo posted:

Well that sense of direction was a ginger shouting where to go in his ear, in between getting lore wrong, so that element is indeed gone. Personally I feel it is better for it.

Bloodborne is a Metroidvania.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Man Woolie literally can't sort his mental map out without Pat pointing at the TV, that's no good.

What I mean is, not having one expert has improved the entertainment value of the LP over DS2. It also helps that Bloodborne is a much better game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

With how Johnny Cage is a able to beat up literal gods and have random "mystical powers ooo" I'm hoping the stinger is that MK X is literally just one of his movies.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

johnny cage is the greatest fighting game character of all time

RecursiveFault
Feb 18, 2015

CJacobs posted:

The way Woolie says 'Gascoigne' is both great and terrible. :allears:
It sounds like a duck noise. "GasQUACK"

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Johnny Cage is the hero we deserve.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The way Woolie says 'Gascoigne' is both great and terrible. :allears:

I knew no one would know how to pronounce his name as soon as he showed up but I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape over the mispronunciation.

I remembered 'Dark Souls players' by the time I typed bent but my fingers wouldn't stop typing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

With how Johnny Cage is a able to beat up literal gods and have random "mystical powers ooo" I'm hoping the stinger is that MK X is literally just one of his movies.

He's descended from a Mediterranean warrior cult, he says so himself. It's a reference to one of his arcade endings.

Smoke's line about being an Enenra is also a reference to his MK9 arcade ending. Smoke was a Czech kid killed by a cult as a sacrifice and came back as a ghost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBndCAlHD0s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

I knew no one would know how to pronounce his name as soon as he showed up but I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape over the mispronunciation.

I remembered 'Dark Souls players' by the time I typed bent but my fingers wouldn't stop typing.

Woolie's pronunciation of Gascoigne has nothing to do with Dark Souls players please stop projecting on me finding it funny

edit: Although there probably are people out there who really are upset about it so :shrug:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 16, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

They're not for the most part, but it feels like the AI is just reading your inputs even in normal mode story mode at times. Nothing really took me more than one try except like the loving final boss and fighting Jax with Sonya, for some reason.

RareAcumen posted:

Literally everyone in here at some point or another has shat on one of the guys for being terrible at pronouncing things. I think one of my favorite things I've heard them mispronounce was Pat saying the english voice actors of Guilty Gear can't even say Ky's last name right, when he in fact is the one who can't say it right and even the Japanese VAs don't pronounce it anywhere near the same way he does.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Woolie's pronunciation of Gascoigne has nothing to do with Dark Souls players please stop projecting on me finding it funny

edit: Although there probably are people out there who really are upset about it so :shrug:

If someone quotes you about something the 2Best Friends have done and you think they're projecting onto you, chances are that they mean in the comments sections of their videos.

Gascoigne is sorta Italian looking so it's totally out of my pronunciation scope and I'm probably mispronouncing it too. v:v:v

Beef Waifu posted:

They're not for the most part, but it feels like the AI is just reading your inputs even in normal mode story mode at times. Nothing really took me more than one try except like the loving final boss and fighting Jax with Sonya, for some reason.

Oh alright then. I never really had any vested interest in Mortal Kombat so I wouldn't know if that was normal but they seem to be big on fighting games so even if they're not mind-reading psychics at this point I would assume the fights are really hard if one of them are having trouble with them.

Beef Waifu posted:

Literally everyone in here at some point or another has shat on one of the guys for being terrible at pronouncing things. I think one of my favorite things I've heard them mispronounce was Pat saying the english voice actors of Guilty Gear can't even say Ky's last name right, when he in fact is the one who can't say it right and even the Japanese VAs don't pronounce it anywhere near the same way he does.

Well yeah, but I'm just talking about in the youtube comments.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

Oh alright then. I never really had any vested interest in Mortal Kombat so I wouldn't know if that was normal but they seem to be big on fighting games so even if they're not mind-reading psychics at this point I would assume the fights are really hard if one of them are having trouble with them.

Even pro players would have trouble with stuff like this because you can't fight a computer like you can a person. One can actually make mistakes you can capitalize on, the other is a mind-reading machine that is meant to make you suffer and halt progress.

It is up to you to decide which is which.

RareAcumen posted:

Well yeah, but I'm just talking about in the youtube comments.

My bad then.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Gas-can is my favourite pronunciation of his name

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gaskwan is the closest we will ever hear Woolie pronounce a word in a french-canadian dialect so we may as well savor it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Just call him Gazza. Father Gazza.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Rodyle posted:

It's because him and Pat both still don't realize that the blood vials are incredibly plentiful so there's really no sense in being so sparing with them. I understand the thinking, but I've already had a few moments where I couldn't pick up any more vials because my inventory/storage was maxed out and I'm by no means a great player that never heals. If nothing else, they're also cheap to buy.

And coming off DS2 level design, it's not a huge surprise that Woolie is getting a bit lost. That game was not nearly so interconnected as this one. Some levels are going to be really rough going if he's having trouble navigating the city areas though. Pat's having moments too, like his complete shock about that shortcut they opened that wasn't where he thought it was, to the point where he was doubting whether they opened one at all. :v:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just listened to the latest podcast and I'd like to say Liam is 100% correct on the usage of Metroidvania and I'll fight for senpai over it if needed be.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dias posted:

Just call him Gazza. Father Gazza.

Gas-Krang?

Beef Waifu posted:

Is the final boss as bad as Shao Kahn was at the end of MK9?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dias posted:

I just listened to the latest podcast and I'd like to say Liam is 100% correct on the usage of Metroidvania and I'll fight for senpai over it if needed be.

I also agree with Liam. He really laid out the law and other people are super wrong. Even if Liam is too nice to say it (on air).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can't listen to the podcast right now but I'm going to pre-emptively say that if his explanation isn't "It's a dumb unnecessary genre simplification that people say when they actually mean "like Metroid"," then I will be disappointed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The term is dumb and vague anyway and is just a buzzword bad indies use to get press these days and which occasionally gets used on a good game (Axiom Verge and Ori are really fuckin' good).

I can see it's usefulness as a banner term for games of both types but I don't think Liam's definition really helps for categorization purposes because then you've got obvious Metroid games and then Metroidvanias anyway. You may as well give Castlevania it's due and call a game like it a Castlevania-like or some such nonsense. He's not wrong, though, I just wish there was a name for them that didn't sound so damned stupid.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Language doesn't work the way Liam thinks it does, you can't always break a word into its components and just conclude its meaning from that alone. Otherwise, "anti-semite" would mean hating people from a huge swath of land including parts of Africa and Arabia. But no, it means hating Jews, because that word has taken on meaning beyond its literal construction. I'd argue Metroidvania is similar; it has gained a broader meaning than what it breaks down to.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
It's almost like language is a fluid concept, and being pedantic about it like Liam is about everything is a bad way of going about it.

Also, is Pat getting spicier these past few weeks? I've heard more "shitheads" being thrown out by him as of late. It's good. Counteracts Matt seeming to be making GBS threads on everything and everyone the past month. We need more vitriol, dammit!

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hoobajoo posted:

Language doesn't work the way Liam thinks it does, you can't always break a word into its components and just conclude its meaning from that alone. Otherwise, "anti-semite" would mean hating people from a huge swath of land including parts of Africa and Arabia. But no, it means hating Jews, because that word has taken on meaning beyond its literal construction. I'd argue Metroidvania is similar; it has gained a broader meaning than what it breaks down to.

I feel like the distinction is important because otherwise the word would have no purpose.

pulp rag posted:

It's almost like language is a fluid concept, and being pedantic about it like Liam is about everything is a bad way of going about it.

Dude this isn't Vietnam there are rules.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 16, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

pulp rag posted:

Also, is Pat getting spicier these past few weeks? I've heard more "shitheads" being thrown out by him as of late. It's good. Counteracts Matt seeming to be making GBS threads on everything and everyone the past month. We need more vitriol, dammit!

Is Matt hating everything a thing? I don't remember him being overly negative, except to (deservedly) bust on Life is Strange ep 2.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

Is Matt hating everything a thing? I don't remember him being overly negative, except to (deservedly) bust on Life is Strange ep 2.

I dunno, it's probably just me but like the past few podcasts has been him getting on Pat's and Woolie's case about stuff, in addition to being super standoffish to Tumblr asks. I'd have to go back and listen/look to remember the stuff he said - I remember him giving Pat poo poo for like 10 minutes at the beginning of the podcast like 3 weeks ago - but I remember it mostly just being a weird vibe. Honestly, thinking about it, it could have just been poo poo with his dad putting him on edge.

Not gonna rag on the dude for it, just something I've observed. I'm gonna drop it, since it doesn't really effect the quality of the podcast/videos.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Welcome to the super best thread, please do not psychoanalyze the content creators

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
In other news, Bloodborne Part 14 is up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9DEWO8USc4 They are throwing Liam under the bus for that pile bunker stuff. He is going to be so mad.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Liam is already super pissed.

Like I said, we need more salt!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just gonna post this again cause visualizing it is hilarious.

Liam on Reddit posted:

GOD loving gently caress PAT I TOLD HIM YOU GET THE BADGE WITH WHICH TO BUY THE PILE BUNKER JESUS CHRIST

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

drat, they get so greedy when fighting with Blood-Starved Beast. I don't blame them, though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

HGH posted:

Just gonna post this again cause visualizing it is hilarious.

Next podcast is going to be fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

drat, they get so greedy when fighting with Blood-Starved Beast. I don't blame them, though.

They just didn't get greedy enough. Should have been more aggressive. Blood starved beast is really non-threatening when you are on its side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoobajoo posted:

Language doesn't work the way Liam thinks it does, you can't always break a word into its components and just conclude its meaning from that alone.

Yeah, but he's still right tho.