Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I feel Wedgewood is greatly improved with a map of Germany sitting next to you as you read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eeeeh the US had a considerable qualitative advantage in a number of respects, particular AA guns and so on as the war dragged on.

I guess it wasn't clear that I was joking and agreeing with Alchenar - i.e. that the losing side tends to have a tendency to talk about how they were totally the better fighters and only lost because the other side cheated and bought superior numbers, no, really, ignore any signs of the other side being at all cunning or effective. The Wehrmacht in particular if I recall was guilty of this, and come to think of the it the US in the Korean War as well.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ofaloaf posted:

The ideal, imo, would be to have characters speak in the English-language equivalents to their own regional accents in their native tongue, but that'd be a bit tricky.
I'm trying to imagine doing that for Germany, and :pwn:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

I'm trying to imagine doing that for Germany, and :pwn:

Just have them all speak in British accents and make the rowdy peasants be Cockney or Scottish, and film it all in the gray countryside of Wales. That's all the work you ever need to do.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

TheChimney posted:

What are your recommendation(s) for readable histories of the 30 years war?

Actually - I would love it if everyone posted their reading recommendations for their conflict of choice.

For the Vietnam War, Turley's "The Second Indochina War: A Concise Political and Military History" is the gold standard contemporary textbook. If you want something a little more literary, Sheehan's "A Bright Shining Lie" covers pretty much everything that matters, and is a great biography of a fascinating, exemplary, and tragic figure of 20th century American military power and statecraft.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chitoryu12 posted:

Just have them all speak in British accents and make the rowdy peasants be Cockney or Scottish, and film it all in the gray countryside of Wales. That's all the work you ever need to do.

Yeah, that's basically what they did with HBO's Rome isn't it? I'm just a lowly colonial though, so my grasp on British accents is really crude.

Also, Rome was such an amazing show. Having just watched that, and the newest episode of Game of Thrones really reminded me how much better the former is.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Rome was rocking and a shame it never got a 3rd series, it wrapped up nicely though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty understandable why it got cut though, that $110M budget for the first series is pretty bananas. Just came a few years too early.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If you're interested in Vietnam, you can do a lot worse than We Were Soldiers Once, And Young.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty understandable why it got cut though, that $110M budget for the first series is pretty bananas. Just came a few years too early.

Jesus, that was the budget?

I guess we can just imagine the post Octavain Augustus Caesar dickery.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

They should have done the 3rd series with hand puppets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Jesus, that was the budget?

I guess we can just imagine the post Octavain Augustus Caesar dickery.

Yeah, and in 2002, before social media and the HBO explosion.

As all TV show (co-)creators seem to, Heller planned for it being much longer than it was:

quote:

I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the Messiah in Israel. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around.

Just imagine if they could have taken the extra like $2M that GoT got for Blackwater, and used it to film Pharsalus or something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A season on Tiberius seems like it would really have been boring as gently caress. "you guys in the Senate do whatever, going to Campania l8rz"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tomn posted:

The US Navy didn't beat the Imperial Japanese Navy because they were better, they just had more of everything, and would have totally lost if all of their units had lined up against their opposite numbers in a duel to the death.

See also Nazi Germany and their complaints about the Red Army.

Like you don't see the Vietnamese or the PLA complaining against having to fight the US industrial economy (though probably because they ended up achieving their strategic goals).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tomn posted:

I guess it wasn't clear that I was joking and agreeing with Alchenar - i.e. that the losing side tends to have a tendency to talk about how they were totally the better fighters and only lost because the other side cheated and bought superior numbers, no, really, ignore any signs of the other side being at all cunning or effective. The Wehrmacht in particular if I recall was guilty of this, and come to think of the it the US in the Korean War as well.

Imagine it from the German side. You kick off Barbarossa with huge successes and you deal with so many guys you're expecting them to collapse any day now. After a while of you and them trading gut blows and chewing up more and more men, they start hitting you and they've got three or so times the men. And from there on out, whenever you fight them in numbers, they've got something like three to five times the men and they just keep hitting you, and you don't think they're concentrating force there in a huge way, so it feels like they're just got some hugely greater number of men, after you've gutted their army.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JaucheCharly posted:

Literally any match against the Khergits. I can only recall winning once.
Find a hill, get everyone to hold it and shield wall up while they start to circle. They eventually run out of arrows and have to charge, and then you counter-charge downhill and murder them all.

quote:

Fifth was going to be the rise of the Messiah in Israel.
This would have been awesome to see if they handled it like they did the first two seasons. The amount of information that there just plain isn't about the shenanigans in a relatively minor province of the Empire... I can just imagine the rage. Thinking about it and looking back on my Latin education, there was literally no mention of it at all in the course, because interesting things were happening literally everywhere else instead.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fangz posted:

Back in WWI, the Germans were able to win against the Russian Empire despite facing a much greater numerical disadvantage.

Whenever people ramble on about the Soviets being incompetent and terrible at fighting and only won through superior numbers I tell them that they were thinking of WWI, not WWII, and it didn't work out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

Like you don't see the Vietnamese or the PLA complaining against having to fight the US industrial economy (though probably because they ended up achieving their strategic goals).

Isaac Asimov interestingly enough made the same observation; the US can complain about being "outnumbered" all it wants but on the flipside why can't the PLA complain about being outnumbered in calories the US could spend in terms of energy expended?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Find a hill, get everyone to hold it and shield wall up while they start to circle. They eventually run out of arrows and have to charge, and then you counter-charge downhill and murder them all.
This would have been awesome to see if they handled it like they did the first two seasons. The amount of information that there just plain isn't about the shenanigans in a relatively minor province of the Empire... I can just imagine the rage. Thinking about it and looking back on my Latin education, there was literally no mention of it at all in the course, because interesting things were happening literally everywhere else instead.

Probably was gonna have what's his face, Octavia's manservant/assassin be a Christian disciple or a Jewish zealot. Or both. Probably too old to survive until the first revolt, though. Would have been interesting to see Josephus's shenanigans if they got that far.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Titus Pullo going to Germania and taming a tribe there becoming a Barbarian General :black101:.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Titus Pullo going to Germania and taming a tribe there becoming a Barbarian General :black101:.

TItus Pullo then goes and orchestrates the Teutoberg Forest ambush.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Unpopular opinion: I'm kind of glad HBO's Rome ended before it wound up overlapping with my beloved I, Claudius.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

If you're interested in Vietnam, you can do a lot worse than We Were Soldiers Once, And Young.

Agreed. The book is eminently readable even if you're not a sperg, and gives a good view of the lead-up to the helicopter assaults, particularly from a mid-level leadership point of view.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously HBO, why aren't you going to use this.
Someone did already, and it's pretty baller

edit: Plus an inaccurate romantic subplot!

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 16, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The British Army begins suspending prison sentences for soldiers convicted of military crimes, a cavalry trooper has what the paper might call a "Thrilling Experience" on Hill 60 as he tries to work out what all the clanging and banging from the German lines is about, and Sir Ian Hamilton continues his diet of hard work, gentle self-bullshit and casual racism.

quote:

Worked all day in my office like a friend of the family and by mid-day had got almost as black as my simile! We are coaling and life has grown dark and noisy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Japanese Explosive Ordnance: Army and Navy Ammunition

Army Projectiles: Part 11

15cm Ammunition

There are three 150mm Howitzers and for 150mm Gun in use by the Japanese Army. These weapons vary greatly in design from a very short range howitzer to long range field guns. The projectiles for 150mm ammunition are not as interchangeable as in the 75mm or 105mm sizes. Usually there is one type of projectile designed for use in the howitzers and another type designed for use in the guns. Even when the same projectile is used in both howitzers and guns, it will differ in that it will have a single rotating band when it is used in a howitzer, but when used in a gun it will have a double rotating band. All the weapons with the exception of the Type 89 gun, which uses a bag charge, use semifixed ammunition. The cases and projectiles will be treated separately, as was done with 75mm and 105mm ammunition.

Type 92 15cm (150mm) High Explosive Projectile

Weight of projectile complete: 36kg
Weight of filling: No Data
Filling: Angoyaku (RDX and ammonium nitrate)
Diameter at bourrelet: 149mm
Length overall (w/o fuze): 563.6mm
Length protruding from case (w/o fuze): 506.4mm
Width of rotating band: 20mm

Fuzing:
-Type 88 instantaneous nose fuze
-Type 88 short delay nose fuze

Used in:
-Type 4 year howitzer, case A 10 and 3/16 inches - case B 8 and 7/8 inches
-Type 96 howitzer, case 12 and 5/8 inches
-Type 38 howitzer case 4 and 1/4 inches

Type 93 15cm (150mm) High Explosive Projectile

*I believe the this projectile is named incorrectly in its drawing

Weight of projectile, filled (w/o fuze): 40.29kg
Filling: Cast TNT
Diameter at copper bourrelet: 149.3mm
Length overall (w/o fuze): 593.7mm
Length protruding from case (w/o fuze): 544mm
Width of rotating band:
-Forward: 25.4mm
-Aft: 19.1mm
Width of copper bourrelet: 31.75mm

Fuzing:
-Type 90 instantaneous short delay fuze

Used in:
-Type 89
-Type 45 gun, case 48 and 1/32 inches
-Type 7 year gun, case 48 and 1/32 inches
-Type 90 gun, case 48 and 1/32 inches

Type 92 15cm (150mm) High Explosive Long Pointed Projectile

Weight of projectile, filled (w/o fuze): 30.9kg
Weight of filling: 5.0kg
Diameter at bourrelet: 148mm
Length overall (w/o fuze): 581mm
Length protruding from case: 492.1mm
Width of rotating band: 14.28mm
Width at copper bourrelet: 19.1mm

Fuzing:
-Type 88 instantaneous nose fuze
-Type 88 short delay nose fuze

Used in:

Type 93 15cm (150mm) High Explosive Long Pointed Projectile

Weight of projectile, filled (w/o fuze): 40.23kg
Diameter of copper bourrelet: 149.2mm
Length overall (w/o fuze): 620.2mm
Length protruding from case (w/o fuze): 516mm
Width of rotating band:
Width of copper bourrelet: 31.8mm

Fuzing:
-Type 90 instantaneous short delay fuze

Used in:
-Type 89

Type 95 15cm (150mm) Armor Piercing High Explosive Projectile

Weight of projectile, filled and fuzed: 36.1kg
Weight of filling: 2.3kg
Filling: Two preformed blocks of high grade TNT
Diameter at bourrelet: 150mm
Length of projectile (w/o fuze): 449.3
Length protruding from case: 406.4mm
Width of rotating band: 20.6mm

Fuzing:
-Type 95 medium howitzer mortar base fuze

Used in:
-Type 89 gun, Bag Charge

Remarks: When this projectile is used in a howitzer, it has a single rotating band, but when it is used in guns it has a double rotating band.

15cm (150mm) Armor Piercing High Explosive Projectile

Weight of projectile, filled: 44.54kg
Weight of filling: 5.2kg
Filling: Picric acid in two preformed, paper-wrapped blocks.
Diameter at copper bourrelet: 149.2mm
Length overall: 584.2mm
Length protruding from case (w/o fuze): 544.5mm
Width of rotating band:

Fuzing:
-Type 88 small base fuze

Used in:
-Type 89 gun

Remarks: When this projectile is used in a howitzer, it has a single rotating band, but when it is used in guns it has a double rotating band.

Type 13 Year Smoke (W.P.) Projectile

Weight of projectile, filled (w/o fuze): 33.63kg
Bursting Charge: Cast Picric Acid - 1kg
Chemical Agent: 3.62kg
-W.P. is contained in a brass cylinder fitted below the bursting charge. To prevent movement within the projectile, the container is surrounded by wax.
Diameter at bourrelet: 149.2mm
Length overall (w/o fuze): 487.4mm
Length protruding from case (w/o fuze): 471.5mm
Width of rotating band: 15mm

Fuzing:
-Type 88 instantaneous nose fuze (Howitzer, Mortar)

Used in:
-Type 4th Year howitzer, case A 10 and 3/16 inches - case B 8 and 7/8 inches
-Type 38 howitzer, case 4 and 1/4 inches

30cm (305mm) Armor Piercing High Explosive Projectile

Weight of projectile: No Data
Weight of filling: No data
Filling: No Data
Diameter at bourrelet: 305mm
Length overall: 1,071mm
Length protruding from case: 1,027
Width of rotating band: 53mm

Fuzing:
-Type 95 Large Mk 2 Model 2 base fuze

Used in:
-Type 7 year 30cm Howitzer

30cm (305mm) Armor Piercing High Explosive Projectile

Weight of projectile (approx.): 680 lbs
Filling: No Data
Diameter at bourrelet: 305mm
Length overall: 1,240mm
Length protruding from case: 1,198mm
Width of rotating band: 53mm

Fuzing:
-Type 95 large Mk 2 Model 2 base fuze

Used in:
-Type 7 year 30cm howitzer

Next Time: IJA Rockets and the beginning looks at IJA Mortars Projectiles

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 22, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Biffmotron posted:

If you want something a little more literary, Sheehan's "A Bright Shining Lie" covers pretty much everything that matters, and is a great biography of a fascinating, exemplary, and tragic figure of 20th century American military power and statecraft.

Thanks for this recommendation! I found it on audiobook, and Robertson Dean is one of my favorite readers/voice actors.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks for this recommendation! I found it on audiobook, and Robertson Dean is one of my favorite readers/voice actors.
The Best And The Brightest is good too

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Rincewind posted:

Unpopular opinion: I'm kind of glad HBO's Rome ended before it wound up overlapping with my beloved I, Claudius.

HBO and BBC2 got the rights to do a new I, Claudius miniseries, but that was in 2011 and there hasn't been any news since.

Home Box Office, where are my eagles?

Digiwizzard fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 16, 2015

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
In the tradition of war related advertisements.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Somebody needs to make a desperate cable television sales advertisement using all that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Patrick Spens posted:

In the tradition of war related advertisements.

I quite like the spirit of that poem above the ad, though the poem itself isn't really very good.

"Here's to the CONTINENT, God's gift to the free!
Here's defiance to tyrants across the blue sea!
They shall quake at the names of Grant, Sherman, and Lee!
Now that Richmond has fallen!"

It's such a hopeful, wildly enthusiastic poem. I especially like how it envisions Grant, Sherman, and Lee all fighting together in some future conflict, united again and telling everyone to gently caress off because they're the best and most proven generals in all the world and they're at peace once more and America's back, baby!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Man it must have sucked for people who were so optimistic thinking the South would just accept defeat and support the reconstruction of their cities and society.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

FAUXTON posted:

Man it must have sucked for people who were so optimistic thinking the South would just accept defeat and support the reconstruction of their cities and society.

Burn it again IMO.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Richmond has fallen! this of course means low low prices for everyone involved! these deals cannot be beat even by those crazy northern carpet baggers!

For example, take this pile of genuine butternut brown and slightly blood soaked Confederate shell jackets! only previously worn once and battle damaged for that extra authentic feel you'd be downright crazy and against states rights not to pick up this bargain!

More of the sentimental type? well why not take this still burning pile of lumber part of the many still burning buildings of Richmond! It is a HOT HOT deal!

Remember, we only accept US Federal dollars now, or lead to cast bullets! no other legal tender accepted!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

This is an AUTHENTIC pile of ashes from Atlanta!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago in WWI

Could you add a way to search the advertisements? I can't find the London ad for "A Tremendous Slaughter of Prices". We're cutting prices like machine gunners cut down men. Deals stack up in heaps everywhere.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

October 23rd 1914, and not easily, although I'll probably go back there and make sure "Tremendous Slaughter in Prices" appears in the text of the entry so it can be searched for directly.

edit: apparently I wasn't doing Our Advertising Feature at that point, but it should pop up here in just a moment.

Anyone for The Crow Master Vibrator? Only 29 shillings and ninepence!

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 16, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Disinterested posted:

Burn it again IMO.

It wasn't the burning that helped, it was the federal occupation and civil protections enforced by those soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

FAUXTON posted:

It wasn't the burning that helped, it was the federal occupation and civil protections enforced by those soldiers.

Yeah but that only happens if you let them know who won and who lost.

• Locked thread