Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

No, they only range from disabled to 4 to 1, and within each priority they have internal priorities of their own, so basically unless you make cleaning priority 1 (e.g.) then certain tasks just never get done because they're overridden by others in the same user priority.

Pretty much this. Because of it, people either clean all the time or none of the time and it's basically impossible to get a middle ground unless the only other job the have to do is doctoring or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's also annoying that dirt spawns everywhere all the time, and you have dudes drop what they're doing to rush out 200 tiles to clean a spot on the solar panel and then run back to eat a sandwich and then run out to clean a puddle of barf way out somewhere else and rush home to masturbate and...

i.e. it'd be nice if you could let cleaning jobs queue up until the end of a typical working day, how it is often done in the real world

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played in a couple updates but that mod that lets you build robots has a cleaning robot that I use just for that purpose. Cleans 24/7 except for when it returns to its charging pad to refill the batteries.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Moridin920 posted:

I haven't played in a couple updates but that mod that lets you build robots has a cleaning robot that I use just for that purpose. Cleans 24/7 except for when it returns to its charging pad to refill the batteries.

What mod is this? I desperately need an army of roombas for my prison/kitchen.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The mod is called Mechanical Defense 2: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7380.0. Unsurprisingly, it hasn't updated to Alpha 10 yet.

My personal favourite droid from it is the one that automatically strips bodies and cremates them on site. Since we still don't have an option in vanilla to simply tell everyone to drop what they're doing and go strip/bury/burn the mountains of dead clogging up the killbox, I find it to be one of the single most useful quality-of-life tools I've ever seen in a mod.

Note that the mod also adds a bunch of other stuff in addition to the droids, like a special wall that can be raised and lowered, and deep storage containers that allow you to store more than 1000 units of items - great if you want to pack a load of mats you typically have a lot of - metal, stone blocks, textiles etc - in one spot. Naturally, the whole package is pretty unbalanced with the base game.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing that most impressed me about that is that you don't have to micro manage the robots in terms of worrying about them running out of charge (I think they explode if they do or something).

You can manually control them and gently caress it up but left to their own devices they always seem to know when they need to stop what they're doing and get back to a charge pad. They even take large distances into account, it seems like.

Cremation robot is awesome, too, yeah.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rev 10b has been released, fyi.

e:

quote:

Added new joy activity: build snowman.
(A10) Balance changes, adjustments, and bugfixes.
(A10) Locking doors is instant again (as it’s really forbidding them, not locking them).
(A10) Trees are sowable again.
(A10) Alpha 10b released.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

No, they only range from disabled to 4 to 1, and within each priority they have internal priorities of their own, so basically unless you make cleaning priority 1 (e.g.) then certain tasks just never get done because they're overridden by others in the same user priority.

e: my own approach is to set everyone's cleaning to 2 but that only starts to work when you have 5-6 people :shrug:

Strictly speaking, priority is calculated by number, then left to right.

So, two jobs with priority two, will be done after priority one jobs, before priority three jobs, and the leftmost one will be done before the rightmost one.

Using a combination of these two you can set up quite complex priorities.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I know for sure custom jobs have hardcoded priorities, I was pretty sure they all did.

E.g. this is why mining is always done before stonecutting in vanilla, and why there are mods that bump up stonecutting's internal priority

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They might have hardcoded priorities but to my knowledge, they are still left to right as displayed on the priorities screen by default. Mods of course could work any way.

Also I believe stonecutting is now part of the generic craft job, not the mining job.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh that's useful, thanks because currently no stonecutting is getting done in the colony I'm running. I'll have a look at that new priority slot.

e: Max difficulty is actually fairly difficult now, aside from straight numbers of invaders, that's neat.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 17, 2015

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Rev 10b has been released, fyi.

I'm glad he reversed the door locking/forbidding change. It was definitely one of his more baffling decisions.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm more weirded out by the tree change, why is that?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This new version feels just way harder, which is great. I think a lot of that is me being forced to play without the mending bench mod though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

I'm more weirded out by the tree change, why is that?

The restriction, or the reversion?

Being able to grow your own trees allows you to raise infinite wood very quickly, on anything other than a permafrost map. It is understandable that there would be a desire to limit the trivialisation of a resource.

On the other hand, on forest maps, wood is trivial anyway, so it is more of a specific oddity for desert maps, and on tundra maps, it is quite hard to grow trees as your greenhouses are needed for food a lot of the time.

I imagine the change was trialed and nobody liked it, so it was changed back.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It because super RNG dependent if you are on a map with low wood if you can't grow your own. Maybe you'll get a ship with wood to sell to you! Maybe you won't! Which I think is ok for more advanced stuff, but not your basic resources.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Considering wood is absolute trash as a building material from a defensive standpoint, I don't feel like having infinite wood unbalances anything. Makes for nice floors though :v:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The restriction, or the reversion?

Being able to grow your own trees allows you to raise infinite wood very quickly, on anything other than a permafrost map. It is understandable that there would be a desire to limit the trivialisation of a resource.

On the other hand, on forest maps, wood is trivial anyway, so it is more of a specific oddity for desert maps, and on tundra maps, it is quite hard to grow trees as your greenhouses are needed for food a lot of the time.

I imagine the change was trialed and nobody liked it, so it was changed back.

The reversion of the change. He made it quite a big deal that it wasn't going to be a problem because of the icnreased plant spread, then reversed it one day after the first alpha 10 launch.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The game is totally fine with no growable wood but okey doke :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

10C released, fyi.

quote:

(A10) Bugfixes.
(A10) Reworked joy thoughts into more categories.
(A10) Various balance changes to increase pacing.
(A10) Alpha1c released.

e: apparently unlisted change, you also get a guaranteed 4th colonist early on

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 18, 2015

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Started a new game with A10c and had most of the survival meals spawned around the landing site instead of being scattered to the four corners of the map like they normally are. Anybody else get that? I was wondering if it were an intentional change or just something particular to this mapgen.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

This new version feels just way harder, which is great. I think a lot of that is me being forced to play without the mending bench mod though.

I noticed you start out with at least one village hostile to you now (on Cassandra Classic rough, anyway), so you have tribal and pirate raids to contend with.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The pacing overall feels way slower, which makes sense I guess considering Tynan hosed around with timing pretty extensively. That's okay, it just feels different (slower) from the last version. Colonists stopping to jerk off also slows things down :smuggo:

EdB Prepare Carefully updated for A10, hopefully his UI mod is not far behind.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0

Drunk in Space posted:

Started a new game with A10c and had most of the survival meals spawned around the landing site instead of being scattered to the four corners of the map like they normally are. Anybody else get that? I was wondering if it were an intentional change or just something particular to this mapgen.

This is just very random and depends on where rock masses are on the map, e.g. if you're playing in hilly or mountainous maps some of the free meals may spawn inside of occluded areas or not at all.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah that's what I figured. It's just that I'd never seen so many of the individual spawn points that close together by the landing site before. In my experience, I usually get one lot of packages near me and then the rest are evenly spread out across the map. Having nearly all them right there for the taking was a nice change!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh gently caress yeah, the "raw cannibalism" happy though got turned on this version, +20 mood for eating raw human flesh :black101:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a mod that prevents items placed near the trade beacon from deteriorating? I've lost a ton of silver because many of the items I want to sell melt away before a trade ship manages to arrive at my planet.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Put your trade beacon inside. It works even when under a mountain, apparently.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Things you can keep outside:
- Bricks
- Raw metals
- Rock chunks

Things you have to put a roof over:
- Everything else

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
When your trade beacon is inside, anything you buy from a trader just gets shot down somewhere outside near your trade beacon.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can also build a beacon somewhere right outside your door and purchased trade goods/silver will be dropped right on it.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Can you select where by placing a second one outside?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes that's exactly how it works. Although if you have multiple beacons that are all outside, it seems to pick which one to dump trade results on randomly, not necessarily nearest.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Things you can keep outside:
- Bricks
- Raw metals
- Rock chunks

Things you have to put a roof over:
- Everything else

Leather doesn't deteriorate either, and apparently neither does hyperweave cloth, though clothes made from them do deteriorate as normal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can view the deterioration rate of an item in its statistics, if it doesn't list one, it doesn't deteriorate in all probability.

For trade beacons I build a bunker around mine, and leave the central few tiles around the beacon unroofed, and remove the stockpile from there as well. Things sell and drop on the beacon, but you don't get deterioration. Also makes it a bit more secure if enemies decide to target it for a drop.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Version 10 just got a new hotfix.

quote:

Hotfixed to Alpha10d

Changes:

Fixed and rebalanced prisoner recruiting: Prisoners no longer get cabin fever and no longer have a joy need (until we get support for proper prison complexes). They can be recruited at any mood over 35% (though the chance may be very low).
Fixed a units change bug that caused 40% of enemies to flee after taking one hit, and other enemies to never flee. Now the flee properly with individual health thresholds again.

Fixed PawnName parsing so pawns with apostrophes in their names will work.
Cleaned up and robustified the AI with regards to finding a space to stand next to medical beds. Abolished the “medical bed needs headspace” alert as it’s no longer needed.
Fixed a bug that caused colonists to get stuck switching apparel over and over given certain weather conditions and combinations of apparel (they were considering the needed warmth in relation to their own current apparel instead of in relation to their absolute naked needs).
Fixed a bug that would crash the UI if colonists hauled a sculpture or TV while the player was selecting an install location.
Fixed bug that caused pawns to sometimes teleport to the bottom left corner of the map.
Fixed the needs tab not displaying on animals if a human was never previously selected with the needs tab.
Fixed a bug that caused colonists to spaz out around the billiards table when they reached full joy instead of just ending the job.
Some minor storyteller tuning.
Some minor typo fixes in game text.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I already deleted my previous versions, did he always include the source code? Parts of it anyhow.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I really need 'RimWorld has settled down and stopped reactively patching things and things like EdB interface and Improved Surgery have been updated to work with the new release' alerts.

That would be good information for the OP. Here is the current release, what state it's in (currently in omg that doesn't work right, quick release another patch!) and what major mods are compatible with it

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I just spend ten minutes randomizing a decent starting team. Landed in a perfect location, and found a complete building to open up and use for a first base. Inside were two centipedes.

Duration of game: 45 seconds

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's supposed to warn you when you find that but yeah once in a while it seems like it doesn't.

ps: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0 prepare carefully is a good mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pawn State Icons for A10 is out

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9163.0