Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I will never get enough of watching Conservatives use a metaphor for something that was meant to describe an action that is physically impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

quote:

One hypothetical example: a landlord in a low income part of Baltimore County rents to primarily low wage workers in the service industry. He charges what he can to turn a profit, but not much more because he doesn’t want to price himself out of the market. Then one day he turns on the TV and sees “all low wage workers just got an almost 100 percent pay increase!”

Guess what he does?
He attempts to raise rent, only to see all his renters leave for other landlords who are willing to undercut him, forcing him to lower his rents in response, until finally an equilibrium is reached which leaves rent at roughly the same price as it was before? Or is Mr. Walsh admitting that the all-powerful free market doesn't actually apply perfectly in all situations? Or maybe he's just implying that all landlords are colluding with each other to keep rents as high as possible.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Senator Pat Roberts' ringtone goes off in a tariff policy hearing.

And it's Let It Go from Frozen. :allears:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
In hindsight, I'm sorry for inflicting Matt Walsh upon D&D but seeing that article was one of those :byodood: moments

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

g0del posted:

Or maybe he's just implying that all landlords are colluding with each other to keep rents as high as possible.

Most do, or most apartments in an area are all owned and managed by a small handful of companies who collude and work with one another to keep rents high. Same thing really.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

quote:

The fact is, running a huge multi-million dollar company isn’t easy. You probably couldn’t do it. If you could, you would, I guarantee it.

What? :psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"The only reason you're not a CEO literally rolling in dollar bills in a pool is because you're just too stupid. If you don't want to be poor, stop being stupid."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hey Matt, how did the Koch Bros break into the industry if you don't mind me asking :allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reporter: But you believe that being the mayor of Baltimore is enough experience to run for President?

Pelosi: Well, the mayor of any city...

Reporter: Wasilla, Alaska?

*everyone laughs*

From the last minute of her weekly briefing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

If you were smart enough to be a businessman, you would've already been one already. Since you're not a businessman, it follows that you also aren't smart enough to be one, which also implies that you're not very smart at all!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Aurubin posted:

Weren't moats generally kept disgusting on purpose to dissuade invaders? Somebody come up with a joke linking this to Republicans, I'm tired.

The Hawai'i state capitol has a water feature around it, not for security, but for symbolism and because it looks cool as hell.

Sadly, because no one bothered to maintain it, it's now choked with algae and frequently stinks.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yippee

quote:

U.S. lawmakers are close to finalizing details of a bill to speed trade deals through Congress, a move that would seal a sweeping Pacific trade pact that has been more than five years in the making and is a key part of the Obama administration's pivot to Asia.

U.S. Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch said on Wednesday he was working with the panel's top Democrat, Ron Wyden, to get a deal.

The so-called fast track legislation is key to reaching a 12-nation Pacific trade pact and officials are eager for it to pass ahead of a visit by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in April.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102590933

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Saw the Matt Walsh thing on Facebook earlier. Luckily still had this saved

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

g0del posted:

He attempts to raise rent, only to see all his renters leave for other landlords who are willing to undercut him, forcing him to lower his rents in response, until finally an equilibrium is reached which leaves rent at roughly the same price as it was before? Or is Mr. Walsh admitting that the all-powerful free market doesn't actually apply perfectly in all situations? Or maybe he's just implying that all landlords are colluding with each other to keep rents as high as possible.

Every landlord would raise their rents to varying degrees, so maybe some tenants do move to other apartments but their costs still rise with their raises.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
I saw this and thought of you all.

“Beauty and the Beast”

A young woman rejects a financially independent hunter in favor of an unemployed nobleman who lives off of the labor of others. Also, there are no trains in this movie. I did like the talking clock, who attempted to take pride in his work despite constant attacks on his dignity by the candlestick. The candlestick did not take his job seriously. —Two stars.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

Every landlord would raise their rents to varying degrees, so maybe some tenants do move to other apartments but their costs still rise with their raises.

This is wrong. Despite incomes generally going down among people who rent, rents have been steadily increasing the last decade. It's not tied to how much people make at all. It just means people are falling into being severely cost burdened by their rent.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

On Terra Firma posted:

This is wrong. Despite incomes generally going down among people who rent, rents have been steadily increasing the last decade. It's not tied to how much people make at all. It just means people are falling into being severely cost burdened by their rent.

And so therefore if incomes were to increase, rents would... buck the trend and NOT increase?

EDIT: My point is that they may not be linked in that rents can rise independent of incomes, but that doesn't mean that a rise in incomes won't encourage a further increase in rents.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 16, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The entire article is worth reading, I'm quite find of the Willie Wonka review

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

And so therefore if incomes were to increase, rents would... buck the trend and NOT increase?

I'm saying it doesn't matter. They are going to increase no matter what, but at least an increase in income could offset that. Not doing anything because it might cause rent to rise is dumb because everyone is getting raped during the rises anyway.

edit: It doesn't loving matter. Rents are going up. An increase in earnings would not effect that any more than what's already going on. If people are going to be hosed either way, they should at least take the chance to get hosed less. Some places may not raise their rent as fast as others, and among those properties you have more people with disposable income that they could use for any number of things.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 16, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

quote:

If Grandpa Joe can dance, Grandpa Joe can work.

Thank you for sharing this

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm saying it doesn't matter. They are going to increase no matter what, but at least an increase in income could offset that. Not doing anything because it might cause rent to rise is dumb because everyone is getting raped during the rises anyway.

He used rent as an example but the argument is that all you're doing is pumping out more money without actually solving any issues.

If the minimum wage gets increased, that could cause rises in the prices of all base goods, meaning your net disposable percentage of income remains relatively stable. However because of rising prices, the government would also need to raise spending for entitlement programs and aid, meaning those programs end up taking an even larger percentage of the budget. So all you end up doing is encouraging inflation and increasing the burden on the government without actually helping the people you're trying to help - A.K.A. throwing money at the problem rather than solving it at the source.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

He used rent as an example but the argument is that all you're doing is pumping out more money without actually solving any issues.

If the minimum wage gets increased, that could cause rises in the prices of all base goods, meaning your net disposable percentage of income remains relatively stable. However because of rising prices, the government would also need to raise spending for entitlement programs and aid, meaning those programs end up taking an even larger percentage of the budget. So all you end up doing is encouraging inflation and increasing the burden on the government without actually helping the people you're trying to help - A.K.A. throwing money at the problem rather than solving it at the source.

Alright. I'll bite. What's the solution then?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

For anyone who doesn't get the weird fixation on cats in the article.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Amergin posted:

If the minimum wage gets increased, that could cause rises in the prices of all base goods

Except for all the places where it hasn't, otherwise you'd have a valid point.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Oh my god that Old Yeller one is gold.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

On Terra Firma posted:

Cut support for minimum wage workers to encourage them to get an actual job, and to stop raising millenial and future generations with a sense of entitlement such that they think they should be able to survive flipping burgers. Flipping burgers is for teenagers to earn some side money while they're in high school, not for people trying to make a living.

In this respect the government should work in tandem with local businesses to sponsor training and encourage apprenticeships and blue collar work and liberals need to stop telling their kids they need to go to a four year university for whatever they want because doing what you love means you never work a day in your life. That's how you ended up flipping burgers or working as a barista, you British Lit major. Read Chaucer as a hobby, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars and waste people's time on it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Amergin posted:

pumping out more money is a darn good solution to the chronic lack of money, actually

On Terra Firma posted:

the solution to not being poor is to stop being poor, that's the actual GOP party line

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Well, if increasing the minimum wage will make everything cost more why don't we cut everyone's salaries by 50% to reduce the cost of things

or do economic ideas only work when they hurt people other than yourself

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I'm sure this is gonna be the time a minimum wage increase causes all the problems Republicans say it will, I can feel it in my bones!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Well, if increasing the minimum wage will make everything cost more why don't we cut everyone's salaries by 50% to reduce the cost of things

the point of popular economics is to provide some rational backing for why you're a better person than other people

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Not to mention, while demand for housing is inelastic, demand for one's own room in one's own dwelling is not. While many poor people already have roommates, if rents get jacked up just because all the landlords are like "we can totally do this because min wage earners are making more!" people whose salaries are in the $30-$40k range who won't see an increase in earnings are just gonna get roommates or move in with their parents. And anyway, as said before, vendors of other goods can't just go "people aren't poor anymore, jack up all the prices!" because people will just go shop at whoever doesn't gouge them.

What a lot of conservatives miss is that the price of something is not set by how much money the potential customer has. If we have actual competition (lol) then the prices of identical goods are set pretty close to the marginal cost of producing them and the differences in price are mainly caused by the small differences between items of the same type. Outside a monopoly, people will tend to want whatever gives them the best value, and if I sell a widget for $10 and my competitor sells it for $5, I either need to also go to around $5 (because getting $5 is still better than $0) or I need to communicate to my customers that my widget is different enough to warrant the price difference (it's the aged Hennessy xo of widgets or something.) what I'll probably do instead though is call up my competitor and tell him that we'll both sell for $10 and then we'll give each other high faves later over the body of a forsaken child.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The Charlotte's Web and Babe followup are gold.

e:

USPol May: If Grandpa Joe can dance, Grandpa Joe can work.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 16, 2015

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

If you cut people's salaries there will be pain, but if you simply resist the temptation to throw money at the problem and instead focus on getting people trained for actual work and discourage useless majors for massive debt, you're working to solve the problem in the long run without imposing short term pain.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Amergin posted:

EDIT: My point is that they may not be linked in that rents can rise independent of incomes, but that doesn't mean that a rise in incomes won't encourage a further increase in rents.

Citation needed. There is no evidence whatsoever that minimum wage increases are even correlated with, much less cause, increases in rents.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Amergin posted:

If you cut people's salaries there will be pain, but if you simply resist the temptation to throw money at the problem and instead focus on getting people trained for actual work and discourage useless majors for massive debt, you're working to solve the problem in the long run without imposing short term pain.

flipping burgers, mopping floors, delivering packages, cleaning and feeding the immobile elderly: not actual work, according to republicans

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

44% of Americans too indecisive to just make up their goddamn minds already!

Independent vs undecided are two different things. I'm registered as a democrat so I can vote in primaries (not that this presidential one will matter), but I wouldn't identify as a democrat because I think the party is poo poo. They just get by on the republicans being more poo poo. Registering as an independent (at least in the states I've lived in) just means you're saying, "hey, I'd like to be allowed to vote on fewer things!"

EDIT: Oh hey didn't refresh recently, we're a page past that discussion. Oops

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

amanasleep posted:

Citation needed. There is no evidence whatsoever that minimum wage increases are even correlated with, much less cause, increases in rents.

Citation needed: evidence that a minimum wage increase will improve quality of life and give a substantial increase to disposable income in the long run.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Amergin posted:

Cut support for minimum wage workers to encourage them to get an actual job, and to stop raising millenial and future generations with a sense of entitlement such that they think they should be able to survive flipping burgers. Flipping burgers is for teenagers to earn some side money while they're in high school, not for people trying to make a living.

In this respect the government should work in tandem with local businesses to sponsor training and encourage apprenticeships and blue collar work and liberals need to stop telling their kids they need to go to a four year university for whatever they want because doing what you love means you never work a day in your life. That's how you ended up flipping burgers or working as a barista, you British Lit major. Read Chaucer as a hobby, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars and waste people's time on it.

Where are all of these actual jobs going to materialize from and who is going to flip the burgers? There are nowhere near enough 16-17 year olds to cover every single low level job in the country and there are definitely not enough actual jobs for every single person who currently has a low level job to get one. This is basically denying the fundamental structure of the economy, it's like trying to build a reverse pyramid.

Amergin posted:

Train them for better jobs so they can compete with and displace those who currently have those jobs? You don't get a good job because you have a degree, you get a good job because you're better qualified than the other guys. If you make the others guys better qualified, then the playing field for you gets more difficult.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 16, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Amergin posted:

Have you considered replacing to this answer with something simpler like "Let's just kill the poor?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

There are nowhere near enough 16-17 year olds to cover every single low level job in the country

There would be if parents would stop coddling their children.

• Locked thread