Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Too bad I don't have a laserdisc player, but that can't be TOO hard to track down on eBay... right? :ohdear:

I posted a Craigslist want ad for a laserdisc player, saying I'd pay a reasonable price, and within a day a guy had offered me a free player (a pretty decent Panasonic by what I've read online, can't remember the model number right now) and like 30 discs thrown in. The discs were mostly Disney movies, which has actually been a bonus when friends bring kids or I babysit for the neighbors, but there were also some good movies like Blazing Saddles and The Princess Bride. Oh, and two copies of Bambi from Japan (バンビ) and two copies of Song of the South :v:

It's worth a shot, you live in a big city so there should be plenty of people with players. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for one, simply because if you wait long enough someone will probably give one to you. They're quite big and if you're not using it, it'll take up a lot of closet space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Woop woop marana represent. That guy was actually not that messed up, he came to my ER. Also I leave for a few days to learn PALS and there is over 600 post in here. :drat:

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 16, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Fucknag posted:

"Stop talking about us using excessive force, or we'll have to use excessive force!"

My dad used to always describe situations like this with "Until morale improves, the beatings will continue."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

My dad used to always describe situations like this with "Until morale improves, the beatings will continue."

Worked for slavery, right?....right?

Aw poo poo :smith:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Holdbrooks posted:

Woop woop marana represent. That guy was actually not that messed up, he came to my ER. Also I leave for a few days to learn PALS and there is over 600 post in here. :drat:

What kind of injuries does that sort of impact make?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

I had a manager once who said that jokingly during a all hands meeting in the middle of a massive crunch. We did not like her.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I posted a Craigslist want ad for a laserdisc player, saying I'd pay a reasonable price, and within a day a guy had offered me a free player (a pretty decent Panasonic by what I've read online, can't remember the model number right now) and like 30 discs thrown in. The discs were mostly Disney movies, which has actually been a bonus when friends bring kids or I babysit for the neighbors, but there were also some good movies like Blazing Saddles and The Princess Bride. Oh, and two copies of Bambi from Japan (バンビ) and two copies of Song of the South :v:

It's worth a shot, you live in a big city so there should be plenty of people with players. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for one, simply because if you wait long enough someone will probably give one to you. They're quite big and if you're not using it, it'll take up a lot of closet space.

If you would be willing to part with one of those copies of 'song of the south', please let me know.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Its supposed to rain on monday and that makes me not want to wash my car even though I could use it.

I should also do my front brakes, as they're lowish and my car wants to go right when I brake. But lazy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

Its supposed to rain on monday and that makes me not want to wash my car even though I could use it.

I should also do my front brakes, as they're lowish and my car wants to go right when I brake. But lazy.

Rain all week so far so all the cars are filthy. Friday and Saturday look nice but more rain on Sunday...don't think cars will be washed. Yay spring I guess. Drove the VW in yesterday, something in the left front sounds terrible so that's not going anywhere until I can take a look at it. Wheel bearing has been making noise for a long time but now it sounds like something is dragging or grinding. Nothing hanging underneath and nothing visible with the wheel on so if Fri/Sat is decent I'll be tearing into that. I'm considering just bringing it to a shop for wheel bearings, shock mounts and shocks. I like working on cars but not the VW.

If I don't feel lazy I should have some nice pictures this weekend. Thinking of doing a very early morning run down Tail of the Dragon, eating at the resort then a loop around the Cherohala skyway with the M3. Haven't had a weekend with nice weather and not on-call in a very very long time. Need to talk to some of the locals and see how much sand and crap is on the road.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Somewhere on page 35 someone posted that Netflix's Daredevil was "stupidly good". Gonna have to agree. It gets down right brutal at some points. Holy poo poo bald Vincent D'Onofrio slamming a dude's neck in a car door so many times it decapitates him. :stare:

Bought a Nexus 6 on a whim. Holy poo poo this thing is gigantic. Good bye, one handed phone use.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Posted my V5s and driver's license off to the DVLA a fortnight ago to have the addresses changed. Found the receipts in my wallet today and thought I'd double check they got there...

According to the tracking info the V5s are still in the post office branch. :argh: At least my license seems to have gotten there, although the person recieving has literally just signed with an 'X'.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

goatse guy posted:

I'm going to miss most of the first round Wild games because of work. :sigh:

:colbert:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My great uncle gave me a couple more awesome space things today. He worked on the space program from the beginning until the mid 80s.

This charcoal went around the moon on Apollo 8. I used to stare at it a lot when I was a little kid and it still amazes me to this day that that charcoal was nearby when Jim Lovell, Bill Anders and Frank Borman came around the moon to watch the earth rise and read the lines from Genesis for the television broadcast.

He also gave me this medallion which contains metal from Columbia (the command module, not the shuttle) and the Eagle. This metal has been on the moon and that will never stop blowing my mind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Somewhere on page 35 someone posted that Netflix's Daredevil was "stupidly good". Gonna have to agree.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying it.

Fart Pipe posted:

My great uncle gave me a couple more awesome space things today.
Nice!

Completely unrelated, my mate linked me to this SpaceX Uptown Funk parody:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yypBjVpDJZY

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

Also uh, suggestions on a cheap corded (120V) drill? One that isn't Ol' Sparky? I got 2 holes drilled before the cordless one poo poo itself, and the hole saw barely made a dent in the 2x6 I was trying to go through. I think I got about half an inch into the 2x6 before it died. A new battery for this piece of poo poo drill costs more than the entire drill did. Need to get some new bits too, these are so dull that 1.5 inch could use them for sounding and not bleed (though I got a nasty 2nd degree burn when I pulled the drill back and the bit brushed my arm). The cordless one has started spitting sparks as well, though not nearly as bad as the ~30 year old corded one we have (which shocks the gently caress out of you if you even touch it while plugged in, and instantly trips any GFCI circuit it's on).

I just bought the cheapest Black & Decker at Wal-Mart. It's worked fine so far. I'm irritated that I had to do so - I suspect my former roomy stole my nice HD Ridgid corded drill.
Looks like Home Despot has the same B&D I bought for $20: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-5-2-Amp-3-8-in-Drill-Driver-DR260B/202516274?N=5yc1vZc27fZ1z141kh

bolind posted:

I haven't tried it, but I saw a cool trick for using larger-diameter hole cutters: get the hole started so that outer cut is just defined, then drill one or more smaller holes right on the edge of outer cut. That way the chips have somewhere to go, and the teeth won't get gunked up.

Holy crap, that's brilliant! Hope I remember it next time I've got the spade bit or hole saw going...

jammyozzy posted:

Posted my V5s and driver's license off to the DVLA a fortnight ago to have the addresses changed. Found the receipts in my wallet today and thought I'd double check they got there...

According to the tracking info the V5s are still in the post office branch. :argh: At least my license seems to have gotten there, although the person recieving has literally just signed with an 'X'.

So your :airquote: Royal :airquote: mail isn't any better than out colonial one, then?
They actually allow someone to sign with an "X"? How asinine is that?
How much you want to bet they lost that piece of mail?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fart Pipe posted:

My great uncle gave me a couple more awesome space things today. He worked on the space program from the beginning until the mid 80s.

This charcoal went around the moon on Apollo 8. I used to stare at it a lot when I was a little kid and it still amazes me to this day that that charcoal was nearby when Jim Lovell, Bill Anders and Frank Borman came around the moon to watch the earth rise and read the lines from Genesis for the television broadcast.

He also gave me this medallion which contains metal from Columbia (the command module, not the shuttle) and the Eagle. This metal has been on the moon and that will never stop blowing my mind.

Dude, that's loving cool!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Took my dog to the vet, and then to petsmart to grab him a treat.

Little fucker decided to poo poo while he walked down an entire aisle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Took my dog to the vet, and then to petsmart to grab him a treat.

Little fucker decided to poo poo while he walked down an entire aisle.

I went to Petland (which is a Canadian competitor to Petsmart) a couple years ago during the Christmas shopping season to see a dude crouched over, holding a bag, following behind his disdainful Pomeranian taking a massive diarrhea poo poo while walking in front of the grooming area.

"No, Biscuit, no!"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That poo poo is awesome and extremely valuable, Fart Pipe, get them in a safety deposit box and/or insured!

News: Community College enrollment for this Summer is down 50% from this time last year. That is a gently caress-ton. Why? I'm going to bet that a bunch of stupid kids believed Obama when he made that ridiculous statement during the State of the Union address where he promised free community college. I bet they are sitting back and planning on waiting until it becomes true.

It will never become true. Obama directly hosed the most impressionable and trusting demographic. :(

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Hahaha, thats the best.

Speaking of pets, a friend of mine has a bulldog. Its the most lovable drat thing, and now I want one. :3

meatpimp posted:

That poo poo is awesome and extremely valuable, Fart Pipe, get them in a safety deposit box and/or insured!

News: Community College enrollment for this Summer is down 50% from this time last year. That is a gently caress-ton. Why? I'm going to bet that a bunch of stupid kids believed Obama when he made that ridiculous statement during the State of the Union address where he promised free community college. I bet they are sitting back and planning on waiting until it becomes true.

It will never become true. Obama directly hosed the most impressionable and trusting demographic. :(

Well, most other industrialized countries, college is free, or drat near free.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

They actually allow someone to sign with an "X"? How asinine is that?

This is actually what is considered the legal minimum for a signature, at least in the US.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well, most other industrialized countries, college is free, or drat near free.

Yep, and instead of that, we charge students interest rates on their student loans that are fully double what mortgages go for... even though some students owe as much as a house in Student Loans. 'murica. :911:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
New Star Wars trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Yep, and instead of that, we charge students interest rates on their student loans that are fully double what mortgages go for... even though some students owe as much as a house in Student Loans. 'murica. :911:

I don't want to get into huge debates about it, but we never invest in ourselves with quality health care, education and so on, but instead make it almost a crime to be "poor" like the latest rounds against welfare.

I commented the other day on a facebook status about how they think people shouldn't get hand outs from others etc etc. I casually pointed out that the mortgage interest tax credit is a free hand out, along with the those roads, that while we all pay taxes to use roads, that the truckers pay a much higher percentage of road taxes vs his fuel efficient car, so you know, he can thank those truckers.

My comment was deleted quickly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

the mortgage interest tax credit is a free hand out

It's not. Your income is taxed. If you have a mortgage, you then have to pay property taxes. The mortgage credit just makes it so that you don't have to pay tax on your tax.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

meatpimp posted:

It's not. Your income is taxed. If you have a mortgage, you then have to pay property taxes. The mortgage credit just makes it so that you don't have to pay tax on your tax.

It is absolutely a handout, and it only further encourages people to buy bigger houses with higher amounts of interest paid, because its all tax deductible. Almost all of the benefits go to households earning over 100k.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm such a sucker for these, JJ Abrams is gonna make me believe, and then I'm gonna go see it and then 2 days later the disappointment will settle in. :(

And yes I choked up a tiny bit at the end of that one. God drat.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

It is absolutely a handout, and it only further encourages people to buy bigger houses with higher amounts of interest paid, because its all tax deductible. Almost all of the benefits go to households earning over 100k.

Cite your sources, because that is idiotic logic.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Paid off my school loan yesterday! :toot:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Paid off my school loan yesterday! :toot:
Grats dude.

June kills mine. Gots 5k left of CC debt that'll be gone in November and then I'm done.
Of course, buying a new car in September. :/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

meatpimp posted:

Cite your sources, because that is idiotic logic.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/richard...n-people-think/

It costs the government 70B a year to continue the MIT deduction.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3948

quote:

The main reason is that the bulk of its benefits go to higher-income households who generally could afford a home without assistance: in 2012, 77 percent of the benefits went to homeowners with incomes above $100,000.

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2025532095_zillowqandaxml.html

quote:

If the federal government capped the deduction at $25,000 per household, according to Zillow’s calculations, the 100 hardest-hit ZIP codes would be ones with an average home value of $865,241 and an average square footage 27 percent larger than the surrounding metro area.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That just says that the majority of the deductions goes to the people that have the most expensive houses. That's self-evident. The exact same logic is used by rich people to SUPPORT the fact that they pay the most in taxes, even though their tax percentage is often half, or less, what "normals" make. You can't play with the numbers both ways.

Either way, "I'm going to buy a house with most of it in interest so I can get a big deduction" is idiotic logic. I don't doubt that it happens, because there are a lot of idiots, but I cannot believe that that situation is anywhere near the majority. If it is, then it's more of an argument for bank reform than anything else.

Well cited though, kudos.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah it's definitely less of a "i'll buy a big house cause i can write more of it off" and more like "i can afford so much more mcmansion than i thought! :downs:"

enough of this derail!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
That might just be the most idiotic stat ever.
If you cap deductions at, x, the worst hit zip codes are the ones with the largest deviation from x.
HOLY poo poo THE MATH THAT MUST TAKE.

And yes. Interest deductions reduce the net cost of houses. But it doesn't reduce it below the sticker price, it just reduces how much beyond the sticker price you end up paying.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well, I am going to be taking the plunge back into home ownership in augustish. I am quite sick of not being able to slap in a 240v outlet.

ITS RIGHT NEXT TO THE GOD drat BREAKER BOX WHY CANT I DO THIS YOU poo poo(land)LORD?

When I own my house, I am going to have black jack. And hookers. And 240v outlets every where. I'll even install it next to the bed just because I can :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The latest Star Trek movies hinted JJ ABrams makes good Star Wars films. And so far everything we have seen says it's absolutly true, that looks bad rear end.

Tempering excitement tho remembering Phantom Menace looked bad rear end and it turned out to be a shitshow. You also see that the ball droid ISNT CGI but is a real robot?!? How the hell did they do that?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

That might just be the most idiotic stat ever.
If you cap deductions at, x, the worst hit zip codes are the ones with the largest deviation from x.
HOLY poo poo THE MATH THAT MUST TAKE.

And yes. Interest deductions reduce the net cost of houses. But it doesn't reduce it below the sticker price, it just reduces how much beyond the sticker price you end up paying.

If you can afford an 800k home, you can afford to pay taxes on more of your income. it gives scale to how immense these giveaways are.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

it gives scale to how immense these giveaways are.

Sorry, programs that benefit the rich and businesses aren't classified as "giveaways" or "handouts." That only happens if the program benefits poors.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geoj posted:

Sorry, programs that benefit the rich and businesses aren't classified as "giveaways" or "handouts." That only happens if the program benefits poors.

Just like putting a "Terrorist" or "Freedom Fighter" label on a person -- often times the only difference is which side you're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

You also see that the ball droid ISNT CGI but is a real robot?!? How the hell did they do that?
My vote is for "loving magnets".

• Locked thread