Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Ryu is insanely cool and anyone who doesn't appreciate that is stuck in the dumb belief that main characters are inherently boring. There, I said it.

I like ryu but chun-li and ken are cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruggington posted:

I like ryu but chun-li and ken are cooler

That's fine.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I have nothing against Chun-li, she is very cool. She would be an ideal second SF rep, after Ryu. But Ryu is the primary face of Street Fighter, and thus is the top Smash candidate.

This isn't MVC, where they do shameful things like kick out Classic Mega Man in favour of Zero. There is an order to these things.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Yung Venuz for Smash

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Supercar Gautier posted:

Ryu is more famous than Phoenix Wright, and Sakurai includes only the most famous third-party guests. I offer my condolences in this trying time.

Where's Shrek then?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Shrek is not a video game man. He has been in video games, but he is not of the gaming world. And he lacks a Strong Nintendo Connection.

Sadly, this is also the painful limbo in which Goku finds himself.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think Ryu would be a better fit than Phoenix Wright because Ryu is the de facto face of all fighting games and the one time Phoenix Wright was in a fighting game he was bad.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i bet i could beat phoenix wright in a fight

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Maybe they'll pull a Bait and Switch and replace the SF2 Ryu files with BoF Ryu files to push their dumb new mobile BoF6 game they're making/have made/who cares because it's probably bad.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Roy would be cool if they pulled a Bowser Jr, and made all his alternate costumes different Fire Emblem protagonist with him as the default. that's probably not going to happen but it should.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do people get mad about this game having four characters from one of nintendo's longest running franchises

are they scared that if they look at an anime for too long they'll watch naruto

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Roy would be cool if they pulled a Bowser Jr, and made all his alternate costumes different Fire Emblem protagonist with him as the default. that's probably not going to happen but it should.
Roy could have a swap with his dad Eliwood but no other FE protagonist would really fit.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Endorph posted:

why do people get mad about this game having four characters from one of nintendo's longest running franchises

Dattebayo.

Oh poo poo it's happening uguu~~~

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Once Ryu gets into Smash they should get Terry Bogard.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Endorph posted:

I don't think Fire Emblem is bad or doesn't deserve characters, but it's important to spread the love around. There are still big series that haven't had any new characters yet in SSB4. For instance, Zelda hasn't had any wholly new characters since Melee.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think Fire Emblem is bad or doesn't deserve characters, but it's important to spread the love around. There are still big series that haven't had any new characters yet in SSB4. For instance, Zelda hasn't had any wholly new characters since Melee.
and? they've got every major zelda character in the game. who would you add that people would be clamoring for? impa? she's only been made an actually important character extremely recently.

fe has four characters. two of them are from an incredibly recent, very popular game. one of them has been in since melee. one of them is a clone that was very easy to develop by her very nature.

Ike is the only one who seems like he could have reasonably been cut, and he was a pretty popular character in Brawl so it makes sense to keep him. I'm not seeing this 'FE favoritism' that people clamor about.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Supercar Gautier posted:

I was gonna say who else is worthy of a slot, but I guess if you could come up with a decent moveset for Impa, Groose or Girahim, I'd be all for it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Endorph posted:

and? they've got every major zelda character in the game. who would you add that people would be clamoring for? impa? she's only been made an actually important character extremely recently.

fe has four characters. two of them are from an incredibly recent, very popular game. one of them has been in since melee. one of them is a clone that was very easy to develop by her very nature.

Ike is the only one who seems like he could have reasonably been cut, and he was a pretty popular character in Brawl so it makes sense to keep him. I'm not seeing this 'FE favoritism' that people clamor about.

I'm not mad that FE has four characters. I think all four current FE inclusions are good. I don't know where you're getting all this from "spread the love around".

And yeah, Impa would in fact be an ideal choice, as she is the longest-running recurring Zelda character not yet in Smash Bros, and her recent incarnations are action-ready.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I want to play as Tingle's dad

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Shrek is not a video game man. He has been in video games, but he is not of the gaming world. And he lacks a Strong Nintendo Connection.

Sadly, this is also the painful limbo in which Goku finds himself.

Are you saying that there won't be Hamtaro DLC?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

SilverSupernova posted:

Are you saying that there won't be Hamtaro DLC?

There's a lot of hamhams in this thread, we don't need one in Smash.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Supercar Gautier posted:

Gotta start somewhere, why not start while smashing a bro?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

The star gets in first, before the supporting cast is allowed to join. This is true for all series in Smash Bros, from Mario to Xenoblade. It is not Zangief's turn.

The exception to this rule was Snake, who got in before Revolver Ocelot.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Blackheart posted:

The exception to this rule was Snake, who got in before Johnny Sasaki

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Is there a compiled list of actual confirmed changes for this patch anywhere yet? Preferably one that wasn't posted by Louisgod because I know if I don't put this disclaimer here you'll quote it at me.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Ryu is bad and Street Fighter is bad too.
Also I got my soundtrack but I'm not gonna download Mewtwo.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

Is there a compiled list of actual confirmed changes for this patch anywhere yet? Preferably one that wasn't posted by Louisgod because I know if I don't put this disclaimer here you'll quote it at me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32oh35/super_smash_bros_4_v106_patch_notes_compilation/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

what if ryu killed wolf

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
What if Ryu was just Wolf in a Ryu outfit?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

What if Ryu was just Wolf in a Ryu outfit?

A Wolf in street clothing

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Thanks.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I will only embrace Ryu if the presence of two capcom characters means we can have both Snake and Simon Belmont.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
-Omega/Lylat levels no longer have ceiling collisions near the ledge, so you don't get stuck under the ledge anymore.

Finally Lylat is worth playing again

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

No Roy and Wolf because we already have Marth and girl Marth, and because we already have Fox and bird Fox. Lucas and Mewtwo are okay because thier coolness over rides any similarities to other chars.
Wolf is way way different from Fox/Falco though. Like possibly more different than Mario and Luigi are.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Falco is basically the slower version of Fox, right? And Wolf was slower and more powerful than both?

I didn't play brawl much.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wolf's Up-B is mostly the same as theirs, his neutral b is quite similar and his reflector is just like fox's.

The entire rest of his moveset, including every single one of his A moves, is completely different.

Falco was basically just a slower stronger Fox in melee but he had mostly different A-moves in brawl and he's more differentiated now. He's closer to Fox than Wolf is, though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Falco is basically the slower version of Fox, right? And Wolf was slower and more powerful than both?

I didn't play brawl much.

Wolf has completely different properties on his normals specials and smashes

Basically Luigi to Fox's Mario

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can spot the people who don't think about or use normal attacks at all because they're the ones who think Wolf is a clone.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

Wolf's Up-B is mostly the same as theirs, his neutral b is quite similar and his reflector is just like fox's.

Wolf had a split second of invulnerability on his reflector shield start up. Attacks would just pass right through you.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

You can spot the people who don't think about or use normal attacks at all because they're the ones who think Wolf is a clone.

What are normal attacks? You mean you don't just mash your specials all day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

His gun also had a small bayonet that acted as a hitbox

• Locked thread