Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

BHolder where's the ini value to tweak how bad coolguyes posts are

To do that, coolguye himself would have to be absorbed into the Long War mainframe.

edit: Oh poo poo, it happened.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
After playing Long War a bit, I started to feel comfortable with the mechanics and decided to start a new game.
Of course, I get the loving St. John's mission 5 days before my laser weapons are scheduled to be delivered. I had 5 loving Chrysalids in the landing zone with me before I even got to take a turn. :cry:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Pohl posted:

After playing Long War a bit, I started to feel comfortable with the mechanics and decided to start a new game.
Of course, I get the loving St. John's mission 5 days before my laser weapons are scheduled to be delivered. I had 5 loving Chrysalids in the landing zone with me before I even got to take a turn. :cry:

Wait, you got activated lids at the drop site?

Luckily, lasers are totally unnecessary for that mission. Shotguns for all!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Can that happen? I always get the empty start, advance to the houses, "oh no zombies, there's probably gonna be 'lids!" opening - first contact with the bugs isn't normally until I get to the fish market or go down to the docks.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Can that happen? I always get the empty start, advance to the houses, "oh no zombies, there's probably gonna be 'lids!" opening - first contact with the bugs isn't normally until I get to the fish market or go down to the docks.

The mission is scripted, so ordinarily there should be no pods with LOS on the landing. I know if you sprint to the left you can usually get a pod activation on your first move though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bholder posted:

But fine, keep complaining how the development doesn't stand up to your standards

Bholder posted:

This isn't about not having criticism, but when said criticism is "why aren't there a fully trained always available team of testers before every release", you are expecting way too much.

Don't move the goalposts, don't be dishonest about what you're quoting, and don't deflect from the point just because it doesn't serve you.

Darkrenown posted:

Nah, you were a poo poo last time you replied to me too, so I had some grounds to think this was just more of the same snarkbombing:

I tried to engage you on the subject since you made a decent post, but you've ignored that to make some defensive flailing where you try to pretend you're not just as bad as the people you're criticizing. If it's such a chore for you to engage in the same argument again, either simply quote your last non-insulting post on the subject or just shut up and stay out of it, adding another shitpost to the turdpile doesn't help anyone.
So instead of thinking 'oh hey maybe he's not lying and maybe i should ask a question about this' you just went straight to 'oh great the OP is shitposting his own 2 year old thread'

yeah i'm totally the biggest rear end in a top hat* here and you totes ain't jumping to dumb conclusions here bro.

not to mention that post isn't even really that snarky, if you got offended by that I'm sorry I guess? I sorta presume most folks went to a normal middle school and can deal with a little straight talk.

*: holy poo poo let's note how i didn't say i'm not an rear end in a top hat (i'm an rear end in a top hat).

amanasleep posted:

To do that, coolguye himself would have to be absorbed into the Long War mainframe.

edit: Oh poo poo, it happened.
Hahhahaha that is a pro click

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bholder posted:

This isn't about not having criticism, but when said criticism is "why aren't there a fully trained always available team of testers before every release", you are expecting way too much.

And most balance complaints tend to be really silly when you can easily undo them by changing 3 numbers in the ini file.
No, I'm with coolguye on this one. It's a valid criticism. Especially when johnnylump fully admits he doesn't really play the game much. It's not a matter of balance because trying to achieve any sense of balance in anyone's eye is always going to be impossible and a work in progress. Balance is not the problem, though. What started this whole conversation was that there is not even any attempt at making sure basic functionality (in this case, drum mags not even adding ammo) is dealt with, despite the fact that some of these new features and items were implemented weeks in advance to b15c(2) being put on public release. It's almost like submitting a lovely first draft of your thesis for your phd.

I've worked on smaller mod teams of 4-6 people and even then they used repositories for revision control. Anyone worth their salt in any sort of development should be using it. I'm not doubting the LW mod team isn't using it or anything, but you have that support system in place so I don't understand why there isn't an opt-in system for people willing to take advantage of that and help the team out. Because not only would that sort out really fundamental problems or help test out new features much more quickly, at the very least. It would also help mitigate the problem that XCOM doesn't have proper mod tools, where modders are essentially poking and prodding at a closed system that they have to hex edit and presumably work through trial and error. It's not as simple as opening up new tables or changing some array values and calling it a day in a mod tool. Granted, they tried to throw as much as they could into the .ini to make it modifiable to the end user; that's great but that doesn't excuse some recent fubs.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

amanasleep posted:

The mission is scripted, so ordinarily there should be no pods with LOS on the landing. I know if you sprint to the left you can usually get a pod activation on your first move though.

Thinking about it, I did take a turn, so ignore what I wrote. I opened the door to the shed thing right in front of me and got bum rushed by zombies and lids. They pushed me back to the very end of the landing zone. I restarted and took a crew with 4 shotguns and 3 engies and a boatload of AP grenades. Every time the lids stop right next to one of my guys my balls crawl up inside my belly.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Zoran posted:

While I agree that armor platings can be very useful in the early months, this statement here is a very poor way of thinking about things. The +1 damage items are massive upgrades in firepower (and hence average damage output) relative to the first couple of weapon tiers. Early on, when 1-2 DR on the early mechanized enemies can totally neuter your offense, it's really important to just deal more damage.

I can understand that, but in my experience I usually have one HEAT Gunner/Rocketeer/Engineer before mec pods start giving me any trouble (Boss seekers and just yesterday I had a my first Cyberdisk encounter on a crashed scout that gave me a bit of trouble)

An LMG heat gunner can do 10+ damage even through the DR of early mec enemies and it is awfully rare to have a HEAT rocket not one shot most early alien mec.

Also can people please stop this damned derail about Long War's creators?

Yes yes we all understand that this isn't the perfect mod and I'm 100% sure you could do totally better, and Johnny Lump owes you perfection and cupcakes and a new puppy.

They're doing the best that could reasonably be expected of a team working purely on passion and free time could bring and if you think its so god damned easy to fix do it yourself and mail it to them because no sane person cares about how much time a pet-project gets QA'd when you can fix just about everything yourself either with a little tweaking or going back to an older version (Maybe even :aaaaa: VANILLA XCOM)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Also can people please stop this damned derail about Long War's creators?
No. We can't. You know why? Because this has been coming up for over a year now and at this point I feel like we need to have it out.

I've tried being nice about this. It didn't work. People gooned the gently caress out and the echo chamber about how the modding team is sacrosanct got so loud that it bled over into Let's Play, and Amanasleep got probated for bringing the attitude over there. Main reason it didn't happen here was because I didn't give enough of a poo poo to report the posts. Goons gonna goon. Let me be one hundred percent loving clear about this: I don't have a single problem with Amana. Doesn't affect my life. Hell, laughed at the link at my expense at the top of this page. But this is what happened.

I've tried being curt about this. It didn't work. People gooned the gently caress out about it so hard that I had to threaten to lock the thread, and apparently Darkrenown was so sensitive about it he's been smarting about it for over a month.

Now I am trying being an rear end in a top hat about this, because it's been a thing for over a year in this loving thread and apparently nothing else works. How about instead of presuming that people voicing this are being entitled shitlords, it gets explained why criticism of the process isn't OK, but criticism on bugs, balance, and features are? Those three subjects get discussed routinely in this thread and nobody gets butthurt. But when someone so much as breathes that completely avoidable problems are annoying, that's across the loving line? Could anyone venture an answer to the question of "How does this mod's price make it immune to criticism of its process" without also giving a rationale for immunity to criticism of bugs, balance, and features? If it's not OK to suggest improvements to the process, how is it, at the same time, OK to say that the MEC nerf sucks?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 16, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Coolguye posted:

No. We can't. You know why? Because this has been coming up for over a year now and at this point I feel like we need to have it out.

I've tried being nice about this. It didn't work. People gooned the gently caress out and the echo chamber about how the modding team is sacrosanct got so loud that it bled over into Let's Play, and Amanasleep got probated for bringing the attitude over there. Main reason it didn't happen here was because I didn't give enough of a poo poo to report the posts. Goons gonna goon.

I've tried being curt about this. It didn't work. People gooned the gently caress out about it so hard that I had to threaten to lock the thread, and apparently Darkrenown was so sensitive about it he's been smarting about it for over a month.

Now I am trying being an rear end in a top hat about this, because it's been a thing for over a year in this loving thread and apparently nothing else works. How about instead of presuming that people voicing this are being entitled shitlords, it gets explained why criticism of the process isn't OK, but criticism on bugs, balance, and features are? Those three subjects get discussed routinely in this thread and nobody gets butthurt. But when someone so much as breathes that completely avoidable problems are annoying, that's across the loving line? Could anyone venture an answer to the question of "How does this mod's price make it immune to criticism of its process" without also giving a rationale for immunity to criticism of bugs, balance, and features? If it's not OK to suggest improvements to the process, how is it, at the same time, OK to say that the MEC nerf sucks?

You seem to be confusing criticism, with just general white-noise whining. Maybe it is time you lock the thread and walk away.

A thing being free and a project of love not labor doesn't make it immune to criticism, but as everyone is pointing out, you have absurdly high expectations that simply cannot be met with the resources they have.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

A thing being free and a project of love not labor doesn't make it immune to criticism, but as everyone is pointing out, you have absurdly high expectations that simply cannot be met with the resources they have.
What about a process that multiple people have pointed out would require nothing but a change in thinking constitutes an absurdly high expectation? Nobody is suggesting that they hire full time people that require salaries and health insurance. Nobody is suggesting that they massively delay every release to pour dozens upon dozens of hours of their own time into QAing something repetitively. Nobody is doing what it is you insist they are doing, so if anyone is white noise, it's you. So perhaps it is instead time for you to close the thread and walk away, because the rest of us are having a fine-old time with this. Changes in thinking happen all the time, especially in this mod, which takes so much prompting from its players. Why is this so sacrosanct? Nobody has even attempted to answer this question.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Coolguye posted:

What about a process that multiple people have pointed out would require nothing but a change in thinking constitutes an absurdly high expectation? Nobody is suggesting that they hire full time people that require salaries and health insurance. Nobody is suggesting that they massively delay every release to pour dozens upon dozens of hours of their own time into QAing something repetitively. Nobody is doing what it is you insist they are doing, so if anyone is white noise, it's you. So perhaps it is instead time for you to close the thread and walk away, because the rest of us are having a fine-old time with this. Changes in thinking happen all the time, especially in this mod, which takes so much prompting from its players. Why is this so sacrosanct? Nobody has even attempted to answer this question.

I already solved that problem for you

420 Gank Mid posted:

you can fix just about everything yourself either with a little tweaking or going back to an older version (Maybe even :aaaaa: VANILLA XCOM)

Nothing is 'sacrosanct' you are just a whiny whingey terrible poster and I asked you to stop sperging out over this and you wont.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

I already solved that problem for you

That is neither a problem I have, nor a question I posed. Which, hey, you're white noise! Congratulations!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yes yes we all understand that this isn't the perfect mod and I'm 100% sure you could do totally better, and Johnny Lump owes you perfection and cupcakes and a new puppy.
Oh and by the way this totally isn't whiny bullshit that comes apropos of nothing!

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
A guy who is skilled is making a thing. I like most of that thing, but I wish he would focus on a few areas. Instead he adds more things that no one seems to be asking for, and makes balance decisions based on YouTube/Twitch super-players.

It's the same reason Dwarf Fortress is so fun and so infuriating, because the potential for perfection is there, but the creator (as they are entitled to) would rather do other things. Stop doing A and do B you jerk!!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

This whole "opt-in" thing is pointless, mostly because we already have that.

Where? Well they are the first X people who downloaded the mod and commented about it on Reddit.

And Coolguye, calm the gently caress down, you are way too mad to read anything and you're just arguing for argument's sake.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

420 Gank Mid, the issue was never specifically about certain things between different betas, but using that as an example to criticize how seemingly poor the infrastructure and support systems are for the modding team, and why it should be corrected.

It is especially disconcerting especially if johnnylump and amineri are seriously considering making an original game based off Long War. How long have they been working on LW? If they have a repository or bug trackers, then they sure as hell aren't using it. At the moment they are basically just tallying feedback from the nexus forums, reddit, /xcg/ and other sources for general feedback. And even then as something as extensive with changes as Long War (and how difficult it is to make certain changes), having something to support that should be paramount.

That's probably fine for a mod but if they are gonna have to start an entire project from scratch - write all the game systems and mechanics, much less the art - then things like these are important to have in place. Especially when the mod has had years of on and off development time and there are plenty of open source options for development infrastructure it's a little baffling modding in 2015 is still a small group of people tweaking separate files, and passing them back and forth via email or something clumsy like that.

Bholder posted:

Where? Well they are the first X people who downloaded the mod and commented about it on Reddit.

And Coolguye, calm the gently caress down, you are way too mad to read anything and you're just arguing for argument's sake.
It would be internal beta testers to opt in on something like a subversion branch of the mod (if not the same internal build the modders use inbetween released versions). They'd all be volunteers too but they would at least be helping to squash gamebreaking bugs and all that on their time. That's not the same as a public release followed by people wondering why certain non-obscure bugs creep up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bholder posted:

I'm glad you think you can infer emotion from text, but the only emotion I've got from this is disbelief that this exact same bullshit keeps happening. I'm being a colossal dick about it because, like I said, I've tried doing everything else I can think of. Hell, bring it up again in six months, maybe I'll start doing cubist comics to transcend the language barrier. In the meantime, if you morons could have a little bit of a thicker skin about this particular subject and not breathlessly compare a simple suggestion to a MOBA for some bizarre loving reason that'd be grand!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sober posted:

It would be internal beta testers to opt in on something like a subversion branch of the mod (if not the same internal build the modders use inbetween released versions). They'd all be volunteers too but they would at least be helping to squash gamebreaking bugs and all that on their time. That's not the same as a public release followed by people wondering why certain non-obscure bugs creep up.

Why bother with internal beta testers?

If you are oh so worried by bugs then put a disclaimer about it on the page.

Coolguye posted:

I'm glad you think you can infer emotion from text, but the only emotion I've got from this is disbelief that this exact same bullshit keeps happening. I'm being a colossal dick about it because, like I said, I've tried doing everything else I can think of. Hell, bring it up again in six months, maybe I'll start doing cubist comics to transcend the language barrier. In the meantime, if you morons could have a little bit of a thicker skin about this particular subject and not breathlessly compare a simple suggestion to a MOBA for some bizarre loving reason that'd be grand!

I can infer emotion because you are still posting.

loving STOP!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Sober posted:

420 Gank Mid, the issue was never specifically about certain things between different betas, but using that as an example to criticize how seemingly poor the infrastructure and support systems are for the modding team, and why it should be corrected.

"Should be corrected" yeah of course in an ideal world it would be. But the expectations some people have is pretty absurd to me that they would foist that onto people who can only realistically be called amateurs (no offense intended) who work for nothing and probably don't really have the option to dedicate the time and effort to fixing all of these things. I don't know how well Johnnylump's book has been selling but I doubt it's enough to quit his dayjob yet.

quote:

It is especially disconcerting especially if johnnylump and amineri are seriously considering making an original game based off Long War. How long have they been working on LW? If they have a repository or bug trackers, then they sure as hell aren't using it. At the moment they are basically just tallying feedback from the nexus forums, reddit, /xcg/ and other sources for general feedback. And even then as something as extensive with changes as Long War (and how difficult it is to make certain changes), having something to support that should be paramount.That's probably fine for a mod but if they are gonna have to start an entire project from scratch - write all the game systems and mechanics, much less the art - then things like these are important to have in place. Especially when the mod has had years of on and off development time and there are plenty of open source options for development infrastructure it's a little baffling modding in 2015 is still a small group of people tweaking separate files, and passing them back and forth via email or something clumsy like that.

I had no idea the LW crew had eyes on a standalone game. I wish them the best of luck but past experience (Magna Mundi, DayZ) tells me they've got one hell of a learning curve ahead of them

Coolguye posted:

"The same thing keeps happening over and over again so I'm just gonna get madder and louder every time it happens until the problem is solved"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bholder posted:

1) Closer feedback loop - you can push stuff much quicker with an email list or a regular publishing schedule. They can then install and get you feedback much faster than a general release.
2) Better communication - you can't trust the first 10 people on Reddit to have any idea what they are talking about. Talking with the same people on a regular basis, you can learn their style and whether or not they're even worth talking to. If one of your testers is continuously giving you feedback that Impossible is too easy because XYZ, and you note from his comments that he only plays impossible and only plays the first 3 months, you can use that to color your interpretation of his feedback!
3) Easier interfacing - these tools surrounding these processes that we're talking about were developed for a reason: to make your life easier. Using them allows you to more efficiently see what's wrong, how to address it, and to quickly have something turned around and ready. Nexus doesn't allow you to do this beyond uploading an entirely new version of your mod, which is very, very high friction.

There. Three reasons. Want to respond to those?

quote:

I can infer emotion because you are still posting.

loving STOP!

I've been completely honest about why I'm posting and what I'm doing. It's precisely to impress upon folks like you that this is not OK. By the way, you're still not engaging the actual question, so I presume you don't have an answer to it. Oh and by the way you're the one who's using all caps to shout over the internet, so hey I guess you're the one who's mad as gently caress and projecting! Haha!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

"The same thing keeps happening over and over again so I'm just gonna get madder and louder every time it happens until the problem is solved"
Definition of insanity, bro, if you've got a better suggestion I promise you that I will listen to you with all the care and respect you gave everyone who disagreed with you! :)

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Sober posted:

It is especially disconcerting especially if johnnylump and amineri are seriously considering making an original game based off Long War. How long have they been working on LW? If they have a repository or bug trackers, then they sure as hell aren't using it. At the moment they are basically just tallying feedback from the nexus forums, reddit, /xcg/ and other sources for general feedback. And even then as something as extensive with changes as Long War (and how difficult it is to make certain changes), having something to support that should be paramount.

That's probably fine for a mod but if they are gonna have to start an entire project from scratch - write all the game systems and mechanics, much less the art - then things like these are important to have in place. Especially when the mod has had years of on and off development time and there are plenty of open source options for development infrastructure it's a little baffling modding in 2015 is still a small group of people tweaking separate files, and passing them back and forth via email or something clumsy like that.

I am actually really excited to see how them working on their own project goes because at this point it's pretty clear that they are just proving how solid the underlying systems of XCOM are to handle the ridiculous poorly thought out changes that they've been making. No one's running max possible damage reduction calculations, or checking how much HP aliens have VS expected player damage output, or making sure that adding 20% psy XP actually does anything. It seems like they're just bumping some numbers around until the entire thing breaks then they dial it back a bit.

Bholder posted:

Why even run the game between updates, just change some values and ship that noise if it doesn't work they can fix it them selves.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Misandu posted:

I am actually really excited to see how them working on their own project goes because at this point it's pretty clear that they are just proving how solid the underlying systems of XCOM are to handle the ridiculous poorly thought out changes that they've been making. No one's running max possible damage reduction calculations, or checking how much HP aliens have VS expected player damage output, or making sure that adding 20% psy XP actually does anything. It seems like they're just bumping some numbers around until the entire thing breaks then they dial it back a bit.
There is some sense of dread and foreboding mixed with excitement to see what they'd have in store if they did have their own project. Mostly just how much of it devolves into becoming an OG X-Com clone (or present/semi-futuristic styled Xenonauts) while feature creep just piles up every revision.

I have an inkling that JL doesn't particularly love the limits the Firaxis XCOM game has imposed for modders (because it was never intended to be modded), with having to literally hack stuff together. Not being able to write new perks, facilities, systems, etc. must probably be very infuriating and requires all that ambition to be tempered by the limits. Although I'm not so sure where it would go if he had full reign and wrote his own systems and mechanics. I'd mostly be curious how much LW the mod would inherit from Firaxis' XCOM (the boardgame 'feel') over Gollop's X-Com (to be more like a strategy/tactics game with high degrees of granularity).

Probably the latter, is my guess.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Bholder posted:

loving STOP!

You sound like you are mad, friend. Maybe it is you that needs to take a break?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Definition of insanity, bro, if you've got a better suggestion I promise you that I will listen to you with all the care and respect you gave everyone who disagreed with you! :)

Agreed, you are insane.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Coolguye is right :colbert:

Full disclosure: I work in software QA

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

amanasleep posted:

The mission is scripted, but I think LW added a few extra pods over what exists on vanilla (at least one!) and made the pods a bit bigger as well. Its easy to get overrun on that map if you aren't expecting it, especially in LW. You need a gimmick squad, either shotguns for everyone or snipers with battlescanners or an army of infantry. Flashbangs are also good for neutering lids, since they cluster up and need to move into melee. A squad full of assaults with CCS is absolutely hilarious on that map though, provided you always shoot any lid that looks bigger or has more HP on the turn they activate (because they likely have lightning reflexes).

As for the +1 damage small items, they are an absolute godsend against seekers and drones in late spring and early summer, before you have higher tier weapons for your troops. That 2 DR on seekers makes them a pod of them a nightmare with just ballistics. Going from 1-2 damage after DR to 2-4 damage means dropping a seeker in two hits instead of three, and landing hits on the flying jerks is hard enough as is. Its hard to justify taking them after the early game though, usually you're better off stacking accuracy, survivability or more bullets over 1 more point of damage.

Speaking of seekers, are they not supposed to give weapon fragments? Something like a fifth of all aliens are seekers (by corpses I collect at least), and not getting fragments hurts considering how many are needed for projects. Did JL gently caress up the seeker weapon to not give frags and just forgot about it? Or is this 'balance'?

Misandu posted:

I feel this is basically how a lot of LWs changes are made as well. While I enjoy many of the new systems added to the game, I think quite a few of them are very poorly balanced and in general not very well meshed together. I really wish LW was either modular or unreal editing was easier, because while I like the mod overall there are several systems I'd rather not deal with or preferred vanilla functionality. I think my biggest issue with the mod is the whole 'Long War' aspect. I get something close to 12 missions a month between terror, council, abductions and shoot downs. I know the idea is that you're not supposed to go on every mission but that really isn't an option. The difficulty curve is balanced around responding to everything. It has to be, because if they balanced around only responding to 50-75% of the missions than anyone who was insane enough to do all of them would break the game and complain it was too easy. I dearly wish I was dedicated enough to get under the hood of the game and mod the alien AI and rebalance the whole thing for 6-7 missions a month (and not Dynamic War, Dynamic War is terrible and poorly implemented and needs a full overhaul that will probably never come).

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 17, 2015

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Not a Step posted:

The mission is scripted, but I think LW added a few extra pods over what exists on vanilla (at least one!) and made the pods a bit bigger as well. Its easy to get overrun on that map if you aren't expecting it, especially in LW. You need a gimmick squad, either shotguns for everyone or snipers with battlescanners or an army of infantry. Flashbangs are also good for neutering lids, since they cluster up and need to move into melee. A squad full of assaults with CCS is absolutely hilarious on that map though, provided you always shoot any lid that looks bigger or has more HP on the turn they activate (because they likely have lightning reflexes).

As for the +1 damage small items, they are an absolute godsend against seekers and drones in late spring and early summer, before you have higher tier weapons for your troops. That 2 DR on seekers makes them a pod of them a nightmare with just ballistics. Going from 1-2 damage after DR to 2-4 damage means dropping a seeker in two hits instead of three, and landing hits on the flying jerks is hard enough as is. Its hard to justify taking them after the early game though, usually you're better off stacking accuracy, survivability or more bullets iver 1 more point of damage.

Speaking of seekers, are they not supposed to give weapon fragments? Something like a fifth of all aliens are seekers (by corpses I collect at least), and not getting fragments hurts considering how many are needed for projects. Did JL gently caress up the seeker weapon to not give frags and just forgot about it? Or is this 'balance'?

I'm pretty certain Seekers get fragments, but 90% of the Seekers I see get a HEAT Shredder Rocket on contact so I don't get any fragments from those.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

amanasleep posted:

I'm pretty certain Seekers get fragments, but 90% of the Seekers I see get a HEAT Shredder Rocket on contact so I don't get any fragments from those.

Then I must have a bug, because I never see a message informing me a seeker weapon exploded into fragments, and any mission I have thats substantially made up of seekers I come away with markedly fewer fragments, sometimes only one or two off the outsider

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Am I missing something? What is the point of bitching about LW in this thread instead of in the Nexus forums? Do we have LW devs perusing this very thread?

LW isn't sacrosanct but complaining just to complain is pointless and dilutes the thread. There's a difference between "why can't they test their patches before release" and the "the repair system sucks. How do I mod it out?" Not many people care much about the former. The majority of posts in the past few pages of this thread have been pointless to anyone who actually wants to discuss playing the game.

On a game-related note, how does Australia's starting bonus work exactly? I've noticed soldiers with pretty high movement, HP and aim but I also don't use Strict Screening so I can't tell which bonuses are from the country.

Which stats are affected and does it occur at recruitment or level up to SPEC?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Lets be real, how many threads in games or SA at large would still exist without people bitching for bitching's sake?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Davethulhu posted:

Coolguye is right :colbert:

Full disclosure: I work in software QA

Yeah, I'm on the dev team for a major mod for a game that a) is much easier to mod than XCOM, and b) Darkrenown might be familiar with, and frankly even we couldn't live without source control and internal testing and the like, they're fairly basic project management procedures and it's hardly beyond the pale to think that LW could use them even as a free spare time project.

That said, since JL doesn't read this thread I imagine that the project management discussion, like the balance discussion, can get a bit tedious to read.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
So, Hit 'n Run is amazing, and muscle fiber density is amazing. Taken together, though, it reaches levels of complete bliss.
Landed terror ship, october. I bring most of my A team, having to exhaust a good number of them. On the team is a MSGT Assault, Sally 'Blitz' Peterson.

I get probably the most hellish variant of the supply barge, which is the one with a scant six or so tiles between the sides of the ship and the edges of the map. Oh, and also there's absolutely no cover within a blue move of the LZ, and really nothing at all. There's also little space and cover in front of the engine/supply bay.

I really don't know what you can possibly do on this configuration other than beeline for the large roof above the supply bay, and hope you don't make huge contact before you get there.
Oh yeah, scanner around the side showed that there was a cyberdisk pod, and a 3 berserker 3 muton pod in view of the only ramp up to the roof ladder.

Thankfully, berserkers move into the ship, and I dash people up into the single log to the side to activate the disk pod, and get ready to bumrush through it to the roof. Kill the seekers and drones, but the disk decides to just flat out disappear somewhere into the center of the barge. I take the roof anyways, now paranoid that a disk can pop up on literally any side of the ship.
Sent a scout to get eyes on the disk, and hey they command outsider pod happens to be right below me. In the middle of this, the awol cyberdisk reappears and floats up over the side. By sheer miracle, the team hits every overwatch shot and swats it out of the air. The outsiders eventually die jumping up to the fortified roof, but now the whole map is starting to converge under me.

Very soon had a heavy floater pod active, and the 3 berserker/muton pod which came back. And also 6 elite mutons, more normal mutons, and just for fun a 5 berserker pod with 3 more elite mutons rolled in. And more mutons at some point, I kind of lost count.

I was pretty sure everyone was dead. I couldn't get close to the edge of the roof for fear of the sea of berserkers, and not enough firepower to engage huge numbers of elites.

I then realized the jumpy legs assault could actually just step off the roof, take a hit and run shot, and then leap back up top while everyone covered the ladders and sides for any aliens that could jump.

As long as the drop and jump was on the same tile, this completely ignored overwatch. Although there was a dicey moment when one of the elite mutons apparently had covering fire and nearly pasted her.

For the next 30 minutes or so, she repeatedly jumped off the roof and scatter blasted, shredded, and heater blasted nearly the entire contingent of berserkers and mutons single handedly. She'd often land in the middle of a cloud of berserkers and it didn't matter at all. Without active LOS, the berserkers seemed somewhat confused, and never bumrushed the roof en-masse. Elite muton were shredded and weakened, and by the time they made it to the ladders overwatch infantry and medic, and Peterson with CCS deflected them without incident.

Sally 'Blitz' Peterson will go down in the annals of XCOM as the woman who basically soloed an entire supply barge:

e: if post like this are annoying or something let me know and I'll stop, or just tldr it if something neat happens. I really just wanted to share how utterly amazing hit 'n run comboed with jumpy legs turned out to be here.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 17, 2015

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

animatorZed posted:

e: if post like this are annoying or something let me know and I'll stop, or just tldr it if something neat happens. I really just wanted to share how utterly amazing hit 'n run comboed with jumpy legs turned out to be here.

Keep posting 'em. I learned a new tactic.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More Newfoundland TacticsTM: Bring AP grenades. Bring lots of grenades. Or maybe rockets. Basically you can't go wrong with bringing a bunch of explosives because Chrysallids like to bunch up a lot on that map. Don't go full shotguns because the thin man pod will be a pain to deal with.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

Keep posting 'em. I learned a new tactic.
Also, posts like that are way more fun than the repetitive "JL has no version control and doesn't beta test his beta game releases!" vs "its a free mod!" slapfight.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

My cunning plan to cluster near the trucks by the fish market was almost derailed because I forgot that both Chrysallids and Skinnies can JUMP. Nearly got outflanked by a pod running over the roof.

Thankfully, shotguns.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

animatorZed posted:

So, Hit 'n Run is amazing, and muscle fiber density is amazing. Taken together, though, it reaches levels of complete bliss.
Landed terror ship, october. I bring most of my A team, having to exhaust a good number of them. On the team is a MSGT Assault, Sally 'Blitz' Peterson.

I get probably the most hellish variant of the supply barge, which is the one with a scant six or so tiles between the sides of the ship and the edges of the map. Oh, and also there's absolutely no cover within a blue move of the LZ, and really nothing at all. There's also little space and cover in front of the engine/supply bay.

I really don't know what you can possibly do on this configuration other than beeline for the large roof above the supply bay, and hope you don't make huge contact before you get there.
Oh yeah, scanner around the side showed that there was a cyberdisk pod, and a 3 berserker 3 muton pod in view of the only ramp up to the roof ladder.

Thankfully, berserkers move into the ship, and I dash people up into the single log to the side to activate the disk pod, and get ready to bumrush through it to the roof. Kill the seekers and drones, but the disk decides to just flat out disappear somewhere into the center of the barge. I take the roof anyways, now paranoid that a disk can pop up on literally any side of the ship.
Sent a scout to get eyes on the disk, and hey they command outsider pod happens to be right below me. In the middle of this, the awol cyberdisk reappears and floats up over the side. By sheer miracle, the team hits every overwatch shot and swats it out of the air. The outsiders eventually die jumping up to the fortified roof, but now the whole map is starting to converge under me.

Very soon had a heavy floater pod active, and the 3 berserker/muton pod which came back. And also 6 elite mutons, more normal mutons, and just for fun a 5 berserker pod with 3 more elite mutons rolled in. And more mutons at some point, I kind of lost count.

I was pretty sure everyone was dead. I couldn't get close to the edge of the roof for fear of the sea of berserkers, and not enough firepower to engage huge numbers of elites.

I then realized the jumpy legs assault could actually just step off the roof, take a hit and run shot, and then leap back up top while everyone covered the ladders and sides for any aliens that could jump.

As long as the drop and jump was on the same tile, this completely ignored overwatch. Although there was a dicey moment when one of the elite mutons apparently had covering fire and nearly pasted her.

For the next 30 minutes or so, she repeatedly jumped off the roof and scatter blasted, shredded, and heater blasted nearly the entire contingent of berserkers and mutons single handedly. She'd often land in the middle of a cloud of berserkers and it didn't matter at all. Without active LOS, the berserkers seemed somewhat confused, and never bumrushed the roof en-masse. Elite muton were shredded and weakened, and by the time they made it to the ladders overwatch infantry and medic, and Peterson with CCS deflected them without incident.

Sally 'Blitz' Peterson will go down in the annals of XCOM as the woman who basically soloed an entire supply barge:

Please please post more, the last 10 pages of diarrhea have been terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

animatorZed posted:

:words: Amazing stuff.

Post more, this was great.

I just cleared a Large UFO, then on my next turn I had a small UFO, and the next turn... a Large UFO landed. It is only loving late May. This is great because I get a ton of resources, but give me a minute to breathe. :suicide:
loving 4 outsiders on that last large UFO. gently caress you aliens. Yeah, they had a thin man with them too. gently caress you.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread