Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

I haven't done any practical tests on the matter, but in the mean time it should be possible to replace 4 way intersections of 4 lane streets (and maybe 6 lane? Not sure of their behavior) with a 8 way 2 lane chaos intersection with a relatively small footprint. Basically a 4 lane terminating into 2x one way two lanes on the correct sides of the street is lightless, do this 4 times at the projected intersection and you have a 8 way party intersection that's not entirely not round about like the way the AI drives.
It's more of an aesthetic thing. In the UK we use mini-roundabouts a lot so that's naturally what I want to see at junctions where several fairly busy two-lane roads meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the UK and Oz and the rest of the world use mini-roundabouts and the US doesn't because the US apparently has unlighted all-way-stop-intersections and I mean what the gently caress is with that whereas here in Oz the only way to give all directions equal priority without lights is a roundabout.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 16, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tunga posted:

It's more of an aesthetic thing. In the UK we use mini-roundabouts a lot so that's naturally what I want to see at junctions where several fairly busy two-lane roads meet.
Fair enough, I had the wrong picture of a mini roundabout in my head. It'd be an interesting aestethic toggle since it'd probably be worse for the traffic than the 4-way chaos intersections you get with the default 2 lane roads anyway.

Also I was wrong about a 4 lane 4 way chaos intersection being a better footprint than the equivalent roundabout but doesn't it look loving amazing?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Captain Mediocre posted:

Why not have both? AKA the Milton Keynes solution.

(It's a very unpleasant place to drive/exist)

I'm thinking of building a mini Milton Keynes, or a full scale Milton Keynes, as a suburb in my current city, just to see how it works.

Hopefully it will work like the real world MK (terribly)! I just need someone to make a 70s new town shopping centre and housing build set and I'll be all over that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

Fair enough, I had the wrong picture of a mini roundabout in my head.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about :

Can't find a good photo of a four-way but it's the same idea.

In the US I think you get a thing, I think you call it a "four-way stop"? Instead of those we would put a mini-roundabout down.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tunga posted:

In the US I think you get a thing, I think you call it a "four-way stop"? Instead of those we would put a mini-roundabout down.
My brain shortcutted to "smaller roundabout" because of some of the complaints about the radius needed to properly tee off a roundabout in the game being slightly excessive.

Where you see an orderly system of traffic conveyance, I see opportunity:

I've run into a few on sidestreets in OC, California. They had substantial curbs to prevent that. I assume the average California driver attempted to make up for it by taking the roundabout even faster because there were 5mph speed bumps at the entrances.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

zedprime posted:

My brain shortcutted to "smaller roundabout" because of some of the complaints about the radius needed to properly tee off a roundabout in the game being slightly excessive.

Where you see an orderly system of traffic conveyance, I see opportunity:

I've run into a few on sidestreets in OC, California. They had substantial curbs to prevent that. I assume the average California driver attempted to make up for it by taking the roundabout even faster because there were 5mph speed bumps at the entrances.

I can confirm this. There's a large roundabout to a park nearby and people would drive over it- only if they had the clearance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We don't have any painted roundabouts here. They're all raised, usually a low rim that busses or trucks could mount and then a high centre. If they're small enough the whole thing will be low but Melbourne streets tended to be wide from the start so there's usually enough room for a full one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 16, 2015

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

MikeJF posted:

We don't have any painted roundabouts here. They're all raised, usually a low rim that busses or trucks could mount and then a high centre. If they're small enough the whole thing will be low but Melbourne streets tended to be wide from the start so there's usually enough room for a full one.

do the roundabouts have cut-throughs in them the width of an ambulance's wheel base? They do that with all the speed bumps around here now, and I would think it would have the same concern. Of course, assholes in their trucks can (do) also use it to ignore the speed bumps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No, but there's enough road that an ambulance wouldn't have to mount the roundabout if it was just going around it. Unless it was some kind of giant bus ambulance.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

zedprime posted:

Fair enough, I had the wrong picture of a mini roundabout in my head. It'd be an interesting aestethic toggle since it'd probably be worse for the traffic than the 4-way chaos intersections you get with the default 2 lane roads anyway.

Also I was wrong about a 4 lane 4 way chaos intersection being a better footprint than the equivalent roundabout but doesn't it look loving amazing?

So was the swastika intended or not?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

So was the swastika intended or not?

Accidentally building swastikas is an accepted hazard of city building games.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Captain Mediocre posted:

Why not have both? AKA the Milton Keynes solution.

(It's a very unpleasant place to drive/exist)

I've never been to MK (and I hope never to go there) but I can never get enough of looking at maps and pictures of the place. It's like someone decided to combine every single bad idea in urban planning into one, and it's amazing how they came up with creative design solutions to combine them and make what is basically one huge soulless suburb. No wonder the British poo poo on it so much.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tunga posted:

Theres a bunch of these in Seattle, but they put raised things in the middle so you can't just drive straight through.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I'm pretty burnt out on the Long Lines building so I made something else. I'll continue to tinker with long lines while doing a few other projects.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426061488

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hubis posted:

do the roundabouts have cut-throughs in them the width of an ambulance's wheel base? They do that with all the speed bumps around here now, and I would think it would have the same concern. Of course, assholes in their trucks can (do) also use it to ignore the speed bumps.
In the UK people often think these are for ambulances but generally they are not: these are only used on roads which have bus routes on them. So we'll get some roads with the gaps and other roads of the same size that don't. Ambulances just have to hope that people with back injuries live near a bus route I guess.

Reason posted:

Theres a bunch of these in Seattle, but they put raised things in the middle so you can't just drive straight through.
I've actually been to Seattle half a dozen times because a previous employer had their HQ there. Nice place. Never saw a roundabout though :( . Most junctions there are a lot bigger though, unless these are more out of town?

Bit of a tangent but yeah, I want smaller roundabouts in Skylines.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 16, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MikeJF posted:

In Texas (yes there are roundabouts in Texas), I see a lot of roundabouts with raised gardens in the center as a mixture of area beautification and to keep people from driving straight through them in their massive trucks. Even the biggest rear end in a top hat needs a few drinks in him to think it's a good idea to try to skip the roundabout by going straight through waist-high concrete walls.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alkydere posted:

In Texas (yes there are roundabouts in Texas), I see a lot of roundabouts with raised gardens in the center as a mixture of area beautification and to keep people from driving straight through them in their massive trucks. Even the biggest rear end in a top hat needs a few drinks in him to think it's a good idea to try to skip the roundabout by going straight through waist-high concrete walls.

Yeah, that's what they tend to do here too. Put a few plants in the bit in the middle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least until they go too far and build up the plants so high you can't see the far side.

It's awesome when people just do stuff without considering the overall effect.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

xzzy posted:

At least until they go too far and build up the plants so high you can't see the far side.

thats also on roundabouts where theres a super long sightline and soome tried (and failed) to get onto the rounabout ahead of someone. The less pretty version of the same concept:

link
which is to disuade people from taking the roundabout at 70mph.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Bored at work so I've decided to link some mods that might be interesting

A waterfront park/parking lot
Dense Residential building with a fun art installation on top.
Not quite Hamsterdam material
Tasteful single level street parking
Pedestrian bus stop / flyover footpath combo
A wooden fence! Wow!
A nice UI mod - Silicon Skin V1.0
Marina - popular mod
A Lovely seawall.
Plopable Canoes! Perfect for shorelines!
Cute 1x1 park
Better elementary school
Stone wall - You know what, check it all out
Buddha Park - slightly disturbing
Modern skyscraper
4x4 park
Modular docks!
Highway rest-stop
Really charming low density commercial
Alternate farmland
A nice HD green residential
Are you a consumer whore? I sure am!
Island Map - no clue if good - looks good?
A very compact roundabout + footpath
Small gazebo park
A well rounded ginkgo tree
Modern LD residential
Sandy volleyball
Discrete Den of Ill Repute
Mini Maze Park
Really great area filler plopables
A nice office building

There are so many awesome mods for this game. I hope the link spam helps someone find something fitting for their city! :)

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 16, 2015

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Is there any way to make steam automatically subscribe to dependencies?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'll definitely grab some of these, thanks.

I check the workshop every day (more than I play the game at this point) looking for poo poo to download but some of it always seems to slip through the cracks.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

:aaa:

These are some pro clicks. I loved what people did with the seawall mods in SimCity 4 and was wondering when someone would make something for this game, I'm definitely going to have play around with a bunch of these

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!

I've gotten lots of feedback that it isn't Hamsterdam-y enough so I'm gonna make a busted up L1 version, then once Przbylewski saves all the kids it can upgrade to the L2 version

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

A while ago, someone in the traffic engineer thread mentioned that you're not supposed to have good sight to the opposite side of a full roundabout. The idea being that traffic entering should only consider whether to yield based on circling traffic at most a quarter turn before. Having too good visibility could lower efficiency.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm in the market for a mod collection that neatly pulls together parks and plazas of various sizes and themes, for all the little nooks and crannies in my city.

Anyone know of such a spectacle?

edit:

:3

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nielsm posted:

A while ago, someone in the traffic engineer thread mentioned that you're not supposed to have good sight to the opposite side of a full roundabout. The idea being that traffic entering should only consider whether to yield based on circling traffic at most a quarter turn before. Having too good visibility could lower efficiency.

Where I am there are small roundabouts that you can see all of and sure enough barely anyone knows what the gently caress they're doing and just treats it like a 4 way hybrid stop/yield where they a) stop at the entrance of the roundabout regardless if there is traffic in the circle or not, and b) will wait until all cars clear out of the circle before entering.

Had a car honk at me the other day because I entered the roundabout when they were still on the opposite side of it. Get hosed, stop speeding. Assholes.

The only redeeming thing is that they are new roundabouts in an area that has never had any roundabouts at all and I think most people just legit don't know what the gently caress to do.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ShootaBoy posted:

So it seems one of the recent updates made all the custom LUT's have the same generic name, anyone know how to fix this?

It was the last patch, and no, but if you find out please let us know. I mentioned it when it first started, but no one seemed to care.

KKKlean Energy posted:

I'm in the market for a mod collection that neatly pulls together parks and plazas of various sizes and themes, for all the little nooks and crannies in my city.

Anyone know of such a spectacle?

I don't know of an all-encompassing collection, but here's my collection of a few smaller plazas I've made: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=419745533

I might make more in the future.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 16, 2015

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

This absolutely needs to go into the OP.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Oh God drat it of course the SC4 community is going to drown us in a sea of loving dependencies.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
The thing with dependencies is if you subscribe to something that has them, it pops up saying you need "bobs citrus tree 1, leanne's box prop" and so on, and they are all clickable and easy to subscribe to.

So we have that, at least.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

Oh God drat it of course the SC4 community is going to drown us in a sea of loving dependencies.

And some of those dependencies also are used as trees or decor! I downloaded a building that needed hedges. The hedges are props that also show up in the trees section too. Wonderful! :suicide:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What happens if you just use the building without downloading the props it needs? Will it crash or will it just not appear in the menu or will you be able to plop the thing but just have blank spots where the props where?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

:shepicide:

Fake-edit: Some of the dependencies have dependencies, and there's no collection for 'subscribe all' :gonk:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
How the gently caress does this game have dependencies? Shouldn't buildings/parks/etc include all the required stuff in the first place?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

How the gently caress did it get to that stage so fast?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I don't know how I feel about roundabouts. On the one hand they flow really well and are pretty much the answer to all minor traffic issues. On the other, when they fail, they fail spectacularly. When your roundabout gets overloaded you pretty much get utterly boned with gridlock, whereas a lighted intersection will still work albeit slowly. I have had times where my network works swimmingly until I place some new zones that cause a momentary rush of new vehicles that just ruins everything. It eventually settles down but that rush is killer.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
^The solution to that problem is more roundabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my college town has the opposite problem. they put "art" in the middle of an intersection, now people think it's a roundabout, blow through the stop sign and swerve into the crosswalks with pedestrians.

real genius move there, guys.

http://www.krcrtv.com/north-coast-news/news/arcata-public-works-addresses-intersection-confusion/31790730