Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karnegal posted:

Independent vs undecided are two different things. I'm registered as a democrat so I can vote in primaries (not that this presidential one will matter), but I wouldn't identify as a democrat because I think the party is poo poo. They just get by on the republicans being more poo poo. Registering as an independent (at least in the states I've lived in) just means you're saying, "hey, I'd like to be allowed to vote on fewer things!"

EDIT: Oh hey didn't refresh recently, we're a page past that discussion. Oops

Is this like the mirror of the Freepers who constantly complain about RINO's but vote straight ticket Republican every election? There will never be a party that has all your beliefs included, the best you can ever hope for in a 2 party system is a close match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Tennessee State House named the Bible the official state book yesterday, but it might run into trouble in the State Senate today. State Senate Republican leader Mark Norris has a novel opposition to the idea:

quote:

“All I know is that I hear Satan snickering, he loves this kind of mischief,” Norris said. “You just dumb the good book down far enough to make it whatever it takes to make it a state symbol, and you’re on your way to where he wants you.”

:devil:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The DoJ needs a bigass expansion where they hire a few thousand people whose sole job is to go full blown :commissar: on police departments when they gently caress around like this.

Also even more reason for this lovely pay-to-be-a-cop guy needs to be taken for everything by the victim's family.

Fried Chicken posted:

The Western Conservative Summit is one of the bigger gatherings of the right, with a bunch of influential people gathering there. Among those scheduled to speak at the upcoming one are Walker, Carson, Santorum, Fiorina, Huckabee, and Perry.

And they just barred the Log Cabin Republicans from attending in the grounds they "advocate contrary to our agenda and our core beliefs" per statement from the summit chairman.

I despair for the rebranding

And the LCR will still all pull the giant R lever when the election rolls around.

zoux posted:

Yes. Stop it. Stop using the extremely good counterpoint that if we're talking about deserving money, that no one in the whole world has ever done anything that would entitle them to the kinds of salaries that CEOs make. That is a good argument and therefore I don't want to hear it.

The dirty secret is that those ultra rich CEOs do gently caress all because pretty much everything has been delegated to other people. Are you so dense as to think a CEO sits there hashing out the details of large deals or mergers? No, the legal team and others do that. Those teams might make as much as the CEO if you combine their salaries, even though they do shitloads more work.

"Work hard and be reward" isn't a good argument because it's factually untrue and the people at the top actively have the rungs cut off the ladder when possible.

g0del posted:

He attempts to raise rent, only to see all his renters leave for other landlords who are willing to undercut him, forcing him to lower his rents in response, until finally an equilibrium is reached which leaves rent at roughly the same price as it was before? Or is Mr. Walsh admitting that the all-powerful free market doesn't actually apply perfectly in all situations? Or maybe he's just implying that all landlords are colluding with each other to keep rents as high as possible.

Landlords and rental companies absolutely collude to some degree and rent always goes up. Even in the meltdown of 2008 the apartment I was renting was going to go up about 7% because ~market demand~ because you know just how well the market was doing when Obama was sworn in ans poo poo was on fire.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
To be fair, the CEO of a smaller company (50 or fewer employees) does do a lot of strategizing, but for big companies they are basically a feudal lord but with fewer obligations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one in the history of mankind has ever done anything that would justify the kinds of money that Fortune 500 CEOs make.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

No one in the history of mankind has ever done anything that would justify the kinds of money that Fortune 500 CEOs make.

Jonas Salk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

QwertyAsher posted:

Jonas Salk.

Negative money for enabling there to be so many more white people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"I've always thought," said Rainsford, "that the Cape buffalo is the most dangerous of all big game."

For a moment the general did not reply; he was smiling his curious red-lipped smile. Then he said slowly, "No. You are wrong, sir. The Cape buffalo is not the most dangerous big game." He sipped his wine. "Here in my preserve on this island," he said in the same slow tone, "I hunt more dangerous game."

Rainsford expressed his surprise. "Is there big game on this island?"

The general nodded. "The biggest."

"Really?"

"Oh, it isn't here naturally, of course. I have to stock the island."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cede Alaska to Putin.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Norman Borlaug, Issac Newton, Albert Einstein, George Washington Carver, Nikola Tesla, Alan Turing. :colbert:

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 16, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Winner is Jew posted:

Norman Borlaug, Issac Newton, Albert Einstein, George Washington Carver, Nikola Tesla, Alan Turing. :colbert:

Giving unlimited money to Tesla might not be the greatest idea.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DeadmansReach posted:

Why do so many people seem to take for granted the idea that raising minimum wage will have the same effect as inflation, or cause inflation? More money isn't being printed, simply distributed differently.

To be fair, the distribution is what matters. We've "printed" trillions over the past few years and it hasn't lead to inflation because it's not getting spent. Shifting that money into the actual economy could cause a bit of inflation, but we're so far away from that point that raising the minimum wage to at least the purchasing power it had in the 60s is a no brainer.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Joementum posted:

"I've always thought," said Rainsford, "that the Cape buffalo is the most dangerous of all big game."

For a moment the general did not reply; he was smiling his curious red-lipped smile. Then he said slowly, "No. You are wrong, sir. The Cape buffalo is not the most dangerous big game." He sipped his wine. "Here in my preserve on this island," he said in the same slow tone, "I hunt more dangerous game."

"Really?"

:lol: You are a treasure Joementum.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Venom Snake posted:

Giving unlimited money to Tesla might be the greatest idea.

:getin:

Death Rays for everybody

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

Cede Alaska to Putin.

gently caress you, Alaska is a treasure.

Forcibly remove every Republican and Libertarian from Alaska and return it to the Alaska Natives :getin:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Giving unlimited money to Tesla might not be the greatest idea.

Edison might have been a dick, but his dickishness in screwing over Tesla may have saved us all from a dark C&C future.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Venom Snake posted:

Is this like the mirror of the Freepers who constantly complain about RINO's but vote straight ticket Republican every election? There will never be a party that has all your beliefs included, the best you can ever hope for in a 2 party system is a close match.

In a two party system you can't even really hope for a close match unless you're a moderate or a crazed conservative. You can just pick which is the least bad. The democrats aren't particularly liberal economically and not wildly so socially either, it's just that the republicans are cartoonishly draconian in the opposite direction and have been headed farther right for the past few decades. In any large election I just pull the D lever and frown. At least in some local elections you can reasonably vote 3rd party.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karnegal posted:

In a two party system you can't even really hope for a close match unless you're a moderate or a crazed conservative. You can just pick which is the least bad. The democrats aren't particularly liberal economically and not wildly so socially either, it's just that the republicans are cartoonishly draconian in the opposite direction and have been headed farther right for the past few decades. In any large election I just pull the D lever and frown. At least in some local elections you can reasonably vote 3rd party.

So the answer is yes, then.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

"Really?"

Maaaaaan, gently caress don young

But lmao at this post

Also please don't cede us away kthx

site fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 16, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Amergin posted:

If you cut people's salaries there will be pain, but if you simply resist the temptation to throw money at the problem and instead focus on getting people trained for actual work and discourage useless majors for massive debt, you're working to solve the problem in the long run without imposing short term pain.

Are you implying that a minimum wage is necessary? How awfully... liberal of you, Amergin.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

"Really?"

"And what is the most dangerous game?"

"MAN!"

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
WikiLeaks republishes all documents from Sony hacking scandal:

quote:

WikiLeaks has republished the Sony data from last year’s hacking scandal, making all the documents and emails “fully searchable” with a Google-style search engine.
Sony accused WikiLeaks of contributing to the damage done by the data theft, which it condemned as “a malicious criminal act.”
WikiLeaks said the stolen files shed light on cooperation between government agencies and entertainers.
It was a pain in the rear end to look through before. Might be interesting to take another peek at it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He made it all by himself with no help from mommy. :bravo:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

A Winner is Jew posted:

Norman Borlaug

This is a pro opinion, Winner is Jew.

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat
SECRECY SHROUDS DECADE-OLD OIL SPILL IN GULF OF MEXICO

quote:

He began tracking the Taylor spill, eventually estimating its size at between 300,000 and 1.4 million gallons.

The government, based on company-generated pollution reports, has given much smaller leak estimates for Taylor, from an average of 22 gallons per day in 2008 down to an average of 12 gallons per day over roughly the next five years. In a recent court filing, Taylor said experts concluded in March 2014 that the sheens contained an average volume of less than 4 gallons per day.

But AP's review of more than 2,300 pollution reports since 2008 found they didn't match official accounts of a diminishing leak. In fact, the reports show a dramatic spike in sheen sizes and oil volumes since Sept. 1, 2014. That came just after federal regulators held a workshop to improve the accuracy of Taylor's slick estimates and started sending government observers on the contractor's daily flights over the site.

From April 2008 through August 2014, the average sheen size reported to the Coast Guard was 2 square miles with an average volume of 11 gallons of oil, according to AP's analysis. Since then, the daily average sheen size ballooned to 8 square miles with an average volume of 91 gallons.

When confronted by AP with evidence of the spike, the Coast Guard attributed it to an improved method for estimating the slicks from the air - with the clear implication that far more oil had been spilling for years than had been reported.

After initially providing AP with an outdated, lower estimate, the Coast Guard then disclosed a new estimate - that approximately 16,000 gallons of oil have been spotted in slicks over the past seven months. That is roughly six times higher than its 2013 estimate, of about 4,500 gallons a year, and 20 times higher than the figure cited by Taylor in a Feb. 19 court filing.

The company hasn't disclosed the much larger leak estimate in any publicly accessible court filings.

In many reports over the years, there are glaring inconsistencies between the estimated size of the sheen and the corresponding volume calculation. One example: The longest sheen reported was 1,170 square miles in October 2009, but the report estimated the slick contained only 1.58 gallons of oil. Even if this slick covered just 1 percent of the stated area, a simple calculation shows it would be stretched to seven billionths of an inch thick - far too thin for the eye to see. Hundreds of other reports are similarly questionable.

While Taylor insists it has acted "responsibly" throughout its spill response, the pattern of dubious pollution reports makes it difficult to assess the company's reports of progress in controlling the leak.

The response to Taylor's leak also reinforces how the government, lacking the industry's expertise and resources, often must rely on companies and their contractors to assess and contain offshore spills. A presidential commission that investigated BP's spill identified that as a weakness.

quote:

A year ago, federal officials convened a workshop on the leak. Months later, the company presented regulators its proposal for a final resolution at the site. That plan remains confidential, but Taylor Energy President William Pecue has said experts and government officials agree that the "best course of action ... is to not take any affirmative action" due to the possible risks of additional drilling.

Taylor had to share confidential records with the Waterkeeper Alliance, a New York City-based environmental group that sued the company in 2012 over its secrecy. But the company has aggressively worked to keep them from the public, stamping thousands of pages of documents as confidential and heavily redacting its president's deposition.

A report related to the March 2014 workshop is under seal, with the company arguing in a court filing that releasing it would undermine the government's decision-making process. And a court order prohibits the Waterkeeper Alliance from disseminating any of the confidential records.

During his deposition for the lawsuit, Pecue said the company developed innovations of "huge value" to another company in a similar situation.

11 loving years. The company responsible has already sold all their oil wells and decided the safest course of action is inaction.
A lawsuit over secrecy leads to less information being publicly available. Is there anything that can be done by a regular person to stop the oil that's going into the Gulf of Mexico?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The wage system is completely broken in America.

You need a mandated reporting system for jobs that accounts for salaried / full-time / part-time which also simplifies the tax code.

IE a CEO would be a AAA job where they are salaried (may or may not be there 40+ hrs a week) with a max wage of 2 million (taxed at Z%)

A part time janitor would be a C job where you get say 15 hrs a week but the internet facilitates getting 3 of these jobs and working out the schedule. A person doing this work (Three C jobs) is guaranteed a living wage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Venom Snake posted:

Even in a parliamentary system you end up with a couple big parties dominating and the "ideal" party ends up having to compromise their ideals anyway.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

McDowell posted:

A part time janitor would be a C job where you get say 15 hrs a week but the internet facilitates getting 3 of these jobs and working out the schedule. A person doing this work (Three C jobs) is guaranteed a living wage.

I would rather blow my brains out than work 45 hour weeks at three different places. You must have a better idea, surely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Transferrins posted:

SECRECY SHROUDS DECADE-OLD OIL SPILL IN GULF OF MEXICO

11 loving years. The company responsible has already sold all their oil wells and decided the safest course of action is inaction.
A lawsuit over secrecy leads to less information being publicly available. Is there anything that can be done by a regular person to stop the oil that's going into the Gulf of Mexico?

The safest course of action probably is inaction; anything else risks making things even worse. This isn't like a ship thats leaking oil.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

You know the mention of cats and trains make me suddenly think Ayn Rand would have worked out really well as a goon.

Amergin posted:

If you cut people's salaries there will be pain, but if you simply resist the temptation to throw money at the problem and instead focus on getting people trained for actual work and discourage useless majors for massive debt, you're working to solve the problem in the long run without imposing short term pain.

So then you want us to raise taxes to pay for the training, I like your ideas.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 17, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

You know the mention of cats and trains make me suddenly think Ayn Rand would have worked out really well as a goon.

She didn't shower often either.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

How are u posted:

gently caress you, Alaska is a treasure.

:agreed:

A lot of people don't seem to realize that public spending is a huge boon to private business. But I suppose people don't actually give a poo poo about business as a whole, they just say that so they don't look selfish for wanting their taxes personally to go down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grapplejack posted:

I would rather blow my brains out than work 45 hour weeks at three different places. You must have a better idea, surely.

Do you mean 45 hours each at 3 different jobs or 3 different jobs for a total of 45 hours? Because the former is likely physically impossible but the latter is something many people do.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Do you mean 45 hours each at 3 different jobs or 3 different jobs for a total of 45 hours? Because the former is likely physically impossible but the latter is something many people do.

With what McDowell said it would be the latter; I can't imagine anyone having to put up with that, let alone trying to make that "the new normal".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grapplejack posted:

With what McDowell said it would be the latter; I can't imagine anyone having to put up with that, let alone trying to make that "the new normal".

A lot of people (especially immigrants) have to do that in the service industry.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

a shameful boehner posted:

You probably couldn’t do it. If you could, you would, I guarantee it. So they make more than you because their job is about a million times more stressful and more important and more complicated and more consequential. They have thousands of people, including you, relying on them.

From forever ago, but I literally have thousands of lives under my control at any given moment when I'm working. My job is generally on every single "Top 5 Most Stressful Jobs" list, it's often complicated, and has pretty bad consequences if I gently caress up. I get paid pretty drat well, but where's my loving CEO money? Give it to me now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fknlo posted:

From forever ago, but I literally have thousands of lives under my control at any given moment when I'm working. My job is generally on every single "Top 5 Most Stressful Jobs" list, it's often complicated, and has pretty bad consequences if I gently caress up. I get paid pretty drat well, but where's my loving CEO money? Give it to me now.

Firefighter, military personnel or airline pilot?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I'm guessing air traffic controller

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm guessing air traffic controller

Hey why don't they organize and demand higher pay. Oh right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Amergin posted:

What happens when a useless major becomes something crucially important because of changing world circumstances?

• Locked thread