Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope they *do* mean Metamucil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Can you imagine Michael Strahan hocking cans of Armus, wearing the season one jumpsuit and being scared of donuts while Tasha dies in the background?

I can. And it is glorrrrious :gowron:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

If you have to write an origin for the borg, that's pretty lame. The borg should really just be what a starfleet like society evolves into. Like, maybe if Starfleet actually used all the new technology they invent every week they would already have tubes in the faces that keep them from EVER GETTING SICK and when they died their brain was just backed up in a computer. When you have facebook and reddit on a direct neural link, how long before you have a hive mind? How many centuries of exploring the galaxy and learning from everything you encounter before you are just drones in constant social contact and your ship is just flying around doing the most efficient thing. At first you encounter races that don't want to benefit from all your knowledge and technology, and you leave them along, but eventually the policies of your civilization change. You are the uplifters, ascending the boring bipeds towards the singularity. So you start assimilating people against their will because they don't know what they are missing. They don't complain once they're plugged in, and now they are helping with the ultimate quest for completely documenting the entire universe in wikipedia. Your entire race is as smart as the smartest being that you have ever encountered. Good and evil and philosophical problems no longer exist for you, because you are enlightened beyond any recognition. Why should the universe be home to so many redundant failures when it can all be part of one giant success?

Eddington Was Right!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Borg Collective did nothing wrong.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Data Graham posted:

I hope you mean mucilage, not Metamucil :laugh:

I distinctly remember Frakes saying Metamucil (I want to say it was one of those TV specials about Trek things) but maybe he meant mucilage?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Eddington Was Right!

no, he's actually a complete dipshit

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
He definitely said Metamucil, the interview was used for a DVD extra.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Grand Fromage posted:

They should've blown a cast member out an airlock every episode of Voyager, it would've improved the show immensely

The episode I watched recently, "Projections," was such a tease. It begins with The Doctor alone in sick bay, with seemingly no one on the ship. The part of my brain that is blissfully unaware of how unimaginative Voyager is was hoping that it would be an episode about the ship just drifting through space, the whole crew dead, with just the poor Doctor to contemplate it and solve problems from sick bay. If everyone were airlocked, that would leave the best character, alone on the ship. Is there such a thing as hologram madness? We sure would find out! That is, before some convinient time travel plot device reset everything at the end of the episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snak posted:

I like in Generations when "Full Spread" apparently means one torpedo.

edit: That may actually be an ep of tng...

Maybe "full spread" has become jargon for holding down the "Charge it up!" button until you have a FULL SPREAD!!! bonus. Otherwise, the photon torpedo only has a percentage of its total power!

That one torpedo was absolutely bristling with energy!

!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Maybe "full spread" has become jargon for holding down the "Charge it up!" button until you have a FULL SPREAD!!! bonus. Otherwise, the photon torpedo only has a percentage of its total power!

That one torpedo was absolutely bristling with energy!

!

poo poo, we can do that with our crappy caveman thermonuclear weapons now. Imagine what their magic can do!

Yeah we have to set it, probably with a screwdriver or something, when its loaded onto the plane or into the missile tube, but there's no reason it couldn't be done remotely with a button that you hold down in the cockpit or CIC.

I like to pretend its a big knob like on an oven and its right next to the LCD clock that tells you how long until it detonates (because why would movies make that part up!).

Sash! fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 16, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I think the official explanation for a spread of torpedoes is that they're all fired at the same time and (usually) that they're going to the same place so their emitted light blends together and it looks like one torpedo.

Sash! posted:

poo poo, we can do that with our crappy caveman thermonuclear weapons now. Imagine what their magic can do!

Yeah we have to set it, probably with a screwdriver or something, when its loaded onto the plane or into the missile tube, but there's no reason it couldn't be done remotely with a button that you hold down in the cockpit or CIC.

I like to pretend its a big knob like on an oven and its right next to the LCD clock that tells you how long until it detonates (because why would movies make that part up!).

Even better, "Turn past 30 then set desired yield"

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't agree with Skin of Evil being worse than Code of Honor though, Skin of Evil is bad but at least the funeral scene is good,

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Snak posted:

scene of geordie shaving with his visor off.

This sounds amazing. I'm so glad I started gathering the blu ray seasons, so I can finally sit down and watch all of TNG instead of just picking ones that sound interesting.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Speaking of picking ones that sound interesting, out of nowhere the other day I watched Death Wish and really enjoyed it. Q being there helped a lot but I'm interested if anyone knows where I can find a list of "the best of Voyager" or at the very least a list of the absolute poo poo to avoid. I already know the exceptionally awful ones like Threshold and The Thaw but I'm hoping for something more comprehensive.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The one where the doctor goes to the planet where time is different
Dragon's Teeth
The one where that actor you know from a lot of stuff has a time ship and is awesome but never says bitches leave at any point and you feel oddly disappointed by this
The one where Seven tells us about a way better show involving conspiracy theories that would make Dale Gribble question the validity of what she described
The one where the doctor is an exhibit in a genocide museum
The one where it turns out Voyager is actually a clone Voyager and then something hilarious happens ha they all died in vain and no on even know they existed!
All the bad ones so you know what people are talking about when they talk about bad voyager episodes like any time the Borg Queen shows up and goes :doom: JANEWAY! :doom:

Or when holo da vinci gets...kidnapped? Or something? What the hell was going on in that episode?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of picking ones that sound interesting, out of nowhere the other day I watched Death Wish and really enjoyed it. Q being there helped a lot but I'm interested if anyone knows where I can find a list of "the best of Voyager" or at the very least a list of the absolute poo poo to avoid. I already know the exceptionally awful ones like Threshold and The Thaw but I'm hoping for something more comprehensive.

I thought The Thaw was a great episode. :shrug:

A short list of good stuff:

Year of Hell
Scorpion
Dark Frontier
Message In A Bottle
Relativity
Equinox
Blink Of An Eye
The Void
Living Witness
Timeless
Bride of Chaotica

Basically anything where the Doctor, Tuvok, or Seven plays a prominent role. Seven is overused to be sure, but those three are consistently well-written characters (most of the time for Seven) with good actors playing the parts.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

oh yeah Equinox - or - What Would Happen to Actual People in This Situation

The bad guy is named Ransom. That's so you know he's evil.

Still really good though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cythereal posted:

Basically anything where the Doctor, Tuvok, or Seven

I misread Tuvok as Turok, and now I have a way cooler version of Distant Origin in mind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

no, he's actually a complete dipshit
I like to think that Eddington's theory is a persistent minor theme in the human populations of the Federation, because it's what their own cultural background tells them this kind of thing leads to. And if the Federation was only humans they might be right, but the input from other founding/key aliens keeps the mix messed up in ways not instantly obvious to Johnny Hew-Mon. Vulcan IDIC and all that.

So it's sort of like the religious people who reveal more about themselves than about humanity when they say, "If not for the teachings of my faith, we'd all just rape and murder each other without consequence! Or have gay sex!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just watched Voy's The Chute, and whilst the episode itself was pretty good, it seems we're really starting to get to "Janeway's actions make little to no sense" territory.

She is either oblivious to or doesn't care about the real nature of the Akritirians, is told Voyager is being impounded in a system she already knows to be short on either justice or appeals, and then is deeply shocked when they're like "lol we already convicted your guys, what do we care if you've got the real culprits?" Like, has she met any dictatorship or repressive regime even once? (The show could also have focused on her gradual realization that hang on, these guys are fuckers and the proper channels won't get her anywhere, but that wasn't the route taken.) Then instead of doing what ANY other Trek captain (or sane person) would have done and helped the resistance she demands information from them. They try to bargain for help getting their people out alongside Tom and Harry and she just says "nope gently caress you guys I'm throwing you and your 14 year old sister to the mercies of the authorities if you don't tell me exactly what I want to know".

It could have worked as a demonstration of how far she'd go to get her people back, except there's a more attractive and evidently less loving evil alternative that would yield the same results. The Akritirians are space-faring and developed enough for interstellar commerce, and Voyager is already involved, so the Prime Directive doesn't really apply at all. But even if it did, they violated it the moment they started tracking down every ship that used paralithium fuel, and they're clearly going to make an enemy of the Akritirian government by freeing Tom and Harry regardless of what else they might or might not do.

Basically when first talking with the ambassador Janeway should have said "Starting in one hour, every hour you fail to release my people, I wipe out a city of yours from orbit."

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Snak posted:

If you have to write an origin for the borg, that's pretty lame. The borg should really just be what a starfleet like society evolves into. Like, maybe if Starfleet actually used all the new technology they invent every week they would already have tubes in the faces that keep them from EVER GETTING SICK and when they died their brain was just backed up in a computer. When you have facebook and reddit on a direct neural link, how long before you have a hive mind? How many centuries of exploring the galaxy and learning from everything you encounter before you are just drones in constant social contact and your ship is just flying around doing the most efficient thing. At first you encounter races that don't want to benefit from all your knowledge and technology, and you leave them along, but eventually the policies of your civilization change. You are the uplifters, ascending the boring bipeds towards the singularity. So you start assimilating people against their will because they don't know what they are missing. They don't complain once they're plugged in, and now they are helping with the ultimate quest for completely documenting the entire universe in wikipedia. Your entire race is as smart as the smartest being that you have ever encountered. Good and evil and philosophical problems no longer exist for you, because you are enlightened beyond any recognition. Why should the universe be home to so many redundant failures when it can all be part of one giant success?
There was a DS9 book (one of the Section 31 ones, I believe) where Bashir was pondering out some potential military threats to the Federation, and was ruminating on why the Borg were so interested in the Federation. His opinion was that, to the Borg, the Federation represented something that they used to be a very long time ago, and that if the Federation survived and thrived, it would mean that whatever decision the Borg made that led them to become the Borg was the wrong one. He also felt that, on some level, the Borg genuinely hated the Federation because of this.

@Nessus: I like that line of reasoning a lot.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's no drat reason you need an origin story for the borg anyways, they're a race or group of races that eventually got so cybered up that they ended up as one single mind comprised of trillions of other minds all glued together and then decided that everyone else in the galaxy should join them, the specifics don't really matter.

Also The Borg Queen is still the dumbest thing they ever did, I get that they wanted a face for the enemy in their dumb die hard star trek movie but come on if you want a face then don't use the borg.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I always figured the Borg started off as an interconnected communication network through cybernetic implants, letting people share thoughts and ideas directly from brain to brain, perhaps in a civilian or a military capacity. It's just a skip and a hop from there to a hive mind of some description or a distributed intelligence.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It would be nice if they'd come up with like one positive thing about the collective but apparently being plugged in is just being soul-raped for no reason.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Arglebargle III posted:

It would be nice if they'd come up with like one positive thing about the collective but apparently being plugged in is just being soul-raped for no reason.

Being part of a cybernetic collective of trillions of souls is the positive thing about the collective!

e; Also much as I love First Contact yeah the Borg Queen didn't really fit. A large part of their success as villains was down to them being genuinely pretty different from anything else we've met, and not having leaders or ambassadors or anything like that. Plus the stuff with her and Data seemed kind of unnecessary.

One thing that bugged me, I think it was in Best of Both Worlds, was when Picard was trying to buy time and he said to the Borg "Okay we surrender but give us a bit." and the Borg say "Nope." Thing is, the Borg didn't give the impression of not being fooled, they gave the impression that the delay was unacceptable in almost an ideological sense. I've always have felt Picard should have said something like "We need time to deactivate the planetary defense grid and stand down the fleet, as well as preparing the citizenry. I know you can beat us in a fight, but if you are willing to wait a short while, you will not need to fight and the Collective will be stronger and have more resources." I don't know that it would have worked and I know I'm not remembering everything exactly, but it's always rankled a little.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 17, 2015

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

If you wanna read some poo poo about hive minds check out the Jean le Flambeur trilogy. It'll blow your goddamn mind.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Between Facebook and Reddit we've already turned in to a loving collective hivemind.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mister Adequate posted:

Being part of a cybernetic collective of trillions of souls is the positive thing about the collective!

Doesn't sound so positive to me

Signed,

A person that likes keeping things to himself

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

Well I think that would have been fine if they didn't introduce the borg queen and make all the rest of the borg look like stupid subservient assholes. Like I'm sure the collective is pretty happy to exist and do their thing that they do, and the people who were assimilated at birth and were never individuals in the first place probably liked it just fine, it's just people like Picard who were individuals before who don't like it. IIRC Hugh didn't even know what individuality was until he got cut off and Geordi+friends taught him about how cool it is to be alone, and even then I don't think he was motivated to stay individual by fear of re-assimilation , he just wanted to keep hanging out with his new friends.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dietrich posted:

If you wanna read some poo poo about hive minds check out the Jean le Flambeur trilogy. It'll blow your goddamn mind.

I feel about Finns the way the Borg feel about Kazons. :colbert: (thanks for the recommendation!)

Sash! posted:

Signed,

See this sort of silliness is why things have to be done by force.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sash! posted:

Signed,

Hey ain't nobody gonna judge you in the collective, man. None of your thoughts or feelings or insecurities or fears are relevant now, cause we literally all have the same feelings about everything! We understand your exact reasoning behind everything you think and feel and we agree with what you think about everything, on account of you agree with us, cause we're all one mind!

Sounds alright.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Picard didn't make it sound very fun :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dietrich posted:

I picked up The Quantum Thief a few weeks ago based on the cover blurb from one of my favourite authors saying basically "this guy writes this stuff better than I do"

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm in the middle of reading FADE IN, Michael Piller's book on Insurrection and I just got to the part about test audiences and how their complaints about the conflict between the DS9 characters shaping how Voyager turned out.

"...there were to be no serious conflicts because that's what the fans wanted."

:negative:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sash! posted:

Picard didn't make it sound very fun :colbert:

He didn't give it enough time is all, it takes more than a few hours to open your heart to the collective. Dude was an individual for decades, he never gave them a fair chance!

Mister Adequate posted:

One thing that bugged me, I think it was in Best of Both Worlds, was when Picard was trying to buy time and he said to the Borg "Okay we surrender but give us a bit." and the Borg say "Nope." Thing is, the Borg didn't give the impression of not being fooled, they gave the impression that the delay was unacceptable in almost an ideological sense. I've always have felt Picard should have said something like "We need time to deactivate the planetary defense grid and stand down the fleet, as well as preparing the citizenry. I know you can beat us in a fight, but if you are willing to wait a short while, you will not need to fight and the Collective will be stronger and have more resources." I don't know that it would have worked and I know I'm not remembering everything exactly, but it's always rankled a little.

That was Riker, and he offered to meet Locutus to discuss surrender. Locutus told him that no negotiations were necessary and to disarm immediately and escort them to Earth. Then he said "we need time to prepare for assimilation", and Locutus didn't fall for it because he knew everything Picard knew. Picard's only dialogue with the Borg in BoBW pt 1 is something along the lines of "Picard we know you don't got the tech to defend against us, surrender now" "No you guys we've got new defenses since the last time".

I've been rewatching TNG lately so this is all fresh to me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

Well I think that would have been fine if they didn't introduce the borg queen and make all the rest of the borg look like stupid subservient assholes. Like I'm sure the collective is pretty happy to exist and do their thing that they do, and the people who were assimilated at birth and were never individuals in the first place probably liked it just fine, it's just people like Picard who were individuals before who don't like it. IIRC Hugh didn't even know what individuality was until he got cut off and Geordi+friends taught him about how cool it is to be alone, and even then I don't think he was motivated to stay individual by fear of re-assimilation , he just wanted to keep hanging out with his new friends.

Also they're directly linked to the ship. All that crazy stuff Barclay was talking about when his brain was hooked up to the Enterprise computer, that would be a borg drone's everyday life. There was never a drone who they disconnected and was like "gently caress this sucks! I can't feel subspace or see x-rays or know my purpose in life anymore send me back to being the lateral tertiary sensor node for cube 3944!"

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Someone tell me I'm not the only person who loves this ridiculous action roll.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

8one6 posted:

I'm in the middle of reading FADE IN, Michael Piller's book on Insurrection and I just got to the part about test audiences and how their complaints about the conflict between the DS9 characters shaping how Voyager turned out.

It hurts because it's true. :cripes:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ChairMaster posted:

Someone tell me I'm not the only person who loves this ridiculous action roll.

I used to do this every time I would close my garage door. I say used to because I have since replaced the opener with one that has one of those motion detector deals that totally ruined all my fun.

Sash! posted:

The one where it turns out Voyager is actually a clone Voyager and then something hilarious happens ha they all died in vain and no on even know they existed!

I did think it was pretty cool that they were smart enough to construct a probe/buoy/whatever the message thing was made completely out of 3rd party non-demon planet material. Sure it gets hosed up and destroyed but I definitely give them points for trying.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

8one6 posted:

To be fair, were there genuine, serious conflicts between the TOS crew? That was probably a baseline for a lot of the fans. I'm not saying DS9 doesn't loving own, obviously.

• Locked thread