Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

NTRabbit posted:

Some of the American battleships are incorrectly named like that as well in an earlier diary

Sounds like quality work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So where does one go to get some legit usage mods for WoWs ? The one contour icon mod I use currently is out of date (missing the pre-order ships), and I got it from this thread so I don't know where else to go looking. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Magni posted:

So, people losing lots of turrets lately actually had a reason - they snuck in the turret barbettes as part of the hitbox into the latest version.

And accidentally set their armor to 0.

Oops. :downs:

That certainly explains a lot about my first battleship duel last night. I lost so many loving turrets in that fight.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

gwrtheyrn posted:

They also list it as the zuikaku when it's apparently the shokaku class?

The Tenryu class is misnamed in game already, so it's not out of the ordinary. It's wargaming after all.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ships are oddly named all over the place.

In the tech tree, USS Lexington is the next tier up from Ranger, while in real life the first one preceded Ranger while the second was an Essex class. So ??? as to its placement. Yorktown, or Enterprise if they're not sticking to name ships, would fit there a lot better.

Like the IJN carrier tree is completely missing Akagi and Kaga, both of which were unique, rather well known carriers. As for Zuikaku rather than Shokaku, maybe they just wanted you playing as the one known as the lucky ship, rather than the unlucky ship?:confused:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lord Koth posted:

Ships are oddly named all over the place.

In the tech tree, USS Lexington is the next tier up from Ranger, while in real life the first one preceded Ranger while the second was an Essex class. So ??? as to its placement. Yorktown, or Enterprise if they're not sticking to name ships, would fit there a lot better.

Like the IJN carrier tree is completely missing Akagi and Kaga, both of which were unique, rather well known carriers. As for Zuikaku rather than Shokaku, maybe they just wanted you playing as the one known as the lucky ship, rather than the unlucky ship?:confused:

Lexington was a considerably bigger and better carrier than Ranger so it's higher tier.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Also the Ranger was a piece of crap and even the Navy knew this back in the day which is why it was regulated to the Atlantic. Tiering is pretty much based on effectiveness rather than commission dates.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So is there an official site/topic on the NA versions for all the updates of the aim mod? I am hearing the current version is broke with a patch

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So is the Atlanta worth the Lowe-like price in gold?

I've currently got the Iwaki Alpha, the three pre-order ships, and the Murmansk. I've been leisurely grinding them alone so I can actually start grinding the *actual* line of ships at Service Level 6. I've also heard conflicting reports on what is and isn't getting wiped when the game goes OBT.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 17, 2015

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So is the Atlanta worth the Lowe-like price in gold?

I've currently got the Iwaki Alpha, the three pre-order ships, and the Murmansk. I've been leisurely grinding them alone so I can actually start grinding the *actual* line of ships at Service Level 6. I've also heard conflicting reports on what is and isn't getting wiped when the game goes OBT.

They've straight up said when the game goes into open beta, everything is getting wiped and you get all your gold and premium back. It's why you don't actually have "gold" in your account right now, you've got the cardboard equivalent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zaodai posted:

They've straight up said when the game goes into open beta, everything is getting wiped and you get all your gold and premium back. It's why you don't actually have "gold" in your account right now, you've got the cardboard equivalent.

Got it - so there's not even any reason to get to Service Level 6 in a hurry.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
How about free xp?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

It amazes me on New Dawn how many teams will let you run up through A and kill their carriers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Got it - so there's not even any reason to get to Service Level 6 in a hurry.

In a hurry? No. But it doesn't take very long as it is. You'll get it fairly quickly just from playing the game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Umikaze, chariot of the motherfuckin' gods!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I got in a gun duel at about 8km range with a Kawachi (sp? T3 Battleship) in my St. Louis. 177 hits later.. I had 4k health left and he was swimming with the fishies. :smug:

I think he ate a couple torpedoes that helped him along, but I was still pretty amazed to come out of that alive.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Having played eve for some time, I figured I had seen the worst of the worst when it came to stupid pubbie catchphrases. And then there was poi.

The Locator posted:

I got in a gun duel at about 8km range with a Kawachi (sp? T3 Battleship) in my St. Louis. 177 hits later.. I had 4k health left and he was swimming with the fishies. :smug:

I think he ate a couple torpedoes that helped him along, but I was still pretty amazed to come out of that alive.
The Kawachi has really poo poo range and you were right at the edge. Great range to have that fight.

Wolfy fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 17, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Wolfy posted:

The Kawachi has really poo poo range and you were right at the edge. Great range to have that fight.

Plus the guns are inaccurate as poo poo. There were times I was amazed that the loving shots went in the same general direction.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I just got the New Orleans and so far have only played two matches in it but so far my initial impression is favourable. Getting your armour back is so nice and even though you still obviously don't want to expose your side flat to the enemy because you still won't be bouncing shots from anything bigger than a DD at tier 8 it gives you far more leeway in your manuevering compared to the Pensacola's "well I just got shot randomly then my magazine exploded first thing". Seriously I'm pretty sure I've had my Pensacola's magazine detonated more times than every other ship combined (full disclosure: I have not played Japanese cruisers yet). Felt like I was driving a WoT CBT T-44 around with how sensitive those magazines are. Also it's a real good looking ship, which is probably the most important of all features.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Welp, got my first Yamato kill finally. :woop:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

After watching those replays by Rossmum I don't know what the gently caress any more. In close range brawls I shoot AP and aim at the waterline of the flush sides of the enemy between their turret mounts, but I seem unable to get any citadel penetrations. Is there great armor differences between tiers? Is there One Weird Trick Discovered By An Ozzie, the IJN Hates Him? What am I likely to be doing wrong?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

New World of Warships dev diary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_MlKKvvkhE

Focus on the jap tech tree.

Best part in there, one of the devs is talking tactics and lets slip the line "The Japanese are experts at surprise attacks"

You don't say :allears:

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Came into this thinking I would like the BB lines, but drat torpedo destroyers are fun as poo poo. The Umikaze is just a torpedo spitting fast pain in the rear end, I love it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So I tried some DDs.

This is actually really fun. :allears:
Also, torped myself a Wehraboo - he was at about 3k health remaining afterwards and got wrecked shortly.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Plus the guns are inaccurate as poo poo. There were times I was amazed that the loving shots went in the same general direction.

I kept the Kawachi just long enough to unlock the next BB, because yea, it's total poo poo on both range and accuracy. The next one isn't much better on range, but at least it has somewhat better accuracy and seems to survive a lot better, although last night I took a single salvo (from something, a Fuso maybe?) that ripped away over 30k health from several thousand meters outside of my gun range.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

pun pundit posted:

After watching those replays by Rossmum I don't know what the gently caress any more. In close range brawls I shoot AP and aim at the waterline of the flush sides of the enemy between their turret mounts, but I seem unable to get any citadel penetrations. Is there great armor differences between tiers? Is there One Weird Trick Discovered By An Ozzie, the IJN Hates Him? What am I likely to be doing wrong?

If you're too close, you won't get citadel hits. There is an optimum range for every gun to get citadel hits. Some ships have more lenient hitboxes, but citadels are usually located on or below the waterline, and you need your ships to have a little bit of angle to hit them.

From max range, your shells can drop vertically onto the deck armor, which can lead to penetrations. From far, they are going to hit the citadel armour as 45* which is bad for you. From medium range, shells will hit the citadel belt armour, likely penetrating. From close range, shells are mostly going to skip across the top of the citadel box and hit something else.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

First chance I've had to play in 2 weeks, take my Aoba out, Cleveland comes around the corner the other away and permanently destroys B turret with the first salvo. Second salvo permanently destroys A turret. It killed me with citadels before I could turn the hull and Y turret around to aim at it.

Well done wargaming.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

First chance I've had to play in 2 weeks, take my Aoba out, Cleveland comes around the corner the other away and permanently destroys B turret with the first salvo. Second salvo permanently destroys A turret. It killed me with citadels before I could turn the hull and Y turret around to aim at it.

Well done wargaming.

This loving turret armour bug sucks, I have had 2 Cleveland games where I lost all my turrets.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Burt posted:

This loving turret armour bug sucks, I have had 2 Cleveland games where I lost all my turrets.

Apart from that, the Ice map is riddled with invisible icebergs, right in the center of the map. What are they even doing?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Apart from that, the Ice map is riddled with invisible icebergs, right in the center of the map. What are they even doing?

They're in place for the inevitable Titanic premium ship.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Yeah there is nothing like zooming round a corner, firing off a salvo and watching all your shells explode 200m in front of you as they hit the invisible iceberg.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Bought the Atlanta. It's the scourge of destroyers but cannot take a hit. BBs will one shot you. I splurged out and got the tier 4 upgrade to get to top speed faster as if you do a tight turn you bleed off so much speed it's unreal. Makes a wee bit of difference in full on hard turns but it's really noticeable when you straighten up, you get back to flank speed a lot faster.

Forget the torps but my goodness does this thing poo poo out damage with the guns, and they turn 180 in like 5 seconds which makes throwing the thing about an absolute joy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Burt posted:

Yeah there is nothing like zooming round a corner, firing off a salvo and watching all your shells explode 200m in front of you as they hit the invisible iceberg.
Does this mean any of the visible ice bergs are in fact fake and you can sail and shoot through them?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So what exactly IS a citadel that you hit and do a ton of damage to.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I dont understand the torpedo meta. I havent had success with long rang torpedo runs, anything above 6k gets dodged, my 10k torps never hit anything even the narrow spread. Japanese DD's seen gimped what with their dependence on torps and lacking of guns. Meanwhile In my Nicholas is doing fine and is very dynamic, my Jap DD's feel like Im counting on 1 minute hit and run barrages that have very low odds.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hencoe posted:

The most important and dangerous parts of a ship to damage is its engine or powder storage. When ships get designed, these places get the most armour built around them, because any damage to them is liable to take the entire ship down. To conserve weight, these components get stuffed into a relatively small area in the center of the ship, and we just call the unit as a whole the citadel.

It's basically a little box just underneath the waterline that has the heaviest armour in the entire ship. On some ships, this box is too big, or too poorly armoured, and so citadel penetrations are really easy to get. On other ships, it's tough or hard to hit, and you'll never get the gigantic multiplier.

Speaking of citadels, the Myoko has good guns, but is a thousand times more fragile than the Mogami, which is not a tough ship to begin with.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 17, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hencoe posted:

It's a design philosophy of "All-or-Nothing" armor. The most vital areas, things like the ammo magazines and fuel tanks, are protected by a thick belt of armor. The rest is far less protected.

If you score a hit that goes into the "Citadel" it's going to hit something explosive and do a lot of damage.

For visualization, imagine a rectangular box that starts at the waterline and goes down a bit underneath, it stretched from the forward guns to the back ones.
If you hit at the waterline at a 45 degree angle downward, it's going to punch through the armor and hit the goodies.
If you hit the superstructure, it's going to take out a broom closet.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

There's some info in the OP as well.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gaj posted:

I dont understand the torpedo meta. I havent had success with long rang torpedo runs, anything above 6k gets dodged, my 10k torps never hit anything even the narrow spread. Japanese DD's seen gimped what with their dependence on torps and lacking of guns. Meanwhile In my Nicholas is doing fine and is very dynamic, my Jap DD's feel like Im counting on 1 minute hit and run barrages that have very low odds.

The idea is ultimately area denial and ambushes, or hitting a target that is fighting someone else. 10k torps fired out at the white indicator at max range are pretty easy to dodge, as they can do anything at all to juke them in that 10k. Firing them out at max range into a gap between islands or into some smoke may give the enemy no time to dodge them when they see them. Coming around the edge of a fight and pumping out torps into the enemy as they engage other assets of your fleet leaves them in a rock and a hard place scenario. If they juke your torps they've now had to break off their fight with the big guns of your team that are still shooting at them. If they don't juke the torps, you do massive damage. They may be so tunnel vision on their target that they don't see you steaming around the end and just unleashing torpedo hell on them. If you hit a cluster of guys or guys using islands for cover, they may simply have nowhere to go .

Torpedos don't run out, as far as I know, so if you can pick your spots, firing torps is often better than not firing torps even if you only hit with a small portion of them. Even 1 hitting is still very likely to cause flooding, and if they've already burned their repair kit because you're lighting them up with HE (or hit them with a torp from another spread), that's going to do serious damage.

Plus, it's just fun in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Also, there's nothing more funny than using HE to wreck another DDs engines and/or steering after he blew his repairs, followed by torpedoing his rear end.

I've gone up both DD lines to tier 5 today and I am having loads of fun so far. Also had a first: Pubbies listening to repeated minimap marking. Had a Kongo and two Kawachis go up the undefended flank on Fault Line standard battle after they killed one BB of ours there. Went over there with the freshly-aquired Minekaze to keep tabs on them and started a little guerilla war. By the time I sunk the second Kawachi, a friendly Kongo and torp bombers actually turned up to help bail my ~500hp rear end from a very irate enemy Kongo. I then killstole from them by finishing off the Kongo with guns. :v:

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 18, 2015