Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

that's a good strip that deserves to exist and it wouldn't work if philippe wasn't saying something incredibly offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

It's not even a phrase Onstad coined, it was someone's catch-phrase on Project Runway.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It's being said by a kid, I mean I'm not a tranny but it doesn't seem offensive to me. The fact that he doesn't understand how offensive it is is what makes it funny.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

As someone whom has never lived in or even been near the pacific northwest, how so??

Lots of rain and hobos.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Darth Windu posted:

It's being said by a kid, I mean I'm not a tranny but it doesn't seem offensive to me. The fact that he doesn't understand how offensive it is is what makes it funny.

No you don't understand. It's offensive therefore it's bad and Philippe is literally Hitler.

What I'm saying is erase Tumblr from this reality.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Laputanmachine posted:

No you don't understand. It's offensive therefore it's bad and Philippe is literally Hitler.
Nobody's making this argument except in your head.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Not here, no, but that kind of reasoning is behind Onstad just popping in and apologizing for basically no reason, "just in case", which is kind of lovely.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
I'm presuming he 'popped in' to say sorry because he wasn't previously aware of the extent of the offensiveness that the word he used in the comic had, which is what a decent person who doesn't actually want to perpetuate lovely attitudes via slurs does. Yes, the joke is that Phillipe is saying something he doesn't quite understand in a charmingly ham-fisted child kind of way, but the thing is that Onstad decided to use that phrasing initially, and then later realised it wasn't a terribly kind thing to have done unknowingly and wanted to apologise to anyone he offended in doing so. It's bizarre how frequently that's written off as kowtowing to crazy internet people when it's just a case of being considerate towards marginalised people.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

“This is my holy grail: an all-natural, all-American root beer, the way it would have been made by Thomas Jefferson”
That is such an Achewood line that I'm almost sure it's verbatim from a strip. He's turned into one of his own characters.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

The Sezza posted:

I'm presuming he 'popped in' to say sorry because he wasn't previously aware of the extent of the offensiveness that the word he used in the comic had, which is what a decent person who doesn't actually want to perpetuate lovely attitudes via slurs does. Yes, the joke is that Phillipe is saying something he doesn't quite understand in a charmingly ham-fisted child kind of way, but the thing is that Onstad decided to use that phrasing initially, and then later realised it wasn't a terribly kind thing to have done unknowingly and wanted to apologise to anyone he offended in doing so. It's bizarre how frequently that's written off as kowtowing to crazy internet people when it's just a case of being considerate towards marginalised people.

This post is such a big hot tranny mess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

That is such an Achewood line that I'm almost sure it's verbatim from a strip. He's turned into one of his own characters.
I do appreciate that his root beer is apparently being made by slaves.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Only on the Internet is apologizing for unknowingly using a slur seen as a personal defeat instead of simply not being an rear end in a top hat.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Only on the Internet is apologizing for unknowingly using a slur seen as a personal defeat instead of simply not being an rear end in a top hat.

Lots of Pats Reynolds on this page.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

This post is such a big hot tranny mess.

:ssh: I am a transexual person and I thought the strip was mildly amusing and relatively harmless, but people on this site are so obtuse that they literally need a protracted explanation of why being apologetic for a mistake is not some conspiracy cooked up by Big Tumblr.

If you have a problem, you may in fact be the guy saying "human being" the way old telegrams said STOP. Do you have a haircut? Are you pissing into an empty?

The Sezza fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 13, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Laputanmachine posted:

What I'm saying is erase Tumblr from this reality.

Pat! Wait! I have a date tonight! Can I borrow the hat?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Sezza posted:

If you have a problem, you may in fact be the guy saying "human being" the way old telegrams said STOP. Do you have a haircut? Are you pissing into an empty?

"Seven men pissing into empties, calling you human being. They cannot see you." is easily in my top five alt texts from the entire run. It's a very evocative image.

"My car parts on on my car, by the way."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tomorrow's recipe is chicken.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

The Sezza posted:

:ssh: I am a transexual person and I thought the strip was mildly amusing and relatively harmless, but people on this site are so obtuse that they literally need a protracted explanation of why being apologetic for a mistake is not some conspiracy cooked up by Big Tumblr.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's just talking about vehicle transmissions, people. Get a grip on yourselves.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Just realized Achewood has existed for over a decade yet we've never seen Ray's eyes. Onstad, if you're listening, I want to see Ray without glasses the next time you decide on a whim to make Achewood strips.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Leroy Dennui posted:

Just realized Achewood has existed for over a decade yet we've never seen Ray's eyes. Onstad, if you're listening, I want to see Ray without glasses the next time you decide on a whim to make Achewood strips.
ummmm

The Robert Johnson School of Ocular Shenanigans wants to have a word with you, Leroy Dennui.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Leroy Dennui posted:

he sold them

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

MMAgCh posted:

ummmm

The Robert Johnson School of Ocular Shenanigans wants to have a word with you, Leroy Dennui.

Oh man, completely forgot about this one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Sezza posted:

This is literally what he did, yes, you're on the money. He wasn't kowtowing to the skeletons or whatever, he was just trying not to be a dick because someone went "uh hey this is kinda not cool a little."

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

When is he finally going to apologize for all of the anti-barber filth he's responsible for printing in his comic strip?

My OLD MAN'S a barber, you son of a bitch!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

He wasn't kowtowing to the skeletons or whatever,

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07052005

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dear diary

Today I yelled at the chicken again

I guess I really lost my cool this time

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Man, I just had a completely trashy orgasm.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Literally The Worst posted:

Man, I just had a completely trashy orgasm.

Does he always wear a crown after he fucks somebody?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't wait for the new season of Trials of Honour.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Somehow Pat is the specific sort of rear end in a top hat who can live with Nice Pete and not be horribly, horribly murdered.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

There's a complicated power dynamic in that house.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

YOU CAN'T JUST TALK! TODAY IS A RAISING YOUR HAND DAY! THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS!

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
That was an act of love, you son of a bitch! You'll never know anything so beautiful!

Smoking Mr. Gary's pole is so beautiful

There it is. My Favorite Achewood Punchline.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

EndOfTheWorld posted:

That was an act of love, you son of a bitch! You'll never know anything so beautiful!

Smoking Mr. Gary's pole is so beautiful

There it is. My Favorite Achewood Punchline.

Did Aaaarrrthuuuur ever come back later after he came out?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

MMAgCh posted:

ummmm

I recommend listening to this while browsing through that achewood arc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scktDsNHeds

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JethroMcB posted:

"Seven men pissing into empties, calling you human being. They cannot see you." is easily in my top five alt texts from the entire run. It's a very evocative image.

It really is. It's in strong contention with "You can do whatever you want in life." for me, which is one I love to quote.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"If you're at a place and you've made some mistakes, Ray just wants you home safe." is another standout.

e: "The idea is, they get so panicked about the forgotten picnic basket that they gently caress."

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 17, 2015

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I get a lot of mileage out of "i...am...here...to tell you not to get a hangover"