Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Assuming proper exposure at time of shooting, what would cause a negative to come out underexposed?

Testing out a new camera, I used a reliable light meter and took several test shots. After development, all of my shadows were clipped. I would assume it would be more common for an old camera shutter to have extended exposure times rather than shorter ones, wouldn't it?

Anyway the film I used was a new roll of Fuji Acros 100 and I developed in Ilfotec HC at 1+31 dilution for 6 minutes at 18C as suggested on the massive dev chart. That temperature seemed weird because normally everything is listed at 20C. The developer is a bit old now, pushing two years, but I keep it in its original concentrated syrup and I try to squeeze out as much air as possible from the bottle when I store it. It's also kept in a cool basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
What do you mean by "my shadows were clipped"?

Here's a short list of possibilities:
  • shutter running fast (what shutter speed did you use? what camera is it?)
  • developer is expired (quite possible)
  • development time/temp too short/low (possible, I do 7 minutes at 20C with dilution E with continuous rotary agitation)
  • incorrect metering

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Developing at 18 C is getting risky, since that's just about the low bound of when developers typically function at all. Too low temperature and the chemical process just stop. 5 minutes at 20 C would have been a safer bet.

Here's Ilford's own chart from their tech paper:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

What do you mean by "my shadows were clipped"?

Here's a short list of possibilities:
  • shutter running fast (what shutter speed did you use? what camera is it?)
  • developer is expired (quite possible)
  • development time/temp too short/low (possible, I do 7 minutes at 20C with dilution E with continuous rotary agitation)
  • incorrect metering

The histogram was pushed pretty far to the left and raising the exposure in lightroom just brought out a bunch of noise. The shadows were already pure black pretty much. Not just in my controlled test shots, but a few random outdoor shots too. Normally I can boost them quite a bit without any problem when I underexpose a shot by accident.

I was using a new (to me) Mamiya C220 and most shots were done at 1/60.

It's possible that my developer is just beginning to show signs of age, and possibly 18C was too cold - I should have went with 20C. I have a few more rolls of Acros I can test with to confirm.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
re: Ektar chat from a little bit ago, I just had a roll developed and think the colors are pretty awesome but shooting with it was a huge pain so I probably won't again unless it's for a specific thing. ISO 100 + having to nail exposure every time is no way to live. Especially when it's raining all the time.

Example of awesome colors/only one I've finished processing:

Coffee and Cigarettes by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I just ran some ektar through colorperfect and the results are :psyduck:

DSC_9266-Edit by rchan02, on Flickr

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Is that dirt... Purple?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Chitin posted:

re: Ektar chat from a little bit ago, I just had a roll developed and think the colors are pretty awesome but shooting with it was a huge pain so I probably won't again unless it's for a specific thing. ISO 100 + having to nail exposure every time is no way to live. Especially when it's raining all the time.

That is pretty much every shot for me.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
img487 by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
So I've got a bulk roll of Tri-X, expired 12/2013, don't think it was refrigerated but was well kept. Should I compensate on the exposure, and if so, any ballparks on how much?

(I'm guessing no, still fresh enough).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just shoot it as normal.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Here's an article on a guy who shot some of the earliest colour photographs using a process called Autochrome in 1913. Pretty amazing stuff:

http://mashable.com/2015/04/23/autochrome-photos-ogorman/

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The first photo could really have been taken today. (As the article also pointed out).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That 2nd one :worship:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Some dead dude with archaic expermental equipment took better photos than me. :cripes:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'd love to have a crack at the processes, dyed potato starch mixed with sensitised gelatine, an 8x10 autochrome transparency would be unbelievable.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

He used glass plates. Would film hold up to the starches?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

bobmarleysghost posted:

He used glass plates. Would film hold up to the starches?

I'd use glass/plexiglass plates myself if I were to actually have a go. I'll do some research over the weekend and see what other people have done, and if there are any recipes floating about.

There is this guy who coated some plastic films with a similar kind of emulsion and got some (what I think are) decent results:
http://www.autochromes.fr/english/def.html

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

God drat, I brought my little Olympus 35RC to my coworker's wedding and shot five rolls (two Portra, three Tri-X), and it took almost a week to get it developed, scanned, edited, and processed. The worst loving part was dusting all the negatives :barf:

I think I'm gonna take a break from film for a while...

Untitled by khyrre, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Use a rocket blower on them right before you close the lid and don't be a disgusting goon.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

404notfound posted:

The worst loving part was dusting all the negatives :barf:

Man I feel for you.
When scanning so much stuff IR-based automated cleaning should be mandatory.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So i recently was given these by my grandfather

Any suggestions for a cheap reliable 110 camera to look for? Also how terrible is the lomography film since they are the only ones who are making 110?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I have a mint condition Agfamatic Pocket 3008 that I'm trying to get rid of. I haven't tested it with film but it seems to work fine. I can post pics later if you are interested.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

Use a rocket blower on them right before you close the lid and don't be a disgusting goon.

I do that and I'm not a disgusting goon and dusting is still a loving pain in the rear end. :shrug:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So i recently was given these by my grandfather

Any suggestions for a cheap reliable 110 camera to look for? Also how terrible is the lomography film since they are the only ones who are making 110?

Not really cheap, and apparently not at all reliable, but a Pentax Auto 110 looks loving awesome.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Was it here that I saw someone bought a changing tent? Was it one of those $200+ ones?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Saint Fu posted:

Was it here that I saw someone bought a changing tent? Was it one of those $200+ ones?

I have a Harrison Pup tent, which is indeed $200+ new (I got mine used). I know ansel autisms likes his KangRinpoche, which is a cheaper Chinese clone of the Harrison. I loving love my tent and it solved all of the problems I had with changing bags. I take it with me on any trip where I'm going to expose more than 10 or 20 sheets.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage also recommended one to me, I don't think it had a brand. It's a godsend for loading and unloading LF holders. I think I'd go crazy doing it in a darkbag.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I know the topic of airports and film has been done to death here and elsewhere, but does expired film change anything? Specifically, I have a short interstate trip coming up and I'd like to use some of the 10+ year expired film I bought from MrBlandAverage, but I'm concerned even two more rounds of carry-on x-rays will be too much.

(Also, any good strategies for shooting decade-old film? I'm thinking meter for 50, develop as normal?)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

rohan posted:

I know the topic of airports and film has been done to death here and elsewhere, but does expired film change anything? Specifically, I have a short interstate trip coming up and I'd like to use some of the 10+ year expired film I bought from MrBlandAverage, but I'm concerned even two more rounds of carry-on x-rays will be too much.

(Also, any good strategies for shooting decade-old film? I'm thinking meter for 50, develop as normal?)

I made 5 passes with 3200 speed film with no issues.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Definitely carry on though.

Dad with X-Ray, Light Leaks and Scratches by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I always carry on and I always ask for a hand check. It usually only takes an extra minute.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Awkward Davies posted:

I always carry on and I always ask for a hand check. It usually only takes an extra minute.

Yup. Only problem is that some countries won't let you hand check it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pukestain Pal posted:

Yup. Only problem is that some countries won't let you hand check it.

That just goes to show how long it's been since I've been out of the U.S. :(

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
If anything, expired film will be less sensitive to x-rays.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Does anyone know anything about Kodak Cosmos 400 film? I got 2 rolls of it today but searching online just gets me other people asking for information about it. Here is a quick and dirty picture of the two rolls next to a fresh roll of Kentmere 400 to show how Pink the Kodak film is. Could it be C41 black and white?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

aricoarena posted:

Does anyone know anything about Kodak Cosmos 400 film? I got 2 rolls of it today but searching online just gets me other people asking for information about it. Here is a quick and dirty picture of the two rolls next to a fresh roll of Kentmere 400 to show how Pink the Kodak film is. Could it be C41 black and white?

I think it's just a standard black and white film. Notice on BW400CN, the black-and-white C-41 film, Kodak marks the canister as such, while on Tri-X, it's marked "B&W", like on your cartridges. This closed eBay auction has some box information, too, and nothing about C-41 processing. The English/French packaging might be a clue, but I have no real idea about what, unless it's a Canadian regional offering... but then how did it wind up in the UK?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Searching for Kodak CSY film, I came across this

quote:

In 1995 I used a Kodak film #5055 CSY, B&W 35mm film and the name was COSMOS. It came in 12 exposures and the speed was 400. I developed it in Rodinal 1:25 for 7 min at 24°C. The negative was very nice with well balanced contrasts a bit grainy but not more than a Tri-X 400.

Looks like yours has 20 exposures, which is weird.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

If anything, expired film will be less sensitive to x-rays.

Xray exposure raises the fog level of the film and old film has a higher base fog so it would actually probably be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

why would you ever check film?