Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember reading an article several years ago where a US Army officer said that when it came to cornering someone inside a house in Iraq, he was literally under stricter rules of engagement than the cops are. The army would surround the house and basically wait the guy out, and more often than not the dude would surrender within like 24 hours. If I remember right, actually breaking into the house was considered extremely risky and a last resort, and he'd have to get permission from further up the chain of command to do so.

Contrast with the cops where they're loving gung-ho about bashing the door in and throwing flashbangs and LARPing out their Tom Clancy Rainbow Six fantasies.

well i mean this is just real obvious tactics. why go into an area where enemies could be posted up and prepared for you when you can surround them and wait for them to run out of supplies? plus a house's entrance is a dangerous chokepoint that gives your enemies a pretty nice advantage.

edit: plus if you outnumber them then less of them can rest and for shorter periods of time, so they should become fatigued p fast

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Condiv posted:

well i mean this is just real obvious tactics. why go into an area where enemies could be posted up and prepared for you when you can surround them and wait for them to run out of supplies? plus a house's entrance is a dangerous chokepoint that gives your enemies a pretty nice advantage.

edit: plus if you outnumber them then less of them can rest and for shorter periods of time, so they should become fatigued p fast

well yeah but if the person is a dealer maybe they could do their pounds and pounds of drugs in the 24 hours the police are waiting for them huh did u think of that

think of public safety!!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
'Soldiers vs armed combatants' is a pretty apples-to-oranges comparison for 'Police vs civilian suspects' in an overwhelming majority of situations and we probably don't want them to be handling those scenarios the same way.

Also the Military policy is quite patently concerned with protecting the lives of its own soldiers than those of the people in the house.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Voyager I posted:

'Soldiers vs armed combatants' is a pretty apples-to-oranges comparison for 'Police vs civilian suspects' in an overwhelming majority of situations and we probably don't want them to be handling those scenarios the same way.

Also the Military policy is quite patently concerned with protecting the lives of its own soldiers than those of the people in the house.

The point being, that police regularly murder unarmed people and claim it's because nearly anyone could be armed and attacking them, and yet in the profession where this is more likely true, they are less aggressive and more protective of human life.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zeitgueist posted:

The point being, that police regularly murder unarmed people and claim it's because nearly anyone could be armed and attacking them, and yet in the profession where this is more likely true, they are less aggressive and more protective of human life.

Yes, but they're principally being more protective of their own lives. Police can do cavalier poo poo like forced entries because in reality they are very unlikely to be shot at.

Police should definitely kill less people and spend less time trying to LARP a Tom Clancy novel though.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I remember reading an article several years ago where a US Army officer said that when it came to cornering someone inside a house in Iraq, he was literally under stricter rules of engagement than the cops are. The army would surround the house and basically wait the guy out, and more often than not the dude would surrender within like 24 hours. If I remember right, actually breaking into the house was considered extremely risky and a last resort, and he'd have to get permission from further up the chain of command to do so.
I would really like to see that article. I'll caveat this by saying that the war went through a lot of iterations in terms of preferred tactics and RoE, but most guys I spoke to who worked on the ground didn't like sitting in one place for long periods of time because it gave insurgents an opportunity. Also, most of the people we really wanted to get were handed off to TF-121 (or whatever iteration they were at the time), who often opted to simply abduct insurgent commanders from their houses in the middle of the night. I wouldn't start saying that the police should adopt military RoE, since A) the military and police serve entirely different purposes, and B) the military is allowed to shoot anti-tank missiles at occupied buildings to get one guy.

EDIT:

Voyager I posted:

Yuuup.

High risk warrant service:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 17, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dead Reckoning posted:

High risk warrant service:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE#1985_bombing?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

And you would prefer the police do that on a regular basis? Because "call in an air strike or artillery" is a pretty common response to armed enemies behind a barricade.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Except this one was terrible to the point they actually had to pay damages and most definitely should not be a repeated course of action for a civilian service.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Voyager I posted:

Yes, but they're principally being more protective of their own lives. Police can do cavalier poo poo like forced entries because in reality they are very unlikely to be shot at.

Yes, but that's not what they claim.

I believe the poster was highlighting the fact that police are full of poo poo and the people who actually are potentially shot at every day aren't as bad as them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I agree that police should not be allowed to bomb houses. That's why I linked it in response to Dead Reckoning's joke about what it might be like if the police were more like the military. It was a time that the police did bomb a place, and it was bad.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zeitgueist posted:

Yes, but that's not what they claim.

I believe the poster was highlighting the fact that police are full of poo poo and the people who actually are potentially shot at every day aren't as bad as them.

The police greatly exaggerate the hazards of their profession. Soldiers may not be inherently better or worse, but they don't get to pull the same stunts because it will actually get them killed.

If police routinely died playing cowboy they would probably have stricter regulations on how they're allowed to approach potentially dangerous situations as well.

They should still have stricter regulations, but not for the same reasons that soldiers do and they probably shouldn't be modeled very closely on the military.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

something like 100,00 civilians died in iraq because of us. The US military surrounded an entire city and then forced every male between the ages of 15 and 55 back into the city when they tried to flee. Then the military tried their best to kill everybody inside. Are you really gonna hold them and our war on terror as paragons of restraint? The police definitely are responsible for the fear minorities have of us, but the military has made an entire generation of children afraid of the loving sky.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

LOL we killed a poo poo ton of people in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hell, a bunch of guys went to jail for planting guns on dead Afghans, so I guess the military and the police are closer than you think.

Now I really want to buy archives so that I can see what D&D was saying about the military's restraint and humanity during the "collateral murder" days.

Voyager I posted:

The police greatly exaggerate the hazards of their profession. Soldiers may not be inherently better or worse, but they don't get to pull the same stunts because it will actually get them killed.
We had people doing helo insertions and taking doors pretty much the whole time we were there.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Zeitgueist posted:

Don't you dare suggest that our boys in blue aren't in the most dangerous job in the world.

American Exceptionalism at it's finest. We are the greatest country, and we have the best loving criminals too. Watch out!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Boy it sure is weird how everytime a police dept comes under scrutiny from one of hese questionable shootings it turns out they all have shady corruption and/or unchecked racism behind the scenes

Must just be a wild statistical coincedence

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Well, it would make sense that the distribution of unjustified shootings would fall heavily in the poorly run and racist departments.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
The hits dont stop. Even when the victim stops moving

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/video-shows-cops-arrest-healthy-man-hours-later-hes-icu-coma-severe-injuries
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-gilmor-homes-arrest-folo-20150415-story.html

quote:

Video Shows Cops Arrest Healthy Man, Hours Later He’s in ICU in a Coma With Severe Injuries

... 27-year old Freddie Gray is now hospitalized in critical condition and in induced coma, after an incident with Baltimore police Sunday morning.

... According to the family, Gray has spinal injuries and is barely alive.

While Deputy Commissioner Rodriguez denies any use of force in the video, there is a considerable amount of time not documented. So what happened after Freddie Gray was loaded into the police van to put him in critical condition? Did Gray receive a “nickel ride” from the fine folks at the Baltimore Police Department?

For those who don’t know, “nickel rides,” as reported by the Inquirer in 2001, were a witness-free way for police to punish unruly, uncooperative, or arrogant suspects – without ever laying a hand on them. For rogue police, it was a literal way to deliver “street justice.”

quote:

A man injured in a videotaped encounter with Baltimore police near Gilmor Homes this week had surgery and remained in a coma Wednesday, while the Police Department still declined to comment on why he was arrested or how he was hurt.

... A video that circulated widely on social media and prompted the Police Department to hold a news conference about the incident showed him yelling as police held him on the sidewalk and then carried him, his legs dragging limp on the street, into a police van.

Nickel ride? Must be a myth propagated by dirty cop-haters!

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/hear-nickel-ride-philly-cops-gave-man-one-tax-payers-giving-490k/

quote:

Ever Hear of a “Nickel Ride”? Philly Cops Gave this Man One, Now Tax-payers are Giving Him $490K

... The ‘nickel ride’ Among Philadelphia police, the ritual of taking suspects for rough rides dates back decades. The practice even has an archaic name: “nickel ride,” a term that harks back to the days when amusement-park rides cost 5 cents.

... McKenna was then handcuffed and put in the van, but not strapped in. He said police accelerated and decelerated the wagon, knocking him to the floor four times.

After the last tumble, he said, he couldn’t stand. “I couldn’t muster the strength,” he said.

McKenna’s injuries included three broken neck vertebrae and two ruptured neck discs.

Upon arriving at the hospital police claimed McKenna’s injuries were self-sustained, saying that he beat his head against bars in the cell.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Or maybe, in a world where even the seattle pd had to have federal babysitters assigned after they were looked into, this is a widespread phenomenon and departments are being popped now because citizen complaints about their misconduct aren't being dismissed as a matter of course.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Intel&Sebastian posted:

because citizen complaints about their misconduct aren't being dismissed as a matter of course.
They could not care less about complaints. They do care about (and hate) videos of their day to day criminal behavior, which is why there has been so many instances of cop-hatred for cameras and phones with cameras/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, his training was falsified...

Impressively, the only major difference between his actions and the actions of a fully trained American police officer is that he killed an unarmed and subdued suspect accidentally instead of intentionally.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Voyager I posted:

The police greatly exaggerate the hazards of their profession.

Yes, that's the point.

Branis posted:

something like 100,00 civilians died in iraq because of us. The US military surrounded an entire city and then forced every male between the ages of 15 and 55 back into the city when they tried to flee. Then the military tried their best to kill everybody inside. Are you really gonna hold them and our war on terror as paragons of restraint? The police definitely are responsible for the fear minorities have of us, but the military has made an entire generation of children afraid of the loving sky.

Dead Reckoning posted:

LOL we killed a poo poo ton of people in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hell, a bunch of guys went to jail for planting guns on dead Afghans, so I guess the military and the police are closer than you think.

Now I really want to buy archives so that I can see what D&D was saying about the military's restraint and humanity during the "collateral murder" days.
We had people doing helo insertions and taking doors pretty much the whole time we were there.

LOL if you think I'm admiring the military's restraint.

Police are cowards who bullshit about how dangerous their job is to get away with being trigger happy assholes.

If you had guys going to jail for planting weapons, you're already doing better than US police. :eng101:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Military: So this militant that we know is armed and wants to make us die ran into that house over there. We have him outnumbered 30:1 and are just going to wait him out. He can't stay in there forever.

Police: I THINK I SMELL WEED AND MIGHT HAVE HEARD A TOILET FLUSH THEY'RE DESTROYING EVIDENCE QUICK SMASH IN THE DOOR, THROW A FLASHBANG IN EVERY ROOM, CALL IN EVERY SWAT TEAM WE CAN, AND IF HE SO MUCH AS LOOKS LIKE HE MIGHT BE THREATENING ONE OF US SHOOT HIM 90 TIMES OR HELL JUST DO IT IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT gently caress IT HE'S OBVIOUSLY A DRUG DEALER BECAUSE I SAID SO OK GO!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dead Reckoning posted:

And you would prefer the police do that on a regular basis? Because "call in an air strike or artillery" is a pretty common response to armed enemies behind a barricade.

The USA has actually called in air strikes and artillery on its own citizens within its own borders to help police capture/eliminate some criminals. :v:

In maybe the best known of those events, the police also summarily executed the dudes that surrendered after bringing them back to the police station and insuring they were unarmed and cuffed. It was a lovely execution though since half of them lived through it, though they did succeed at killing 5 of them. Lots of bad press for that.

The 1950s were some crazy times man.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 17, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Military: So this militant that we know is armed and wants to make us die ran into that house over there. We have him outnumbered 30:1 and are just going to wait him out. He can't stay in there forever.

Police: I THINK I SMELL WEED AND MIGHT HAVE HEARD A TOILET FLUSH THEY'RE DESTROYING EVIDENCE QUICK SMASH IN THE DOOR, THROW A FLASHBANG IN EVERY ROOM, CALL IN EVERY SWAT TEAM WE CAN, AND IF HE SO MUCH AS LOOKS LIKE HE MIGHT BE THREATENING ONE OF US SHOOT HIM 90 TIMES OR HELL JUST DO IT IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT gently caress IT HE'S OBVIOUSLY A DRUG DEALER BECAUSE I SAID SO OK GO!

I know the second part is sarcastic, but it really cannot be overemphasized that Police and Soldiers aren't doing the same jobs and thus pointing out that they handle superficially similar situations in very different manners is meaningless. Hell, if they were handling it the way the Military does ('going in would be dangerous, just level the building on them' being a perfectly reasonable response in a military context) I would take it as a cause for serious alarm.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Holy poo poo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think you guys got the completely wrong message from my post. I was trying to suggest that the police are so out of control that they exercise less restraint than an occupying army fighting an insurgency, and that this highlights just how hosed up police tactics and use of force are.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

I know the second part is sarcastic, but it really cannot be overemphasized that Police and Soldiers aren't doing the same jobs and thus pointing out that they handle superficially similar situations in very different manners is meaningless. Hell, if they were handling it the way the Military does ('going in would be dangerous, just level the building on them' being a perfectly reasonable response in a military context) I would take it as a cause for serious alarm.

The second post was also kind of meant to highlight how insane the police in America have gotten in some cases. "I don't know, I thought I smelled weed, I guess" is enough justification for the police to knock down your door. Once that happens "I felt threatened" is enough justification to gun down whoever they feel like. Both statements could be completely and utterly false but the response is to pat the cop on the back and say "good job!"

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

I think you guys got the completely wrong message from my post. I was trying to suggest that the police are so out of control that they exercise less restraint than an occupying army fighting an insurgency, and that this highlights just how hosed up police tactics and use of force are.

No, the issue is that you're misinterpreting the behavior of the military and making comparisons that are only superficially similar. It's not restraint or concern for the wellbeing of their opponents, it's caution in the face of actual danger. As others have said, sometimes this caution takes the form of just blowing up a building if they think it would be too dangerous to send people in, and war in general kills lots and lots and lots of civilians with this kind of collateral damage. You do not want your police force borrowing the army's playbook.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Voyager I posted:

No, the issue is that you're misinterpreting the behavior of the military and making comparisons that are only superficially similar. It's not restraint or concern for the wellbeing of their opponents, it's caution in the face of actual danger. As others have said, sometimes this caution takes the form of just blowing up a building if they think it would be too dangerous to send people in, and war in general kills lots and lots and lots of civilians with this kind of collateral damage. You do not want your police force borrowing the army's playbook.

obviously we need it to in some situations because police are doing retarded things that put themselves and citizens in more danger. no-one's saying that the police should start treating citizens like armed combatants, but some procedures used by the military when dealing with armed combatants are clearly superior to current police tactics (such as no-knock raids) when it comes to policing.

there is really no reason why police cannot have the swat team shut off power, water, and surround a suspect's home when trying to apprehend a potentially dangerous suspect.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 17, 2015

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Condiv posted:

there is really no reason why police cannot have the swat team shut off power, water, and surround a suspect's home when trying to apprehend a potentially dangerous suspect.

Basically this. By the time the reasonable response has escalated to "break down the door and kill anything that moves" the police should already have enough other evidence to convict. If the water is shut off they won't be able to flush much down the toilet. And if 1-2 flushes is enough to get rid of all the evidence then they probably didn't have enough drugs to warrant a no knock breach.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is a bad analogy because this isn't some sort of standard military response and depending on the time frame of the war and their area of operations you're just as likely (if not more likely) to see the military either kick in the doors or just kill everyone in the house from the outside.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
But it any case it puts the lie to the police's claim that they execute no-knock SWAT raids the way they do because they really believe the house is dangerous and an armed raid is therefore the least risky way to get the suspect out.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

I got the message. :hfive:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Yeah but your message was completely wrong, we didn't use less restraint.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'd also note that your source for the claim that it was SOP to camp a guy's house until he decided to come out on his own is an article you sort of remember from several years ago, which, again, I'd really like to read since it's quite different from other accounts of the war.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Yeah but your message was completely wrong, we didn't use less restraint.
Less restraint than someone who has none sounds like someone who escalates the situation.

Which fits the scope of the thread to a T concerning cops & makes the message correct.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Commendable restraint.

To be honest camping out a house would make a lot more sense in the context of police work where capturing the suspects alive is a priority and they don't have an indeterminate number of reinforcements potentially in the area.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

tezcat posted:

Less restraint than someone who has none sounds like someone who escalates the situation.

Which fits the scope of the thread to a T concerning cops & makes the message correct.
Do you understand that saying, "Hey guys, we're not going to kick doors on this one because intel says this dude's house is basically one giant IED" is different than what people usually mean when they talk about "showing restraint," which typically refers to refraining from an action for principled or altruistic reasons, rather than fear of ending up in a CSH minus some of your important bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So we've reached the point where people are telling vets how they're wrong and the US Army was actually really restrained during the war just to avoid having to admit that maybe, just maybe, saying that cops are more trigger-happy then a bunch of infantryman in a war-zone was a bridge too far.

Truly we are through the looking glass now

edit:

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd also note that your source for the claim that it was SOP to camp a guy's house until he decided to come out on his own is an article you sort of remember from several years ago, which, again, I'd really like to read since it's quite different from other accounts of the war.

Yeah, like mine, I was just assuming maybe some different poo poo then my experience in Afghanistan happened in Iraq at some points

• Locked thread