Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
No pictures, but I took my F800GS out for "real" adventure yesterday. Did some NorCal backwoods "roads" with a half dozen water crossings. I was really surprised at how well the Anakee 3's held traction. One muddy spot where I started losing grip, but momentum just carried me through. Some fairly technical stuff for that size bike. I need a GoPro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Crayvex posted:

It didn't take me a month, I just put the project on hold because I had other stuff to do. It's April in Michigan which still means the mornings are in the 30's. drat, guys, glad to see that CA is still full of love. :hurr:

Work smarter not harder, thats all I am saying.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

EX250 Type R posted:

Work smarter not harder, thats all I am saying.

(shrug) I don't see how taking 10 minutes to save factory grips is a waste. To each their own.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Don't mind him, he's grumpy from the micro concussions.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Everything could have been installed a month ago when you tried and failed because you were too cheap to spend 10 bucks on some new grips.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Clearly, CA has finally achieved menstrual synchrony.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't understand why people are bickering here when there is a perfectly good riding challenge to do okay see ya later

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah sorry its your time and your money and you can do whatever you want with it. Any particular reason you didn't get actual heated grips over whatever it is you installed?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

EX250 Type R posted:

Yeah sorry its your time and your money and you can do whatever you want with it. Any particular reason you didn't get actual heated grips over whatever it is you installed?

I installed those kind of heated grips on a KZ1000P. (Which I did cut the grips off of :colbert:.) They got warm enough but they were hard and uncomfortable. They started showing wear within a year. That's why I wanted to preserve the stock grips.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Spent a few hours today trying to diagnose where the dirt keeps coming from that keeps blocking the pilot jet on my sumo CRF100.

Ended up rinsing and seafoaming the tank, replacing the pilot jet, and installing an in-line fuel filter.

Only to open the airbox up and find that it looks like someone had explosive diarrhea in it. Sigh. New filter and element on the way.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Wondered what that horrible clunking/clicking feel/sound was for the last few weeks. Cleaned and lubed my chain, and realized I have like 3" of slack (it's supposed to be slightly under or slightly over 1" on a Ninjer 300).

Figured out how to tighten up the chain, did that. No more horrible clicking feel when I accelerate!

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Lynza posted:

Cleaned and lubed my chain, and realized I have like 3" of slack
I've got to deal with a similar problem, tomorrow:

(CBR250R; Not my bike.)

That chain had been falling off regularly before the owner packed the bike away for winter. Dragged his feet ordering a new one (and replacements for all the bent-to-gently caress adjustment hardware), so it's taken until now to do anything about it.

I have to drive him like a slave to get him to take care of necessary stuff. Already replaced a bent brake lever and some missing fairing bolts, changed the oil and filter only a couple thousand miles late, and tossed the completely destroyed and ugly Two Brothers muffler in favor of a carbon fiber version one of my other friends used to have on his GSXR. Looking back at that photo right now in the reply preview I can see the sprocket also has no more teeth. I know he's been riding that thing around since I took that photo.

It's an odd feeling, realizing all that stands between your friend and certain death is yourself...

Mostly unrelated: The oil filters for these things are adorable, like a little filter-shaped candy.

VVV Oh, durr, I see now. Still not much less horrified at the general state of everything there, though. VVV

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 13, 2015

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Frosty- posted:

Looking back at that photo right now in the reply preview I can see the sprocket also has no more teeth. I know he's been riding that thing around since I took that photo.

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're observing is an illusion. There are teeth on the sprocket, but the grease from the chain sort of makes it appear like all the teeth are worn off.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Broblems.

Been having starting issues with the Buell. It will light up and try to turn over but once it hits compression, I get relay clicking. But not like the battery is dead, very excitedly toggles the relay off and on and doesn't run down.

The old battery was original mfg in 2007. I had it on the charger for a couple nights to eliminate the battery possibility, tried to start it, and chug chhhhug chhhhuuuuuuuuugggg *click*. That's what happens when a battery is dead so I replaced it. Dead cold with a fresh battery, it fires right up, doesn't even take half a crank. Took it for a ride. Everything seems great. Except for at the gas station and the homebrew store it tried to give me a clicky relay thing again. I think since the new battery is fresh enough, I could coax it over TDC and get it going.

Pulled the starter relay. A couple of the posts were tarnished up pretty good so I sanded them down to shiny metal and used some contact grease when reinstalling. Checked all the other relays under the seat and did the same for them; there are two more behind the number plate I'll check tonight. It's kind of tedious because it's intermittent and seems associated with the bike being warm. So I can't just pull it into the driveway and hit the starter; I have to ride it until warm and give it a few stops and starts.

Also bought a multimeter, because I think it is inevitable that I will need to use it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I had a similar issue when I had my Sportster. It ended up that that negative battery cable had corroded and broken inside the insulation. Depending on how good the connection was inside the insulation, it would react all the way from no power at all to starting normally. Not sure if this would apply to your situation, though since yours sounds like it's heat dependent.

Your bike being warm probably does take more juice to start as compression has built up in the cylinders so that may account for the difference in a cold versus warm startup. Electrical gremlins can be a bitch to track down. Good luck!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Fortunately, I suppose, the bike doesn't have a million electronics to diagnose.

At this point it's down to the other two relays, the ring terminal for the starter, chassis ground(s) (also ring terminals), or a wiring break.

I kind of suspect the terminal on the starter - gets hot, expands, loses some of its contact?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 13, 2015

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Scrapez posted:

I had a similar issue when I had my Sportster. It ended up that that negative battery cable had corroded and broken inside the insulation.

Seconded, this cable is subject to all sorts of contortions and stress due to being inaccessible from the starboard side, plus trial and error routing during batt install. After 7-8 seasons of this, they start getting gnarly and are worth the 5 bucks if you're putting together an online order for upkeep bits anyway.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Scrapez posted:

I had a similar issue when I had my Sportster. It ended up that that negative battery cable had corroded and broken inside the insulation. Depending on how good the connection was inside the insulation, it would react all the way from no power at all to starting normally. Not sure if this would apply to your situation, though since yours sounds like it's heat dependent.

Your bike being warm probably does take more juice to start as compression has built up in the cylinders so that may account for the difference in a cold versus warm startup. Electrical gremlins can be a bitch to track down. Good luck!

Probably not coincidently I am also having this issue with my Sportster. I'll take some photos and maybe some video if I can recreate the sound and experience again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:v:

Cheapass way of going from

to

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Why would you remove the best looking exhaust in recent history?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

:v: Boat anchor

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

:v: Boat anchor

Post a BMI of 16 or less or admit how wrong you are

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

Post a BMI of 16 or less or admit how wrong you are

BMI is horse poo poo. Coming to THill?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yep, I'm in. The open days are as good as it gets.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It'll be a first for me. I went to Chuckwalla last month - first Cali trackday for me - and it was heaven compared to the poo poo that is Arizona trackdays so I can't wait. :)

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

Time to kick the ole GS500 to the CL curb.

Shined it up, lubed the chain, and sold it. :10bux:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spiffness posted:

To me it seems like a barista exchanging a square eye piercing stud for a round one. He is right that it looks better.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Finished my fairings but I need some new front signals

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Looks gorgeous! Nice work.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

To me it seems like a barista exchanging a square eye piercing stud for a round one. He is right that it looks better.

The tragedy is that the rightest exhaust is rare as gently caress and only seen on the factory bikes, although some folks make replicas:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Expensive as gently caress does not even begin to cover what a 999RS exhaust costs :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spark makes a cheaper replica.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Rode it after a bit of a dry spell. My season began on 3/12, which was just part of freak warm snap in MI. Took the bait.

Cleaned something off my heat shield that could only be described as a gob, and could only have been placed there by a time-traveling Sid Vicious with a mouth full of Guiness and Skoal.

So c'mon everybody! Find yourself a body double and jump on your trailered Honda CB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DFDx1Skv5k

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Fixing Buell FFUs (factory gently caress ups, I feel like with Buell this deserves an acronym): the wire loom under the frame over the engine isn't routed right on my Uly. I had the temp sensor wire just sitting on the rear rocker box, under a bit of loom, and its heat resistant sheathing was visibly starting to wear... so I zip-tied the heat sensor wire and the loom going from the injectors or whatever up off the engine. Not sure if this *fixes* anything, but it makes me feel better about things.

With how many zip-ties I've been adding to secure the loom it's starting to look mighty Italian.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

With how many zip-ties I've been adding to secure the loom it's starting to look mighty Italian.

:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zips

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Racist slang is so wonderfully stupid when you're from a different culture.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah I had no idea. I'm just thinking Aprilia here.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah I had no idea. I'm just thinking Aprilia here.

I figured, I couldn't help myself.:D

Slavvy posted:

Racist slang is so wonderfully stupid when you're from a different culture.

I'd love to hear some of yours, but you eliminated all of your minorities.

edit
gently caress. I forgot you're a Kiwi and not from Tasmania. I don't know why I always confuse the two. :shrug:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Because neither one matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Put 412s on the sportster and have the fork springs to do soon, too. Pictures tomorrow. Slowly making it fun and comfortable for two up. New seat and backrest next, then performance. Then new bike once I get a job!