Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yeah I'm really looking forward to playing an all new campaign with the Arts system, its really fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Yo

YOOOOOOO

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Does that mech have a ponytail that drifts off into the horizon?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Either that or it just had its head bitten off by a giant red flying jellyfish.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

By the way, you're at the point of the game where the leveling curve is a bit wonky. The appropriately leveled enemies are actually now the highest leveled enemies way back in Colony 9. You can forge ahead anyway but the next boss tends to be a small bit of a rodeblock since it's easy to get to it underleveled.

Pfft, it can't be that bad.

THREE loving HOURS LATER

Holy poo poo this boss is such bullshit!! She wouldn't be so bad by herself, but somebody decided to put in poison pits that take up more than half the room so you'll constantly get pushed into, and then somebody decided she needs to summon a half dozen unkillable ether clouds whose only attack causes knockback, which is constantly interrupting my arts, so I'd pick an art, but before it'll hit I'd get knockbacked by those loving clouds and there's at least half a dozen of the things so it happens very, very often, typically knocking me closer to the poison, oh and the AI has no idea how to get out of the poison they'd stay in there all day if they want to, which they do.

I've been trying every combination of characters I can think of, and so far none of them have worked. Dunban/Reyn/Sharla? Useless, the tanks don't deal enough damage to the boss to really make progress, and all the clouds target Sharla so she's constantly getting pelted with mist shots with means half my healing shots are for her. Dunban/Melia/Seven? Ugh, NO, Dunban can't keep aggro on him worth a drat, meaning the glass cannon Melia is gonna die after three or four hits, followed closely by Seven. Riki/Reyn/Melia? The closest to killing her I've gotten until she loving HEALED HERSELF and then the siren call of the poison pit lured Riki and Reyn to their deaths while the respawned clouds prevented me from doing anything but get knocked around. And that attempt lasted at least twenty minutes all on it's own.

... really tempted to just level grind my way past. Currently level 74.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

There's a command you can use to call your party members to your position if you want to get them out of danger, I think it's ZL and down on the dpad.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pfft, it can't be that bad.

THREE loving HOURS LATER

Holy poo poo this boss is such bullshit!! She wouldn't be so bad by herself, but somebody decided to put in poison pits that take up more than half the room so you'll constantly get pushed into, and then somebody decided she needs to summon a half dozen unkillable ether clouds whose only attack causes knockback, which is constantly interrupting my arts, so I'd pick an art, but before it'll hit I'd get knockbacked by those loving clouds and there's at least half a dozen of the things so it happens very, very often, typically knocking me closer to the poison, oh and the AI has no idea how to get out of the poison they'd stay in there all day if they want to, which they do.

I've been trying every combination of characters I can think of, and so far none of them have worked. Dunban/Reyn/Sharla? Useless, the tanks don't deal enough damage to the boss to really make progress, and all the clouds target Sharla so she's constantly getting pelted with mist shots with means half my healing shots are for her. Dunban/Melia/Seven? Ugh, NO, Dunban can't keep aggro on him worth a drat, meaning the glass cannon Melia is gonna die after three or four hits, followed closely by Seven. Riki/Reyn/Melia? The closest to killing her I've gotten until she loving HEALED HERSELF and then the siren call of the poison pit lured Riki and Reyn to their deaths while the respawned clouds prevented me from doing anything but get knocked around. And that attempt lasted at least twenty minutes all on it's own.

... really tempted to just level grind my way past. Currently level 74.

Ah I remember that fight. The only tip I can give you is don't play it in front of someone who you don't want to see you cry.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The elemental adds are killable - they normally explode for minor/moderate damage when killed ("Meltdown") but if you ignore them then she'll sacrifice them for a nastier effect and maybe buffing/healing herself ("Sacrifishot"). So yes, kill the things. She gets heavy physical resistance while the elementals are up, and of course the elementals themselves are heavily physically resistant to begin with.

This means you want ether damage. Which means Melia, Riki, or both. The usual recommendation for party if you're struggling with that fight is Melia (controlled), Riki, Sharla - they're all ether users (you may need to change up Riki's arts for this: his main ether damage is Burninate, Freezinate, and Lurgy heropon very cool) and you have two healers. Let Melia focus on killing the adds (they don't hit hard normally), while Riki tries to keep the boss's attention. Consider giving Riki an Aggro Up gem and Melia an Arts Stealth gem. If you think Riki's healing is enough, drop Sharla for Shulk, who's mostly on Monado Shield duty for Big Bang VI (which requires Monado Shield to be level 6+ of course).

Commands are super helpful for this fight. Use the come-to-me command if they're standing in the bad. Use the focus-attacks command to get Riki focusing on the boss.

You may run into issues with status effects in this fight as well: one of the boss's attacks can inflict confusion (making the targets wander around mindlessly and ignore commands, often dying to standing in poison), and another one can inflict Arts Seal (meaning you can't do anything but auto-attack for a while). Conveniently, the local enemies drop crystals with Confuse Resist and Arts Seal Resist, so you can make gems out of those to deal with that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Doc V posted:

Big Doll update this week!

An overview page on Dolls: http://xenobladex.jp/world/doll.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI69lrGxcks
-You gain access to Dolls when you reach a point in the story when you can apply for a Doll license
-Later in the story, you can develop a flight pack for your Dolls
-Light-type Dolls: less HP, high accuracy and evasion. High mobility in battle. Low fuel capacity, but low fuel consumption when flying. Relatively cheap.
-Middle-type Dolls: balanced and easy to use. All parts are well armored, so it's hard for enemies to break off parts. A bit on the expensive side.
-Heavy-type Dolls: very high HP and defense. High fuel capacity, allowing you to equip a lot of high-power weapons. Low mobility in battles, uses up a lot of fuel in flight. Expensive.

Doll battles and customization: http://xenobladex.jp/battle/battle10.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8oUJzlJ3c
-Hand weapons: modify how your Doll's autoattack works. Include rods, swords, assault rifles and shotguns
-8 other weapon slots give your Doll access to arts
-Back weapons: railgun, missile, grenade launcher etc. Give you high-powered arts
-Shoulder weapons: missile, chaingun, laser etc. Give you arts that are even more powerful than back weapon arts
-Arm weapons: shield, vulcan etc. Many support arts
-Spare weapons: beam saber, hand grenade etc. Quickly recharging arts
-Each weapon slot has left and right versions
-As usual, you can spend 3000 TP to activate Overclock Gear
-OC Gear lets you use Doll arts without spending any fuel
-When you use arts, there is a chance you'll go into cockpit mode, which recharges all your arts
-After you inflict Break on an enemy, you can Catch it, which prevents it from acting and makes all attacks against it hit automatically and deal extra damage
-Flying and using Doll arts spends Doll Fuel, which recharges when you're not piloting the Doll and can also be bought at NLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IwMoproWI0
-You can customize your Doll's equipment, color and name

Character pages for Dolls:

There's also a new page showing off Dolls customized by the staff: http://xenobladex.jp/character/miracollection_doll.html

New illustration: http://xenobladex.jp/gallery/gallery09.html

This week's Nopon gag page has screens of the Canyon of Forgetfulness: http://xenobladex.jp/special/sp-welcome20150416.html

Goddamn the illustrations look nice.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Levantine posted:

Goddamn the illustrations look nice.

Seriously. man i hope this game's good because I'm hype as hell

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I think I beat that boss and the next by using Melia, Riki and Dunban, going in with a full party meter, and using a chain attack to apply a bunch of DoTs with the maximum chain bonus, using Melia's talent art to keep the chain unbroken through different colours.

Then I stopped doing that, because having same-level bosses die in seconds wasn't any fun.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Killing two or more wisps will instead cause the boss to suffer a physical defense penalty, if you can take out four or more the boss gets a -100% penalty and you can do absurd damage until the next batch of wisps.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Pretty sure I used Melia for that boss fight and blew all the adds up when they spawned.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How are you guys killing them? Every time I try they get down to 1HP and then stop taking damage, like I threw two electric blasts and a blaze at one that was at 1HP and it didn't die until it used Sacrifishot. This applies to all of them, I haven't been able to kill one myself yet.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

They always suicide to die - you can't directly kill them - but you should be able to trigger them to suicide with Meltdown instead of Sacrifishot.

Although Sacrifishot timing is based on the boss (and how long the adds have been up?), not on add health per se. Could just have been coincidence. It's possible that they won't use Meltdown unless they're in range of a player; try having someone go stand by them if you've been kiting them at range.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I remember that fight being rougher than others, but I didn't have that hard a time with it. I was running Shulk/Reyn/Sharla, though, so having a 9999hp meat shield and a dedicated healer probably helped.

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Extremely long soundtrack preview out. It is generic Sawano music through and through and engrishy as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMmE6bsl_c

this stuff is very bad compared to what we got in the first game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So... seems I ragequit without saving last night. There goes three advanced art books and a couple of levels.

Didn't matter much, even at level 72, thanks to the advice from this thread I was able to beat her in one round using Melia/Riki/Dunban and lots of DoT attacks.

Onto the final dungeon!

(Don't actually tell me if it is or not)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
If it makes you feel better, I find that the boss you just beat is the worst in the whole game, barring Telethia who put up a Soul Read aura when you don't have enough of a monado gauge to use Purge even with Battle Soul (:argh:)

The good news is that several of the enemies in that dungeon drop some of the best weapons on the game, depending on your build, and that continues into the next dungeon; be sure to explore thoroughly, there are some Zelda style chests when you screw around with a setpiece!

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Zorato posted:

this stuff is very bad compared to what we got in the first game

I miss Yasunori and Shimamura so bad. What a horrible shame.

This new soundtrack. It is poo poo. The shittiest of lovely jrock anime lameness.

Oh god, please let there be a custom soundtrack option :pray:

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 18, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There won't.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Beat the game.

Final time 63:45, not counting aforementioned forgetting to save the game. Probably would have been much, much longer if I'd played this game like I did when I first played it, ie going around and talking to everyone, doing quests as often as possible, exploring really throughly, trying to build party affinity up, and gem crafting. Instead I ignored all that, save for a few stretches where I got bored and did some quests for the hell of it, otherwise I was running from plot-point to plot-point and only really explored each area enough to fill in the maps. (was following a guide online for that, too, so as soon as Location popped up I'd turn around and head the other way, so I wasn't exploring so much as getting all the EXP I could from exploring) Also I did a run near the end where I went to all the Heart-to-Hearts I could view and it turns out the ones at Alcamoth are locked out since you need to teleport up to them and welp teleporters don't work. Ah well.

Final boss fight and the ending were kinda cheesy but honestly it all fit together pretty well so I'm still not sure why people say the writing in the last part of the game is worse than the first half. Do some people just not like sappy happy endings? Or maybe it was the plot twist that very nearly came out of nowhere with so little buildup and so little relevance to the events going on right at that moment that soured people? Well, I guess I just don't see it. The plot for the game starts out just as cliche as it ends, it's the personality filled writing that makes it more than the sum of it's parts. That's just as true of the beginning as of the ending.

First thing I did after finishing was check out new game plus and HAHAHAHAHAHA Mumkhar in his Mechon outfit and Dunban swinging a very normal looking sword around but hey it's got the glowing circle in the right spot! Also very surprised Fiora kept the armour I got for her from all the way back when I first started the game. I'm very tempted to replay now just to see how silly everybody looks with endgame armour in their intros :allears: Also it wasn't until after I started new game plus that I realized Achievements are divided into Records and Trails, I never realized that even after I'd played through this game twice. :psyduck:

So, yeah, this is a good game but loving hell it's long. If I wasn't between jobs right now I don't think I would have beaten it at all, and the effort to beat it has completely hosed up my sleep schedule now. Worth it though. So loving hyped for the sequel now.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also I did a run near the end where I went to all the Heart-to-Hearts I could view and it turns out the ones at Alcamoth are locked out since you need to teleport up to them and welp teleporters don't work. Ah well.
There's a sidequest where you turn them back on

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Final boss fight and the ending were kinda cheesy but honestly it all fit together pretty well so I'm still not sure why people say the writing in the last part of the game is worse than the first half. Do some people just not like sappy happy endings? Or maybe it was the plot twist that very nearly came out of nowhere with so little buildup and so little relevance to the events going on right at that moment that soured people? Well, I guess I just don't see it. The plot for the game starts out just as cliche as it ends, it's the personality filled writing that makes it more than the sum of it's parts. That's just as true of the beginning as of the ending.
I think people are just of the final boss being a god in JRPGs

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Driving the motorcycle dolls around looks fun as heck. I look forward to playing the limited multiplayer with you guys.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im currently playing Xenoblade 3d on my n3ds, doing the battle vs the boss Telethia in the forest. My AI shulk wasted his power on something lovely and cant purge and now I whiff attacks for 10+ minutes, unable to die etc. Any way to change controlled characters mid battle or do I seriously lose 10 hrs of progress like that?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You just go back to the latest quick travel point you were at if you die, you lose absolutely nothing. Also you haven't saved in ten hours??

e: How are you unable to die?? Also Mind Read disappears after like a minute.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

He can't die because the party for that fight is Shulk and Alvis, and Alvis is unkillable. So yeah, you're stuck in a fight where you can't lose and you can only win really slowly unless you get lucky with Shulk's AI.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If it's the boss Telethia, then it's not the fight with unkillable Alvis. Deliberately dying should be an option; alternatively, you shouldn't have a 100% whiff rate so if your party is just goddamn refusing to die, you will eventually hit.

Also, Shulk gets an ability at level 32 that lets him sacrifice some HP for some talent (Monado) gauge, so you can use that. If you're below level 32 then a. that's not an option and b. you're a little low level for this boss anyway. It's level 36 nisi fallor, and the local enemies range from 27 to 35 so you could very reasonably gain some levels by wandering around and killing the local fauna.

Even if you don't level all the way up to 35-36 you should at least get to 32 for that ability. Getting to 34 will make the boss have a black tag instead of yellow (or red, if you're 30 or below), which will remove the level penalty from the accuracy and damage calculations. Being between +/-2 levels of a given enemy has a neutral effect level-wise. 3-5 levels below (yellow) is a moderate penalty and 3-5 levels above (blue) is a moderate bonus. 6+ levels below (red) is a big penalty and 6+ levels above (gray) is a big bonus.

The penalties and bonuses aren't flat within those tiers and do scale somewhat (e.g. 5 levels is a more pronounced effect than 3 levels), but going from 2 to 3 and going from 5 to 6 are where the big jumps in numbers (and also the more obvious color change of the enemy tag) happen.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

I miss Yasunori and Shimamura so bad. What a horrible shame.

This new soundtrack. It is poo poo. The shittiest of lovely jrock anime lameness.

Oh god, please let there be a custom soundtrack option :pray:

You mean ACE+ and Kiyota right? Yasunori did one flipping track and Shimamura did like six. ACE+ and Kiyota were responsible for 85% of the soundtrack in Xenoblade.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

planetarial posted:

You mean ACE+ and Kiyota right? Yasunori did one flipping track and Shimamura did like six. ACE+ and Kiyota were responsible for 85% of the soundtrack in Xenoblade.

Before Xenoblade I would have told you ACE+ is a really great bandage. So much respect for them, and those orchestral cuts.

And to be fair, Shimomura did eleven tracks for Xenoblade. Many exceptional musicians!

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 18, 2015

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm considering rebuying Xenoblade on the 3ds so I can actually play a fun character like dodgetank naked Dunban instead of Shulk (who I played before)

Hmm...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Been listening to the OST on repeat and saw this video while wandering the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRuqkUe-vQ

loving hell I need to step up and actually learn some guitar, that riff looks so fun.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
24 Hour Happy People

A Xenoblade Chronicles X short story by Kazuho Hyoudou

PART.4 - "The debate on whether Dolls should be human-shaped has much in common with the question of why most gods are depicted as humans"

It becomes easier to comprehend something beyond human understanding if can we use the figure of a human to provide something to latch on. Religious paintings leave an impression only because God has the same expressions as a person, and a human can pilot a machine as complex as a Doll only because it has arms and legs. Dolls are, to put it elegantly, no different from a friendly neighbor who caters to humans' selfish needs.
But right now I saw a Doll being treated like a freeloader, and two upstanding adults were arguing about which of them had the responsibility to evict it.
The Doll tried to shirk work, left its post while I wasn't looking and caused the accident on its own, so getting rid of it ain't my problem - that's what the foreman in charge of the expansion insisted.
Someone who worked at your site caused this mess, so you should be the ones who clean it up even if it's on my property - that's what the shopkeeper who had had half of his café blown away insisted.
The source of the heated argument was an industrial Doll that had fallen over at the construction site next door and stalled inside the shop. Its pilot had already been taken to the hospital, and the hostilities had started when the topic had turned to the question of who would get rid of the unmoving Doll.
Logically, the responsibility fell to the foreman, but it seemed things worked a bit differently in the Hacienda. The expansion itself wasn't officially sanctioned in the first place: the man calling himself foreman had started the operation of his own accord - that is to say, unauthorized - and had apparently intended to sell the resulting free space. And it wasn't like the Doll owner who caused the accident was actually working for him, he had just volunteered to lend a hand, hoping to get a share of any eventual profits. Therefore, the foreman could not be held accountable.
His argument was full of holes and it was dubious whether his story was even entirely true, but in the Hacienda, it all seemed to be common sense. The utterly absurd common sense of a gathering place for people who had had painful experiences with duties and contracts.

You just got unlucky when it fell into your shop so give the hell up already - in the end, the foreman spat out an outrageous statement. Naturally, the other man lost his temper and grabbed him by the collar. There was something shiny in the shopkeeper's hand: the bread knife he had been using to cut sandwiches...
I immediately broke into a run and grabbed him by the waist to stop him. Tony had watched the same events unfold and moved quickly, using both arms to push the shopkeeper and the foreman apart while wedging himself between them.
"Don't! That's for making food, not for hurting people!"
Unfortunately, the shopkeeper likely felt that he'd lose face if he backed down or that he couldn't ignore an insult on his home turf, because he wouldn't lend his ear to me and instead shouted things you'd expect to hear from a petty mobster.
"If the Doll is a problem, I can try to make it move!"
I yelled at the top of my lungs and the shopkeeper suddenly stopped. It was so sudden I nearly fell down and had to look up to see his face.
Really? He asked, and the foreman who had been at his throat a moment earlier followed up with: can you really do that, girl?
"If I just have to get it moving and out of here, I can probably do that in a sec-"
Oh, much obliged! This time, the café owner and the foreman talked over each other. The volatile atmosphere from just a second ago had vanished, and both of them looked at me with beaming faces. Just the annoyance getting unexpectedly dealt with had cheered them up to an astounding degree.
You see, even if I tried to get someone to take care of it, Doll owners seem like a pain to deal with, so really, thanks a lot - that was the foreman speaking. I learned from him that the industrial Doll in question had been subjected to various weird modifications and that it probably wouldn't attract very many buyers if you tried to sell it off.
"Weird modifications...?"
Apparently, in order to compete in Doll vs Doll hand-to-hand combat events that were occasionally held in the Hacienda, it had been tuned up in ways that weren't really suited for construction work. The mere existence of such events was surprising enough, but what surprised me even more was-
"Oh, there's a prize for becoming the champion? And it's... What!? The highest quality synthetic meat, the Fake Matsusaka!?"

As I had diagnosed, the damage to the Doll wasn't particularly severe; there weren't any particular difficulties in getting it to run again, and before long I succeeded in moving it out of the café.
Although the machine had originally come from the Formula series of Dolls which were used by the army as well, it had received significant revisions right down to the frame level while passing through the hands of its previous eccentric owners - its arms had swollen so much that it now looked like a gorilla. It looked very well suited to manual labor, which is probably why it had been allowed to participate in the expansion project in the first place, but on closer inspection the alterations to its arms had been just to add extra weight, increasing the robot's punching power, and the need to adjust the Doll's balance to compensate had been completely ignored. Of course a machine like that would fall down on the uneven terrain of a construction site - the accident had been inevitable.
I finally found a small vacant lot, brought the Doll to a halt and ran checks on all systems from the cockpit. The modifications were pretty gruesome, but at least the machine had been maintained fairly thoroughly and as far as I could tell, completing the repairs wouldn't require any replacing any parts.
"Lyn, are you sure about this?"
I heard Tony's voice from outside, and without taking my hands off my work I looked towards the entrance of the open-frame cockpit to respond.
"Absolutely. I wouldn't spend all this time cooped up in here otherwise"
Tony was asking me to confirm a decision I had made a while earlier - that I would take part in a hand-to-hand combat event held in the Hacienda, called the Bottoming.
Naturally, I had my eyes on the prize: synthetic meat of the highest quality.

After completing the sign-up procedure online, I got the permission to rent the broken Doll from its hospitalized owner. I didn't charge him for the cleanup and the repairs, and in exchange the rental fee was zero. Apparently the recklessly modified Doll was too much for even the owner to handle, since even though I had technically rented it, in practice I received full custody of the machine. That is, there would be no complaints regardless of how much I fiddled around with it. My enthusiasm towards entering the Bottoming shot up in an instant and I started excitedly inspecting the machine.
"But... don't you think this is pretty reckless?"
"This is a much easier way to get the meat than chasing after some missing shopkeeper whose trail has already gone completely cold anyway. I'm an expert on Dolls, you know!"
My triumphant proclamation was met with an awkward silence - finally, Tony's sigh broke it.
"Good grief... I should've known"
Tony heaved himself up and sat on the cockpit's front bumper.
"I don't know if you're overly optimistic or if you just don't know when to give up... Though I guess I don't know when to quit, either"
I peeked out from inside the cockpit - Tony's eyes were looking somewhere far away, lonely. I don't like seeing people beg for sympathy, but in Tony's case it wasn't intentional, it was something that had formed into a habit. When I thought of the events that had caused him to repeat that look until it stuck, I felt a small sting of sadness in my heart.
"Speaking of- Tony, do you know how to pilot a Doll?"
"Pilot a Doll? I've driven one around for fun before"
"When?"
"About five or six years ago, I think"
"I see. In that case, you should start training to get your instincts back in time for the Bottoming"
"Huh? Wait, hold on, are you saying that I'm going to be the one driving this thing!?"
Leaning forward, Tony peeked into the cockpit.
"The Bottoming is more or less a zero-distance close quarters fist fight between Dolls. What really matters there is the 'second' who assists the pilot and oversees the fight from a distance. You could even say that the whole outcome of the fight is decided by the quality of their advice"
I was about to explain further, but I saw the look on Tony's face. His expression was twisted as if he was seeing a very bad vision of the future.
"I doubt I can expect you to assess the situation and give advice better than me, so I'll have to be the second and you'll have to be the pilot"
"But... In that case, you should just find someone else to pilot-"
As Tony started his trademark buts, he averted his gaze, but I kept staring at him with solemn eyes.
"Tony, I said before that you shouldn't try to get back on your feet too quickly. But if you get depressed and keep doing nothing, that worries me too. So... wouldn't you rather let out your depression here? Pull out all the stops and put an end to it in one blow!"
"Lyn..."
His averted eyes returned to me once again. I wasn't so presumptuous as to think that I could persuade him, but if he understood what I wanted to say, I'd be happy. I knew there was no way it would get rid of the emotional baggage he was shouldering, but even so, I wanted him to seize the opportunity. The opportunity to once again cling onto life as hard as he could...
"All right. I've been wasting my life anyway, so I guess I'll do it even if it kills me"
Powerless, Tony grumbled and I shook my head at him.
"That's incorrect, Tony. People think that they can accomplish anything if they're willing to sacrifice themselves to do it, but that's a lie. What really makes humans capable of ridiculous feats is the will to survive!"
Tony responded to my words by bursting into laughter.
Between his guffaws, he once again said 'all right'.

The repairs and refitting of the Doll proceeded at such a fast pace that it surprised even myself.
I focused on the actual work and left tasks like procuring small parts to Tony, but it seemed that the people of the Hacienda loved to see a spectacle: as soon as they caught wind that we were doing something interesting, they started showing up day and night, bringing old machines they didn't use anymore.
Over the next few days, our workshop evolved into a small community. It felt a bit like a school club, but also a bit like a never-ending party. I felt very much at home there - I talked a lot with the Hacienda's inhabitants, happily ate lunch with them and most importantly succeeded in devoting myself entirely to my work.
In the time I spent there - though I had of course contacted the HQ, a nasty rumor or two might have sprung up about what I was doing in such a lawless place.
But it was all for the sake of meat. I couldn't go back until I had the prize.

Among all the people who visited us daily, there were a few who brought information about our foe - that is, the current champion.
The opponent's robot was nicknamed 'Club Man' and because it was, as expected, a modified construction Doll, it was quite the heavyweight. Since the battle arena was rather small, mobility wasn't very highly valued in the Bottoming. The contestants would grapple each other and try to gain victory by disabling their opponent through sheer strength, so the machines' weight had inevitably inflated. Even then, The Club Man was considered a heavyweight, so I imagined it had evolved into a massive dinosaur. That image was reinforced by the fact that everyone in the Hacienda knew the legend of the Invincible Club Man, as well as the fact that even though the original rule of the Bottoming had been that you had to defeat your opponent ten times in a row to win, it had been changed so that if you took the champion down even once you won instantly. Even the story behind the prize meat was that after the wins started piling up, the champion had gotten sick of ordinary prizes and started complaining.
And thus, I got the impression that our adversary was an enormous glutton. If that was the case, as a glutton myself, there was no way I would lose.
Thanks to the help of countless people, the remodeling was going better and better, and I ended up finishing far ahead of schedule.
Then came the day of the unveiling.
I named the finished machine 'New Order'.

Once the frame was finished, the was no reason to waste time. I promptly sent Club Man's team a message requesting them to face us at the Bottoming. The date in the so-called letter of challenge was up to the challenger to decide, and if the champion agreed, the Bottoming would be held on that day.
Soon after, I received an affirmative reply from the champion, and everyone at the workshop followed us like some kind of a parade as we marched New Order to the arena.

The arena was located at the center of the Hacienda.
It was a vacant lot that had probably originally been intended as a storage for raw materials, but now the space was divided by steel fences, and against the outer wall there were even structures resembling spectator stands. A great number of spectators had already rushed in, and amongst the cheers and jeers we brought the Doll to the challenger corner.
Looking towards the opposing champion corner, I saw the shape of Club Man. I couldn't quite make it out through the fences, but the silhouette of a disfigured dinosaur painted by my imagination didn't seem to have been too far off the mark.
I used a stepladder to ascend to the New Order's cockpit and spoke to Tony, who was sitting inside.
"Tony, are you nervous?"
"A bit"
"It's okay. As long as the start goes well, we can win. Power won't matter when we've got the upper hand in balance!"
"...Yeah. Well, I'll give it a shot. And I've got your secret weapon, too"
"Huh? Oh, that. I just thought it would be really cool, so don't expect too much-"
Suddenly, a siren blared, signaling the seconds to leave the arena. I stopped talking and made a good luck sign with my hand, but as I started to climb down from the cockpit, Tony called out to me.
"Lyn!"
"Yes?"
I stopped halfway down the ladder and looked up at Tony. He leaned out from the cockpit and looked down at me.
"The daughter I lost on Earth was about the same age as you. I don't intend to project her on you, but... I feel like your words give me strength!"
Tony's sudden bold statement was maybe a a bit presumptuous, but because he had decided to be honest with me, a strange feeling of satisfaction welled up within me.
"I'm happy to hear that, Tony"
"Thanks for everything, Lyn"
Tony finished speaking and disappeared into the cockpit. When I reached the bottom of the stepladder and touched the ground, New Order started walking towards the center of the field. As I saw it off, I contemplated Tony's words.
You words give me strength...
I see.
Maybe humans really can't live on food alone, right, Tony?

To be continued...

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
NEXT TIME ON 24 HOUR HAPPY PEOPLE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_67HYI5PdJ8

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm mad they can't figure out how to make their graphics engine that looks exactly like those pictures as it'd be the best thing ever. At least the robots will look good.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its that 6 min thing they did but now with captions. Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq-ZWpC7xu8

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I bring Chronicles chat up here instead of the 3D thread? Figured this would be the better place for it.

Just wondering if there's anything I really should do before moving the plot on.

Got to the Machina village and got the hit job to go kill Egil. Colony 6 is all level 3 and outside the Machina village my reputation is 4* everywhere and I have Monado Eater, and Shulk, Sharla, Reyn, Riki and Melia's 4th skill tree unlocked. I heard stuff starts becoming super missable around this point and not entirely sure what I should be doing as I don't want to miss out on cool things.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's nothing particularly cool missable, but if you do quests around the village you're at, you'll unlock the best Monado art in the game.

You get it by doing the "Protect the Village" quest you get from Eleqa, and then "Stop the Mechon Rampage" that she gives afterwards. She's near the entrance to the village, and you need a bit more than 1 star affinity with the village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

if you're worried about missing stuff, just do any quests with a timer symbol next to them before you move the plot on and you won't go wrong
if your rep's that high everywhere you've probably got nothing to worry about

• Locked thread