Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

T-man posted:

He's still hot.

A horrible father, though.

He's aged really badly compared to Eglamore, who is still smoking hot and is occasionally mistaken for his teenaged cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Tenebrais posted:

Rereading The Stone recently, Surma explicitly chose Tony over Jimmy Jims. Whatever her reason for choosing him, she at least had one; it wasn't just a case of him being the only human male around when fire needed to spread.

I must say, reading The Stone backwards (so, chronologically from Jones' perspective) is interesting.

Anyways, I remember back when the parents were kids, it was noted that Surma doesn't like Jones. But we know that Jones and Eglamore have a particularly close relationship, based on The Stone. So it may be that to a certain extent, Surma turned down Eglamore because of it.

...just a thought.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

T-man posted:

He's still hot.

A horrible father, though.

Tony has aged like fine milk.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Blackheart posted:

I won't say that Anthony is a good dad but I will say that he's a dad who is likely trying his best.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
My suspicion is that Eglamore and Surma had a falling out that Eglamore perceived as "taking a break" when it was actually "we're done."

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The last panel of the next comic is just going to be Kat's shocked face as Annie tells her Renard is gone or that she has to give him to her Dad.

And then Monday's comic will be a pigeon loving around on the street outside for 6 panels.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tony is interesting, and that's good.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wulfolme posted:

The last panel of the next comic is just going to be Kat's shocked face as Annie tells her Renard is gone or that she has to give him to her Dad.

And then Monday's comic will be a pigeon loving around on the street outside for 6 panels.

drat close

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Oh gently caress yes, it's on now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What would happen if someone stole Reynardine? I guess she could probably track him down in the aether.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yep, that crosses a line alright.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh, phew. She's "about to give" Renard to her dad, so this situation is still reversable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kat retracts her 'Annie is not stupid' stance.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Okay, this is the second page in this chapter that's made me like Annie a lot, lot less.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aumanor posted:

Okay, this is the second page in this chapter that's made me like Annie a lot, lot less.

she is literally an emotionally traumatized abused child

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Fucknag posted:

An emotionally traumatised abused child who's about to give her abuser a control over a living, sentient being. And is infuriatingly nonchalant about it. Anthony's a monster alright, but what Annie's doing is pretty monstrous in its own right

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm glad this thread has gone to apologizing for an abusive parent to blaming the victim of the abuse, it's a good look

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This is good for Antimony. Reynardine tried to kill her one time ages ago and has experienced no character growth whatsoever in the thousand intervening pages which have also offered no explanation for why he tried to do that other than his inherent malevolence so it's only right that he be taken away from her. He is the real abuser here, not Antimony's father.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Remember, THIS was her actual reaction to being given this order. She is very much NOT okay with the transfer, despite how it appears on this page. She is just utterly incapable of disobeying her father, in a way that's actually extremely terrifying. She reacts to her father with complete emotional shutdown and wide-eyed obedience, even for an instruction she's opposed to as much as she possibly could be. It's why some people have wacky mind control theories going on, though it's probably more about pure psychological terribleness.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"Father thinks it's the right thing to do. And Father is a right, correct, good man who loves me. Thusly, if Father thinks it's the right thing to do than it must be the correct thing to do, no matter how... strange I may think it is at first."

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fucknag posted:

Plz dont engage emotionally stunted posters, they cannot comprehend this thing we like to call...... """Emotions"""

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The way she phrases it is interesting, too: "I am to give him to my father". Not only is there no personal agency in that sentence, there's not even a "have to" or a "supposed to". Father said something is going to happen, so it's going to happen. His word isn't even law, his word is truth. Her carrying out the action is just incidental.

The more I think about it, Anthony's relationship with his daughter is scary as hell.

EDIT: (p.s. don't engage the troll)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 17, 2015

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Plz dont engage emotionally stunted posters, they cannot comprehend this thing we like to call...... """Emotions"""

Sorry for sympathysing with Renard, who's about to become a possession of a man he absolutely hates, and who we have very good basis to consider an absolute monster, over the person who's giving him over, I guess.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

My guess is Kat is going to take Renard against Annie's will, which would maybe break Annie's ownership of him.

...honestly I just can't imagine a situation where Renard isn't leading the charge against Anthony, so to speak.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how Annie is going to take her friend calling her beloved father a loving shitfucker if 'jerk' got her pissed enough to judo Zimmy.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

I wonder how Annie is going to take her friend calling her beloved father a loving shitfucker if 'jerk' got her pissed enough to judo Zimmy.

Glad to see we're still going the "Kat is totally a goon" path.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Fucknag posted:

In fact, let's unpack this a little.
When Annie first gets to school it's likely weeks after her mother died, a process which Annie had to do herself. Her response is to clam up completely, and she's stuck like that until Kat becomes close friends with her. Then there's the adventure with Reynard where she discovers that her dad has vanished. She responds by saying "maybe I displeased him, or he wants nothing more to do with me."

When someone blames themselves for the lovely things other people do, that's really bad. That's one of the most insidious effects of abuse, making the victim feel like they deserve it. And this is Annie's first year at school! She sure didn't get this from Tony's effective presence in school, Dad of the year must've taken time out of his busy surgeon schedule to instill this cowering meekness in Annie while she was in the hospital.

But hey, separated from her father Annie has made a vast journey becoming her own person, accepting the death of her mother, learning to make friends, and growing into a career as the medium of the forest! These are important things, especially for a girl who got none of that for... what, ten years? More?
Which is why it's extraordinarily lovely for Tony to come back and say none of that matters, get your grades up.

Ah well. I can only hope that Kat can shake Annie out of this reverie she's in right now. I also hope Annie is so spaced she just didn't connect the dots on how she's effectively imprisoning Renard. Because if she goes along with this even against Kat's protests, well, I can only imagine something extremely drastic happening next.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Kat, take the doll and run

gently caress the metaphysical consequences, just do it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Good Kat.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

My guess is Kat is going to take Renard against Annie's will, which would maybe break Annie's ownership of him.

...honestly I just can't imagine a situation where Renard isn't leading the charge against Anthony, so to speak.
How about Kat leading the charge against Anthony?
I do expect the chapter to be very much about Kat.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Anthony might and probably has good intentions, but in the end, they don't really matter. His first few orders were kind of understandable, though the delivery was bad. His last few, while understandable if you squint (Rey is still considered a murderer only kept at bay by his bindings) are just straight lovely.

Kat grabbing Rey and running to trigger the breaking of the charm might be smart.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

Anthony might and probably has good intentions, but in the end, they don't really matter. His first few orders were kind of understandable, though the delivery was bad. His last few, while understandable if you squint (Rey is still considered a murderer only kept at bay by his bindings) are just straight lovely.

Kat grabbing Rey and running to trigger the breaking of the charm might be smart.

I don't know if that'd break it, though. The Court thought it was a risk but I never took it as guaranteed.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Iceclaw posted:

Watch it happen and get somebody killed.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Watch it happen and get somebody killed.

There was a whole chapter dedicated to showing that now Rey is not down with murder.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Aumanor posted:

Sorry for sympathysing with Renard, who's about to become a possession of a man he absolutely hates, and who we have very good basis to consider an absolute monster, over the person who's giving him over, I guess.

Your sympathy is not misplaced and I agree with you. However I also feel sympathy towards Annie because her father is forcing her and she is undergoing a gigantic loving mental breakdown at this time. So I don’t blame her for being a victim of her father machinations.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 17, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Iceclaw posted:

There was a whole chapter dedicated to showing that now Rey is not down with murder.
Tell that to Hettie :unsmigghh:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The only person I could see Reynard murdering is Anthony. That would be hella awkward.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Splicer posted:

Tell that to Hettie :unsmigghh:

Weird shrimpspirits are not people. :colbert: Even moreso when they are sociopathic weird shrimpspirits.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rey's body gets destroyed and with only Kat around to possess Reynardine willingly dies. Annie's dad then forbids her from taking him into the Ether and Rey's spirit refuses anyone else, Fun Time with Reynardine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Demiurge4 posted:

Rey's body gets destroyed and with only Kat around to possess Reynardine willingly dies. Annie's dad then forbids her from taking him into the Ether and Rey's spirit refuses anyone else, Fun Time with Reynardine.

If this happens I hope Reynard decides the best course of action is to take the form of a giant pile of dongs and just hover in front of Anthony 24/7

Good luck getting anything done or being taken seriously by anyone now, idiot.