Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want those speakers shown halfway down the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Some guy in the article compares pressing a record to wine making. Sounds about right, the same level of bullshit applies

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was going through the stack of records my parents gave me and sorting out the playable from the unplayable and found this

weed is my dad's best mate who overdosed on heroin when he was about my age, he's never told me about him but mum filled me in over the years, I got an odd surge of emotion finding this

bowmore fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 16, 2015

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
So I'm looking to buy a turntable. I want something manual, direct drive, with a cue lever and no pre amp, preferably with an S tone arm, but I haven't found a model with those exact specs. I've been looking at the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB which fits everything nicely with the exception of a pre amp, which I can probably do away with myself one night. Is there a model that fits my criteria that I won't have to gently caress around with or is modding a LP120 the best way for me to get what I want?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SlipUp posted:

So I'm looking to buy a turntable. I want something manual, direct drive, with a cue lever and no pre amp, preferably with an S tone arm, but I haven't found a model with those exact specs. I've been looking at the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB which fits everything nicely with the exception of a pre amp, which I can probably do away with myself one night. Is there a model that fits my criteria that I won't have to gently caress around with or is modding a LP120 the best way for me to get what I want?
the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB is what your looking for if you don't want to spend a terrible amount of cash

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also you don't have to use the pre amp, it's just there. But yeah it's a good choice.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

SlipUp posted:

Used SL-1200MK2

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

bowmore posted:

the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB is what your looking for if you don't want to spend a terrible amount of cash

Yah, I can get a a new one for $250, half of what it's competing models are at.

Dogen posted:

Also you don't have to use the pre amp, it's just there. But yeah it's a good choice.

Apparently, and I don't know if this is always the case, even when you turn the preamp off on the at-lp120 it still runs through the preamp circuit board which contains capacitors that negatively affect sound quality. I thought it was some audio voodoo bullshit at first but apparently this is actually A Thing when it comes to that model. I am planning to get two so maybe I can run a side by side comparison but apparently putting the preamp back in can be a pain in the rear end.

Which brings me to

Anime Sandwich posted:

Used SL-1200MK2

This is perfect, except at ~$450 I can get two lp-12's. No luck on Kijiji in my area, but I see they commonly start around $250 on ebay. Unfortunately being a filthy Canadian I'm gonna have to pay import fees and international shipping which comes out to about $100-$150. If I get really lucky I can get one for about $500. (E: forgot about exchange rate.) sigh. Any chance they get re-continued?

E2: For clarification, I'm planning to use these professionally so theother sticking point is the durability of the lp-12's. If I'm gonna break them moving them around or having some drunk gently caress with them I might spring for the SL which is supposedly durable as gently caress.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 16, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I spent about 450 on my 1200M3D and don't regret it, but it came from a repair shop with new tonearm and wiring, so I feel like it was a fair deal. If it's something you're going to use for years and you care so much about the sound quality that you're willing to start jacking with pulling a preamp out of a new table, it might be worth the extra cash.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Dogen posted:

I spent about 450 on my 1200M3D and don't regret it, but it came from a repair shop with new tonearm and wiring, so I feel like it was a fair deal. If it's something you're going to use for years and you care so much about the sound quality that you're willing to start jacking with pulling a preamp out of a new table, it might be worth the extra cash.

Now that i think about it, there is a repair shop in town, maybe I should go check it out. I was feeling apprehensive about loving around with the lp-12's too in case I break them trying to get the pre amp out. Maybe I'll just spring for one 1200 now and another later.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Who's ready for RSD?!?! I know I can't loving wait to stand in line for 45 minutes only to find that the one copy of the one thing I actually wanted was purchased by the 3rd person to enter the store. But no fear, there's a heap of other crap withheld from shelves for months and priced up for this special occasion I can buy!!!

The only store around here doing something good for RSD is so physically small that half a dozen people can uncomfortably cram in there and is a hellish sweatbox on a normal day.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be totally happy if they got rid of RSD

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SlipUp posted:

Yah, I can get a a new one for $250, half of what it's competing models are at.

Apparently, and I don't know if this is always the case, even when you turn the preamp off on the at-lp120 it still runs through the preamp circuit board which contains capacitors that negatively affect sound quality. I thought it was some audio voodoo bullshit at first but apparently this is actually A Thing when it comes to that model. I am planning to get two so maybe I can run a side by side comparison but apparently putting the preamp back in can be a pain in the rear end.

Which brings me to

I've had that turntable for years now and I've never noticed this issue or heard about it before. My turntable is the older model without the USB thing if that makes any difference. I also replaced the stock cart with an AT440MLa.

luncheon meat posted:

Who's ready for RSD?!?! I know I can't loving wait to stand in line for 45 minutes only to find that the one copy of the one thing I actually wanted was purchased by the 3rd person to enter the store. But no fear, there's a heap of other crap withheld from shelves for months and priced up for this special occasion I can buy!!!

The only store around here doing something good for RSD is so physically small that half a dozen people can uncomfortably cram in there and is a hellish sweatbox on a normal day.

A few of the places I go to will let regular customers just request specific items because they can more or less tell who is actually going to listen to the records and who just wants to sell them for insane markups on ebay. Maybe the shops in your area just suck.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

luncheon meat posted:

Went over the list again, and I'm still underwhelmed. Probably pick up the J Dilla gently caress the Police because I am a sucker for gimmicks and I might grab the second volume of the Miles Davis box set only because I don't know if I'll find it for cheap in a few months in Virginia.

The KMD pop up book sounds kind of interesting but it's a CD release and not vinyl. What is this, 2002? :rolleyes:

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Most of the stores where I am are okay but the one that gets most RSD stuff is an enormous ripoff on any given day. $25 new releases at $40+ and special RSD stuff for ridiculous prices. I posted these pics I took there a while back..

luncheon meat posted:

$22.41 & $14.56 discogs.

I guess it's mainly because they know people will buy stuff at that price. The people who'll buy reissues of dollar bin albums because they're on 180gm vinyl (or because they don't know any better) then take them home to play on their cheap nasty department store belt drive turntables.

Wouldn't mind that Dilla release though...

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

CPL593H posted:

I've had that turntable for years now and I've never noticed this issue or heard about it before. My turntable is the older model without the USB thing if that makes any difference. I also replaced the stock cart with an AT440MLa.

It's the USB ones apparently.

I looked a little harder and found the AT LP-1240USB which has a better pre-amp and a better bypass, and a few other nice features like battle/mix config, RCA jacks rather then an RCA cable, and ballin torque for $320 canadian used, which is still in my price range.

For anyone else looking, here are some comparable "like new" models in terms of specs sorted by cost

AT LP-1240USB - $320
Stanton ST.150 - $450
Technic 1200MK2 - $550

I've used the ST.150 before so maybe I'll post a review/comparison when my 1240 comes in.

Honestly, the 1200MK2 gets a lot of praise but I don't think it's worth the hassle. A new one out of the box is over a grand, decades old ones missing random poo poo are running $500.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The one RSD release I wanted (of Montreal's live album) has been delayed so won't turn up in Australia until next week. I guess I can skip the queues tomorrow!

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
RSD seemed neat when I first got into the hobby but the last two years there hasn't been anything I really wanted and the years before that I was often just buying a few things more to support my local store than out of desire. I think it was about when they launched RSD:2 the sequel that I decided it's more cynical cash grab than support of a hobby.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
well poo poo... apparently I already missed out on the special edition vinyl colors of the new John Carpenter album. Still might have to pick this up

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/sbr123-john-carpenter-lost-themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNuWCjc-bg

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

RSD seemed neat when I first got into the hobby but the last two years there hasn't been anything I really wanted and the years before that I was often just buying a few things more to support my local store than out of desire. I think it was about when they launched RSD:2 the sequel that I decided it's more cynical cash grab than support of a hobby.

The first couple years of Record Store Day were really different before it became A Thing. It was pretty low key and there was none of this bullshit with lines outside the stores or ebay flippers. It was more of a fun promotion than "AN EVENT!". I think part of the reason is that the vinyl records are more of fad than they were back then.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Creature posted:

The one RSD release I wanted (of Montreal's live album) has been delayed so won't turn up in Australia until next week. I guess I can skip the queues tomorrow!

That's pretty fortunate! There's one (ONE) copy of the Dilla release at the good store here so I feel like I've got no chance. Oh well.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

MMD3 posted:

well poo poo... apparently I already missed out on the special edition vinyl colors of the new John Carpenter album. Still might have to pick this up

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/sbr123-john-carpenter-lost-themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNuWCjc-bg

I pre-ordered that album the second I heard it was available and still missed out on the limited colored versions so don't feel bad.

It's a fantastic album btw.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

There are 0 good releases for this year's Record Store Day (not buying another copy of Time to Die), which is good because I don't want to be tempted to participate in that shitshow again

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Is there any benefit to waiting until the day after to shop, or do things just go back to regular price instead of post-Xmas drops?

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

SlipUp posted:

Honestly, the 1200MK2 gets a lot of praise but I don't think it's worth the hassle.
You mentioned wanting to use the turntables professionally and for this option my opinion is don't bother with anything other than the 1200s, it's been THE professional turntable for more than 40 years and everything else your looking at won't even come close to comparing to it or it's durability. It'll also hold it's value more than any other turntable, I've had mine for almost 10 years and routinely packed them into thier flight cases and took them out weekly for years. If I wanted to sell them today I could probably make over $500 on what I paid for them including the flight cases without much hassle. The stanton is ok but basically baby's first DJ turntable and they break easy and the AT is fine if you just want a cheap halfway decent turntable. If you stick with it or are serious about it you're going to end up with 1200s anyways.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol someone in this vinyl facebook group i'm on posted some RSD releases they got from a friend who owns a record shop and they're getting the total piss knocked out of them by everyone

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Possibly Chicken posted:

Lol someone in this vinyl facebook group i'm on posted some RSD releases they got from a friend who owns a record shop and they're getting the total piss knocked out of them by everyone

Good for him. Pissing people off is an added bonus to the inside hookup. :smug:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -