Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Nope, but that was never the plan. It would have upset my wife. I asked for a picture of her with it but she played shy and refused, but she was over the moon about it. I made her swear on her life to take pictures when she gets it painted.

Thanks again.

I'd like to see them- I've given a lot to Goons (mostly the oath thread), so I'd like to not get shat on Quite so much for saying £20 for a single jetbike is a bit much !

Also, I wasn't sure it'd arrived ok :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Pic dump from yesterdays game against JackMack

Deploying...

The Knight has his eye on a Rhino...

Reserves... confusing which side is which (Stormtalon got his base repaired mid game)

Bane of the Treacherous, Freeblade Knight (who had his stubber also repaired as we went along)

Drop Pods land turn 1 and blow up the METAL BAWWWKSES

The Dreadnought is displeased by this.

"Wait... how many of each side are even in this combat?"

Scouts v Devastators went on the entire goddamn game. I would give it to the Scouts, as they held strong.

Assault Marines v Sternguard. Marines ended up winning after a brutal 3 turn combat where Hallucination neutered them. Just couldn't pull off the combat, but there were only 3 left by the end.

The Knight chases the Land Raider (eventually catching and doing 20 pens on it after a few Destroyer rolls)

The Dread finally reaches the Scouts! And promptly fails his charge. The Scouts held strong...

2 marines frop my original 5 man drop teams had scrapped with 2 of JackMack's marines for 3 turns before finally winning combat... only to run into the Command Squad and take something like 15 power sword wounds to the face.

Overall a great game, good to have fully painted armies represented on the tabletop. I wish JackMack best of luck in his upcoming tournament!

These are good. My favourite is the dreadnought implacably advancing on the scouts for the whole game and then standing there, menacingly at the critical moment or the bravery evident inthe land raider precision parking to avoid the wrath of the knight (stupid idea)

It was up there with my most enjoyable games ever.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 16, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone got a map I can straight up steal that would be great for a 6 player 40k campaign that would last about 5 turns?

Edit: Compulsory GW hilarity. In the Warzone Damnos book, they have a Pedro Kantor painted up as a deathwatch marine.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 17, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Renfield posted:

I'd like to see them- I've given a lot to Goons (mostly the oath thread), so I'd like to not get shat on Quite so much for saying £20 for a single jetbike is a bit much !

Also, I wasn't sure it'd arrived ok :)

£20 for a single jetbike is definitely a bit much.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want all my warhams made in China by people that make $5 a day so I can have my $15 box of space marines. Do it, GeeDubs

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
How's that computer/smartphone/everythingelectronicyouown working out for you?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
I want all of my thread posts to be false dichotomies with the assumption that the only possible options are "slave labor" and "be willing to pay literally any amount of money no matter how much for plastic toys."

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
You're doing it all wrong. You can't be self aware.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AbusePuppy posted:

I want all of my thread posts to be false dichotomies with the assumption that the only possible options are "slave labor" and "be willing to pay literally any amount of money no matter how much for plastic toys."

I'm just poo poo posting.

I think the price of things needs to come down as a new player that wants to get involved more. Things like a box of tactical marines could really stand to come down to $30 instead of the $40 that they are, and I'm sure that can be done without outsourcing their labor overseas. It's just discouraging going in to a store and looking at two boxes of models and knowing that it's going to run up to $100 after tax.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I'm fairly certain all their plastics are already made overseas. Have you checked the source of the product lately? It could be why all the resin knock offs are so easy to do, since those 5 dollar a day workers can get with their cousins down the block and together make 30 buck resin Riptides after the factory closes down for the night.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

spacegoat posted:

How's that computer/smartphone/everythingelectronicyouown working out for you?

It's pretty sweet tbh. I have all my stolen rule books in pdfs on my phone.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Doctor Borris posted:

I'm fairly certain all their plastics are already made overseas. Have you checked the source of the product lately? It could be why all the resin knock offs are so easy to do, since those 5 dollar a day workers can get with their cousins down the block and together make 30 buck resin Riptides after the factory closes down for the night.

All of their plastics are made either in Nottingham or Memphis. That's it. It's one of the few genuinely and entirely admirable things about the company.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

All of their plastics are made either in Nottingham or Memphis. That's it. It's one of the few genuinely and entirely admirable things about the company.

The Wall of Martyrs stuff is made in China, though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DO IT TO IT posted:

The Wall of Martyrs stuff is made in China, though.
Terrain tends to be made overseas when it's big kits like that, but the minis (and even a lot of the books) are made in the UK.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

In some countries/industries there are laws that regulate what you can and can't put in credits. For games made in America, for example, if 100 people were voice actors on GTA and one of them was unionized and 99 weren't you couldn't include the other 99 people in the credits without breaking your union contract. You could give them 'special thanks', but you couldn't list them as an actor.

Not saying it's the case here, but I really doubt they pulled author names because somebody was hurting their feelings. More likely, they did it because books with names sold worse than books without them OR they lost some of their best talent so there was no fancy name to put on the cover. Either case is impossible though, because GW conducts absolutely no marketing research.

Agreed, if GW hasn't cared about anything else its' customers have bellyached about, they aren't going to start with taking authors' names off of codexes because people said terrible things about Mat Ward (or Cruddace, or Gav Thorpe, or whoever). My guess is that it's possible that someone started moaning about how since it's their book with their name on the cover, they should start receiving more compensation/have more say in the way things are going regarding whatever game they were writing for (or something that basically made GW go "ok we need to slap this person down a notch or two"). Something like that, anyways.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dumb rules question. If a model has a pistol, but no CCW, does that mean it gets a "free" CCW because it doesn't have a weapon with the melee type? In other words, if a model is only armed with a pistol, does it get +1 extra attacks for having 2 weapons?

I'm looking at the pistol entries on page 41/42 which contradict each other. One says pistols "count as a CCW in the assault phase" and on the other page it says they "can be used as a CCW". Then there's the no melee weapon rule with 'unless it's specifically stated you have a weapon with the Melee type, your model is treated as having a single CCW.'

I love this well written game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Dumb rules question. If a model has a pistol, but no CCW, does that mean it gets a "free" CCW because it doesn't have a weapon with the melee type? In other words, if a model is only armed with a pistol, does it get +1 extra attacks for having 2 weapons?

I'm looking at the pistol entries on page 41/42 which contradict each other. One says pistols "count as a CCW in the assault phase" and on the other page it says they "can be used as a CCW". Then there's the no melee weapon rule with 'unless it's specifically stated you have a weapon with the Melee type, your model is treated as having a single CCW.'

I'm going to guess that if a dude only has a pistol he doesn't get a bonus attack since it counts as a close combat weapon and he wouldn't be entitled to a "free" one. Seems pretty simple to me.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
My guess: if you choose to not use a pistol as melee weapon, you get a free ccw, but since the pistol doesn't count as a second melee weapon your model is still stuck with a single attack.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

spacegoat posted:

You're doing it all wrong. You can't be self aware.

I am a Space Marine.

My fandom isn't horrifically overpriced.

... Thank you, Tumblr.

Star Man posted:

I want all my warhams made in China by people that make $5 a day so I can have my $15 box of space marines. Do it, GeeDubs

They are already doing it. I've mentioned before that my brother impulse-bought the space fortress thing Aquila Strongpoint and it 1) says "Made In China" on the box 2) there is no sprue inside, the sprue material was clearly and unmistakably ripped off by actual people working in some horrid dungeon.

"Asian people have smaller hands for soldering electronics!" -An Actual hosed Up Human Being in the 1980's.
"If we outsource labor prices will go down!" -A Marketing Expert That Knows Prices Will Go UP Along With Profits

:capitalism:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 17, 2015

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

My guess: if you choose to not use a pistol as melee weapon, you get a free ccw, but since the pistol doesn't count as a second melee weapon your model is still stuck with a single attack.

Yes, otherwise tactical marines would get an extra attack and then they would be equally as effect in assault as assault marines.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ZachAttack posted:

Actually I really appreciate the feedback! I have no idea how to price this stuff so I mostly just took the GW price for the individual pieces and took %30 off. How much was the old BF MSRP/RRP?

I think it was £60 - I don't know the american price, but the exchange rate is almost exactly 2:3 right now. Plenty of online stores go down to 25% off retail, so if I were selling NOS models I would probably try and get 25-30% off retail for them. Hope that helps, I'd buy the buggers myself if we weren't on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

This loving game. If not for the "counts as a CCW" passage, then technically yes the model would get a free invisible CCW and get +1 attack. The passage about counting-as having a CCW only exists to counter-act other grognards that would say, "Your model doesn't have a weapon therefore it doesn't get to attack in close combat." I remember as far back as 3rd edition some people were confused about if you could swing a bolter in close combat or not.

But it doesn't. This is even worse than people that say you can't use a pistol in close combat after you shoot it. This (and editorial laziness) is why Games Workshop inserted a section into the rules about not being a thick-skulled donk starting in 6th edition.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
In the nick of time! Just sold my Eldar codex a few minutes ago, already received payment! I hope this guy doesn't check the GW website this weekend.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

krushgroove posted:

In the nick of time! Just sold my Eldar codex a few minutes ago, already received payment! I hope this guy doesn't check the GW website this weekend.

Do you feel bad a lil?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

This loving game. If not for the "counts as a CCW" passage, then technically yes the model would get a free invisible CCW and get +1 attack. The passage about counting-as having a CCW only exists to counter-act other grognards that would say, "Your model doesn't have a weapon therefore it doesn't get to attack in close combat." I remember as far back as 3rd edition some people were confused about if you could swing a bolter in close combat or not.

But it doesn't. This is even worse than people that say you can't use a pistol in close combat after you shoot it. This (and editorial laziness) is why Games Workshop inserted a section into the rules about not being a thick-skulled donk starting in 6th edition.

I'm reminded of the 5E Necron codex - the Canoptek Wraiths could buy a chest-mounted particle caster (S6AP5 pistol, essentially) for 5P - paired with them obviously having close combat implements of some sort you'd expect they'd get an extra attack out of it but of course when somebody asked, the FAQ ruled 'no'. Meanwhile Canoptek Spyders could buy the fabricator claw array that gave them the repair ability AND said 'this counts as a close combat weapon' - again, somebody asked if the extra CCW would give them an extra attack and the answer was 'no'. Why the hell did they even feel the need to add the note, then?

poo poo like this is why me and my buds have been tempted to make a 'for common sense' set of houserules for our mancave.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 17, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Moola posted:

Do you feel bad a lil?

Maybe the guy's a collector, who knows?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I finally finished my havoc squad for my Black Legion army. I hate assembling these loving metal autocannon bits. Beats finecast, though.

The best part is that this gives me 1,500 points of Black Legion*, finally. Wooooo! It's a pretty poo poo army as-is, but I don't care. Have some lovely photos!

*I have more, but I only play with painted mans.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
You could've just converted some autocannons out of the heavy bolters no one uses :v:

Your army is :krad: though. Despite being the 'generic' legion I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually PLAY a Black Legion force, so bonus points on that.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Great painting on those Black Legion rhinos, looks sharp.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
That army coupled with the fact that I just finished the Talon of Horus book has convinced me to get back to painting CSM. Just ordered a Chaos Lord kit to make a counts-as Abbadon (I loath the "current" model).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

That army coupled with the fact that I just finished the Talon of Horus book has convinced me to get back to painting CSM. Just ordered a Chaos Lord kit to make a counts-as Abbadon (I loath the "current" model).

The sword from the DV chaos lord would be perfect for Drach'nyen.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

BULBASAUR posted:

This is the first "exploit" people were wondering about in 6th. The rules are actually pretty clear though: Pistols count as close combat weapons. You look up what a close combat weapon is and under its entry on page 41 it has Type: Melee. Therefore Pistol has Type: Melee and the model has a weapon with the Melee type.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Stupid rules question since I haven't used a Walker before.

The Skitarii chickenbots have a S+3 AP- lance, but since the unit type is 'Walker' they get Smash, so the lance attacks are all AP2, correct?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Walkers don't get smash.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TKIY posted:

Stupid rules question since I haven't used a Walker before.

The Skitarii chickenbots have a S+3 AP- lance, but since the unit type is 'Walker' they get Smash, so the lance attacks are all AP2, correct?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Walkers don't get smash.

Bingo.

They DO get Hammer of Wrath though.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
drat I thought that they did.

So S8 AP- then. How does that make sense? Like being hit really hard with a pillow.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

Mine's a kitbash of the finecast abaddon model with the plastic Terminator Lord. I used Abaddon's top-knot, shoulder trophies, talon, and sword. I made the chest decor using a plastic skull from the chaos vehicle upgrade kit and some green stuff. The Abaddon bits fit fine, though you want to use the plastic chaos lord head--the finecast one is tiny.

Here are some old poo poo photos of him for (semi) detail:

On that note, here's a gallery of all my BL dudes so far for anyone interested:
http://imgur.com/a/JpFCu

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 17, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

Do you feel bad a lil?

Caveat Emptor mother fucker. It's OK Moola, when a ham is spurned by their beloved game it takes them one step closer to quitting it forever; krushgroove probably did the guy a favor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Agreed, if GW hasn't cared about anything else its' customers have bellyached about, they aren't going to start with taking authors' names off of codexes because people said terrible things about Mat Ward (or Cruddace, or Gav Thorpe, or whoever). My guess is that it's possible that someone started moaning about how since it's their book with their name on the cover, they should start receiving more compensation/have more say in the way things are going regarding whatever game they were writing for (or something that basically made GW go "ok we need to slap this person down a notch or two"). Something like that, anyways.

Actually, around the time they stopped using author names Jervis Johnson was publicly extremely hosed off with the Matt Ward hate. I was in the room with him when someone asked a thinly veiled Ward question during a seminar. I have no doubt in my mind that they dropped the credit in a direct response to the ludicrous internet vitriol.

Not everything needs to be a retarded conspiracy theory about how evil GW is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Ward was (is he still with GW?) the best codex writer. All of his books were good and the only reason people hated him was because they used codexes where cruddace assigned point values using a dartboard.

• Locked thread